Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/byHeatherLong/status/1743264127995326644?t=uu20sAuhXdDwql-GbTinNg&s=19

"Good jobs report and why that's bad news for Joe Biden," the MSM almost certainly

With the caveat that I know that an individual president really has little sway over the short-term direction of the economy, I think a lot of people look at those numbers and think "well, that sure as poo poo doesn't apply to me." My annual pay increase didn't keep pace with inflation or the CPI and my wife and I are effectively priced out of buying a new home right now thanks to interest rates, and we are solidly in what would be the middle-class professional bracket. It's not like prices on consumer goods that went up during and after the acute phase of the pandemic are coming down, either. There's been a lot of op-eds about the "vibecession" and such (mostly with a not-so-subtle tinge of "why don't the proles realize how good they really have it?") but people are going to vote based on how they perceive their own financial circumstances, and the only place they're going to direct that toward is the incumbent president. Notice how no one's really trumpeting "Bidenomics" anymore?

edit: shameful snipe, have a cozy puppy who certainly doesn't care about the rising cost of dog food and stuffies

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Crab Dad posted:

They need a distraction from their activities and wasn’t this guy meddling in Israel?

No, they do not. If you're going to try to speculate, at least make it based on something.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

With the caveat that I know that an individual president really has little sway over the short-term direction of the economy, I think a lot of people look at those numbers and think "well, that sure as poo poo doesn't apply to me." My annual pay increase didn't keep pace with inflation or the CPI and my wife and I are effectively priced out of buying a new home right now thanks to interest rates, and we are solidly in what would be the middle-class professional bracket. It's not like prices on consumer goods that went up during and after the acute phase of the pandemic are coming down, either. There's been a lot of op-eds about the "vibecession" and such (mostly with a not-so-subtle tinge of "why don't the proles realize how good they really have it?") but people are going to vote based on how they perceive their own financial circumstances, and the only place they're going to direct that toward is the incumbent president. Notice how no one's really trumpeting "Bidenomics" anymore?

A lot of it is catch-up after a few bad years. The CPI increases for the last few years are baked into the stats, current inflation being 3.1% doesn't show that prices are up a combined 15-20% over the last few years. Raw employment numbers only got back to pre-pandemic levels in late '22/early '23. The trajectory of the economy is good, a lot of people who were suffering 3-4 years ago are doing a lot better now, but for a whole bunch of the population that is treading water or worse over the last few years that's not going to matter much as far as perception.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
An OG commando, veteran of the British Long Range Desert Group, died at 104. There’s quite a story:
https://dnyuz.com/2024/01/05/mike-sadler-intrepid-desert-navigator-in-world-war-ii-dies-at-104/

“Maj. Mike Sadler, a World War II navigator on the trackless Sahara of North Africa, who guided Britain’s first special forces across sand seas on daring behind-the-lines night raids that blew up enemy aircraft on the ground and troops in their billets, died on Thursday in Cambridge, England. He was 104.”

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I think a lot of people look at those numbers and think "well, that sure as poo poo doesn't apply to me."
I feel this. My wife and I are making what I would have considered an extremely comfortable household income for most of my life, and probably 20% more than we made when we first moved into our current house 8 years ago.

But we both feel broker than we did 5 years ago because everything has gotten so goddam expensive. Mind you, it's not "we need to eat rice instead of meat" broke, but its still "where did all our money go" at the end of each month. (And we are not millennials so it's not the avocado toast.)

That feeling is not helped by her being in healthcare (salary, not hourly) and working her rear end off as a load bearing human in a collapsing system where it doesn't matter if she's already on hour 12 of her 10 hour day, if she doesn't review the patient's labs before she goes home he may die since there's nobody else there to review them. She's definitely said that despite making more than she did 5 years ago, the dollar per effort ratio feels shittier.

So basically, the numbers can say what they say, but the vibe doesn't feel that way.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

stealie72 posted:

I feel this. My wife and I are making what I would have considered an extremely comfortable household income for most of my life, and probably 20% more than we made when we first moved into our current house 8 years ago.

