Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Not looking like a good sign that ep. 7's title was written by somebody having a stroke.

Watch out for snakes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I just remembered the DISCO sequence of the lone guy manning the starbase and going through the same motions every day in the hope that the semi-mythical Federation would reestablish contact. It was one of those cool, actually evocative sequences that DISCO busted out every now and then to make you think maybe, just maybe this time they wouldn't waste the potential.

It was also better than anything in Picard save for perhaps some of the "haunted house borg cube" moments.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

The thing that would be worse is if the show was actually good in the final season instead of just being predictably awful again. Either way I'm still going to watch it like a dope.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Not looking like a good sign that ep. 7's title was written by somebody having a stroke.

Obligatory "Erigah, Gersebermps Ster Terk!" joke.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I just remembered the DISCO sequence of the lone guy manning the starbase and going through the same motions every day in the hope that the semi-mythical Federation would reestablish contact. It was one of those cool, actually evocative sequences that DISCO busted out every now and then to make you think maybe, just maybe this time they wouldn't waste the potential.

It was also better than anything in Picard save for perhaps some of the "haunted house borg cube" moments.

I think about that little side plot a lot. It owns.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I liked the whole plot in the last couple of episodes of them investigating and developing a means of communication with the 10c, I thought the whole figuring out how they talk and patching together a device that could translate human language into something they previously didn't even recognize as language was really cool.

Just dragged down a little by the very dumb human villain of the season and the very dumb boyfriend going along with everything this blatantly untrustworthy man was saying.

But I thought everything else once they actually reached the 10c planet was top notch.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Booker was just acting out of immediate grief and that's supposed to be mirrored by the scientist guy. And dudes doing the stupidest poo poo that is within their power out of grief is the most realistic plot point Star Trek ever had.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

“Darmok”
“Bem”
“Sarek”
“Melora”
“Shakaar”

Plenty of shows have done episodes named after characters/planets.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I would have left Melora off the list personally.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

G-III posted:

The thing that would be worse is if the show was actually good in the final season instead of just being predictably awful again. Either way I'm still going to watch it like a dope.
Oof, the Enterprise final season... except for the final episode, anyway.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
*heavy sigh*

https://twitter.com/trekmovie/status/1743354955216322742?s=46&t=YuqSROOCXrcRx1gn_5vV7Q

quote:

As Stewart continued talking about Star Trek movies he dropped a surprise; revealing there is a Star Trek movie script being written with him in mind:

“So it’s an ongoing procedure for me. I heard only last night about a script that is being written, but written specifically with the actor, Patrick [Stewart], to play in it. And I’ve been told to expect to receive it within a week or so. I’m so excited because it sounds like the kind of project where the experimentation that I want to do will be essential for this kind of material. It’s good at 83…”

TrekMovie has confirmed with Josh Horowitz that this interview was recorded in early November as Stewart was out promoting his new memoir, Making It So. This comment from Stewart is the first indication that there is a movie project in development that would include the character of Jean-Luc Picard. Officially Paramount has only confirmed they are developing another film in the Kelvin universe starring Chris Pine (aka “Star Trek 4”), but there have been reports and rumors about other scripts for different Star Trek movies in development at the studio as well.

It is possible that Stewart could be talking about a Star Trek streaming TV movie like the Section 31 film starring Michelle Yeoh which goes into production later this month. Last year it was reported that Paramount+ was looking for Section 31 to be the first of a series of streaming Star Trek movies for Paramount+. It’s possible a streaming movie could be a vehicle to carry on the story of Star Trek: Picard, potentially working as a backdoor pilot for the often-discussed (but not in development) Star Trek: Legacy series envisioned by Picard showrunner Terry Matalas. However, the series finale of Picard ended by putting the focus on the newly rechristened USS Enterprise-G under the command of Captain Seven, played by Jeri Ryan, with a crew of mostly new characters from season 3 of Picard. While Stewart could appear in “Legacy,” it does not appear Jean-Luc Picard would be the focal character.

I do not want this. I do not want Star Trek loving Legacy to be a thing and I do not want to see Patrick Stewart puttering about in his slippers for a 90 minute backdoor pilot for that piece of poo poo concept.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Oh, Section 31 is starting production this month? Oh well.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

maybe a picard movie will just pretend all the picard seasons didn’t happen

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Oh man, nobody’s ever written a script that didn’t get produced before.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The script is just the word “fart” stretched over 100 pages.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

*heavy sigh*

https://twitter.com/trekmovie/status/1743354955216322742?s=46&t=YuqSROOCXrcRx1gn_5vV7Q

I do not want this. I do not want Star Trek loving Legacy to be a thing and I do not want to see Patrick Stewart puttering about in his slippers for a 90 minute backdoor pilot for that piece of poo poo concept.

