Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Preechr posted:

All elves are idiots and I appreciate that the game recognizes this.

e: :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I mean, she’s right.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sharkopath posted:

Really depends, some think they are redeemable and a lot think of them as no different than chaos cultists. They end up as allies of convenience only a bit more often than say eldar and humans/tau/kin.

Dark Eldar lifestyle is entirely anathema to Craftworld living. Sometimes a craftworlder whos on the outcast path will end up in comorragh and stay there, and sometimes even the opposite happens where a dark eldar will regain their sense of control and morality and find a craftworld to take them in.

Theres also corsairs who are more wild than the craftworlds but not as far gone as dark eldar and it's a neat melting pot of the cultures.

Lugganath is kind of the Craftworld version of evil pirates. Just a big pirate webway port hosting corsairs from all over the galaxy. The difference is that on Lugganath the craftworlders are in control even if they move within corsair circles and tolerate drukhari visitors.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I get Jae's certificate after cheating my way to the front of the line at the administratum and then talk to her on the ship where I fall right into her romance, then realize I was planning to date Yrliet and reload my save and pick a different dialogue option, but then she drops an even flirtier response to me and I instinctually go in for the kiss again. I can't believe she tricked me twice.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Had a weird bug on Vheabos VI where only one person of your party goes though the gate into the arena and the rest of party can't get into the combat zone. I checked youtube and your whole party is supposed to go into the gate of the arena before it locks. Not a huge deal since Cassia can solo most stuff and Argenta and Yrliet were able to snipe the remaining enemies

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Sharkopath posted:

Theres also corsairs who are more wild than the craftworlds but not as far gone as dark eldar and it's a neat melting pot of the cultures.

Corsairs are kinda dickish themselves; seem to recall that the Eldar don't really need or want to steal much of anything from other races, so the corsairs are literally running around murdering the vessels of humans and others for sport mainly. The craftworlders just regard it as the equivalent of "sowing wild oats" like all the outcasts, as opposed to the true dickishness of the Dark Eldar (to be fair, corsairs don't generally target their own; the Dark Eldar obviously are less nice about that). About the only "good" thing about them is they will occasionally help out against Chaos or other serious threats like Orks/Necrons. I think they've also managed to pull retaliation onto nearby Exodite worlds or craftworlds sometimes (it's almost like running around killing people makes the victims go looking for any pointy-eared bastards to kill in response...).

Just finally got into Act 3; the de-gearing wasn't as bad as I feared since they provided enough crude stuff to more or less play the same style, if not with the same effectiveness. Did get a kick out of earning the achievement in Act 2 for pissing off Marazhai; I could have probably asked questions and maybe gotten something useful, but those taunting Coercion responses actually puncturing Eldar ego for a change were just too tempting :D.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

emSparkly posted:

I get Jae's certificate after cheating my way to the front of the line at the administratum and then talk to her on the ship where I fall right into her romance, then realize I was planning to date Yrliet and reload my save and pick a different dialogue option, but then she drops an even flirtier response to me and I instinctually go in for the kiss again. I can't believe she tricked me twice.

Toybox has an option to allow multiple romances. I'm romancing both myself currently.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nephthys posted:

Toybox has an option to allow multiple romances. I'm romancing both myself currently.

Romancing yourself is peak Rogue Trader.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

There's a romance point of no return after act 3 so that's fine. My dirtbag rogue trader was actively loving Jae while still pursuing Cassia's Victorian courtship ritual throughout the back half of Act 2.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Romancing yourself is peak Rogue Trader.

There's a certain enemy in the game I wanna ask about that now. If you know you know.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

The Lone Badger posted:

An Eldar would 500% prefer to work with a Dark Eldar than a mon-keigh.

For Eldar it's like choosing between working with batshit crazy drug addict and working with rabid chimpanzee with laser gun. Usually the choice is "peace out, losers" but sometimes said Eldar is a furry and likes those hairy savages.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I like to think of eldar and dark eldar interacting as like the world's most toxic relationship. Just because everybody - including themselves - know it's doomed doesn't mean they might not give it a shot every once in a while and, hell, it might work for a few months before someone dies.

Also if you want to talk about respect, or lack of respect, for the lore having a prominent elf character not betray you would be a slap in the face.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Warmachine posted:

There's a certain enemy in the game I wanna ask about that now. If you know you know.

Can't believe that a four way fuckfest wasn't a potential solution to that problem, smdh.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

habeasdorkus posted:

Can't believe that a four way fuckfest wasn't a potential solution to that problem, smdh.

Yeah but animating the Nurgle Cauldron was prob a bridge too far

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

habeasdorkus posted:

Slaanesh 2

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

MadDogMike posted:

Corsairs are kinda dickish themselves; seem to recall that the Eldar don't really need or want to steal much of anything from other races, so the corsairs are literally running around murdering the vessels of humans and others for sport mainly. The craftworlders just regard it as the equivalent of "sowing wild oats" like all the outcasts, as opposed to the true dickishness of the Dark Eldar (to be fair, corsairs don't generally target their own; the Dark Eldar obviously are less nice about that). About the only "good" thing about them is they will occasionally help out against Chaos or other serious threats like Orks/Necrons. I think they've also managed to pull retaliation onto nearby Exodite worlds or craftworlds sometimes (it's almost like running around killing people makes the victims go looking for any pointy-eared bastards to kill in response...).

