Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

It's bc they were trying to say something about being homophobic, but they producers themselves were too scared and homophobic to actually go through with it

So they did the bold, the brave thing, and portrayed a heterosexual couple that they said represented homosexual relationships lol

The point of the episode loses its teeth when the producers themselves are so scared of what they're supposedly espousing, they won't even portray it lol

See also: The shitshow in The Offspring with the Ten Forward scene.

Though what really puts me in a spin is how the intention was to tackle gay rights...but somehow, with seemingly no awareness whatsoever, the episode did so by obfuscating it in a story that's about trans rights instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

With TNG you had the issue of writers and actors who wanted to directly tackle homosexuality and normalise it, with a layer of producers above them who didn't and were eagle-eyed watching to make sure they didn't ever show it clearly or get too close.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

An episode where Dax makes out with a woman is OK because two hot women kissing is considered less offensive than Garak and Bashir, smh

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

I think you'll find when I have something to say, you won't have any trouble understanding it.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Paramount dropped all 10 original cast members+tng movies. JJ treks remain and the original 10 went to Max, if the article is correct. Paramount is trying to clean up their balance sheet so they can be an attractive merger target for , someone, forget who, but bottom line is Trek is almost certainly going to be de-emphasized. Sucks.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Paramount dropped all 10 original cast members+tng movies. JJ treks remain and the original 10 went to Max, if the article is correct. Paramount is trying to clean up their balance sheet so they can be an attractive merger target for , someone, forget who, but bottom line is Trek is almost certainly going to be de-emphasized. Sucks.

I think that the merger that's been in the news is Discovery / HBO max Warner Bros.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Which is incredibly bad news. Worst case scenario. They're the ones who really like to shelve entire properties for short term breaks and are basically loving the company's long term value for some short term payoffs.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Corporations gonna corporation. :shrug:

That sucks rear end.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Worse when they merge with someone, less competiton and you know it means mass layoffs.

The mergers seldom benefits anyone, well, except certain share holders and the CEO who gets more money.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Uhhhh be advised - Neelix is dancing, I repeat Neelix is dancing

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Did Neelix actually raise the morale of the crew? Maybe they bonded over bagging on his cooking.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Did Neelix actually raise the morale of the crew? Maybe they bonded over bagging on his cooking.

Tuvok had that “murder neelix” holodeck program. Maybe he didn’t make that, and it’s just something that popped up in the “frequently played” tab?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Turns out it was just a default holodeck setting

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

Tuvok had that “murder neelix” holodeck program. Maybe he didn’t make that, and it’s just something that popped up in the “frequently played” tab?

Yea, but you can't say that Tuvok's morale didn't improve after choking out neelix. So yes he improved morale.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
If we could all choke out Neelix we'd be happier people.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

The Last Call posted:

If we could all choke out Neelix we'd be happier people.

Simply name your penis Neelix (if applicable)

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Peenix

I’d watch THAT transporter accident episode

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

There's always room for having someone around you can look at and think to yourself "at least I'm not that guy"

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Barry Foster posted:

There's always room for having someone around you can look at and think to yourself "at least I'm not that guy"

The only person who would benefit in that way from the addition of Neelix is Harry Kim

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Hollismason posted:

I think that the merger that's been in the news is Discovery / HBO max Warner Bros.

And then Disney buys that and no more gay aliens. 🤬

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

maybeadracula posted:

Simply name your penis Neelix (if applicable)

Been doing that for decades now.

naem
May 29, 2011

“computer, disengage safety protocols”

ENGAGE

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8205kJSig4A

This popped into my recommended tab and I got wondering if the writers in Season 1 realized how insanely arrogant this speech makes Picard sound. I often think about how much of a dick Picard can be in Seasons 1 and 2 and whether that was intentional or more a case of Roddenberry oversight and bad writing.

Because in the greater context of the show it is fun watching Picard grow out of being a pompous dickhead into a level headed diplomat but how much of that was the plan all along is up to interpretation.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mulaney Power Move posted:

An episode where Dax makes out with a woman is OK because two hot women kissing is considered less offensive than Garak and Bashir, smh

To be fair, even showing two women kissing was pretty controversial at the time. But yeah, there's no way an episode showing two guys kissing would've made it to air back in the '90s.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Oh, Janeway didn't make him Morale Officer to raise morale.

