Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Lonjon posted:

Survivors could instantly turn a 4K match into an everyone escapes match by throwing a snowball at my Snowman Dredge.

I hope I made someone's holiday by locker scaring the poo poo out of them with Frosty the Dredge :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

rydiafan posted:

I miss snowballs. :(

I miss Nowhere to Hide. :(

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I miss my mom

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I miss video games

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Original chapter up next aka get up to 16k shards and stop playing till march

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

OxMan posted:

Original chapter up next aka get up to 16k shards and stop playing till march

I liked the story of the Singularity and the survivor that may or may not be a clone of a long dead dude, but have we had any survivor that are from the golden age of slashers aka the 80s?

I know we have the licenses but no survivors from that era.. I'm racking my brain but I can't think of any from that time.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Do the Stranger Things kids count?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Legion kids use cassette tapes which could date them to the 80s. Jeff was working at a video store when he drew their mural, something that dates him to a specific range of years, although it seems like he got trapped in the fog later in life as he eventually moved on and didn’t return to Ormond until he was an adult and got fogged then.

So that’s something?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Legion are early to mid 90's I believe

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Legion kids are still killers, Stranger Things kids don't count I don't think cause they're imagining they're from the 80s. I'd take someone even original from the 80s. Just weird to me that all the licenses from the 80s themselves have no actual survivor representation.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Diabetic posted:

Just weird to me that all the licenses from the 80s themselves have no actual survivor representation.

Laurie Strode? Ellen Ripley? Ash, technically?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

curiousTerminal posted:

Ripley and Laurie are technically 70’s

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Laurie is 70's. 1978 to be exact, if we're going by the original premiere

E:beat

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

curiousTerminal posted:

Laurie, Ripley are the 70s version. Ash oddly enough is an example of the opposite, a survivor with no killer.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Relyssa, could you adjust this part in the OP?

Relyssa posted:

I played this game some years back. How has it changed?

A lot of things are different now. Stranger Things was removed because Netflix is miserly with its IPs. Matchmaking is no longer based on rank. Old Keys are dead, Hatch only spawns when 1 person is left. There's built-in Borrowed Time when unhooking now. Killers have received buffs across the board. Many killers have gotten reworks, buffs, or nerfs, but Trapper still sucks. Dead Hard has been significantly nerfed and Decisive Strike, doubly so, but there are arguably worse evils. Nurse and Blight are still the top killers. If you played early early (2016-2019), the game has received a load of bugfixes, rebalances, and graphical improvements. But if you're curious about specifics, post and tell us when you last played!

Maybe just replace it with "Stranger Things was removed because Netflix is miserly with its IPs (and recently added back in because they realized they were missing out on free money)."

We may also want to remove "but there are arguably worse evils" now that Made For This is finally dead, lol.

How do people feel about Skull Merchant now? We have a note in the OP about suggesting you not play her because she's broken and loathed, but she did receive that balance-over patch. I haven't really played against her that much to know how effective she is at 3-gens now, if any of the hate is justified or just a holdover similar to how people hated Freddy for years after Forever Freddy was patched out.

We'll need to update the section on microtransactions once the DLC packs come out but best to leave that for when they actually do.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tiny Myers posted:

Relyssa, could you adjust this part in the OP?

Maybe just replace it with "Stranger Things was removed because Netflix is miserly with its IPs (and recently added back in because they realized they were missing out on free money)."

We may also want to remove "but there are arguably worse evils" now that Made For This is finally dead, lol.

How do people feel about Skull Merchant now? We have a note in the OP about suggesting you not play her because she's broken and loathed, but she did receive that balance-over patch. I haven't really played against her that much to know how effective she is at 3-gens now, if any of the hate is justified or just a holdover similar to how people hated Freddy for years after Forever Freddy was patched out.

We'll need to update the section on microtransactions once the DLC packs come out but best to leave that for when they actually do.

Done.

A lot of people really still hate playing against her. I don't really mind it anymore but the sentiment around how loathed she is still very much exists. She's about as strong as any other killer at 3-genning now, but she can't hold the game hostage forever with the drones alone. As long as you're crouched or standing still (working on a gen counts) you're immune to scans, so if you're on a gen the drone won't do poo poo to you.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

If Reddit is to be believed the pass SM got didn't matter and the collective PTSD from her initial iteration makes people d/c or never play as her.

