Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

rafikki posted:

lol CNN. I’ve been in Colombia for a week and haven’t seen a message like this yet but I’m on my iphone using private relay, with 1Blocker installed so I feel better about my privacy than whatever BS CNN has in mind.

lol aight throw CNN on the pile I guess. Maybe this one will be better: TV weatherman who called out his employer is fired

Failing that just search for: "joe crain code red"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

My cheap smart tv used to be pretty simpel and easy to use, if a bit slow with the inputs. If I pressed the home button on the remote it'd bring up a bar on the bottom of the screen where I could easily and quickly select the app (youtube and all the streaming poo poo) I wanted.

Since the last update it instead brings up an entire full screen OS that takes seconds to load that's busy as gently caress with all the recommendations and ugly poo poo.

I just wanna be able to quickly switch from netflix to disney+ to HBO to prime goddamnit.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Taeke posted:

My cheap smart tv used to be pretty simpel and easy to use, if a bit slow with the inputs. If I pressed the home button on the remote it'd bring up a bar on the bottom of the screen where I could easily and quickly select the app (youtube and all the streaming poo poo) I wanted.

Since the last update it instead brings up an entire full screen OS that takes seconds to load that's busy as gently caress with all the recommendations and ugly poo poo.

I just wanna be able to quickly switch from netflix to disney+ to HBO to prime goddamnit.

Time to pony up the cash for an Apple TV

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yeah ive been pleased with my setup which is a apple tv box for streaming apps to a tcl tv that i never update and is not even connected to wifi so it cant attempt to make itself shittier

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Shouldn't have sold my Salora TV...

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Taeke posted:

If it's an LG this might still work

Yeep posted:

This made me really angry because the UI not covering the video was a big part of why I bought an LG in the first place. Fortunately you can go back to the old bottom bar (for now). Go to Settings > General > Home Settings > Home Screen Style and change it from new to basic.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Bob Ross on The Joy Of Painting insisted on having natural hair brushes and thick firm paints.

The Bob Ross brushes are apparently now all synthetic and the Titanium White I used today was not firm at all.

Not sure if this was mentioned in the Netflix movie about him and the people who took over his business over his dead body. I'll have to watch it at some point.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Weather forecasts are getting worse because maniac billionaires keep putting toys in the sky

Dutch meteorologists say Musk's Starlink network disrupts weather forecasting
https://nltimes.nl/2023/01/27/dutch-meteorologists-say-musks-starlink-network-disrupts-weather-forecasting

Plus for USAians, they're getting worse because anything government funded is bad and evil, neoliberalism demands we starve the beast, and taxpayer money needs to be diverted into private companies ASAP

Why the Entire U.S. Weather Satellite System is at Risk
New report finds our next-generation weather satellites are threatened by budget overruns, blown deadlines, and mismanagement.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/environment/a35/us-weather-satellite-noaa-goa-report-2015-17640539/

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Taeke posted:

Thank you for reminding me on my impending visit to mom that I have to deal with her absolute joke of a Samsung smart TV. The TV that turned me off of ever owning a smart TV.

What’s worse is that cablevision optimum spectrum(?) has the most heinous boxes and it doubles the stress. My mom wants to watch TCM, the local NBC station, PBS and occasionally HGTV. Occasionally use Netflix and apparently now, Apple TV. That is it. Nothing more.

This visit is a bit of a fact-finding mission, to see if perhaps an Apple TV might be worth purchasing for Christmas (the idea of setting up a chromecast for her is terrifying). Also may need to convince her to let me call Spectrum to physically haul rear end and check the wiring in the house because she is NOT getting anything close to the speeds she’s paying out the rear end for last time I checked.

As for poo poo getting shittier:
I’ve accepted my position in the family as IT Child, it is what it is and I’d rather it be me. However watching tech, whether TVs, services, cable or whatever, become so user unfriendly and unjustifiably expensive is infuriating.

Having to explain to my mom why a la carte cable is never going to be a thing because line must go up is depressing. How many times can I say “because there’s money to be had”? That companies attempting to be vaguely honest are long gone, the mask of integrity has been yeeted into the next yard and the neighbor’s dog is chewing it to shreds.

