Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Knife of the Undermountain King from Creche + Justiciar's Scimitar from Gauntlet will hard carry you all the way to Orin. It's super easy to obscure yourself with the cloak sold from the Tiefling kid at Last Light that creates a smoke cloud every time you disengage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

The turn-based mode they eventually patched into Pillars 2 is pretty good, but the game isn't balanced for it at all and it makes combat take forever. I think there are mods that address this though.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Vargatron posted:

I'm approaching 35 hours in this game, but the combat is wearing me down to the point to where I want to quit. I'm getting real tired of a) getting ambushed and having party members knocked out before their turns can even come up, b) enemies who explode on death, and c) getting punted into a chasm to my death. I'm basically quicksaving every 5 minutes because I don't want to lose an hour of progress when something inevitably goes wrong. It's not even a matter of the game being "too hard", it's just that I'm not having fun playing around what the game seems to expect you to do.

lol at thinking every 5 minutes is frequent quick saving, I compulsively save after every round of combat just in case I accidentally do something stupid.

If you get annoyed by all your characters losing initiative, take the “Alert” feat, it is overpowered in this game because it gives +5 to initiative which is rolled on a d4 instead of a d20 in BG3. Taking that feat is equivalent to giving the character “always goes first in combat”.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I don't often get Alert but it's a nice Level 12 feat for Lae'zel since she's already got everything else going for her.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

exquisite tea posted:

I don't often get Alert but it's a nice Level 12 feat for Lae'zel since she's already got everything else going for her.

I have Alert on Laezel as a straight level 12 battlemaster, and since she is so strong, she can jump nearly anywhere without even using her gith abilities, she can just outright take out 2-3 enemies at the beginning with how many attacks she gets. I also have the gloves that give her advantage on maneuvers and the risky ring, so she can usually even prone/disarm/frighten whoever she wants. One time for fun, I just hard her going around disarming as many opponents as she can in one round. How badass is it for the enemy, when you haven't even moved yet, when this crazy gith jumps in the middle of you and disarms 6 of you in one round lol.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
sassed vlaakith

woops

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Vargatron posted:

5 scrolls of Fireball resolve any moral quandries.

Hunger of hadar followed up by pretty much anything is always a pretty good option as well. I like hunger of hadar plus black hole as a bonus action (which you can recast every turn for free lmao)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hulk Krogan posted:

The turn-based mode they eventually patched into Pillars 2 is pretty good, but the game isn't balanced for it at all and it makes combat take forever. I think there are mods that address this though.

The mod that halves everyone's hp is a great fix, combat is over quicker, plus it makes really initiative matter!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Eau de MacGowan posted:

sassed vlaakith

woops

dommy mommy doesn't appreciate your backtalk

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Pellisworth posted:

dommy mommy doesn't appreciate your backtalk

i didnt know she was actually a god, i thought she was a queen on a holocall with massive pretensions!!!

e: spoilered

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Knife of the Undermountain King from Creche + Justiciar's Scimitar from Gauntlet will hard carry you all the way to Orin.

This plus the Risky Ring is what I had on Astarion last run. He hardly ever even stabbed anybody with them, they were mainly for empowering the rain of crossbow bolts. (sword bard / thief)

This time by the time I clear the creche he'll probably be using the Knife and the Club of Giant Strength along with the Titanstring Bow to maximize damage per hit. (gloomstalker / assassin). I figure that should work pretty well up into act 3.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i didnt know she was actually a god, i thought she was a queen on a holocall with massive pretensions!!!

e: spoilered

She's not, at least not yet

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It seems pretty well agreed that she was using Wish, which makes the whole Karlach Oh no we can't fix the heart thing kind of a plot hole when there's multiple wizards capable of casting Wish, including one that's a friend of Gale's, and everyone definitely finished the game with over 100,000 gold in the camp chest that's not just me being a hoarder.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

She is, however, a very high level lich so Wish is definitely something she'd have in her repertoire.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

More like Erase Time

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

No, "Erase Time" is what the BG3 process should have been called.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

unattended spaghetti posted:

Way off topic, but what rogue dual wield setups do you guys like? Rocking the knife of the undermountain king and just trying to find a good pairing for it. Thief subclass FYI. Risky ring for sneak attacks every turn. Not usually optimal but three attacks regularly every turn if you wanna stay in close is not bad at all.