Good news, neither of those things are probably actually happening :v:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should just make it like Charlie's Angels except admiral Picard is Charlie and different star Trek Ladies are the angels.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
It's going to literally be the script from his episode of Extras.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Thranguy posted:

It's going to literally be the script from his episode of Extras.

I would watch the poo poo out of that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Lmao at them still insisting that they're making Kelvin-verse trek 4. poo poo is vaporware until I see a trailer, one with actual footage

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

Lmao at them still insisting that they're making Kelvin-verse trek 4. poo poo is vaporware until I see a trailer, one with actual footage

The window for making any more Kelvin Trek movies is rapidly shutting anyway because we're getting to the point where the cast is going to be the same age as the TOS crew were when they were in the "we're too old for this poo poo" phase of their movie series, and the main appeal of the Kelvin-verse was "look at how young and hip and active these children are compared to Grandpa Shatner in his Hoverround."

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

The window for making any more Kelvin Trek movies is kinda shutting because we're getting to the point where the cast is going to be the same age as the TOS crew were when they were in the "we're too old for this poo poo" phase of their movie series.

Hey they made four and a half movies in that phase.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pinterest Mom posted:

Hey they made four and a half movies in that phase.

Yeah, I added to the original post for clarification.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I don’t know why they even want to make another kelvin movie with how all the studios are just rebooting franchises every other entry. The kelvin movies were fine except for into darkness and maybe we can just leave it at that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

holefoods posted:

I don’t know why they even want to make another kelvin movie with how all the studios are just rebooting franchises every other entry. The kelvin movies were fine except for into darkness and maybe we can just leave it at that.

Also Anton Yelchin's death kind of took the wind out of the series' sails so the point where I also don't really want to see another Kelvin movie at this point. Beyond's ending is the perfect note to send that series off with.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

The window for making any more Kelvin Trek movies is rapidly shutting anyway because we're getting to the point where the cast is going to be the same age as the TOS crew were when they were in the "we're too old for this poo poo" phase of their movie series, and the main appeal of the Kelvin-verse was "look at how young and hip and active these children are compared to Grandpa Shatner in his Hoverround."

I mean in Beyond they were already pushing Kirk into the 'Am I too old for this now?' bit of his arc. Which was reasonable if they suspected that was the last film they were going to get to do.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Got a notification about the movie threat but they forgot to play the emergency evacuation alert noise.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Alchenar posted:

I mean in Beyond they were already pushing Kirk into the 'Am I too old for this now?' bit of his arc. Which was reasonable if they suspected that was the last film they were going to get to do.

Which is remarkably silly given Pine's age and appearance. *points to the d&d movie*

Like I don't need another Kelvin movie and the passing of Anton Yelchin puts a real damper on the prospect, but drat if I wouldn't watch Chris Pine, Zach Quinto, and Karl Urban do just about anything.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Just have Carl Urban show up in SNW as an alternative universe McCoy for an episode and let him chew the scenery with that crew.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Just have Karl Urban show up in SNW as McCoy

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Alchenar posted:

I don't remember it being "am I too old", I remember it being more like "I'm getting tired of this poo poo, did I just do this because I thought it was what was expected of me??"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I don't remember it being "am I too old", I remember it being more like "I'm getting tired of this poo poo, did I just do this because I thought it was what was expected of me??"

Nah, the trigger is Kirk being older than his dad was when George died.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The fundamental gimmick of Kirk is that he's the youngest captain in Star Fleet history. The older he gets the less interesting he is.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nine-gear crow posted:

This June it will have been 8 years since the release of Beyond

They just need to let it go.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I mean my hope for the next Trek movie is a year or so after SNW wraps up it's 5th or 6th season we get a big send off movie and it ends with Kirk taking the helm as the Enterprise's new captain.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Facebook Aunt posted:

The fundamental gimmick of Kirk is that he's the youngest captain in Star Fleet history. The older he gets the less interesting he is.

Eh, Wrath of Khan really dealt with the whole "Who am I if I'm not the youngest and the best any more?" really well. It was a good Old Man Kirk movie. And then the rest of the series was him and everyone else trying to pretend they weren't in their 50s and 60s.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I feel like Urban's McCoy is so thoroughly Deforest Kelly that bringing him onboard as Prime McCoy would almost be a disservice to the actors of the other TOS characters. It'd be like plucking Shat off the set of Balance of Terror and hurling him 55 years into the future to guest in the do-over episode instead of casting Paul Wesley.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SNW has done pretty good work with recasting, between Paul Wesley as Kirk and the new guy who showed up as young Scotty in the S2 finale

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

SNW has done pretty good work with recasting, between Paul Wesley as Kirk and the new guy who showed up as young Scotty in the S2 finale

Yeah SNW Scotty is the perfect mix of James Doohan and Simon Pegg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Then they gently caress it by having the Emerald Chain know exactly who the Federation is and being like "We want your name, because it's important"

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah SNW Scotty is the perfect mix of James Doohan and Simon Pegg.

And he's actually Scottish! It's a miracle