Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yay? Just surprised me, because I thought adding it for free would be a no-brainer to enhance the “magical experience”.

I can understand there may be potential headaches caused by the fact that the service is account-driven and similar things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I'm going to Disney World in 30 days and my son will be making a lightsaber at 6:30 and then at 9:30 we will watch Fantasmic (We're doing the dining package). Can we bring the lightsaber in with us? Should I bring it back to the hotel before then? We're staying at AoA so it shouldn't be too hard to run over and drop it off.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
You can bring it with you. They give you a bag of sorts to store it and carry it with you.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Nanigans posted:

You can bring it with you. They give you a bag of sorts to store it and carry it with you.
Yeah, they're a very common sight. The bag is nice and padded too so the blade won't get broken.

Also, you're allowed to have the lightsaber out while you're taking pictures, and you're going to be doing it after dark, so be sure to get pictures of your son holding a lit lightsaber in front of the Millenium Falcon and the X-Wing outside RoR.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Amazes me that SWGE has been open all these years and this is still an issue. It feels like a very "opening year jitters" problem where management is supposed to step in and either force retail to change the product or force security to be more leniant.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Craptacular! posted:

Amazes me that SWGE has been open all these years and this is still an issue. It feels like a very "opening year jitters" problem where management is supposed to step in and either force retail to change the product or force security to be more leniant.
What do you want them to do about it? The blade's a 2 1/2 foot fiberglass tube, the thing is long and fragile. It's gotta be protected and letting customers run around with it attached and hit things with it is just begging for breakages and injuries.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

Lenient about what? You’re allowed to bring it everywhere and have it out if you want.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Yeah wtf it’s not a problem at all

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Oh, okay. It just seems like the questions about them keep cropping up even though the land has been open for pushing five years now.

CapnAndy posted:

What do you want them to do about it? The blade's a 2 1/2 foot fiberglass tube, the thing is long and fragile. It's gotta be protected and letting customers run around with it attached and hit things with it is just begging for breakages and injuries.

They did this because they wanted something equivalent to the Harry Potter wand thing, but the execution (whether it's the design of the thing or what) leaves something to be desired if they're handing people something they don't want people having in the parks. Although how much of this is "of the times" and attorney based I have no idea. Once upon a time play-fighting was common at Disneyland, but the weapons were much cheaper and the fighters very different. By contrast the Star Wars stuff is set up and priced for adult collectors.

Then again, there used to be a third party store selling actual friggin' swords that were a similar issue in DL's Fantasyland when I was a kid, too.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 6, 2024

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can bring lightsabers anywhere in DHS. The few rides that can’t accommodate them onboard will hold them for you during the ride.

It can get iffier if you park hop I guess. Like no idea how you would store one at Tron.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

couldcareless posted:

Some of the recently updated resorts have secure casting setup that allows you to cast your D+ (or anything else for that matter) from your phone.

Yeah, I stayed at Pop Century two weeks ago and not only did they let me cast Disney+ from my iPad to the TV, from what I saw they had a limited selection of the Disney+ catalog to give you a taste of it.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

CapnAndy posted:

Also, you're allowed to have the lightsaber out while you're taking pictures, and you're going to be doing it after dark, so be sure to get pictures of your son holding a lit lightsaber in front of the Millenium Falcon and the X-Wing outside RoR.

Taking pictures around Galaxy’s Edge rules. I don’t think I can top these again if I tried.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

barclayed posted:

Taking pictures around Galaxy’s Edge rules. I don’t think I can top these again if I tried.

(pics I snipped because I don't want the page to be enormous)

it is an extremely cool place to get pictures.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

some of my favs from a while back. been meaning to reupload them since flickr seemingly deleted a bunch of stuff

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 6, 2024

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I was reminded about the Haunted Mansion lounge coming to the Disney Treasure and I have zero desire to go on a cruise ship because frankly, there is no place more terrifying than the ocean, but that lounge may actually get me on a cruise ship. I'm aware this makes me an insane person and no I will not be taking advice or questions at this time.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I wish I’d taken pictures during the AP preview when I built my saber. Everyone was still kind of unsure what you were allowed to do and they didn’t have the dedicated photographers stationed by the props :smith:

I’ve never seen anyone “not wanting” guests to have their lightsabers out at the parks (other than the CMs trying to keep the whole resistance base thing a secret).

