Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

credburn posted:

I always had a problem with "the pot calling the kettle black," because, to me, it always seemed really obvious that the suggestion is it's bad to be black.

Like the salt calling the sugar white!

That's... actually not a bad turn of phrase for the same effect. I may have to start using that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Improbable Lobster posted:

Joining the military to "bring women's rights to the middle east" is some nazi buzzword poo poo you moron
I was gonna say I don't see a lot of daylight between the thing and the ostensibly-worse other thing but thank you for being a lot more blunt about it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Randalor posted:

That's... actually not a bad turn of phrase for the same effect. I may have to start using that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jRIKMfuQLg

(Don’t use this it sucks rear end)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lovecraft also did leave the rights to his works to a gay friend of his (that he know was gay) who then released them all into the public domain.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Push El Burrito posted:

My great grandmother had a cat named Sambo and I didn't think anything of it as a kid but I'm pretty sure this super old lady from the south might have been a little racist?

Let me tell you of a national restaurant chain.

Ostensibly named for the guys who started it, Sam Battistone and Newell Bohnet, it kept the name up through through the decades, the last one changing its name in tyool 2020!

They ran with the Sambo theme, and the advertising artwork represented a South Asian kid and his tiger. So they definitely knew the connection to the story. In the late 70s, they trialed changing the names to Jolly Tiger so they could keep the characters. But when the renamed restaurants didn't perform as well they decided to go with, "Oh, black people don't mind, they eat here a lot!" and changed the names back.

By '82, all the locations (out of 1100 nationally) had closed, and the chain went bankrupt.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm just reminded how until recently there was an Australian brand of cheese named Coon.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm just reminded how until recently there was an Australian brand of cheese named Coon.

People here in Australia are still massively butthurt that they changed the name and never stopped complaining about it. Here's a random example from FB a few days ago:

"I hate what this country has become and complain about it all the time!!! Also if you don't like this country and complain about it then you should leave!!!"
:thunk:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

MrUnderbridge posted:

Ostensibly named for the guys who started it, Sam Battistone and Newell Bohnet, it kept the name up through through the decades, the last one changing its name in tyool 2020!

They ran with the Sambo theme, and the advertising artwork represented a South Asian kid and his tiger. So they definitely knew the connection to the story. In the late 70s, they trialed changing the names to Jolly Tiger so they could keep the characters. But when the renamed restaurants didn't perform as well they decided to go with, "Oh, black people don't mind, they eat here a lot!" and changed the names back.

By '82, all the locations (out of 1100 nationally) had closed, and the chain went bankrupt.

Did they change the name in 2020 or did all of the restaurants close in '82???

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Did they change the name in 2020 or did all of the restaurants close in '82???

They lost all the franchise locations in the 80's, but the original restaurant continued to exist and only changed it's name in 2020.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MrUnderbridge posted:

This reminds me: what the hell

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Icelandc has a candy company called "Sanbó" Which was called Sambó until 2020. They insist there's actually no connection to the racial caricature and it's a reference to the soviet Sambo wrestling whose name derives from an Russian acronym. This despite Still they changed their name and I actually had a hard time finding the new logo anywhere online.

They claim this packaging from 1963 is just a designer making a visual pun and it's still named after an obscure Soviet martial art that, as far as I can tell, isn't mentioned in writing in Icelandic until 2010.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, that was a dude's name though and also more a US slur. Australia had plenty of our own, as you'd be aware.

That said, they changed the name to Cheer, which amuses me because it has such an alienated Gen X feel to it. Like OK Cola.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

CJacobs posted:

This reminds me: what the hell

Things in other languages an cultures might mean different things to us:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Elissimpark posted:

Yeah, that was a dude's name though and also more a US slur. Australia had plenty of our own, as you'd be aware.

That said, they changed the name to Cheer, which amuses me because it has such an alienated Gen X feel to it. Like OK Cola.

My maths teacher was a guy called Wing-Commander Wilfrid Coon, which is too good to not share. I imagine Coon is probably dying out as a surname, in the same way there's probably less Hitlers around.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Elissimpark posted:

The link between Coon Cheese in Australia and Edward William Coon is extremely tenuous, particularly because it was made using a different method (Coon cheese was made from pasteurized milk using a technique devised in 1925 by Vegemite inventor Cyril Callister, Edward William Coon's cheese method patented in 1926 used unpasteurised milk), Kraft Foods/ Saputo Inc. never drew a connection between Coon Cheese and Edward William Coon until 1988 when the controversy over the name was in full swing, and no direct connection between Edward William Coon and the cheeses produced in Australia has ever been found. As far as I can tell claiming it was named after him was just a PR maneuver to try and wriggle out of the controversy, and the company later deleted the webpages that made that claim.