This is basically what I did. I took thief 6/champion 6 for more crit chance and a second attack, giving me two attacks and two offhand attacks. I took two weapon fighting/dual wielder for the AC and ability to use any weapons, phalar aluve is a great one to have handy for shriek on all those attacks.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It seems pretty well agreed that she was using Wish, which makes the whole Karlach Oh no we can't fix the heart thing kind of a plot hole when there's multiple wizards capable of casting Wish, including one that's a friend of Gale's, and everyone definitely finished the game with over 100,000 gold in the camp chest that's not just me being a hoarder.

If you let Gale die then you literally get an item that should have been able to solve the problem, a scroll of true resurrection

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

ChronoReverse posted:

If you let Gale die then you literally get an item that should have been able to solve the problem, a scroll of true resurrection

On the other hand:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeJmd5O14xo

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Have they ever said why they decided initiative needs to be rolled on a d4? At least it isn't as stupid as D:OS2's initiative "system".

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Janissary Hop posted:

Have they ever said why they decided initiative needs to be rolled on a d4? At least it isn't as stupid as D:OS2's initiative "system".

It's one of the few things I'd consider using mods to fix, because the implementation is very stupid and I honestly don't like how often it clumps up my party in a group for the turn.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Here's something I've never figured out. When you go down into Ethel's and there is poisons everywhere how can you avoid it? I just run through it all and accept taking a tiny amount of damage (or none if you roll saves), even on tactician. The biggest challenge is pressing g and making everyone run down individually because they stop and look at the gas if you don't.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

JBP posted:

Here's something I've never figured out. When you go down into Ethel's and there is poisons everywhere how can you avoid it? I just run through it all and accept taking a tiny amount of damage (or none if you roll saves), even on tactician. The biggest challenge is pressing g and making everyone run down individually because they stop and look at the gas if you don't.

survival checks will reveal vent traps that you can put chests on top of to block the poison, although the far easier method is to feather fall + enhance leap your entire party and then just yeet yourself to the bottom to bypass it entirely

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

JBP posted:

Use Feather Fall and jump past it, or succeed on checks to see the vent traps and throw things onto them to block the gas

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Uhhh, why is SH's Invoke Duplicity also showing as a buff on enemies? Are they really going to get attack roll advantage for my spell lol

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

Janissary Hop posted:

Professor Beetus posted:

It's one of the few things I'd consider using mods to fix, because the implementation is very stupid and I honestly don't like how often it clumps up my party in a group for the turn.

This is definitely the reason due to how they allow your party to take turns interchangeably if they're next to each other in the initiative order. It means action and order mistakes are more easily mitigated, and less variance in potential initiative rolls means it's more likely for the party to go all at once. The only problem is that it's likely this was implemented without consideration of the Alert feat or +init items, because with some optimization your team will always go first and can even take advantage of interturn combinations you couldn't otherwise.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Trying the radiant gear for pretty much the first time on hm and man is Shadowheart a disgusting beast with that. I have her as a Tempest Cleric using all of it and dual wielding Blood of Lathander + Phalar Aluve. She pretty much wades into combat with spirit guardians giving everyone tons of stacks of radiant orb and then if I need extra dps she pops shriek with Phalar Aluve and my Wizard bombards enemies with magic missiles.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I beat the encounter with Yurgir in one attempt by sneaking around the back and applying Glyph of Warding liberally. Probably the first time since I started playing that I felt smart and not frustrated in a large scale encounter.

I think I just did some zones in the wrong order starting out because now I'm cruising along and don't feel nearly as annoyed as I was in the first part of the game.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Vargatron posted:

I beat the encounter with Yurgir in one attempt by sneaking around the back and applying Glyph of Warding liberally. Probably the first time since I started playing that I felt smart and not frustrated in a large scale encounter.