I wasn't around for any of that though so :shrug:.

I've played against her once, and knowing you can crouch through her poo poo/ destroying her orbs alerts her made me the last survivor standing. My teammates didn't know that unfortunately

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

TheWorldsaStage posted:

If Reddit is to be believed the pass SM got didn't matter and the collective PTSD from her initial iteration makes people d/c or never play as her.

The PTSD is very strong on the official forums, too. A lot of folks seem like they will never forgive the original iteration and will forever hold that grudge against her.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I don't blame people for being touchy about her - I have the instinctive cringe response too when I hear her theme, and everyone has their loathed killers (cough cough Wraith). I can't help but feel there was some misogyny in the initial response, though, and I wonder how much of the continued hatred is misogynist in nature.

Like, not saying everyone who hates/hated her is misogynist (like I said, I too struggle not to assume the worst when I hear her coming, and everyone can agree her original power sucked so loving hard), just that I saw a lot of misogynist hate when she came out, and I wonder if the reaction would've been *as* negative/continued to be so negative to this day if she had been a badass dude or something. I found Knight similarly frustrating and oppressive and one-note to go against but people don't seem to ever talk about him anymore - obviously he wasn't as oppressive gameplay-wise, but I feel like you can draw a clear line from Knight's release (which directly preceded her) to Skerchant as far as similarly underbaked, gen-defense-heavy design theory.

It sucks because I really did have the highest hopes for an evil girlboss killer. So many of the female killers in DBD are "redeemable" in some way - tragic and sympathetic backstories, a lot of them didn't/wouldn't kill anyone before being drafted by the Entity, etc. And like, that's cool, but I wanted some variety. I wanted to see a girl killer who's a real bastard. Just a piece of poo poo who sucks. Female Clown equivalent, character who just truly loves that murder poo poo. As a dyke, her being pretty and wearing stupid and wonderfully extra poo poo like a gas mask bedazzled with rhinestones was a real plus for me personally. Also the whole, you know, being allowed to wear shoes thing.

But in practice her character design is so limp, her animations are so underbaked, her powers are a mess... :sigh: I want to love her. I want to love her stupid alternate costumes. But she's so baaadddd

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Yeah from what I've seen in any convo other than her gameplay her design is what turned a lot of people off. A business woman in a mask.

I don't know how much that has to do with people still assuming she was a quick rework of Predator (which I'm unsure how accurate that is anyway). But...yeah I can see the complaint. Some of her alternate costumes are cool though!

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 7, 2024

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Yeah from what I've seen in any convo other than her gameplay her design is what turned a lot of people off. A business woman in a mask.

I don't know how much that has to do with people still assuming she was a quick rework of Predator (which I'm unsure how accurate that is anyway). But...yeah I can see the complaint. Some of her alternate costumes are cool though!
What, they don't want to be toxic to Capitalism and then teabag it on their way out the escape gate?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

SM’s animation of trying to run while doing a sexy walk is so painfully awkward I don’t know how it made it out of QA.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Pants Donkey posted:

SM’s animation of trying to run while doing a sexy walk is so painfully awkward I don’t know how it made it out of QA.

I'm sure it was posted here before (probably by me) but in case it wasn't...

Some dude gave Skull Merchant's sassy walk animation to the other killers

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Diabetic posted:

Stranger Things kids don't count I don't think cause they're imagining they're from the 80s.

Huh?

Edit: Do you mean that even though the series is set in the 80s it doesn't count because it wasn't made in the 80s, or am I missing something?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Hello, i am a skull merchant hater. The chapter obviously came out as cut predator content at a time when the game screamed (only slightly less loud than today) to stop putting out new content and fix the old stuff and then was released anyways in a stupid state, with a stupid walk animation, what was at the time the worst possible chase music, an incredibly annoying playstyle, a storyline so incredibly stupid it had to have been brainstormed by a literal six year old (kite flying, dark mangas, THWACK!) and all throughout BHVR continued to gaslight everyone and tell them no no this is what we meant to create there is no cut predator chapter.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

My father's manga

E: A sociopath obsessing over something and making it 'their thing' isn't a bad hook in itself, but lol

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

OxMan posted:

Hello, i am a skull merchant hater. The chapter obviously came out as cut predator content at a time when the game screamed (only slightly less loud than today) to stop putting out new content and fix the old stuff and then was released anyways in a stupid state, with a stupid walk animation, what was at the time the worst possible chase music, an incredibly annoying playstyle, a storyline so incredibly stupid it had to have been brainstormed by a literal six year old (kite flying, dark mangas, THWACK!) and all throughout BHVR continued to gaslight everyone and tell them no no this is what we meant to create there is no cut predator chapter.