But we both feel broker than we did 5 years ago because everything has gotten so goddam expensive. Mind you, it's not "we need to eat rice instead of meat" broke, but its still "where did all our money go" at the end of each month. (And we are not millennials so it's not the avocado toast.)

That feeling is not helped by her being in healthcare (salary, not hourly) and working her rear end off as a load bearing human in a collapsing system where it doesn't matter if she's already on hour 12 of her 10 hour day, if she doesn't review the patient's labs before she goes home he may die since there's nobody else there to review them. She's definitely said that despite making more than she did 5 years ago, the dollar per effort ratio feels shittier.

So basically, the numbers can say what they say, but the vibe doesn't feel that way.

As someone who is measurably better off with my most recent job change even counting for inflation and cost of living and all of that, I still don't enjoy the current "economy" because I am one bad diagnosis away from bankruptcy and losing everything for both myself and my family. What is there to feel "good" about when it can all vanish up some healthcare CEO billionaire's coked-out nostril tomorrow? There's nothing out there for me besides what I have right now and family to fall back on.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

income/wealth inequality is a bitch
my favourite has to be the property "investors" saying that they're doing a public good because they buy houses and then rent them out

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Yeah financially we are in good shape at home but could not really afford to move and buy a home anywhere close to the quality of the one we bought only 5 years ago.

People who didn't buy in a couple years back are pretty hosed in terms of home ownership and rents have only skyrocketed here in New England. That and the general quality of almost everything is palpably worse across the board.I can confidently say we are paying a lot more for a lot less (both quantity and quality) vs just 4-5 years prior.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

All that said, even if your personal financial situation isn’t great, taking a step back and deciding that voting trump is the solution is some seriously deranged thinking. And that’s where tens of millions of americans stand today.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My personal log for the fire is the Affordable Connectivity Program getting tougher standards this year. It was nice for shaving almost half my internet bill off, and where I live there is literally only one choice for internet service because Florida's infrastructure is so lovely. Only the nice, built up parts of Florida have multiple choices for internet. Everywhere else is a one company show.

But I no longer qualify this year because they lowered the income level you need to be at or under to qualify for the program.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

All that said, even if your personal financial situation isn’t great, taking a step back and deciding that voting trump is the solution is some seriously deranged thinking. And that’s where tens of millions of americans stand today.

That's kind of the struggle with the Biden/Democratic argument that they haven't quite figured out how to make yet.

I still think this is all post-pandemic supply/demand effects (plus gouging). Having basically two years of 0% cost increases, then having one around 10-15% when demand shot way the gently caress up has really hosed with the national mood. Biden / Fed Reserve got things back to the usual 2% only recently, people are still hurting from that 10-15% year.

And outside of the other stuff mentioned (like one sickness away from bankruptcy), voters vote on vibes and probably won't advance to the "trump worse" part of the argument. Or they're tired of the argument that Trump would be worse and get angry at even the suggestion of the argument. Lots and lots of that going on with the Israeli poo poo now.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1743268349319033025?t=7eusGyaKcQtcnQrnndiK4A&s=19

I joked a couple years ago how Trump revisionists would eventually say that George Washington was a member of the Trump family. We're on our way.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Cythereal posted:

My personal log for the fire is the Affordable Connectivity Program getting tougher standards this year. It was nice for shaving almost half my internet bill off, and where I live there is literally only one choice for internet service because Florida's infrastructure is so lovely. Only the nice, built up parts of Florida have multiple choices for internet. Everywhere else is a one company show.

But I no longer qualify this year because they lowered the income level you need to be at or under to qualify for the program.

And that's the other thing about "the economy is great, all the signs are pointing up up up!!" It will just get used as an argument to wind down financial support for people, further slash welfare, etc. After all, things are good again! Why would we ever need things like expanded unemployment? People are just lazy and not working!

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

That Works posted:

Yeah financially we are in good shape at home but could not really afford to move and buy a home anywhere close to the quality of the one we bought only 5 years ago.

People who didn't buy in a couple years back are pretty hosed in terms of home ownership and rents have only skyrocketed here in New England. That and the general quality of almost everything is palpably worse across the board.I can confidently say we are paying a lot more for a lot less (both quantity and quality) vs just 4-5 years prior.