Also 'coon' was a really widespread slur in Australia for Indigenous Australians back in the 1920s+30s when the cheese was first being marketed

Edit: also for all the outrage and all the people swearing they'd boycott the renamed cheese it actually slightly increased its market share after the rebrand. So much for 'go woke, go broke'. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 12:03 on Jan 5, 2024

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The link between Coon Cheese in Australia and Edward William Coon is extremely tenuous, particularly because it was made using a different method (Coon cheese was made from pasteurized milk using a technique devised in 1925 by Vegemite inventor Cyril Callister, Edward William Coon's cheese method patented in 1926 used unpasteurised milk), Kraft Foods/ Saputo Inc. never drew a connection between Coon Cheese and Edward William Coon until 1988 when the controversy over the name was in full swing, and no direct connection between Edward William Coon and the cheeses produced in Australia has ever been found. As far as I can tell claiming it was named after him was just a PR maneuver to try and wriggle out of the controversy, and the company later deleted the webpages that made that claim.

Also 'coon' was a really widespread slur in Australia for Indigenous Australians back in the 1920s+30s when the cheese was first being marketed

Edit: also for all the outrage and all the people swearing they'd boycott the renamed cheese it actually slightly increased its market share after the rebrand. So much for 'go woke, go broke'. :v:

Well, gently caress. Did it used to come in racist packaging or something? Calling it Coon out of nowhere without at least a questionable mascot seems really weird.

I'll admit I tend to buy it more often now it's Cheer. Again, the really neutral use of an emotive word amuses the Gen X in this Xennial.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Torquemada posted:

My maths teacher was a guy called Wing-Commander Wilfrid Coon, which is too good to not share. I imagine Coon is probably dying out as a surname, in the same way there's probably less Hitlers around.

Let's not forget:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Carrie Coon is done

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Elissimpark posted:

Well, gently caress. Did it used to come in racist packaging or something? Calling it Coon out of nowhere without at least a questionable mascot seems really weird.

Some journalists have claimed that it was originally sold wrapped in black wax and that's how it got its name but I haven't been able to find any confirmation of that. The earliest ads I could find were for Red Coon

But on the other hand we had a lot of blatantly racist products sold here in Australia back in the day so it really wouldn't have been out of the ordinary
:nws: No really, I mean it

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

People here in Australia are still massively butthurt that they changed the name and never stopped complaining about it. Here's a random example from FB a few days ago:

"I hate what this country has become and complain about it all the time!!! Also if you don't like this country and complain about it then you should leave!!!"
:thunk:

Reminds me that an ex girlfriend of mine would CONSTANTLY use the phrase:
"Haven't seen [person] in a coon's age." and I'd admonish her for using a racist term. She claims it wasn't a racist statement, it was referring to ACTUAL racoons.

I finally just looked it up in front of her to prove her wrong and...welp, turns out she was right? Maybe? Hard saying. I didn't do a deep dive on it, but some origins actually DO point to the general expression "a coon's age" referring to ACTUAL racoons, and the belief in the late 18th early 19th century they lived a long time. But at the same time, it eventually WAS associated with racism once that term started getting usage as a slur, so...yeah, just don't fuckin' say it.

On a similar note, there's the term "niggardly." (I don't even like typing it.)

Etymology is completely different than the N-word, but only two types of people ever use it:
1) Actual racists who think it's a racist term.
2) "Smart than thou" type smug asshats who are hoping ever so dearly you call them out on it so they can go,
"Uhh, well actually..." (oh God, am I being one of those guys right now? :ohdear:)

I haven't actually seen it used in a long time, but there was another message board I frequented in the early aughts where some guy seemed to go out of his way to use and bring out the old #2 excuse. But I feel like actually using it THAT much that people on anonymous message boards notice, when you could just say cheap or miserly, makes me think they def. were racist.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Torquemada posted:

Out: Coon as a last name
In: https://twitter.com/arifhasannfl/status/1743027324994355518?s=61&t=N2RxjCcZEoNL3LJNhAQ0dg

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/evil_female/status/1632864641054285825

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

On a similar note, there's the term "niggardly." (I don't even like typing it.)

Tolkien loved using the not-fun F-word for bundles of wood at seemingly every chance, but there was a time Aragorn described Eomer as “no niggard” in Return of the King. It was after he allowed his sister Eowyn to leave the kingdom to marry Faramir :v:

Aside from the weird misogyny implications there…my dude, she literally decapitated a Nazgûl’s winged beast, then ran her sword through the face of the Witch King himself after Pippin stabbed him behind the knee. Nobody else on Middle Earth gets to tell her what she’s “allowed” to do.

Elves literally had prophecies about that exact event, Gondor will immortalize her in song, and even the dwarves will give a grudging nod of respect (before secretly write their own songs about the whole ordeal).

But sure, you’ll “allow” her to go live in Ithlién.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

Tolkien loved using the not-fun F-word for bundles of wood at seemingly every chance, but there was a time Aragorn described Eomer as “no niggard” in Return of the King. It was after he allowed his sister Eowyn to leave the kingdom to marry Faramir :v:

Aside from the weird misogyny implications there…my dude, she literally decapitated a Nazgûl’s winged beast, then ran her sword through the face of the Witch King himself after Pippin stabbed him behind the knee. Nobody else on Middle Earth gets to tell her what she’s “allowed” to do.

