Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Ferrinus posted:

Magic's lead designer is always having to post things like "look, black magic may be the kind used for murder, pestilence, betrayal, greed, and ruthless ambition, but no color is simple as to be straightforwardly 'good' or 'evil'. For instance, besides all that nasty stuff, black mana is also associated with capitalism!"

The last straightforwardly-heroic Black character I can remember is... Yahenni, from Kaladesh block?

What I'm saying is that Black or even Red/Black can be a story's heroic "good" faction if WotC stops being cowards and gives us a plane about punk rockers fighting against The Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Ferrinus posted:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/making-magic/black-2004-02-02

"Second, many of the things black embodies can be used for good. For example, black is the color that stresses the importance of the individual. This is a fundamental part of things like capitalism and the American Constitution. Selfishness has its good uses. Sometimes, people really should put themselves first."

:lol: thanks.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is Sorin Markov?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Zurai posted:

Green must fight Purple. Purple must fight Green. Is no other way!

new alignment chart based on the teams from legends of the hidden temple

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
At least they've consistently shown that white will go fasc with very little prodding.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

red is the only good color but not because of politics, its because if I win fast enough I can make blue/white players (evil) cry and that is the only thing that matters

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

green is the faction of dinosaurs, so it's inherently good

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Black isn't really going to generate much beyond anti-heroes, honestly. And that's fine! If you're powered by the magic of "Try and stop me, haters" you aren't going to be a benevolent person.

Red, on the other hand, is basically every Shonen protag fighting with the power of friendship, anime, and giant muscles.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

blue is the faction of "no you may not do that thing you were trying to do lol" and that makes it inherently evil

red has goblins so it's not evil or good but excellent, because goblins rule

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
White has big beefy lionmen who don't like to wear shirts and that's pretty cool

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

lightrook posted:

The last straightforwardly-heroic Black character I can remember is... Yahenni, from Kaladesh block?

What I'm saying is that Black or even Red/Black can be a story's heroic "good" faction if WotC stops being cowards and gives us a plane about punk rockers fighting against The Man.

in New Capenna the Red/Green/Black guild were basically the teamsters who existed to absolutely ruin the day of the other two black aligned factions which were "Just openly the mob" and "the cops"
e: Also they tend to have individual heroic characters in black but they're usually several colors that include black, like Kaito or Naishi.

but if there's a Villain you bet your *rear end* they've got a Skull pip in their mana cost somewhere.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 6, 2024

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Kurieg posted:

but if there's a Villain you bet your *rear end* they've got a Skull pip in their mana cost somewhere.

Elesh Norn.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Zurai posted:

Elesh Norn.

the Praetors are kind of cheating

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Benagain posted:

At least they've consistently shown that white will go fasc with very little prodding.

White are liberals.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Magic's best black magic-aligned protagonist (as opposed to their best black protagonist, who is and always will be Koth) is Sorin, because his selfishness is contextualized via his hatred of things threatening his ability to be an rear end in a top hat vampire. Gotta kill all of those goddamn Eldrazi because they're an existential threat to the multiverse and I live in the multiverse alongside all of the people I plan to eat.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Zurai posted:

Elesh Norn.

admanb posted:

Yeah.

Every color except Red has an evil character in the praetors, and even then Vorinclex was just too hungry and stupid to be anything other than a very large scary animal. The actual motive power behind the green phyrexians was Glissa who's also black.

The Red Praetor took his colors themes of "independence and self determination" to the logical extreme of "if these people don't want to get eaten then that's valid." and also "mandatory state religion loving sucks."

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

My favorite alignment is Wizardry's but only for the descriptions being that good will always help an old lady cross the street, neutral heroes will do so, if they're heading the same way and evil ones won't. However the evil they all are fighting will help an old lady half way across the street.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

of course the literal D&D magic sets tell us exactly what color a bunch of actual D&D things are, but that's less fun

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Which Magic color has the most waifus

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Nahiri is the other mono white turbo villain. Not even phyrexian. Just a douche.

There's also Toshiro Umezawa and Liliana for "somewhat" heroic characters in Black.

I still think it could work. D&D has so much room for barely tolerable super selfish anti-heroes it's practically a mainstay.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Whirling posted:

red is the only good color but not because of politics, its because if I win fast enough I can make blue/white players (evil) cry and that is the only thing that matters

With a mono-red burn deck either I win or I lose but either way it's over fast and I can leave.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Nahiri is a terminal fuckup who blames everyone else for every bad thing she's done. Like how she totally wouldn't have had to do an omnicide if the other races didn't overthrow the Kor. It's their own fault honestly.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Bruceski posted:

With a mono-red burn deck either I win or I lose but either way it's over fast and I can leave.

anyone who wants a match to go beyond twenty minutes tops is a fiend and must be destroyed via me using the greatest tactics of all: me summoning a bunch of guys to kill them

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

blue has like two dozen versions of Jace

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

It's every color because the best MTG waifus are slivers. Always down for a group session, stronger in numbers, theoretically even some variation on female.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

I read that as "walrus" first and was disappointed it wasn't.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

dwarf74 posted:

I read that as "walrus" first and was disappointed it wasn't.

Sadly, there is no walrus tribal.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

There's a single walrus at least which means it is a type. So with enough perseverance and changelings you can make your dreams come true.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Kurieg posted:

in New Capenna the Red/Green/Black guild were basically the teamsters who existed to absolutely ruin the day of the other two black aligned factions which were "Just openly the mob" and "the cops"
e: Also they tend to have individual heroic characters in black but they're usually several colors that include black, like Kaito or Naishi.

Lukka was Red and then R/G. Tibalt eventually did get a black pip on his final card but he spent the vast majority of his time being a mono red rear end in a top hat.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

imweasel09 posted:

Lukka was Red and then R/G. Tibalt eventually did get a black pip on his final card but he spent the vast majority of his time being a mono red rear end in a top hat.

in Tilbalt's case, black represents competence

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I don't think Lukka had enough brain cells jostling around in his head to understand what evil is.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Personally I like alignment just fine, I don’t particularly care about the PCs’ alignments since they’re mortals with deeper, more complex characters, but I enjoy having cosmic forces aligned with moral outlooks as a feature of my games. The fact that objective Good in the medieval fantasy setting doesn’t fully line up with modern views on what is “good” is for me a feature rather than a bug. Obviously some stuff is vetoed (e.g. I’m extremely not interested in RPing medieval people’s views on gender or homosexuality), but a little bit of friction between “is this *right* (by our players’ modern moral codes)” and “is this Good (by the moral codes of cosmic forces in the setting” is nice, as long as you restrict it to things like planar adventures where those questions are a main focus. “Can a devil ever be good, and if so what would happen?” Sounds like a fun and interesting question to find the answer to, while “is it morally correct to kill goblin babies” is not going to lead anywhere anyone wants to go.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Ominous Jazz posted:

White has big beefy lionmen who don't like to wear shirts and that's pretty cool

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

admanb posted:

It was just the most recent example. Other notable major mono-white villains include Heliod, Konda, and Akroma.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Odyssey block had the mirari cycle through character of all the colors except green, and anyone who had the mirari was the villain.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

It's simple: good vs. evil is about how you treat people below you in the social hierarchy, and law vs. chaos is about how you treat people above you

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Zurai posted:

It was just the most recent example. Other notable major mono-white villains include Heliod, Konda, and Akroma.

Okay fine maybe i was being too general. But most of the villains are black. When they aren't black they're leaning real hard into the rear end in a top hat traits of White or Blue usually, if not just Being loving Azor himself.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Benagain posted:

That's why Urza used to be White before he got moved over to Blue.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Black has the rats, who are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's why Urza used to be White before he got moved over to Blue.

You mean in card release order? Urza’s cards have him go from mono-U to UW as he ages from high artificer to dictatorial war guy.