Just finally got into Act 3; the de-gearing wasn't as bad as I feared since they provided enough crude stuff to more or less play the same style, if not with the same effectiveness. Did get a kick out of earning the achievement in Act 2 for pissing off Marazhai; I could have probably asked questions and maybe gotten something useful, but those taunting Coercion responses actually puncturing Eldar ego for a change were just too tempting :D.

It really varies wildly. Given BFG's primary Eldar faction was corsairs, there was a lot of fluff in it regarding what they got up to during the titular period and sector. And some were absolutely pirates, but others were basically on one ship crusades/obsessions about one thing or another and others still swapped what they were doing several times. Like someone in command of one Void Stalker absolutely loving HATED Orks, eventually rumored destroyed tackling a Space Hulk solo. While other groups were mostly hunting Chaos fleets. And of course the Gothic War (i.e. the 12th Black Crusade) ultimately concluded with an alliance between the Imperium and the Eldar, where the majority of the corsair groups fell in line.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

How is game stability nowadays in the later acts?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Not being able to reposition the grand strategist tiles is actually crazy.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
I feel like I’m at the end of act 2 and I have thoughts. Game is easily the best owlcat game mechanically.

Space combat is a lot of fun and I want a whole roguelike of just that (with like, a few more ships on your side and faster animations.

Party members are fun.

I’d probably have Henrix in the party if I didn’t just build him as my MC. When he was forced in to the party I make him the caster version and it’s ok. Idria is obviously better but the bad rolls of summoning hostile demons or more importantly losing turns are hard to justify.

Pasqal’s name is a programming joke and I love it. I was close to benching him but now I got a plasma gun that never overheats and now, like on the table top, we are Always Be (over)Charging.

Cass and officers are super broken. Breaking the action economy breaks the game. We learned that with haste in DnD 3.0 and are continuing to “but this time” it.

Also lol multiple ways to go always go first

Mega skill checks and traps are dumb and tedious. Toyboxed them out.

Trauma system is dumb without combat Rezzing (and wtf bewildered) so thanks again toybox.

Class system is a mess. Too Many Decisions, bad recommendations, and some talents are “get another action” and others are “lots of words for 7% dodge on attacks of opportunity”. Got the heavy bolter for Argenta last night and just toyboxed the strength requirement (because I got the feat but forgot to increase her base strength) instead of respecing.

Wish they were limited with a tabletop game to make the math easier to comprehend. I have a lot of system mastery in 3.x/pathfinder so those systems were easy to crunch for me. However I wish they took keyworded bonuses and simple +x to stuff instead of all these formulas. It’s wild I’m longing for 3.x mechanics but here we are.

Wish the tool tips would be consistent on formula versus what the end of the formula bonus gives (or just show both!)

Wish your derived stats like dodge and armor could be moused over and see all the bonuses like they did in their previous games.

So many loading screens and clicking to travel. I know it’s owlcat and there is some spectacle cause 40k but like put all the vendors in one place, don’t make me go through 3 loading screens to get to the palace, don’t make me walk though town again. Just so much time wasted.

Combat is still a blast, and they are nailing the 40k stuff. Also the game let me do my tabletop army head cannon of turning a forgefiend in combat then keeping it to fight chaos. Radical inquisition stuff is so fun.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

It's not especially clear but the vendors are all in one place, it's the quartermaster guy on your ship. Saying "I want to order and ship some stuff" or something like that accesses all of them.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Naramyth posted:

So many loading screens and clicking to travel. I know it’s owlcat and there is some spectacle cause 40k but like put all the vendors in one place, don’t make me go through 3 loading screens to get to the palace, don’t make me walk though town again. Just so much time wasted.

loading screens are the huge obstacle to me, because yeah, there's just way too many. everything is a load screen/hides one, like warp travel etc.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

The physical vendors do also seem to sometimes restock some of their consumables: grenades, medkits, and melta charges have popped up for me when I've stopped at Footfall

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Sloober posted:

loading screens are the huge obstacle to me, because yeah, there's just way too many. everything is a load screen/hides one, like warp travel etc.

All the more annoying that it's a lesson they have been made to learn AGAIN AND AGAIN, in each of their game (ie adding a "leave the town" and the Build Point vendor directly inside the throne room in Kingmaker ; adding a "leave the loving town" to the throne room in WotR, and now they'll have to learn it *yet again*)

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

MadDogMike posted:

Yeah they're just having fun and adventure for the sake of it, pirates are cool. It'd be fun to write them as like errol Flynn style adrenaline junkies instead of the usual space elf haughty aristocrats, always increasing the odds against themselves and doing things that up the danger but look cooler.