I think I just did some zones in the wrong order starting out because now I'm cruising along and don't feel nearly as annoyed as I was in the first part of the game.

The first part of the game is by far the hardest. Once you hit level 5+ you start to have a lot of powerful tools to help you win in combat. You also have enough hp to not get one turned which is also huge.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Qubee posted:

Uhhh, why is SH's Invoke Duplicity also showing as a buff on enemies? Are they really going to get attack roll advantage for my spell lol

I think they don’t get the buff, just a “they are in range of the dummy” debuff

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
hey you shouldn't call her that

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
So…. Is it normal for the entire region around the nautilus be pretty much devoid of life following the murderhobos passing? I just left for the mountain pass and boy the silence is deafening. The only trader still available to pawn poo poo to is the dorf at the druids grove…

Also I’d it possible to go back for the famed phalar olive after already heading to the mountain pass, or should I complete all quests at MP before taking the trip back?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Morrow posted:

Don't you get a pop-up warning you that there will be issues if you bring Halsin (or any non-Tadpoled companion, but he's the only one you can have at that point) to Moonrise?

I told him to stick close to me and I'd see him right! But no, he got stuck on geometry and I had to fight everyone one at a time.

Oh well, at least the Harpers should mostly live.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Valtonen posted:

So…. Is it normal for the entire region around the nautilus be pretty much devoid of life following the murderhobos passing? I just left for the mountain pass and boy the silence is deafening. The only trader still available to pawn poo poo to is the dorf at the druids grove…

Also I’d it possible to go back for the famed phalar olive after already heading to the mountain pass, or should I complete all quests at MP before taking the trip back?

You can go back to act 1 until the point of no return in late act 2. Only the grove raid and a few other things advance but it sounds like you did all that.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
poo poo, I found out about an amazing Warlock robe and it's a quest reward for freeing the Tieflings from Moonrise. Well that's where I am so I go do that, only I get...nothing. Seems I need to formally be given the quest, which isn't possible because I couldn't kill Marcus fast enough and everyone in Last Light died.

I feel like I should have better gear for this stage, is there anything that can help with that for before the endgame? I generally get the impression I'm finding it tougher than I should. Or possibly I should take more long rests?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Valtonen posted:

Yeah once you've cleared everything out, the tieflings leave on their way to Baldur's gate, which means Dammon is no longer in the grove. The only people left alive will be the druids. You can still go back to the under dark though and there should be a couple traders left there.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

poo poo, I found out about an amazing Warlock robe and it's a quest reward for freeing the Tieflings from Moonrise. Well that's where I am so I go do that, only I get...nothing. Seems I need to formally be given the quest, which isn't possible because I couldn't kill Marcus fast enough and everyone in Last Light died.

I feel like I should have better gear for this stage, is there anything that can help with that for before the endgame? I generally get the impression I'm finding it tougher than I should. Or possibly I should take more long rests?

long rest as much as you want

Early Act 2 you should start getting a lot of cool gear. Check out the vendors in Moonrise Towers.

It's kind of a bummer everyone in Last Light died there are a couple good vendors there too.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Thundarr posted:

Use Feather Fall and jump past it, or succeed on checks to see the vent traps and throw things onto them to block the gas

I'll just pay 10hp to run through lol

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

unattended spaghetti posted:

Way off topic, but what rogue dual wield setups do you guys like? Rocking the knife of the undermountain king and just trying to find a good pairing for it. Thief subclass FYI. Risky ring for sneak attacks every turn. Not usually optimal but three attacks regularly every turn if you wanna stay in close is not bad at all.

Early on it’s under mountain king and the sword of life stealing. Later on you’d use Orion’s weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

BizarroAzrael posted:

You have lost access to some good gear/traders, but you should still be able to get to the ones in Moonrise and get stuff there. If you did not go through the Mountain Pass you can go back to it from the Shadowlands, as there is a good trader in the creche and also gear there if you murder everyone.

You shouldn't need to worry about the endgame, there are a ton of vendors and rewards once you reach Rivington and Baldur's Gate, if you're undergeared you should be able to equip up before you tackle the tough setpiece battles at the finale.