Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I like having two seperate monitors and have them on independent arms so I can move them independently.

They have to be identical though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

xzzy posted:

Sounds to me like the one best solution is a single screen. As big as you can get with as many pixels as possible.

:hai:

Just lol if you're not using one giant monitor

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I have 7 monitors

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I get annoyed by different PPI and I'm not exactly impressed by Windows' approach to scaling, so I have a 38" 1600p, 34" 1440p and two 27" 1440p monitors with the same PPI. It works out. Ultrawides are awesome.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:perfect:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

How do you fly that spaceship keyboard?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Standing and saluting this image

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Hell yeah, that's great.

xzzy posted:

Sounds to me like the one best solution is a single screen. As big as you can get with as many pixels as possible.

Now that tabbed windows is a mature feature in almost all software it really feels like I don't need as many windows visible as I once did.

Several years back before I went full-remote, I got my manager to approve a 4K TV as the singular monitor in my cube. I stuck it all the way at the back of the desk to keep the viewing angles from getting too bad at the corners and mostly just treated it as 4x 1080, snapping windows into corners. It worked really well and at least a couple people walking by said "hey, I should try that!"

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
What's with so many people getting nice mics? I feel like everyone got condensers with arm mounts over covid but I don't really understand why when plain ol headsets sound fine nowadays.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

drat, widescreen CRT? This setup fucks

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Is that the masturbatorium?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Blurb3947 posted:

What's with so many people getting nice mics? I feel like everyone got condensers with arm mounts over covid but I don't really understand why when plain ol headsets sound fine nowadays.

I still come across so many people just using the lovely built in mics on their laptops and sounding like poo poo. In a fully remote environment! Why is this so difficult nearly 4 years into the WFH shift!

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Blurb3947 posted:

If you’re using AirPods or similar to not look silly on sales/sales-adjacent calls, you end up with crappy Bluetooth audio

Plus if work will pay for it why not just use a mic on an arm

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Blurb3947 posted:

I get better audio quality on my headset (and less need to mess with Bluetooth config in Windows) if I use it for output only, and if I have a problem with my headset while I'm on a call I can just switch over to speaker.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Hughmoris posted:

How do you fly that spaceship keyboard?

very carefully:
https://medium.com/swlh/complete-idiot-guide-for-building-a-dactyl-manuform-keyboard-53454845b065

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Eletriarnation posted:

I get better audio quality on my headset if I use it for output only, and if I have a problem with my headset while I'm on a call I can just switch over to speaker.

If you're using bluetooth the codec switches to for input/output sucks rear end, but it can do way higher quality if it's output only. LDAC etc. otherwise it defauts to like sbc bullshit

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have two different 27" 1440p monitors stacked next to my 42" OLED main monitor. Normally it would bother me, but their construction is close enough (one LG, one Asus) with similar bezels that it's fine. The only real difference between the two unless you really really stare is the logo. Also, them being stacked also helps in that regard as there's no symmetry to worry about.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
All these battle stations not a single poster of the OSI model

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

they're all images of different implementations of layer 8 interfaces

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

boss forwarded a defender alert which i cannot see and googling the threat gave no details, i hate this place

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

The Fool posted:

you're right they should both be aliased to invoke-webrequest

This is the most psychotic post ever in this thread

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

This should be the only allowed multi monitor setup.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

tickets i've gotten today:

- help i'm getting an "out of storage" message (does not include an image or what the notification is coming from, ignores follow up message)
- we got an alert on a computer, no i won't tell you what it means nor do you have access to view it yourself <goes into hour long meeting>
- help i can't copy this url (does not tell me what he is trying to copy or what steps he has taken)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

jaegerx posted:

This should be the only allowed multi monitor setup.

Prepare to Post

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Lol just lol if you expect anything more than the bare minimum of information in tickets.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Help!!!!

Thanks,
Bill

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
*replies to old ticket with completely different issue*

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

tokin opposition posted:

tickets i've gotten today:

- help i'm getting an "out of storage" message (does not include an image or what the notification is coming from, ignores follow up message)
- we got an alert on a computer, no i won't tell you what it means nor do you have access to view it yourself <goes into hour long meeting>
- help i can't copy this url (does not tell me what he is trying to copy or what steps he has taken)

Slow day here but most of my tickets have been eye rollers.
-help I can’t export data to a personal storage device
-I need help please email my personal address I don’t check my company issued email
-financial company is trying to send a link to documents but it’s getting blocked with an SSL error. In their email they include a notice saying “chances are the page will get blocked; have your IT department remove your web filtering”

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

klosterdev posted:

Lol just lol if you expect anything more than the bare minimum of information in tickets.

code:
re: fw: help

below not work ples fix

<20 pages of meandering email thread about something that has very little to do with IT at all>

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

look at this rock star that gets the courtesy of a "ples"

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Is it possible to setup a giant wall of monitors like a 90s rich guy villain to take video calls on? Can I out of the box split to like 30 monitors on windows?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

klosterdev posted:

Old ticket was assigned to and closed by someone who doesn't work at the company any more, so it re-opens and sits in their queue forever

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

So uh ... say you need to access an MBOX Google Takeout archive from a modern Mac ... how the gently caress do you do it now? I used to just use Thunderbird and point the local folder to the archive, but older versions of Thunderbird, that let you just use offline folders, don't run anymore.

Modern ones don't seem to support local folders, or perhaps don't show them until I log in with an account. For some reason my work account doesn't want to work (despite IMAP being allowed on my user.) I know there are extensions for this, but again they don't seem to do anything unless the local folder is available.

There's got to be a better way??

edit: I might be an idiot and forgot I needed to personally enable IMAP too

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

klosterdev posted:

I had someone do this yesterday to a ticket so old that we were using a different ticket portal back then and it was only by sheer luck that I was the person assigned to it because it would have otherwise been completely missed

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Oh I forgot a request (was a teams message not a ticket) that came in today. CEO ordered star link for his house and it finally came in; my boss asked if I’d go install it.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

don't worry the sysadmin has responded to an article for the windows defender alert

about a different alert, with a different number, that appears to be unrelated

if i didn't have a meeting later today i'd be cracking a cider by now

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

does mail.app not import that file type anymore?

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

It's so weird because like... it has to be SO much more effort to dig through your Outlook archives for a nearly three-year-old ticket so you can reply to it instead of just typing up a new drat email to helpdesk@company.com. What are these people doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Blurb3947 posted:

I generally just recommend a decent audio interface with XLR input, a cheap $15-20 mic, and a mic boom for a total of like $125. It sounds so much better than people using headsets and for not much more money while also being more durable.