Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Frosted Flake posted:

Someone told me that Mean Girls: The Musical, like Legally Blonde, have librettos written and music composed in a way that suggests they were designed to be licensed for high school productions. I don’t know enough about performing to say what the signs of that would be. Licensing productions for high school and college drama departments is apparently big money though and it would make sense to write a “francisable” show, but I don’t know how you could tell.

Hasn't play licensing been a thing for a while? The school I went to did productions of Bye Bye Birdie and Pippin and that wasn't a unique thing where I grew up.

quote:

The very traditionally produced revivals of Rogers and Hammerstein have been critical and audience darlings for the past decade. Why no movie version of The King and I or South Pacific ?

I think the music is just a bit too dated for both of those. You'll also get a PR headache trying to remove the racism from the King and I. They managed to do a really successful Broadway revival in 2015 though, so maybe a movie remake is ultimately going to come.

It looks like some producers pushed really far with remaking South Pacific, but it eventually fizzled out. https://www.indiewire.com/news/general-news/michelle-williams-offered-lead-in-remake-of-south-pacific-98324/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

the only musical rn that doesn’t fit either of those archetypes, btw, is Days of Wine and Roses, which is adapted from a 60s film and which I, a musical liker, just heard of for the first time right now.

Somebody made a musical out of that movie? It's one of the most depressing things I've ever seen.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Cael posted:

Jackie Brown loving rules, I'm glad that semi-recently it seems like it's getting more of the appreciation it deserves (sadly probably in part due to Robert Forster dying). Ladies, find you a man who looks at you like Max Cherry looks at Jackie Brown when he first meets her.

Idk why I put off seeing it for awhile, sometimes I like to "save" movies from a director that I like. But I'm glad I waited because I don't think I would've appreciated this one as much at 16. It's much more reserved compared to Tarantino's other movies.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

cast size, nothing too raunchy in the lyrics, even the diva roles singable by a mildly talented teenager, a simple staging, etc. definitely feels plausible to me!!

That seems pretty smart, right? I guess you trade the Tonys you may have won by pushing the envelope for the long term revenue from licensing.

Are there any other shows like that? The Addams Family and Seussical?

e: I agree that shows have always been licensed, iirc either Gilbert or Sullivan saw that as their main business later in their partnership. It hadn’t occurred to me that shows could be written for licensing though. To use the example, Gilbert and Sullivan always wrote for the D'Oyly Carte Opera Company, and then when they travelled to America or Europe to help start productions ran into problems with people not being experienced in singing their style of light opera.

It apparently plagued productions of the Mikado in Japan until very recently, now that Japanese singers are more familiar with, and trained in, western pop music type singing. When they were coming from Japanese opera they couldn’t sing the patter songs.

I wish I knew more about the performance side of things, instead of just cultural history.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 19:27 on Jan 5, 2024

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Are there any other shows like that? The Addams Family and Seussical?

https://playbill.com/article/the-10-most-produced-high-school-plays-and-musicals-of-2022-2023

I would count the SpongeBob and Shrek musicals in that category I think?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Idk why I put off seeing it for awhile, sometimes I like to "save" movies from a director that I like.

I absolutely do this. It's nice to know that if the mood strikes me, there are a handful of movies I can rip open and consume that will be good or at least interesting.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Eric Cantonese posted:

Somebody made a musical out of that movie? It's one of the most depressing things I've ever seen.

it’s pretty funny that it’s the same people that adapted Light in the Piazza. they’re obsessed with 60s movies

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I absolutely do this. It's nice to know that if the mood strikes me, there are a handful of movies I can rip open and consume that will be good or at least interesting.

Yeah I saved The Master for my 30th birthday a couple years ago and I'm glad I did because I've watched it probably five times since

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the nice thing about being into '80s horror movies is they cranked out so many of them that even though I've been watching them since I was like thirteen I still unearth new ones I've never even heard of.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Idk why I put off seeing it for awhile, sometimes I like to "save" movies from a director that I like. But I'm glad I waited because I don't think I would've appreciated this one as much at 16. It's much more reserved compared to Tarantino's other movies.

I hear you because I absolutely watched it at that age and went "WTF THIS ISN'T LIKE PULP FICTION OR RESERVOIR DOGS" like a dumbass teenager and had a negative opinion for a long timer. Probably wasn't until late 20s or even early 30s that I rewatched it and had my mind blown for how great it was. Anyone who watched it a long time ago and doesn't remember it fondly is doing themselves a disservice by not revisiting it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the end of Pyramids pissed me the hell off

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

isn't half the fbi mormon now, or some crazy poo poo like that

they hired a bunch in the 70s and they took over the agency from the inside and intentionally never changed the hiring requirements. they run diplomatic security too. also means the agency is so toxic socially the only people who want to work there don't know better and are drummed out or are already mormons. this is also the major reason why the cia has so many gay theater kids

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Cael posted:

I hear you because I absolutely watched it at that age and went "WTF THIS ISN'T LIKE PULP FICTION OR RESERVOIR DOGS" like a dumbass teenager and had a negative opinion for a long timer. Probably wasn't until late 20s or even early 30s that I rewatched it and had my mind blown for how great it was. Anyone who watched it a long time ago and doesn't remember it fondly is doing themselves a disservice by not revisiting it.