I guess you’re wondering about swordfights spontaneously breaking out? The $300 price tag tends to discourage that.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Some of my pictures:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

I assure you, I am actually smiling that much.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I don't have a photo of my favorite SWGE memory and I think I've already told this story in this thread before but I don't fuckin' care, it's my favorite and I'll tell it again.

I had one of those stuffed Porgs you attach to your shoulder with a magnetic base on my shoulder and I was just hanging out, checking my phone, when all of a sudden some rear end in a top hat snatches the Porg right off of my shirt. I look up ready to ask what the gently caress they think they're doing, and it is Chewbacca, Chewie has stolen my Porg. And he's now clutching the Porg and whining while Rey starts yelling at him to give it back, because he wants to eat it, so Rey asks me what the Porg's name is because he won't eat them if they have names. I dunno if this is what they do to catch out grownups or what, but if so, joke's on them, because I named that fukken Porg the minute I bought it. So Chewbacca did not get to eat Paul the Porg that day.

Really should've asked them for a picture, but I was just too overwhelmed at the completely unexpected close interaction.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Does someone want to take a minute to try and sell me (rather, my wife) on what makes Disney cruises special and worth going on over any other cruise line? I assume that you can’t ride Tron or Space Mountain on any ship regardless of size/age.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Thanks for the help everyone, I'm spending 10 days there with 7 park days, should be wild.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Grundulum posted:

Does someone want to take a minute to try and sell me (rather, my wife) on what makes Disney cruises special and worth going on over any other cruise line? I assume that you can’t ride Tron or Space Mountain on any ship regardless of size/age.

How much do you like Disney? Do you enjoy meeting characters? Do you want to eat in Tiana’s kitchen? Do you want to see fireworks on a ship and some great shows?

If yes, then Disney is worth visiting once. If you don’t care at all about that, then save your money and upgrade a Carnival cruise or something similar.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Grundulum posted:

They're relaxing. I dunno what to say except that. There's no gambling and less drunkenness if that appeals to you.

Otherwise, go pick up a Norwegian cruise instead.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Very relaxing and they have a whole floor of kid jail that's so fun kids want to be in it rather than running around and screaming in every other area

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Fun cheering on the half today - we were at dinner last night when the course change came out. Glad it ended up being cancelled - the downpour that hit was not a delightful one, and I’m glad I was inside for it.

Pacing my carb loading and trying to make sure I’m in bed by 7p - shouldn’t be too hard since I’ve been up since 3a.

Thanks for the support - no matter what happens, I’m proud of the fact that I registered and went for it. Training wasn’t the greatest, but I did get one half marathon in 10 weeks ago as a part of the prep. I used to be very meh on the concept of runDisney, but they put out a great product.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

couldcareless posted:

I mean, this isn't far off from what a lot of tiki bars do. Check out Mothership next time you're in San Diego if you want some crazy immersive bar theming. Also Strong Water in Anaheim (just a few minutes from DLR!) and Tiki Tatsuya in Austin are both well themed great spots as well.
Sadly all of these are in the USA and none of them are Star Wars themed. Doesn't really change the maths for me in London.

Akileese posted:

I was reminded about the Haunted Mansion lounge coming to the Disney Treasure and I have zero desire to go on a cruise ship because frankly, there is no place more terrifying than the ocean, but that lounge may actually get me on a cruise ship. I'm aware this makes me an insane person and no I will not be taking advice or questions at this time.
I don't hate boats but I never really cared about cruising until they announced the bar on the Wish.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Anya posted:

Fun cheering on the half today - we were at dinner last night when the course change came out. Glad it ended up being cancelled - the downpour that hit was not a delightful one, and I’m glad I was inside for it.
What did they cancel? I see the half was shortened to 7 miles which is pretty sucky since that’s basically just the 10K.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Braks and I are literally at Disneyland in line now for the Christmas Haunted Mansion. I haven’t been here since 1996, and so far we’re 2 for 2 for rides that feel completely different than Florida (Pirates, Big Thunder). It’s almost like rediscovering it all over again.

I do think it’s funny. We’re here for three days, and everything is still Christmas themed. On Monday it won’t be so I get to see DL with Christmas and without all in the same trip. Neat.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Anya posted:

Pacing my carb loading and trying to make sure I’m in bed by 7p - shouldn’t be too hard since I’ve been up since 3a.

Thanks for the support - no matter what happens, I’m proud of the fact that I registered and went for it. Training wasn’t the greatest, but I did get one half marathon in 10 weeks ago as a part of the prep. I used to be very meh on the concept of runDisney, but they put out a great product.

Yeah! I'm running my third Springtime Surprise this year. My wife and MIL surprised me by wanting to run last year, so they did the 10K and the 5K respectively and then announced they wanted to run it again on the bus ride back to the hotel. It's just a fun atmosphere and no pressure to try to set any PRs.

I'm glad there's another half half to commiserate with haha. I ran the 2015 Wine and Dine, the last time they ran it at night and they almost cancelled it when we were in the corrals. It ended up being about the same length.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

Braks and I are literally at Disneyland in line now for the Christmas Haunted Mansion. I haven’t been here since 1996, and so far we’re 2 for 2 for rides that feel completely different than Florida (Pirates, Big Thunder). It’s almost like rediscovering it all over again.

I do think it’s funny. We’re here for three days, and everything is still Christmas themed. On Monday it won’t be so I get to see DL with Christmas and without all in the same trip. Neat.

A lot of the shared stuff in DLR/MK is just different enough. I can't recall if Jungle Cruise is (I feel like it's laid out a little different but I could be wrong). Galaxy's Edge is 1:1, which is kind of disappointing, but that's just modern Disney.

Enjoy Haunted Mansion Holiday though, it's a blast. I understand why regulars are worn out by it, but as someone who had never been to DL, I really enjoyed it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Akileese posted:

A lot of the shared stuff in DLR/MK is just different enough. I can't recall if Jungle Cruise is (I feel like it's laid out a little different but I could be wrong). Galaxy's Edge is 1:1, which is kind of disappointing, but that's just modern Disney.

Enjoy Haunted Mansion Holiday though, it's a blast. I understand why regulars are worn out by it, but as someone who had never been to DL, I really enjoyed it.

Haunted Mansion Holiday was really enjoyable. I thought it was going to be a quick reskin but nope.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Akileese posted:

DLR doesn’t have the cave.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Akileese posted:

They were going to do the same for Paris with Galaxy's Edge before it got scrapped in favour of Frozen, and TBH while I get the idea of having everything be identical I think they missed a trick by not having it be a different town on Batuu or something. Even the orientation means that east and west are reversed, which is kind of silly.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
One thing that’s different is having the characters meander around and you can take photos in a second. Already saw Ariel, Eeyore and Rabbit and it took about 2 minutes combined to grab a quick photo with them.

Also, some of these designers were tripping balls, man. Winnie the Pooh, Mr Toad, Pinocchio…some of these rides were definitely conceived while under the influence of something.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Silly Burrito posted:

One thing that’s different is having the characters meander around and you can take photos in a second. Already saw Ariel, Eeyore and Rabbit and it took about 2 minutes combined to grab a quick photo with them.

Also, some of these designers were tripping balls, man. Winnie the Pooh, Mr Toad, Pinocchio…some of these rides were definitely conceived while under the influence of something.

Don't forget to hit up the Sleeping Beauty castle walk through. It's seriously awesome.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Jose Oquendo posted:

Don't forget to hit up the Sleeping Beauty castle walk through. It's seriously awesome.

Good call, we did that already. It was very cool.

Next after the Matterhorn is probably Space Mountain. Can’t wait to ride the DL version again but I remember loving it all those years ago.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I have been :actually: informed by Braks that the correct abbreviation for Disneyland is DLR and not DL. I feel like a big Dopey.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Silly Burrito posted:

I have been :actually: informed by Braks that the correct abbreviation for Disneyland is DLR and not DL. I feel like a big Dopey.

Well, get it right.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Is the the Brakland definition that makes people angry about Hades vs Stone Soup for no good reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Braksgirl posted:

Well, get it right.