Sorry Mom, your hope and efforts towards a better world for your kids is long gone, even in this minuscule aspect.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Taeke posted:

I'm sure this has been said in this thread, but never ever ever connect you smart tv to wifi.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Yeep posted:

If it's an LG this might still work

Oh poo poo thanks! That's exactly what it was and I had been looking but it's so deep in the menus I must've missed it.

cat botherer posted:

I'm sure this has been said in this thread, but never ever ever connect you smart tv to wifi.

Why not? I'm thinking general privacy/hacking concerns but you being so adamant makes me think there's a specific reason?

I do live in the middle of nowhere in Europe in a tiny insular village if that makes a difference? Like I'm not worried about randos scanning nearby networks for unprotected devices they can compromise. Back when I was living in a city that was certainly a concern though.

Taeke fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 5, 2024

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

Taeke posted:

Why not? I'm thinking general privacy/hacking concerns but you being so adamant makes me think there's a specific reason?

You just found out. They're not going to update a smart tv to make it better or less intrusive.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

cat botherer posted:

:confused: my TV has a Plex client, how else is it going to stream stuff from the server?

Tbf, it's wired CAT6 because WiFi would be too slow.
It doesn't have Internet access tho. This isn't hard to configure, but the average user probably won't.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I willing to bet an old Xbox would do that better than your TV's OS.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I caved and placed my Amazon cube with the new model since it became insanely slow like that. Every app slow as poo poo to load, UI take 5+ seconds to respond to the remote, etc

the replacement once again runs extremely fast but the new remote is a piece of junk. It still has a mute button, thank gently caress, but I can feel the plastic buckling just pressing a button. the old ones were small but very solid feeling. piss

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Beastie posted:

I willing to bet an old Xbox would do that better than your TV's OS.

What is the metric here?

I watch a show 1-2x per week. The client works fine and loads reasonably fast. I have limited amounts of time and loving around with poo poo that's above the waterline "good enough" takes away time from more important things

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Chromecast with Google TV is a solid, cheap way to go, I use that on my basement TV and it works fantastically. If you don't need 4k the HD version is like 20 bucks right now.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Nvidia Shield + Plex + dumb TV is still the way to go for me. I use Smart Tube to bypass YouTube ads (including sponsored bullshit and dumb intros/outros) and just torrent a shitload of new media once a month or so. It's pretty great.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Nvidia Shield + Plex + dumb TV is still the way to go for me. I use Smart Tube to bypass YouTube ads (including sponsored bullshit and dumb intros/outros) and just torrent a shitload of new media once a month or so. It's pretty great.

basically me but i’ve been noticing the shield getting slightly shittier over time. it used to work perfectly but now it occasionally gets the computer ghosts and fucks up for no good reason. and i torrent old poo poo instead.

shadowzero313
Feb 6, 2009
Newman's Own red sauces were just "improved" and loaded up with carrot puree.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
the trick is :filez: and never ever leaving your PC

it helps with the :justpost: ing

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

shadowzero313 posted:

Newman's Own red sauces were just "improved" and loaded up with carrot puree.

Et tu, Paul?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

wash bucket posted:

Et tu, Paul?

Don't dilute us brutus

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

rafikki posted:

lol CNN. I’ve been in Colombia for a week and haven’t seen a message like this yet but I’m on my iphone using private relay, with 1Blocker installed so I feel better about my privacy than whatever BS CNN has in mind.

Protect my privacy? gently caress you, you just want me to okay your use of cookies you jackasses. I'm never of a fan of mealy mouthed marketing corporate speak and it's sad how people can't see through it to the point to where honesty/not doing it would be better.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

While clothes and clothes shopping has gotten worse in general, shopping for men's socks has started to piss me off above and beyond. I'm about a size 12-13, depending on the brand, and every sock company now does "Size 6-12" as the standard, with "13+" being the other main option (if you can find any). 6-12 is an enormous range for feet size, which means half the time I buy them they don't fit at all, and half the time they barely fit. If I get the "13+" they are enormous and loose. It's like the sock equivalent of wearing a Magnum condom.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
Now that I'm looking for it it's pretty funny how many products have 'BRAND NEW LOOK' on them and it's all just to hide that it's to reduce the amount of product.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

While clothes and clothes shopping has gotten worse in general, shopping for men's socks has started to piss me off above and beyond. I'm about a size 12-13, depending on the brand, and every sock company now does "Size 6-12" as the standard, with "13+" being the other main option (if you can find any). 6-12 is an enormous range for feet size, which means half the time I buy them they don't fit at all, and half the time they barely fit. If I get the "13+" they are enormous and loose. It's like the sock equivalent of wearing a Magnum condom.