I'm in the Providence area and I'm bracing for what will almost certainly be a major rent hike this year, which would push our rent from "high, but not unaffordable" firmly into "unaffordable". Doesn't help that rents have been rising faster in RI than literally anywhere else in the country. This is going to doubly suck because the place we have now is super conveniently located for both me and my wife, and I'm really not in the mood to have to move to some bargain basement shithole out in the boonies just so I can afford to stay alive.

I was hoping to buy a place one of these days but that prospect feels more distant than ever right about now.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The only real thing about the "American Dream" is that it was a dream.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1743268349319033025?t=7eusGyaKcQtcnQrnndiK4A&s=19
I joked a couple years ago how Trump revisionists would eventually say that George Washington was a member of the Trump family. We're on our way.

God made someone who would spend all morning watching Fox and Friends, belittle anyone who disagrees with him, and forsake three wedding vows.

Right.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Itchy_Grundle posted:

God made someone who would spend all morning watching Fox and Friends, belittle anyone who disagrees with him, and forsake three wedding vows.

Right.
TBF, nobody said which god. Creating the most annoying human on earth is peak Roman/Greek god poo poo.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

stealie72 posted:

TBF, nobody said which god. Creating the most annoying human on earth is peak Roman/Greek god poo poo.

It's usually a punishment for hubris too, isn't it?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

This feels insane to me. This looks like a commercial from a The Purge/Equilibrium crossover.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I'm in the Providence area and I'm bracing for what will almost certainly be a major rent hike this year, which would push our rent from "high, but not unaffordable" firmly into "unaffordable". Doesn't help that rents have been rising faster in RI than literally anywhere else in the country. This is going to doubly suck because the place we have now is super conveniently located for both me and my wife, and I'm really not in the mood to have to move to some bargain basement shithole out in the boonies just so I can afford to stay alive.

I was hoping to buy a place one of these days but that prospect feels more distant than ever right about now.

Yup.

It's bullshit here, the house we bought 5 years ago we cannot possibly afford to live in if we were to buy it today with our current salaries. Makes all the "income is up actually" talk pretty drat hollow.

Also lol our electricity is the highest in the country outside of Hawaii and gets like 30-40% increases for each winter.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Zamujasa posted:

The only real thing about the "American Dream" is that it was a dream.

George Carlin said that poo poo what, 20 years ago? And somehow it gets more and more true every single year.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zamujasa posted:

And that's the other thing about "the economy is great, all the signs are pointing up up up!!" It will just get used as an argument to wind down financial support for people, further slash welfare, etc. After all, things are good again! Why would we ever need things like expanded unemployment? People are just lazy and not working!

It’s deeply shameful that twice as many children live in poverty as did in 2021.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Video from 2011, when Adams was a state senator

https://twitter.com/mikescollins/status/1742959312220168388

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Who's the last NYC mayor who wasn't a weird piece of poo poo. Dinkins?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/PopularLiberal/status/1743339041011937426?t=lio6g4JFZU_oQNyU68D-sQ&s=19

CHHHYNNNUHHH

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

income/wealth inequality is a bitch
my favourite has to be the property "investors" saying that they're doing a public good because they buy houses and then rent them out

Speaking of inequality
https://twitter.com/DanielHornung46/status/1743284419446641069
https://twitter.com/arindube/status/1743311748021510399

It really feels like everyone is mostly complaining about housing. But you have to remember where this is coming from. The US more or less didn't build any housing from 2008 to 2018, but that was tolerable because millennials were doing what economists call "abnormally low household formation" and what normal people call "living with their parents after graduation or living with even more roommates than they would have liked." This is not because millennials wanted to do that, it's because the economy sucked. When the economy got better, all those millennials started planning to live on their own, and maybe even have a home office for remote work. But it turns out US more or less didn't build any housing from 2008 to 2018, and in capitalism when there's not enough stuff to go around, the prices skyrocket.

