Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Nuebot posted:

Sony's gotta have something, because it sure isn't games.

Ahh yes, noted "utter failure of 1st party games" for PS like Uncharted, God of War, Bloodborne, Horizon, Last of Us, and Spider-Man. Probably some of the Final Fantasy games? IDK, I don't play those.

I think some of those eventually got half-assed PC ports.

I get there's certainly less overall good games on PS Plus vs Gamepass, but I'm struggling to think of games other than Halo or Gears of War that are considered "classic" X Box exclusives?

Edit: This isn't some dumb fuckin' console rivalry poo poo, I have both systems, I just though it's an odd comment about PS not having games. They have most of the same across both systems.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 14:40 on Jan 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

DrBouvenstein posted:

Ahh yes, noted "utter failure of 1st party games" for PS like Uncharted, God of War, Bloodborne, Horizon, Last of Us, and Spider-Man. Probably some of the Final Fantasy games? IDK, I don't play those.

I get there's certainly less overall good games on PS Plus vs Gamepass, but I'm struggling to think of games other than Halo or Gears of War that are considered "classic" X Box exclusives?

Edit: This isn't some dumb fuckin' console rivalry poo poo, I have both systems, I just though it's an odd comment about PS not having games. They have most of the same across both systems.

I think it's a running joke, I wouldn't worry about it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Morpheus posted:

But I wanna be butthurt about games. :(

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

DrBouvenstein posted:

bloodborne came out almost a decade ago

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

And it still hasn’t been topped

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Or ported… it’s the only souls like game I have any interest in until Sekiro 2 comes out, but I can’t give Sony my money!

I also had a rather lengthy side quest in Cyberpunk break on me right at the end. The quest giver got into a car, drove into a wall, then disappeared. Kind of hard to get into the car with them after that.

The game will also have characters comment on if you get too far away from them in conversations, but it can be very jarring sometimes. Listening to Panam talk about something very emotional, only to cut herself off with a cheery ‘Let’s put a pin in that’, to going back to sobbing when I get closer is weird.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well, lemme check the back...

okay we've got
a) how Dark Souls 2 is actually the best and that everyone is dumb for not realizing this
b) mass effect's ending
c) video games too woke (I wouldn't recommend this, even when we received this is was spoiled and out of date)
d) spyro's color is all wrong and everyone is dumb for not realizing this
e) vagina bones - a classic

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

God of War is an all-time great series for sure, but it ended in 2010, you can't keep riding that credit forever.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Funny thing to say about a series that started in 2018

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

DrBouvenstein posted:

The PS3 doesn't have any games!!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Both God of War series are B- action games at best and both Kratoses make DmC Dante look like a deep, charismatic, well rounded character.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

RandolphCarter posted:

And it still hasn’t been topped

I can't be a fat man with a huge shield so it is not the best souls game sorry. Still good tho.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Well, lemme check the back...

okay we've got
a) how Dark Souls 2 is actually the best and that everyone is dumb for not realizing this
b) mass effect's ending
c) video games too woke (I wouldn't recommend this, even when we received this is was spoiled and out of date)
d) spyro's color is all wrong and everyone is dumb for not realizing this
e) vagina bones - a classic

a) I won't say it's the best, I still prefer #1, but it's a close second (:haw:) for me
b) never played a mass effect, don't care
c) I thought they were too WAKE? Cause Alan Wake 2? Huh?
d) never played a spyro
e) all i have to saw about this is I knew a guy in college who would swear up and down that Asian women has an extra muscle in their vagina. he eventually got too into drugs and flunked out.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

[Your favorite game]? That game for dumb babies who are dumb and babies?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I can't correct for my biases enough to objectively rate the God of War series, because it is a perfect incarnation of the themes and vibes of Greek mythology (not the facts, the themes), and I get that if that doesn't click with you or you don't care then it's just another action game.

Dad of Boy is overstuffed garbage that flips between maudlin HELLO NEW FATHERS IN AUDIENCE, CONNECT WITH THIS and bizarre plot twists to bring in elements from the mythology mangled to make Loki the hero. And then the combat sucks on top of that.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

The Moon Monster posted:

Both God of War series are B- action games at best and both Kratoses make DmC Dante look like a deep, charismatic, well rounded character.

Sad Dad Kratos is at least as charismatic and deep as DMC2 Dante

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
whoa i just realized Kratos and Dante are both legends of Sparda/Sparta

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Morpheus posted:

columbo: How could you be at home playing PS3, if the PS3 has no games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnDe2u5M7e8

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
edit: ahh I won't defend the game too hard but I will keep the next one

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 22:10 on Jan 5, 2024

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also, the depth of Christopher Judge's voice acting skill is wild and Kratos lacking character development is an insane thing to say

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Whatever brain genius that decided that dual wielding in Skyrim requires you to alternate mouse clicks instead of just alternating which hand you swing with when you press the attack button is an rear end in a top hat

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

kazil posted:

More like, for dummy thicc babes!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yakuza 7 has a bigger wow factor in 3 hours than God of War (2018)+ Ragnarok does in 63 hours*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXgRfxvvCnE

* I kid, the Stranger fight is great.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

kazil posted:

Then stick a pacifier in my mouth, because Shadowrun for the Sega Genesis still rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPabKTZ6128

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

moosecow333 posted:

Or ported… it’s the only souls like game I have any interest in until Sekiro 2 comes out, but I can’t give Sony my money!