Darn Tough has a 12.5-14.5 as does Point6.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

Darn Tough has a 12.5-14.5 as does Point6.

uncomfortable lol at someone buying you taht av

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

roffles posted:

Now that I'm looking for it it's pretty funny how many products have 'BRAND NEW LOOK' on them and it's all just to hide that it's to reduce the amount of product.

Palmolive dish soap had a great one, "50% MORE than our 8 oz size"

Consumer Reports used to call this kind of thing out but they were captured in the early 2000s

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

uncomfortable lol at someone buying you taht av

It's not sticking around. 1. I wouldn't want people thinking I exercise. 2. Lazy/boring. 3. Somehow it feels like it's mocking the child to me *does an image search* oh yeah that's what I was thinking, that's definitely not sticking around. It's okay I got something better planned I just need to do some resizing/cropping.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 5, 2024

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
An innocuous Google search returned websites that my antivirus flagged up as dodgy for the first time that I can ever remember.

I was just looking for some data on gym stats; the sites my search returned all looked kinda dodgy: obviously randomly generated website names, ai-written content etc and when I clicked on one of the more reasonable-looking ones, my anti-virus started getting antsy and flashing warnings about the site at me. Dunno if it was the site itself, or some 3rd party advert running scripts on it but Google search is definitely shittier than it used to be.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
edit - wrong thread, don't wanna upset another sassy cunty mod

ProperCauldron fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 5, 2024

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

oh word

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Pistol_Pete posted:

An innocuous Google search returned websites that my antivirus flagged up as dodgy for the first time that I can ever remember.

I was just looking for some data on gym stats; the sites my search returned all looked kinda dodgy: obviously randomly generated website names, ai-written content etc and when I clicked on one of the more reasonable-looking ones, my anti-virus started getting antsy and flashing warnings about the site at me. Dunno if it was the site itself, or some 3rd party advert running scripts on it but Google search is definitely shittier than it used to be.
Don't use antiviruses. They're massive security problems in themselves.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ProperCauldron posted:

edit - wrong thread, don't wanna upset another sassy cunty mod

;)

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

cat botherer posted:

Antivirus is definitely something that got shittier. There were things in the 00s that were still usable but everything has been terrible since around the time Windows 7 came out.

I'm glad I no longer work in IT, where you still kinda need it because so many users just can't stop clicking every link and downloading every attachment. Though I just did a lol about the time McAfee released an update that made it flag a critical Windows XP system file as a virus, which put about thirty of my company's machines out of order. Cool stuff!
(Management wouldn't let me spend money on getting less terrible antivirus software until this incident)

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 5, 2024

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

cat botherer posted:

Counterpoint, stack 2 antiviruses on top of each other along with a 3rd that's still installed because nobody figured out how to do that with a push and nobody has time to do it manually on literally thousands of computers

This is actual enterprise thinking :v:

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I honestly cannot think of a time when Antivirus was ever good. Like, ever... And I started my computer life in Windows 3.1. It was just 'not as obnoxious'.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The only time I ever had a virus it was Yankey Doodle Dandy and all it did was play that tune over the PC speaker loudly and poorly.

Viruses today are not as good as they used to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I honestly cannot think of a time when Antivirus was ever good. Like, ever... And I started my computer life in Windows 3.1. It was just 'not as obnoxious'.

It was never good, I guess, but it was bearable and sometimes useful, especially in the late 90s/early 2000s era of people downloading exe files from kazaa and limewire etc. the big brands were always absolutely horrible as far back as I remember in the early 90s when I got my first PC.

I know I had something that stopped a virus from a pc gamer cover disc once in the mid-late 90s, can't remember the name though. AVG was okay for a while in the 00s but then became spyware itself and also opened up a massive exploit lol