For certain regions (California, Vermont, greater NYC, Oregon, Hawaii), it's even worse because they have been refusing to build housing since millennials were born. This is why the US state with the lowest homelessness rate is Mississippi, a state with crushing income inequality, racism, and drug use. Skyrocketing house prices and homelessness in the US is a sign of people getting richer, looking around for a potential new house, and discovering nothing has been built in their neighborhood since the 80s.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
it also didn't help at all that a bunch of houses were bought by businesses and other "investors"

‘Swapping homes like stocks’: Wall Street-backed firm buys 264 valley homes in a day

quote:

A Wall Street-backed corporate landlord bought hundreds of Clark County homes in a staggering one-off residential sale in summer 2023.

Miami-based investment firm Starwood Capital Group sold 264 homes in Clark County for $98 million to Dallas-based Invitation Homes (NYSE: INVH), according to Clark County property records.

The deal, made in three separate transactions, closed on July 18, property records show. The largest sale was $57.5 million for 155 homes, the second was $26.3 million for 70 homes and the third was $14.1 million for 39.

The majority of the homes sold are in the city of Las Vegas (94), followed by the city of North Las Vegas with 77. The price range for each home ranged from around $292,000 to $694,000, with the average price at $371,514.

The sale is part of a much larger deal between Starwood Capital and Invitation Homes, a $650 million swap for a portfolio of close to 1,900 single-family rental homes, with the vast majority being in the Sun Belt, including in Texas, Florida, Phoenix, Las Vegas and Los Angeles.

Wall Street-backed hedge funds, corporate landlords and cash rich investors have been buying up single-family homes across the country as far back as 2009, which experts say means fewer houses on the market for families to purchase. That also could lead to higher rental prices and fewer affordable homes in regions like the Las Vegas Valley. A MetLife Investment Management study shows these companies could own close to 40 percent of all U.S. houses by 2030.

Concerning the $98 million sale, an Invitation Homes representative said the purchase was part of a “larger portfolio acquisition across multiple markets,” but declined to comment further on the deal. As of the third quarter of 2023, the company had bought 2,291 homes for $854 million during the year, which includes the 264 homes in the Las Vegas Valley, according to its latest earnings report. Starwood Capital declined to comment on the sale.

the lvrj is trash but you know what they say about stopped clocks

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Zamujasa posted:

it also didn't help at all that a bunch of houses were bought by businesses and other "investors"

‘Swapping homes like stocks’: Wall Street-backed firm buys 264 valley homes in a day

the lvrj is trash but you know what they say about stopped clocks

There are always big enough deals large corporate deals to make the news, but small investors have always been the majority of housing investors, and always have done so. When it comes to total homes bought, small investors (10 or less houses) bought over ten times as much as institutional investors did (1000+ total owned houses) this year, and have consistently done so basically every year.

https://www.housingwire.com/articles/no-wall-street-investors-havent-bought-44-of-homes-this-year/

And these big institutional investors don't even win all the time. Remember when there was a massive panic over Zillow and Redfin hording houses in 2018? Well, both Zillow and Redfin got owned so hard in 2021-23 and lost so much money on housing investment that both companies closed their entire iBuying housing investment divisions, and sold off their houses.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

golden bubble posted:

There are always big enough deals large corporate deals to make the news, but small investors have always been the majority of housing investors, and always have done so. When it comes to total homes bought, small investors (10 or less houses) bought over ten times as much as institutional investors did (1000+ total owned houses) this year, and have consistently done so basically every year.

https://www.housingwire.com/articles/no-wall-street-investors-havent-bought-44-of-homes-this-year/

And these big institutional investors don't even win all the time. Remember when there was a massive panic over Zillow and Redfin hording houses in 2018? Well, both Zillow and Redfin got owned so hard in 2021-23 and lost so much money on housing investment that both companies closed their entire iBuying housing investment divisions, and sold off their houses.

