Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Did Miguel Cabrera retire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

zoux posted:

Augh my bones
I guess Turner? The rest are either cooked or about to retire

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

uggy posted:

Did Miguel Cabrera retire
Yes

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
drat I have memory holed that

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

uggy posted:

drat I have memory holed that

I remember him receiving a lot of alcohol as retirement gifts, which is a bit yikes

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Now there's a job we can hire Trevor Bauer to do

:drat:

I'm torn because on one hand I don't want to wish violence on people, but on the other hand, is Ryan Braun even people?

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Even if his contract stipulated that he had to live in a sensory deprivation chamber when not on the field, I'm not sure Trevor Bauer helps a major league team in 2024

He's been out of the majors for close to three years, he's an admitted cheater, he's only had one or two seasons where he was ever that good, he's 33 with tons of innings on his arm, and he's a pitcher

Like, there's this idea that if you're willing to hold your nose and he behaves himself, you're getting a young ace on the cheap, but I don't think that's actually all that likely even if he's a perfect angel

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I guess Turner? The rest are either cooked or about to retire
JT definitely had the best season of these five last year, but McCutchen was close (113 vs 114 OPS+) and is two years younger so I could see him holding out a bit longer

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

IcePhoenix posted:

you're almost there you can figure it out buddy

Anyway, Shohei and the Dodgers are donating a million to the relief efforts in Japan

https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/1743129109780414607

That’s always good to see! Especially given the Bauer discussion.

zoux posted:

Yeah but $900,000 is deferred to 2036

:golfclap:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
wasn't bauer getting obliterated in the NPB?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

you're almost there you can figure it out buddy

Anyway, Shohei and the Dodgers are donating a million to the relief efforts in Japan

https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/1743129109780414607
Reads like the Dodgers are donating $1M and Ohtani is giving a separate, unspecified amount.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Trevor Bauer quasi apology tour starting.

What team is gonna sign him?

I already have my gently caress Reinsdorf post queued up.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Mike_V posted:

wasn't bauer getting obliterated in the NPB?

IIRC he had a start on his team’s minor league affiliate and everyone thought it was because he was getting shelled but it (unfortunately) ended up being something he volunteered for as the equivalent of a rest day throw session, or like he was going to miss a start otherwise. Or maybe that was just the official line.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JimBowdenGM/status/1743327841217909129

Do the loving thing, Cubs.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

He did get torched once or twice but overall pitched well enough unfortunately: 2.76 ERA 130.2 IP 130 K across 19 games

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

they won't

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Can't wait for the twist where he goes to LA

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If the Dodgers are not pursuing a Japanese player this winter then I assume he's just not that good.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

zoux posted:

Augh my bones

I vote Turner, as I collapse into a pile of dust.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1743356239617089739?s=20

Trader Jerry will not be denied

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
You: There are only five active players left who debuted in the 2000's.

Me: Okay

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

What are the Giants doing? What sense does this make?

And they are sending money:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1743357688031875543

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 5, 2024

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

live with fruit posted:

What are the Giants doing? What sense does this make?

Giants have an OF glut, DeSclafani is dogshit, and prior to getting injured last year Ray was coming off two pretty strong seasons including a Cy. Also given the hugely inflated FA price for pitchers right now, as long as Ray is healthy and gives them #3 starter results or better his $25M AAV is honestly not that bad.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sydin posted:

Giants have an OF glut, DeSclafani is dogshit, and prior to getting injured last year Ray was coming off two pretty strong seasons including a Cy. Also given the hugely inflated FA price for pitchers right now, as long as Ray is healthy and gives them #3 starter results or better his $25M AAV is honestly not that bad.

He's probably going to miss most of the year.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Ray's not pitching until early August.

Seems like a risky move by the Giants but they also probably did not exactly want to play the will he/won't he game with Mitch's health again.

Meanwhile the Mariners are addicted to that game and have convinced themselves this time they can win it.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1743358342867591672?s=20

I guess Jerry got his phone back.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Trading for Ray is the kind of This Is For The Playoffs move you expect the Dodgers or Braves to make, not a team that should be more concerned with reaching the playoffs in the first place.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

live with fruit posted:

He's probably going to miss most of the year.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Ray's not pitching until early August.

Ah didn't realize that. Guess it's more a postseason play (lol they're gonna get steamrolled by the Dodgers in the division) and then 25/26?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Trading for Ray is the kind of This Is For The Playoffs move you expect the Dodgers or Braves to make, not a team that should be more concerned with reaching the playoffs in the first place.
Yeah I don’t really understand it. Not that the guys they are giving up are any good because they’re not, but because Ray won’t pitch much, has been inconsistent outside of his Cy Young year, and also at $25 mil a year isn’t really better than existing options. Like I assume that this takes them out of the running for Snell?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Truly wonder how Haniger feels about this.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Robbie Ray sucks why are the Giants doing this lol

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

I vote Turner, as I collapse into a pile of dust.
JT is one month older than me and as such his entire career arc has made me feel old, from the "wow look at this old guy having a break out!" to "Justin Turner is too old now to contribute to the Dodgers" to "Justin Turner is too old to play baseball" to the soon to come "Justin Turner: MLB Manager"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

JT is one month older than me and as such his entire career arc has made me feel old, from the "wow look at this old guy having a break out!" to "Justin Turner is too old now to contribute to the Dodgers" to "Justin Turner is too old to play baseball" to the soon to come "Justin Turner: MLB Manager"

Do you know how furious it makes me that I'm older than MadBum?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

would you describe your level of mad as "red-assed" on that topic?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

would you describe your level of mad as "red-assed" on that topic?

The entire concept is massaging my hand and starting directly at me while doing so.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

also whoever bought me the MadBum avatar really hosed up cause

1) I can't stand to see him next to my posts for long so I was bound to remove it soon and
2) Anime Ohtani only makes me want to post more to look at him again and again

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Stallings is awful but I guess if you are an MLB vet catcher you will get a lot of these jobs

https://twitter.com/harding_at_mlb/status/1743366952632897965?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FlamingLiberal posted:

Stallings is awful but I guess if you are an MLB vet catcher you will get a lot of these jobs

https://twitter.com/harding_at_mlb/status/1743366952632897965?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Yeah if you want premium job security without being a superstar then be a defensive backup catcher who's built a reputation for working well with pitchers. The one year deals will never stop flowing until your knees turn to dust.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Nodoze posted:

Robbie Ray sucks why are the Giants doing this lol

Yordan sheds a tear.

Thanks for the great years Uncle Mike. Glad you got a ring!

https://x.com/theaceofspaeder/status/1743332368935682522?s=20

MrMidnight fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1743369956689899620

We are BACK