Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

not trolled not crying posted:

The only good(?) purpose these podcasts have is they give us plenty of case studies on how narcissists behave.

Finally, I've been really hard up for examples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

FishBowlRobot posted:

Bernthal’s podcast sure is something if you ever wanted to see him roleplaying his life as a streetwise military vet talking to Shia LeBouf roleplaying his life as a cholo gangster.

Alright that's enough, podcasts are now illegal

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

shatner must be real happy about mike getting hauled off to jail then

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Are there any "shlock action movie" guys anymore? Statham is the only one I can think of off the top of my head and he's what, in his 50s now? It's getting tough to find a turn your brain off non-horror movie to watch that is a level above syfy original. We were so spoiled from the 80s-00s, Seagal or Van Damme or Lundgren or whoever were making GBS threads out a marginally watchable movie once every few months. I assume this is another thing bad superhero movies took from our culture.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Arc Hammer posted:

Is that why he spends all of The Bear being dead?

Dead rage, checks out. That’s like 2 steps below simmering

Also speaking of Statham, I watched the recent Guy Ritchie schlock fest Operation Fortune: Ruse de guerre and I actually quite enjoyed it. It was stupid as hell and everyone involved knew it and was just having fun. I especially like Hugh Grant’s late career hamathon.

Also Aubrey Plaza always rules

priznat fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 6, 2024

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

FishBowlRobot posted:

Bernthal’s podcast sure is something if you ever wanted to see him roleplaying his life as a streetwise military vet talking to Shia LeBouf roleplaying his life as a cholo gangster.

not trolled not crying posted:

I tried watching that poo poo a few months back because one friend of mine is a huge Bernthal fan but I had to turn it off after a few minutes. LaBeouf is a Disney kid and Bernthal is your typical privileged theater kid from a well-off family and yet here they are talking about their harrowing lives while spouting the lamest fortune cookie platitudes ever about how tough poo poo life is, man. The only good(?) purpose these podcasts have is they give us plenty of case studies on how narcissists behave.

lmao

Just before I read these comments I was just googling the JB and Michael Mann stuff bc I never heard of it

This immediately jumped out to me:
https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/collateral-director-michael-mann-almost-crushed-jon-bernthals-dreams-acting.html/

quote:

It’s not the only time Bernthal faced harsh criticism for his acting. The actor also recalled how, back in school, his theater teacher also thought he was a bad actor. Bernthal’s father confronted the teacher about his words and told him to never speak to Bernthal like that again.

Imagine sending your dad to confront your private college professor.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

sharknado slashfic posted:

Are there any "shlock action movie" guys anymore? Statham is the only one I can think of off the top of my head and he's what, in his 50s now? It's getting tough to find a turn your brain off non-horror movie to watch that is a level above syfy original. We were so spoiled from the 80s-00s, Seagal or Van Damme or Lundgren or whoever were making GBS threads out a marginally watchable movie once every few months. I assume this is another thing bad superhero movies took from our culture.

I'd put Gerard Butler and his X has fallen firmly in this camp, he's getting old as poo poo too though.

I think the thread consensus last time this general topic came up is that the woke mind virus has made beefcake illegal and we live in the age of the power twink.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I think the problem is all the beefcakes were getting their brains scrambled in ufc for a while there and get bad headaches from film lights and can’t read too good no more

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

God I love Jason Statham and I’m glad he exists as an institution

Late career High Grant is also a treasure. He was also having a good turn in that D&D movie, just having a blast being a bad guy

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

poisonpill posted:

God I love Jason Statham and I’m glad he exists as an institution

Late career High Grant is also a treasure. He was also having a good turn in that D&D movie, just having a blast being a bad guy

Jeremy Iron could have some fun being a campy weirdo too as shown in the other D&D movie and die hard 3! It rocks when veteran actors just get weird.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

ProperCauldron posted:

lmao

Just before I read these comments I was just googling the JB and Michael Mann stuff bc I never heard of it

This immediately jumped out to me:
https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/collateral-director-michael-mann-almost-crushed-jon-bernthals-dreams-acting.html/