As teens I had one friend who insisted it was better and looking back he was right and the rest of us were stupid teens.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

it’s pretty funny that it’s the same people that adapted Light in the Piazza. they’re obsessed with 60s movies

Critics loved that one though, right?

Sort of the opposite of music written for high school casts, it has counterpoint songs in multiple languages and operatic scales.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_umTxYD-o3k&pp=ygUXdGhlIGxpZ2h0IGluIHRoZSBwaWF6emE%3D

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

new nic cage droppin soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es1pFnq_VJ4

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Critics loved that one though, right?

Sort of the opposite of music written for high school casts, it has counterpoint songs in multiple languages and operatic scales.

yeah. but I think they were trying to make art, not sell out theatres, so it stands to reason it had a better shot at being legit good lol.

when I was in eighth grade my friend fell in love with Matthew Morrison off the strength of his performance in that show. but then he starred in Glee and now he’s dead to all of us

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

I kinda miss sex in tv shows. It's been so long since the early seasons of Power. It's been so long since Game of Thrones opened the series with a backshot that slammed so hard it crippled the future king.

i will grant that there's not much sex in movies right now, but i just watched bridgerton (aka the netflix regency-era-in-britain-minus-racism show) and the entire second half of the season was a bunch of sex scenes that revolved around whether or not a guy would creampie his wife

riverdale ended recently but that show also had a shitload of sex for basic cable

also wasn't there that show with the weeknd recently that was getting a bunch of flak because it was nothing but a bunch of (very misogynistic) sex scenes?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Aglet56 posted:

also wasn't there that show with the weeknd recently that was getting a bunch of flak because it was nothing but a bunch of (very misogynistic) sex scenes?

that's not tv, it's HBO

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

HBO set 100 million dollars on fire because the execs/director wanted to be friends with the weeknd

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bro Dad posted:

HBO set 100 million dollars on fire because the execs/director wanted to be friends with the weeknd

And they probably helped him kill his career in the process

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i never heard a single thing about the actual show, just him being weird on set a few months before release

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mormon guys talking shop around the freestyle machine at fbi ha

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Cael posted:

Jackie Brown loving rules, I'm glad that semi-recently it seems like it's getting more of the appreciation it deserves (sadly probably in part due to Robert Forster dying). Ladies, find you a man who looks at you like Max Cherry looks at Jackie Brown when he first meets her.

it’s his best work imo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

second-best

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

And they probably helped him kill his career in the process

His career is fine, he was just in Fortnite

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Cael posted:

I still say it's the best Tarantino movie without a doubt

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
the curse keeps getting better and better

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Aglet56 posted:

i'm far from the first to point out that the maquis don't really make any sense in the star trek universe. why would they be so bent out of shape about having to leave their colonies when they can just replicate their exact homes again on one of the thousands of other habitable planets in the galaxy? it's kind of transparently a 20th century political scenario transplanted into star trek

Yeah this plotline came up in 90s trek a fair bit. DS9 where people wouldn't leave a planet when there were only like a few hundreds them tops on the whole planet. And this arrangement is like commonplace in the Alpha Quadrant. Peeps could have an entire continent to themselves but oh no there's some other band of a couple hundred people who insist that the entire planet is theirs actually. I bet the amount of people who even sympathetic to the Maquis let alone Maquis themselves wouldn't even fill Wembley stadium, but somehow all of that is preferably to just going to another planet and setting up shop with their free energy replicators.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
tv iv posters have poo poo for brains. read a loving book

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

KirbyKhan posted:

His career is fine, he was just in Fortnite

Did he manage to kill Fortnite too?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

fortnite is more powerful than even the weeknd

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

also this is fake

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

skooma512 posted:

Yeah this plotline came up in 90s trek a fair bit. DS9 where people wouldn't leave a planet when there were only like a few hundreds them tops on the whole planet. And this arrangement is like commonplace in the Alpha Quadrant. Peeps could have an entire continent to themselves but oh no there's some other band of a couple hundred people who insist that the entire planet is theirs actually. I bet the amount of people who even sympathetic to the Maquis let alone Maquis themselves wouldn't even fill Wembley stadium, but somehow all of that is preferably to just going to another planet and setting up shop with their free energy replicators.

Oh gently caress, why couldn't the Federation and Cardassian settlers just share the planets

Planets are big

We share this one with English people for fucks sake

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Cardassians are English people and the humans of the 24th century finally decided enough was enough.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Aglet56 posted:

also this is fake

Yeah I've been confused by the reaction to this because it doesn't look real in the slightest

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i'm quite a "cinema buff" as they say, and i feel like if a movie of the biggest broadway smash hit since cats or whatever was due to release in six months there would have been a little news about it before now

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Speaking of movie buffs On Cinema is back.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

In Training posted:

Speaking of movie buffs On Cinema is back.

I just can't figure out this new Stars to Bags conversion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Star Wars and Star Trek both operate under the logic that a planet is the size of a small town at most.