I also had a rather lengthy side quest in Cyberpunk break on me right at the end. The quest giver got into a car, drove into a wall, then disappeared. Kind of hard to get into the car with them after that.

The game will also have characters comment on if you get too far away from them in conversations, but it can be very jarring sometimes. Listening to Panam talk about something very emotional, only to cut herself off with a cheery ‘Let’s put a pin in that’, to going back to sobbing when I get closer is weird.

you can play it on pc right now op

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Christopher judge being the main VA for God of war is making a strong case for me to actually play it tbh

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Christopher judge being the main VA for God of war is making a strong case for me to actually play it tbh

Indeed

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Regardless of how you feel about Sad Dad Kratos, the reboot games do have really strong performances and cool story beats so I don't begrudge them.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The performances are really strong, but they're covering up that the story is either generic Dad Story, torturously drawn-out restating like an anime desperately filling screentime, or just absolutely cracked.

Kratos never has a reason to go to war with Asgard. He's not forced along by curses or fate or personal vendettas, he doesn't like anybody that Asgard's been at war with enough to fight for them and they don't like him except as a weapon they can use. Boy doesn't have any reason to either, except that he's gotten obsessed with what a bunch of people he's never met and knows nothing about would want him to do. And then the whole game frames it like a "father must learn to support young adult son's goals in life even if they're not what he wants" but those goals are to destroy a whole country and kill everybody who lives there. We talk a guy into killing himself for no reason, which gets another ally killed pointlessly, and the game just kinda..ignores it, because Boy needs to pursue his dreams. Of genocide.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Byzantine posted:

The performances are really strong, but they're covering up that the story is either generic Dad Story, torturously drawn-out restating like an anime desperately filling screentime, or just absolutely cracked.

Kratos never has a reason to go to war with Asgard. He's not forced along by curses or fate or personal vendettas, he doesn't like anybody that Asgard's been at war with enough to fight for them and they don't like him except as a weapon they can use. Boy doesn't have any reason to either, except that he's gotten obsessed with what a bunch of people he's never met and knows nothing about would want him to do. And then the whole game frames it like a "father must learn to support young adult son's goals in life even if they're not what he wants" but those goals are to destroy a whole country and kill everybody who lives there. We talk a guy into killing himself for no reason, which gets another ally killed pointlessly, and the game just kinda..ignores it, because Boy needs to pursue his dreams. Of genocide.

Its been awhile since GoW 2018, but I don't remember Kratos at any point wanting to deal with Asgard. He goes out of his way to not interact with any of them at all until Baldur shows up.
Even in 2, they aren't starting Ragnarok, its Odin and Heimdall's work that does that.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Kratos is pretty well trying to stay out of the way; they come bother him and cause a ton of issues because they didn't ask a question or two. Kratos is trying to take Atreus to fulfill his late mother's last wish.

It's fine if you don't like the game, but for gently caress's sake

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Byzantine posted:

lol, i've never played the games but i'm beginning to think you havent either

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Byzantine posted:

that's some real byzantine reasoning you got going on there

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kratos' son grows up and wants to do a genocide? I never would've seen that coming.

I would've expected this from Bowser Jr.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kratos's whole deal, in every game, is killing a shitload of randos because he's a loser or because his son is a loser. Videogame Eliot Rodger, basically.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I played partway through GoW 2018, but my problem was that at no point I really could bring myself to care about anything going on in the story. Kratos is a tedious dickhead, Boy is much more annoying than endearing, and the supposed overarching plot of burying Wife kind of falls flat since I never learned what her actual deal was.

IIRC I got all the way to the top of the mountain, after a whole host of detours and sidequests, only to be told "Sorry Kratos, but your gravesite is on another mountain!". That was the point where I realised "Oh wait I actually don't give a poo poo" and ended up uninstalling, since the gameplay itself was only ever competent and really not good enough to carry the game on its own.

Perestroika has a new favorite as of 12:35 on Jan 6, 2024

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm playing RE4 Remake on PS4 and the textures take 40 seconds of standing still looking at one direction to load. More concrete a complaint, I wish the Bolt Caster (a fancy collapsing crossbow gun) arrows could just ping off walls and fall off somewhere you could actually recover them. I've had a lot of situations where I miss someone's head by a foot and then my ammo's embedded in a wall 27' above the ground.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The bolt caster brings RE4 down. The game tricks you into thinking it's something you should use, while it rains ammo at you if you use real guns

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Modern Kratos is basically classic Hulk. We want him to rage out and cut loose but the story makes it a conflicted, guilty pleasure for the audience because of how that will screw things up for him.

Or it tries to at least. For a game called God of War I find it a little tedious for the main character to be so hand-wringing about kicking some rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The real thing dragging God of War down is Kratos' power disparity over the course of the game. Early on, he survives incredible amounts of physical damage, only to wrench giant chunks of mountains out of the earth to beat his enemies with. But later, he will die by taking in the merest whiff of fart gas. What am I to believe?