Imagine sending your dad to confront your private college professor.

oh my loving god

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Ironically the best acting Bernthal ever did was pretending to actually be a tough guy

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

After it was featured on BotW, I tracked down a copy of Stone Cold starring Brian Bosworth and it is even more fantastic than the episode made it look. It literally feels like watching Norm MacDonald describe a parody of 80s action movies in a completely deadpan way where you're never actually sure if you're supposed to be laughing or not.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

priznat posted:

Jeremy Iron could have some fun being a campy weirdo too as shown in the other D&D movie and die hard 3! It rocks when veteran actors just get weird.

I mean he is in the beekeeper also and if the trailer was any indication is gonna go as ham as a 75 year old man can

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

I feel like John Cena and Dave Bautista were gearing up for this type of career, but turns out both of them can do drama and comedy roles too. Plus they seem like more down to earth, empathic people that aren't demanding to make movies about beefcakeishly blowing the evildoers' heads off. Actually, that's probably why they're overall better actors than the 80s staples in the first place.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

NorgLyle posted:

After it was featured on BotW, I tracked down a copy of Stone Cold starring Brian Bosworth and it is even more fantastic than the episode made it look. It literally feels like watching Norm MacDonald describe a parody of 80s action movies in a completely deadpan way where you're never actually sure if you're supposed to be laughing or not.

absolutely true. i recommend it to all the people i find out love 80s action. it truly feels both self aware and clueless

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

NorgLyle posted:

Stone Cold

Streaming anywhere?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

I mean he is in the beekeeper also and if the trailer was any indication is gonna go as ham as a 75 year old man can

Hell yeah go nuts!! Legend.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Crescent Wrench posted:

Always watch Phantasm

:hmmyes:

FlackThatDirt
Jan 6, 2024
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67898783

Actor Christian Oliver, who appeared in the Speed Racer movie died in a plane crash along with his two daughters.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Shinjobi posted:

ready player one already exists, it's fortnite

Fortnite's better than Ready Player One, you can be Frieza and play lead guitar on Buddy Holly

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The cobra racer guy from speed racer died :(

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

poisonpill posted:

The cobra racer guy from speed racer died :(

I heard he died in a plane accident. his two daughters were with him. just awful

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I'm about halfway through Dial of Destiny and Mutt dying in Vietnam hasn't been mentioned yet and I'm going to be very mad if you guys have been gaslight img me the whole time.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm about halfway through Dial of Destiny and Mutt dying in Vietnam hasn't been mentioned yet and I'm going to be very mad if you guys have been gaslight img me the whole time.
It's definitely in there and made me laugh when I saw it. That probably wasn't the intended reaction, but it was loving funny.

You are a nerd
Apr 9, 2003

See?
Is there still anybody streaming b movies on discord on fridays, or did that worthless dork who tried to stop them succeed?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Nevermind you're off the hook thread. It wasn't all I'd hoped it would be but it was still funny.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

It's there

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

You are a nerd posted:

Is there still anybody streaming b movies on discord on fridays, or did that worthless dork who tried to stop them succeed?

I haven't seen a post about it in a while but I figured it was just the holidays.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

doctor thoss I believe? haven't seen them round here in a while

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Put him on the board. Pretty soon the only one left itt will be me and all I’m going to do is react to which Hollywood people are in the latest Epstein releases

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

No never it’ll be me posting about YouTubers no one cares about and/or hates (not Jenny tho)

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

and ill be here too. providing more white noise. yeah. i saw movie and movie was good or bad. mostly bad

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

We need more diverse noise

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Hackers film 1995 posted:

and ill be here too. providing more white noise. yeah. i saw movie and movie was good or bad. mostly bad

you piece of poo poo that's my posting gimmick! gently caress you!!!!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Kalel no

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

priznat posted:

Kalel no

Setting these up is your actual gimmick Kalel

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

We should all be named after superheroes from awful movies itt

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

I will continue posting 1 - 5 posts a month until this thread is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

14 pages in 5 days is rookie numbers for this thread