For what it's worth, kite fighting is an extremely popular thing in Brazil. Brazil also has a massive Japanese community - the largest Japanese community outside of Japan (1.5 million people), in fact - and anime/manga is extremely popular in Brazil, much like a lot of Latin America. I have an artist friend born and raised in Brazil and there's a huge indie artist scene. Like, the elements of her backstory are absolutely real things that exist and this was an attempt to create Brazilian characters grounded in authentic Brazilian culture from someone who put time into researching it, rather than Overwatch which was like, "what if we cast a guy who doesn't know a lick of Portuguese and hastily rewrite a character into a Brazilian backstory while giving him no cultural trappings of that and the most insanely common Brazilian last name possible"

I'm not saying the backstory isn't kind of incoherent in the sense that it ultimately reads like a rambling first draft that goes on way too long - the elements are there, but ultimately very disorganized and they don't flow well in a way that feels logical and natural. But it isn't like saying "oh, those world famous Florida bobsleds" or something totally random like people make the DARK MANGAS part out to be. Just because the average non-Brazilian isn't familiar with these aspects of Brazilian culture doesn't mean they aren't absolutely a thing.

People should make less of a big deal about the dark mangas and more of a big deal about what a huge loving goober Skerchant is that she's a rich bitch and what she decided to do with that was literally cosplay some grimdark anime bullshit and go around killing people in it. What a dork. Like the equivalent of some millionaire dressing up as Lucy from Elfen Lied then killing for fun because she thinks it's unironically badass. I wish they'd leaned into how unbelievably stupid and funny that is, it owns.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tiny Myers posted:

People should make less of a big deal about the dark mangas and more of a big deal about what a huge loving goober Skerchant is that she's a rich bitch and what she decided to do with that was literally cosplay some grimdark anime bullshit and go around killing people in it. What a dork. Like the equivalent of some millionaire dressing up as Lucy from Elfen Lied then killing for fun because she thinks it's unironically badass. I wish they'd leaned into how unbelievably stupid and funny that is, it owns.

Interestingly the average Predator is the alien equivalent of a rich dipshit who hunts wolves with a high-powered rifle from a helicopter so Skully still keeps to their spirit if not their appearance.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

You can’t tell me you’d be surprised if Elon Musk was uncovered as a serial killer that dressed up as Kaneda because he never actually read nor saw the source material.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1744374563226505605?t=7KOgem54jzGm1hyxaYVckg&s=19

Hex:Ruin buff! Hillbilly buffs! I never played Sadako, but buffs?

I'm trying to wrap my head around the new generators, I can't tell if it's good or bad

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It’s good, I think. Killers get stronger baseline regression but can’t drag out matches as long. Like, surge and pop won’t get as much mileage in long matches like that.

Meanwhile, kicking and regression is strongly under normal play as survivors have to commit to stop it.

And if you have a situation where you kick a gen at like 1% or your surge hits a similar gen, then it won’t gently caress you over as only 2.5% damage or more counts. So Ruin won’t eat into your limit.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Removing gen tapping is good. Always hated that poo poo.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The Sadako changes bring her closer to the way she was before while increasing the threat of condemned...should be good tbh.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Tiny Myers posted:

"My name is Jeff the Killer and I'm going to Jeff the kill you!"

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Get ready to see grim embrace + dead man's switch + pain res every single match.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://x.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1744388607421395441?s=20

Who do we know that uses a Flashlight...

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Oh my god, they’re adding Johnny Five as a survivor.

Johnny Five is alive…until his third hook.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I wonder if that gen thing just stops regression or forbids you from kicking gens at all, since I mostly don't even kick gens for regression, I kick them so Nowhere to Hide goes brrrrr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

I wonder if that gen thing just stops regression or forbids you from kicking gens at all, since I mostly don't even kick gens for regression, I kick them so Nowhere to Hide goes brrrrr

Yep you won't be able to kick them at all.

It seems rough as a fellow NTH enjoyer, but honestly I don't think you kick a gen 8 times as often as you might think you do.