Elves literally had prophecies about that exact event, Gondor will immortalize her in song, and even the dwarves will give a grudging nod of respect (before secretly write their own songs about the whole ordeal).

Merry. Pippin was busy making sure Faramir didn't roast alive. Merry and Pippin: ultimate matchmakers

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Kantesu posted:

Merry. Pippin was busy making sure Faramir didn't roast alive. Merry and Pippin: ultimate matchmakers

lol I get them confused a lot :downs:

Also, smilies whose text maybe didn’t age well (or start off well)?

:downs:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Icon Of Sin posted:

I like to imagine that she had the head stuffed and mounted, and made a point to wear the Witch King's crown whenever she had to deal with Aragorn after the battle. Just as a reminder that she KILLED THE UNKILLABLE, thank-you-very-much-your-OPINION-has-been-noted.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

There's a suburb in the Twin Cities called Coon Rapids.

It's weird man. It's a lovely place too.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Icon Of Sin posted:

Tolkien used those word because he was a language nerd, not for any edgelord reasons.

Also you're drat right that the King of Rohan is going to get veto power over who his family members marry, under feudalism royalty doesn't get to marry who they choose unless they're the top dog, and even then it is very political.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

sweet geek swag posted:

Tolkien used those word because he was a language nerd, not for any edgelord reasons.

Also you're drat right that the King of Rohan is going to get veto power over who his family members marry, under feudalism royalty doesn't get to marry who they choose unless they're the top dog, and even then it is very political.

The f-slur as a slur dates from the early 20th C. but it's definitely an Americanism - my understanding is that it's still not used that way super widely in the UK but i could be wrong about that. I wonder about when an Oxford don would have encountered the use in that derogatory context, and if he would have bothered to give it enough notice to avoid using it in its more traditional definition.

And yeah, Rohan is built different - depicted as a less "civilized" society than the Numenorean-descended Gondor. They admire a love of battle as heroic, vs Faramir (the idealized Gondorian) who lays it out: "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I only love that which they defend."

Lemniscate Blue has a new favorite as of 16:50 on Jan 5, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The f-word is also still commonly used as a term for cigarettes. To 'bum a fag' is an only slightly trashy thing to do.

Still find it funny that one goon who turned Lord of the Rings into a collective bedtime story for his primarily Chinese-speaking family ended up calling him 'Theoden Khan'.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

For some reason everyone ignores the fact that the human being was a symbol of the Italian fascist party. There is literally nothing redeeming about that word.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

You could translate Fasicsmo as "faggotism" but you probably shouldn't.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
isnt linguistic imperialism/colonialism for an outside language to force another language to change their words to suit its wants?

like I seem to recall during the whole korean music thing of the last few years, there was a funny video clip of black listeners hearing a word thats a homophone of the nword.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

The Mighty Moltres posted:

For some reason everyone ignores the fact that the human being was a symbol of the Italian fascist party. There is literally nothing redeeming about that word.

Like literally sticks?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Like literally sticks?

Yep, that's actually where the word 'fascism' comes from

quote:

Fasces (/ˈfæsiːz/ FASS-eez, Latin: [ˈfaskeːs]; a plurale tantum, from the Latin word fascis, meaning "bundle"; Italian: fascio littorio) is a bound bundle of wooden rods, sometimes including an axe (occasionally two axes) with its blade emerging.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasces

That symbol got used in the US government a lot before WW2 and is still all over the White House, the Senate, etc etc: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasces#United_States

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 18:31 on Jan 5, 2024

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

One stick weak snap easy
Many sticks strong can't snap

Therefore Palingenetic Ultranationalism. Ugg

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Reminds me that an ex girlfriend of mine would CONSTANTLY use the phrase:
"Haven't seen [person] in a coon's age." and I'd admonish her for using a racist term. She claims it wasn't a racist statement, it was referring to ACTUAL racoons.

When I first started working in the river industry, my first four years were on boats down south on the lower Mississippi, and the guys kept referring to stuff/people WAY down south in Louisiana and so as "coonasses" and "coonassed."

Turns out it's a term/slur for Cajuns, and to them, Cajuns are like the super saiyan form of regular rednecks.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they'll call themselves that

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The one that makes me do double takes a lot is British media using human being to mean meatball.

Just be zoned out half listening to some cooking show while I do chores and then suddenly I hear something like "spicy faggots".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

A Sometimes Food posted:

The one that makes me do double takes a lot is British media using human being to mean meatball.

Just be zoned out half listening to some cooking show while I do chores and then suddenly I hear something like "spicy faggots".

I believe the best-known brand is made by "Mr Brain" I have a sort of fever-dream memory that a family became the face of Mr Brains product and they had a very funny surname