Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"Your honor, listen, it was Christmas break, we were all too busy getting shitfaced on Trump's dime to actually do any work. You can't possibly have expected us to actually work over the holidays, and besides, we all know he's guilty as gently caress anyways! Can't we just let bygones be bygones and let him off with a warning?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
An idiotic strategy is still technically a strategy...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The word for that kind of strategy is “bold” and the counter play is to see how it pays off for ‘em

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

DarkHorse posted:

I... DECLARE.... IMMUNITY!

You forgot to add, "In the name of [whatever]".

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Randalor posted:

"Your honor, listen, it was Christmas break, we were all too busy getting shitfaced on Trump's dime to actually do any work. You can't possibly have expected us to actually work over the holidays, and besides, we all know he's guilty as gently caress anyways! Can't we just let bygones be bygones and let him off with a warning?"

They're literally relitigating the "Jack Smith is the Grinch" filing in retrospect and, you know what, may it pay off as well as it did last time.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BDawg posted:

Do his attorneys really think this is a filing that will be entertained by anyone outside of Matthew Kacsmaryk?

Just because there is a stay on the proceedings doesn't mean that other ground work can't be performed. This is just to throw as much sludge in the gears as possible.

At what point can/will Trump's attorneys be sanctioned for frivolous motions?

its partly to buy time and hope the system gets bored and leaves him alone.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its partly to buy time and hope the system gets bored and leaves him alone.

That does seem to be the traditional way to defeat the government of the United States - militarily at least.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

gregday posted:

The stay order means Jack Smith must be frozen in suspended animation or else that’s trying Trump in absentia.

"Your honor during the time the stay was in place, Jack Smith thought the name "Donald Trump", therefore violating the terms of the order. We move that opposing counsel be executed."

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

gregday posted:

The stay order means Jack Smith must be frozen in suspended animation or else that’s trying Trump in absentia.

Your Honor we object to the existence of Jack Smith and feel it is unfair to our client, we move the CIA use what ever time travel dehicky they have to remove him from existence so our client can receive a fair trial. ...maybe the judge too.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

gregday posted:

If only we could apply this to Trump as well. We wouldn't want to burden Trump with the expenses incurred while living waiting on the appeals process after all.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nervous posted:

If only we could apply this to Trump as well. We wouldn't want to burden Trump with the expenses incurred while living waiting on the appeals process after all.

I'd be fine with him using the Hotblack Desiato method of avoiding legal responsibility, too.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Nervous posted:

I too am down with putting him in suspended animation.

Anything to shut him up.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

PainterofCrap posted:

Anything to shut him up.

Ethically I’m leery of inflicting that on our poor descendants. At minimum we’d have to do that “This is not a place of honor” labeling so no poor post apocalyptic mutant unleashes Trump on his tribe accidentally.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Demolition Man but he just eats the shells and doesn't wipe.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Roger Parloff (lawfare) suspects today may be the day SCOTUS grants cert in the Republicans' attempt to disqualify Trump from the ballot in Colorado. A few quick tweets running down the request and the timelines.

https://twitter.com/rparloff/status/1743230260370387383
https://twitter.com/rparloff/status/1743231581999792304
https://twitter.com/rparloff/status/1743232270150795281

As I understand things, even though Republicans filed the suit, the underlying arguments come with the imprimatur of the Federalist Society, and the GOP has appointed twice as many of SCOTUS justices who will rule on it (with, in fact, as many Trump appointees as justices appointed by Dems), there's still a charmingly afactual attempt to push a narrative about this being a leftist/Dem initiative to disenfranchise Trump voters?

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Paracaidas posted:

As I understand things, even though Republicans filed the suit, the underlying arguments come with the imprimatur of the Federalist Society, and the GOP has appointed twice as many of SCOTUS justices who will rule on it (with, in fact, as many Trump appointees as justices appointed by Dems), there's still a charmingly afactual attempt to push a narrative about this being a leftist/Dem initiative to disenfranchise Trump voters?

You must always remember, anything negative at all is always the fault of the Democrats in the right wing media sphere and has been for 20+ years. I can't attest past that personally as I would have been too young at the time to pay attention. Literally to the point of Fox News putting (D) next to Republican names on air whenever a scandal broke.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Paracaidas posted:

The Colorado Supreme Court that made the decision was appointed entirely by Democratic governors, and best I can tell, 5 of the 7 of them were confirmed by Democratic majority in the State Assembly. If Thomas Dobbs claimed to be a life-long Democrat, you wouldn't say that it was the Democrats who decided to overturn Roe v. Wade.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

skeleton warrior posted:

If Thomas Dobbs claimed to be a life-long Democrat, you wouldn't say that it was the Democrats who decided to overturn Roe v. Wade.
Bit of a stretch, as Dobbs' party affiliation would be entirely irrelevant to Dobbs while affiliation is a fundamental element of the plantiffs' challenge in Colorado and many of the other challenges.

Nervous posted:

You must always remember, anything negative at all is always the fault of the Democrats in the right wing media sphere and has been for 20+ years.
If only the narrative were confined to RWM and the fever swamps of social media!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you were wondering what was up with the NY civil trial, closing arguments are next week on Jan 11.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

smackfu posted:

If you were wondering what was up with the NY civil trial, closing arguments are next week on Jan 11.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

New York A.G. Seeks $370 Million From Trump After Civil Fraud Trial

quote:

The New York attorney general on Friday asked that the judge who had overseen the civil fraud trial of Donald J. Trump to penalize the former president about $370 million, saying the trial had demonstrated that he had gained that amount through unlawful conduct.

The sum was well over the $250 million that the attorney general, Letitia James, had estimated in the fall of 2022, when she sued Mr. Trump, accusing him of inflating his net worth to obtain favorable treatment from banks and insurers.
The trial began in October and proceedings ended last month, but Mr. Trump’s fate is not yet settled. The attorney general’s penalty request came in a post-trial brief filed on Friday. Mr. Trump’s lawyers, in their own filing, wrote that “the attorney general has woefully failed to prove her case and is not entitled to any of the relief,” including any financial penalty.

A lawyer for Mr. Trump did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the $370 million figure.

Next week, the lawyers will make closing arguments in front of the trial judge, Arthur F. Engoron, who has said he will try to issue a ruling on the case by the end of this month. Along with the steep financial penalty, Ms. James is asking that Mr. Trump be barred from participating in New York’s real estate industry and from running any company in the state.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
also requested a lifetime commercial real estate and corporate officer ban for trump, and five years for jr. and eric

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Requiring someone to pay back only the amount you estimated they stole in the happy event you catch them at all seems flawed

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Gort posted:

Requiring someone to pay back only the amount you estimated they stole in the happy event you catch them at all seems flawed

You're right. We should apologize to them for catching them and give them a littlelot extra on the way out for all the headache we caused them.

-Trump's legal team

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

smackfu posted:

Why did they take a multiple week break mid trial? Wtf?

I've seen murder trials where the judge got mad things were taking longer than a week

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I've seen murder trials where the judge got mad things were taking longer than a week

How wealthy was the murderer?

His hair is so thin that the tortured comb over is only barely coving Trump's scalp. The vanity is so hilarious, especially when it cracks.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

Anything to shut him up.

It didn't shut Riddick up, it won't shut Trump up.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Oracle posted:

The literal ‘pound on the table’ theory of legal defense in filing form.

I've been seeing this a lot, recently. Whatever news stories crop up about the trump trial boil down to "BREAKING: trump files order saying everyone else go to jail instead" or "BREAKING: trump, whistling innocently, 'accidentally' drops paper onto judge's desk saying trump legally free forever in perpetuity QED" or "BREAKING: trump points behind judge and says 'oh my god, what's that' before bolting out of door" or "BREAKING: trump declares mar-a-largo 'base' and if he reaches it and calls it out he's safe and charges or dropped, will latest 'dr mcninja' defense succeed" or BREAKING: trump leaps to prosecutor's table and shuffles around all their papers randomly, hoping to delay trial to august 2025"

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Probably because the murder defendant is rotting in jail in the meantime. Nobody's freedom is on the line here.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Magic Underwear posted:

Probably because the murder defendant is rotting in jail in the meantime. Nobody's freedom is on the line here.

Oh no the judge does not care about the defendant

That's adorable no offense meant

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
To their point: there are legally actionable concerns to such delays, and they're always supposed to be on the table when the defendant is held pending conclusion of trial

To your point: they are frequently ignored, especially when the accused is the sort of person the legal system most easily ignores (poor, not white, public defender, etc)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Kavros posted:

when the accused is the sort of person the legal system most easily ignores . . . . public defender

Ooof

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Paracaidas posted:

Roger Parloff (lawfare) suspects today may be the day SCOTUS grants cert in the Republicans' attempt to disqualify Trump from the ballot in Colorado. A few quick tweets running down the request and the timelines.
And granted
https://twitter.com/AWeissmann_/status/1743393878793662924

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice
Sounds like the timeline works more to Trump’s favor(?) Haven’t seen which specific questions they want to be briefed on, but not holding my breath on disqualification given the tea leaves showing with the timeline.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Magic Underwear posted:

Might also be relevant that there's no jury either. Bench trial means you don't have to explain delays to a bunch of working stiffs who are probably going well out of their way and just trying to get their civic duty over with.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

From one of the tweets above:

> If [SCOTUS grants], look for two things: (1) timing; (2) which issues does SCOTUS want briefed?

Am I missing where the grant addresses the second part?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

smackfu posted:

From one of the tweets above:

> If [SCOTUS grants], look for two things: (1) timing; (2) which issues does SCOTUS want briefed?

Am I missing where the grant addresses the second part?

They don't have to say. But the fact that they asked to hear on the AC briefs is a positive sign. They want Trump to address the arguments made against him by other concerned parties.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I guess the QP was pretty broad:
“Did the Colorado Supreme Court err in ordering President Trump excluded from the 2024 presidential primary ballot?”

Note that they only filed for cert on Wed.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I assume Trump has already sent a new RV to Thomas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

azflyboy posted:

I assume Trump has already sent a new RV to Thomas.

You mean promised one but will never deliver.