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8205kJSig4A

This popped into my recommended tab and I got wondering if the writers in Season 1 realized how insanely arrogant this speech makes Picard sound. I often think about how much of a dick Picard can be in Seasons 1 and 2 and whether that was intentional or more a case of Roddenberry oversight and bad writing.

Because in the greater context of the show it is fun watching Picard grow out of being a pompous dickhead into a level headed diplomat but how much of that was the plan all along is up to interpretation.

It's a bit arrogant, but with his following it up "I see us one day becoming that", I take it more as optimism, one of TNG's strongest traits.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

It's better than modern trek which would do the same thing but recite Sublime lyrics instead!

yeah i haven't watched star trek in a while

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mulaney Power Move posted:

It's better than modern trek which would do the same thing but recite Sublime lyrics instead!

yeah i haven't watched star trek in a while

You should. SNW, LD, and Prodigy all go a long way to unfucking everything JJ and DIsco did.

naem
May 29, 2011

please let us get 5+ full seasons of SNW before the Parmonut Pluts ‘Pocalypse©️™️

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

I wonder what the streaming numbers are for SNW.

The production budget for Disco and SNW must be huge. I'd argue newest trek doesn't need to be that big. The people, relationships and story telling are way more important than movie level sets and effects. Maybe there's a way for whoever ends up with the property to make ST stories that justify the ROI.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The production budget for Disco and SNW must be huge. I'd argue newest trek doesn't need to be that big. The people, relationships and story telling are way more important than movie level sets and effects. Maybe there's a way for whoever ends up with the property to make ST stories that justify the ROI.

SNW was the first streaming Trek show to crack the Nielsen Top 10 list since Paramount started releasing their metrics to them, so it's doing rather well as far as bullshit Hollywood nerd numbers go. Picard also, I think was a Top 10'er, and Discovery constantly appeared in the Netflix Top 10s when it was on there, and Prodigy also was in the Top 10 the week it dropped on Netflix. So people a lot are watching Modern Trek just going by publicly visible metrics.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

DaveWoo posted:

To be fair, even showing two women kissing was pretty controversial at the time. But yeah, there's no way an episode showing two guys kissing would've made it to air back in the '90s.

Yeah, the 90's way to do an acceptable girl-on-girl kiss, on ds8 and other 90's shows, is to contrive a way for them to never kiss again or even have it mentioned in future episodes. Like it was a mistake, their love is doomed, it was a one time thing, etc etc. Coupling up is out of the question. Perish the thought that our beloved female character was not actually available to the men around her, and by extent the male viewer - that would be sacrilege!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DaveWoo posted:

To be fair, even showing two women kissing was pretty controversial at the time.

Well, it was okay if it was gratuitous, like how all the women in the mirror universe were sexy leather clad bisexuals. Nobody had a problem with that!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah The Orville certainly looks chintzy at times and have things like their shuttle chairs just being off the shelf Gamer Chairs but it is honestly fine. I wouldn't mind a trek series looking like it in the slightest. Still had some fun alien and creature and tech designs for sure, even if there were obvious cuts elsewhere like a tiny generic engineering set.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

what better way to unite the maquis and loyalists amongst the crew than with a common enemy?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Cookie Cutter posted:

Yeah, the 90's way to do an acceptable girl-on-girl kiss, on ds8 and other 90's shows, is to contrive a way for them to never kiss again or even have it mentioned in future episodes. Like it was a mistake, their love is doomed, it was a one time thing, etc etc. Coupling up is out of the question. Perish the thought that our beloved female character was not actually available to the men around her, and by extent the male viewer - that would be sacrilege!

Mirror universe lesbians only

e: heh beaten

naem
May 29, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Well, it was okay if it was gratuitous, like how all the women in the mirror universe were sexy leather clad bisexuals. Nobody had a problem with that!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Lmao Jesus, wasn't expecting that one.

naem
May 29, 2011

mycomancy posted:

Lmao Jesus, wasn't expecting that one.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU