Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Sounds to me like it's a bad card and you just need to go buy a new one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah that reads to me like it just can't read the onionloader off it at all, for whatever reason

It's not the wrong parition table type (should be MBR not GPT), right?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Possible false alarm, I'm a loving idiot who forgot the MM+ needs a FAT32 card and I just let Windows format it as exFAT.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Commander Keene posted:

I'm trying to upgrade the microSD I'm using for my Miyoo Mini Plus from 32GB to a freebie 128GB one I got from MicroCenter, but I can't get OnionOS to transfer over, no matter what I do the MM+ boots into the default OS. I've even tried factory resetting the device with no microSD card inserted and doing the OnionOS install process all over again, but it won't actually do anything.

Did you try reformatting the card with the right block size or whatever? The default is sometimes off and it can make things wonky sometimes. My brain hurts but theres a point in there.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

otter posted:

Did you try reformatting the card with the right block size or whatever? The default is sometimes off and it can make things wonky sometimes. My brain hurts but theres a point in there.
I'm formatting it as FAT32 now, I forgot the MM+ needs that and initially had it as exFAT. Hopefully that works.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Possible false alarm, I'm a loving idiot who forgot the MM+ needs a FAT32 card and I just let Windows format it as exFAT.

ah, yuuup

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Commander Keene posted:

I'm formatting it as FAT32 now, I forgot the MM+ needs that and initially had it as exFAT. Hopefully that works.

I was sooorrrrta riiiiiight. Hell yeah.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
I'm selling my Super NT and my Odin Pro 1 in SA-Mart if anyone's interested. Great condition on both, no issues.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4050580

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

IGG pre-launch page is up, no price yet but it's probably going to be very expensive. 7" 120hz screen feels like overkill for the DS form factor. honestly it looks kinda ugly to me

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

would be neat if the fancy panel has VRR to play PAL games smoothly but it probably doesn't

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Does Citra support dual display? Or this is a x86 machine, I can't tell anymore.

Also what's up with those sticks?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

They're both Ryzen 7840u running Win11, yeah

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

That looks really ugly and uncomfortable which isn't what I would expect from aya

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

stephenthinkpad posted:

Does Citra support dual display? Or this is a x86 machine, I can't tell anymore.

Also what's up with those sticks?

That's an incredibly lovely render that makes the depths look hosed. The sticks/buttons are recessed with open area around them, it's a lot clearer from pretty much any other image.

Assuming you really want a dual screen device, it looks serviceable.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The 7th Guest posted:

IGG pre-launch page is up, no price yet but it's probably going to be very expensive. 7" 120hz screen feels like overkill for the DS form factor. honestly it looks kinda ugly to me

incel cyberdeck

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Review copies of the Retroid Pocket 4 are hitting people today, so expect some videos shortly

Looking like Wii's, expectedly, no issue on it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Review copies of the Retroid Pocket 4 are hitting people today, so expect some videos shortly

Looking like Wii's, expectedly, no issue on it.

I decided to hold off and now I kind of wish I had ordered it. Is that the pro or the normal one?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Pretty sure all the guys getting it early are going to be getting the Pro

mystes
May 31, 2006

I feel like for 25% more you might as well get the pro but then again it pushes it kind of close to steam deck territory, god I'm so loving indecisive

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

This is the generalised speculation of where both models are going to land

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Wait 3 more months somebody may make a similar handheld with a 1080p 5.5" screen.

I think RP4P is fast enough to run STOC and all PS2 games smoothly but not for RP4.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Where would a Steam Deck land on that?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

canyonero posted:

Where would a Steam Deck land on that?

It's very big so it won't fit on the chart, but it's five steps to the right outside the frame.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I mean when you start approaching the 300 price line you absolutely might as well Deck it up instead

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Pro 4 was $350 AUD, Steam Decks here start at $850 but they're also a grey import so you're hosed on warranty and probably also paying Ruslan Kogan lol

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

then again do these chinese handhelds actually have much of a warranty in practice, especially if you buy direct from aliexpress

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Retroid themselves were very helpful and just sent me parts free of charge at least

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

good to know

would be nice to have a cheat sheet for which companies make an effort and which ones will probably just ghost you

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I have a Steam Deck, it’s great but a bit unwieldy and I often don’t travel with it. The RP4 Pro seems more portable but who knows, maybe I won’t want to bring it on a quick roadtrip or whatever.

I don’t really play many roms on my steam deck, so the RP4P will fill that niche.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

repiv posted:

then again do these chinese handhelds actually have much of a warranty in practice, especially if you buy direct from aliexpress

Retroid was pretty solid to deal with even though they sent me the wrong part before going on Chinese new year’s break

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah, price points and form factors are a thing for a lot of people.

Looks to be a livestream in about 2 hours
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBmVZA_Zi9Q

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I barely consider the Steam Deck a portable device. It’ll fill up half the main compartment of a backpack instead of slipping into a gear pocket.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

repiv posted:

I ordered third party from Ali Express but made sure to choose a seller with free returns. I was hoping not to put the policy to the test, but I got a faulty 2S. Had no problems with the return process, though. Got my money back in about a week.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 6, 2024

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I wrote to Retroid about the problem (a bad stick) making it clear I didn’t buy it from their store, and they initially wanted to help, but then ghosted me.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Steam Deck is basically 80% a home console and 20% a portable handheld. It's a fine console or the best home console if it supports host streaming. But it doesn't. I think I will eventually get rid off both my SD and my Xbox and just get a PC fast enough to play steam games and local streaming and emulate Yuzu.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jan 6, 2024

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The switch might be the wideness limit for me. Any wider and I’d encroach on the other passengers on the plane I’d think

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

hatty posted:

The switch might be the wideness limit for me. Any wider and I’d encroach on the other passengers on the plane I’d think

Just buy a second seat. :rolleyes:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Just buy a second seat. :rolleyes:

but how could I afford the next handheld that'll def do the all the things I ever wanted

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

The Anbernic Arc-D feels really damned good in the hand. Good size, shape, weight. Amazing for playing genesis games or fighting games. The Linux OS kinda sucks, hopefully there's a better option soon, but Android is at least a good fallback with the effort to set it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I watched that rp4p live stream, not much surprise here. All PS2 games work, you just choose 2x 3x 4x resolution depends on games. Switch games barely work. Tried red dead, way too slow; Hades, kinda playable; Metroid Dread, hover above 30fps but if you change the resolution to 0.75x it should be playable.

One youtuber said it only support ouput to TV at 1080p/60, that's kind of unfortunate. You have slightly faster horse power than Odin 1 and can render PS2 games at higher resolution but you can't put it on a 4K TV.

I am undecided on the stick position, is it comfortable to play driving games and 3D action games on the 3+?