Yeah even progressives that study land use and real estate tend to dispute the notion that institutional investors are responsible for housing prices being where they are:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2023/01/housing-crisis-hedge-funds-private-equity-scapegoat/672839/

The uncomfortable reality is that there's no incentive for homeowners (families or institutional investors) to support policies that lower the prices of homes, including large-scale development and high-density/multi-unit buildings. Because nobody who bought a house for a certain amount (with most of it likely financed) wants to be underwater on their basis or their mortgage. It's also kind of taken as a given in the US (and UK) that home ownership is effectively a form of wealth creation/a nest egg for retirement. In countries with relatively stable housing prices, like Germany and Japan, home ownership typically isn't viewed as an investment and renters aren't second-class citizens.

psydude fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 5, 2024

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Agreed. When it comes to investors buying out housing, the news complains about giant corporations, but the real action is thousand upon thousands upon thousands of rich boomers and Gen X landlords that only have a few houses to their name. In this case, it's not exciting wall street capitalists but boring main street capitalists.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
It would be nice if we could just institute higher tax brackets per house owned. And just organize them from lowest value to highest value, with the highest value homes being in the higher tax bracket. Let people own a second home with no penalty, but each additional home starts organizing your homes into tiered tax brackets.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/Meghann_MT/status/1743398005405786379?t=2EjwcieQv6xKExpr0-z3Tg&s=19

Lol the classic drop a big news story on Friday at close of business

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

MonkeyFit posted:

It would be nice if we could just institute higher tax brackets per house owned. And just organize them from lowest value to highest value, with the highest value homes being in the higher tax bracket. Let people own a second home with no penalty, but each additional home starts organizing your homes into tiered tax brackets.

I still like a vacancy tax, but it's probably got hidden impracticalities and snags that make it a bad idea.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

MonkeyFit posted:

Some states do things like this. Minnesota has really high property taxes but offers things like their “Homestead Market Value Exclusion” that gives a hefty reduction in property taxes if you live full time in the house you own. If it’s an investment property, you pay the full rate but everyone who owns and lives in a single house pays a much more reasonable amount.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hekk posted:

Some states do things like this. Minnesota has really high property taxes but offers things like their “Homestead Market Value Exclusion” that gives a hefty reduction in property taxes if you live full time in the house you own. If it’s an investment property, you pay the full rate but everyone who owns and lives in a single house pays a much more reasonable amount.

It's incredible when the loving USA has a more progressive tax system than my country

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's incredible when the loving USA has a more progressive tax system than my country

It's not the USA, just specific states. My state, Louisiana, also has a homestead exemption on your primary residence. Many states do not.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hekk posted:

Yeah Maryland does this too, and I have no idea why it's not the loving norm.

I grew up in RI/SE Mass, and was incredibly poor as well. Finding affordable housing was a nightmare for my mom until she finally relented and moved us into one of the cities in RI that had a rep of "abandon all hope ye who enter here" but was mostly due to racism/classism.

Housing became slightly more affordable once we moved there, but it was still a struggle. I moved away in 2010, and my mom up until she died lived in subsidized housing, but getting her into that was a nightmare in itself. Anyways, I cannot begin to imagine how hard it is now, and RI takes the cake for being stupid expensive to live in yet having a poo poo job market. Also gently caress National Grid, they make Pepco look like Doctors Without Borders in comparison.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

golden bubble posted:

Agreed. When it comes to investors buying out housing, the news complains about giant corporations, but the real action is thousand upon thousands upon thousands of rich boomers and Gen X landlords that only have a few houses to their name. In this case, it's not exciting wall street capitalists but boring main street capitalists.
Boomers: "Woah, woah, woah, you're a developer and you're trying to build 'homes' in my neighborhood? Get that filthy money-grubbing gentrification poo poo outta here!!!"

Also Boomers: "lol lol lol the value of my lovely properties keep going up because my friends and I have blocked construction of new housing supply 1990, I'm loving rich!"

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

MonkeyFit posted:

We really need a progressive wealth tax in general, limiting property taxes to real estate is a weird distinction that only hurts the middle class. Almost all non-property wealth is financial assets held in financial institutions that are straightforward to value and track (just the 1099s the IRS already has probably get us 95% of the way there). Make it confiscatory, like 10%+ after a hundred million-ish so it becomes an indirect wealth cap, and there might be a noticeable improvement in inequality over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

38/50 states, plus Washington, DC have some form of property tax homestead exemption or credit
https://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/201...o%20homeowners.