An Eldar fights for safe efficiency, a Deldar fights to cause maximum pain, a Corsair fights 5 people with one hand behind their backs to even the odds and keeps trying to swing from the cargo chains while doing it.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 5, 2024

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I appreciated that you escape the arena into a neighboring spire where the Drukhari have no idea what's going on but predictably all start shooting at each other once something exciting happens.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MadDogMike posted:

Tricking Marazhai into a broken nose and a bruised ego is just too much fun for any other route.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Arglebargle III posted:

Tricking Marazhai into a broken nose and a bruised ego is just too much fun for any other route.

I have been singing this game’s praises a lot recently but I’ll do it again: I really appreciate that the game allows you to take the piss out of the haughty superior edgelord bad guy as much as it does. After far too much of my life wasted playing vidya I have a distinct fondness towards being extremely spiteful towards this sort of character, and I know other, lesser studios like BioWare would have just Kai Leng’d the poo poo out of him.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I was looking out for when you can recruit the evil guy and it never even seemed to show, so they just got deaded. Left a party member behind because I couldn't find any trace of them, and left another recruitable party member because I couldn't get it to work despite exhausting the options talking to him and the person who lets you recruit them.

Game is good but definitely feels bugged even when it might not be.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

The worst part of space travel.

Event triggered -> Loading screen takes me to my quarters for some dialogue -> loading screen to bridge -> loading screen to galaxy map -> loading screen to system map -> only points of interest are plasteel -> loading screen to galaxy map -> choose next system -> repeat

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Naramyth posted:

Trauma system is dumb without combat Rezzing (and wtf bewildered) so thanks again toybox.

You mean you dont not see there's something to see then suffer brain damags as a result of the thing you didn't know was there?

A tricky crossword can hospitalise a man.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Further Reading posted:

Event triggered -> Loading screen takes me to my quarters for some dialogue -> loading screen to bridge -> loading screen to galaxy map -> loading screen to system map -> only points of interest are plasteel -> loading screen to galaxy map -> choose next system -> repeat

It's really brutal after playing BG3. And yes I have an SSD.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The frustrating part about that is they have the storybook sections already. Use those for these interruptions

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fellblade posted:

I was looking out for when you can recruit the evil guy and it never even seemed to show, so they just got deaded. Left a party member behind because I couldn't find any trace of them, and left another recruitable party member because I couldn't get it to work despite exhausting the options talking to him and the person who lets you recruit them.

Game is good but definitely feels bugged even when it might not be.

You have to turn off your translator device and talk to him in Low Gothic. It's a nice callback to Act 2 where he reveals he can speak your language. I think that's the branch point.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
I said it before, but really what makes Act 3 for me narratively is how all these arrogant assholes keep looking down on and completely discounting you as a threat. And you can utterly loving wreck them for it. And none of the others around will learn a single thing from watching it happen. Nocturne of Oblivion must be laughing his clown rear end off for the whole drat act watching this comedy show he's kicked off when he dug your rear end out of the corpse pit, gave you a stim and let you loose.

Magni fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 5, 2024

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Further Reading posted:

Ya even with the switch in ToyBox turned on to just reenter the game automatically without needing me to press a key to exit every loading screen poo poo like this can feel a bit tedious.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Draxion posted:

It's not especially clear but the vendors are all in one place, it's the quartermaster guy on your ship. Saying "I want to order and ship some stuff" or something like that accesses all of them.

Oooh, I didn’t know that. Thanks!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Magni posted:

I said it before, but really what makes Act 3 for me narratively is how all these arrogant assholes keep looking down on and completely discounting you as a threat. And you can utterly loving wreck them for it. And none of the others around will learn a single thing from watching it happen. Nocturne of Oblivion must be laughing his clown rear end off for the whole drat act watching this comedy show he's kicked off when he dug your rear end out of the corpse pit, gave you a stim and let you loose.

It's great because I had enough Iconoclast in Act 3 to decipher his poetry and make him absolutely thrilled with his choice, so he showed up again at the Point of No Return to give me an Iconoclast 4 trinket that my Dogmatic 4 rear end couldn't use.

I appreciate the thought anyway. I'm playing Battlefleet Gothic 2 right now as a palate cleanser, and I'm realizing I played my RT a lot like Lord Admiral Spire if I'm reading his characterization right.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Warmachine posted:

It's great because I had enough Iconoclast in Act 3 to decipher his poetry and make him absolutely thrilled with his choice, so he showed up again at the Point of No Return to give me an Iconoclast 4 trinket that my Dogmatic 4 rear end couldn't use.

I appreciate the thought anyway. I'm playing Battlefleet Gothic 2 right now as a palate cleanser, and I'm realizing I played my RT a lot like Lord Admiral Spire if I'm reading his characterization right.

im fully iconoclast, picked all the deciphering dialogue but don't remember getting a trinket from him :thunk:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Warmachine posted:

That's wild, hitting rank 3 locks the others to max rank 2, I'd have expected the Iconoclast requirements in Act 3 to require the rank 3 status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Naramyth posted:

I feel like I’m at the end of act 2 and I have thoughts. Game is easily the best owlcat game mechanically.

Space combat is a lot of fun and I want a whole roguelike of just that (with like, a few more ships on your side and faster animations.

May I introduce to you a little game called Starsector :cool: