Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Becoming increasingly clear that the company owner is not just bad at running a company but may in fact not actually understand what a company is.

He refuses to employ anybody because he was shoved into a locker by a work contract as a child or something, so we're all self-employed contractors. Instead of doing a rota, every Sunday evening he puts out an all hands email asking who is going to be in this week and what days they're planning to work. This usually lasts until at least Tuesday when people start not turning up/changing their shifts. At the end of the week everybody just writes down their hours and submits it to accounts. Sometimes staff will disappear for weeks at a time without any notice, but that's okay because nobody actually has job descriptions so we're all expected to have eyes on everything all the time.

On one hand it's extremely flexible for me, but it's getting impossible to organise workflow or have budgets because his planned staffing hours are just "???" every single month. That's okay too because he's sketchy on the concept of budgets - we don't have any planned yearly budget for staffing, materials, maintenance, or shipping as far as I'm aware. These things just sort of happen and are expected to work themselves out naturally.

He's somehow personally worth somewhere in the early seven figures. Every single day I wake up and am baffled that he's as successful as he is because it sure as poo poo isn't because of his captain of industry talents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
If you're broken enough to have a manager brain tell him you want more responsibility and you'll take on general organizational management so he can focus on the technical operations where his passion lies. Then fix all that poo poo.

If you haven't been cursed with liquid poo poo for brains bill more hours they're clearly not keeping track.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I'd rather die. We have no management structure beyond Him > Everybody Else and he would just carry on micromanaging your direct reports anyway. I'm happy with my place in the FI squad.

My billing is very lightly generous but not so much that it would be called out. I appreciate being able to wake up and go "not working today" more than risking the entire boat.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

NPR Journalizard posted:

wait, do you mean high proof whiskey, or whiskey flavouring?

High proof.

Well anyway, for those of you following at home, my antogonist today is the last HR person left at our site, who I have a previous conflict* with.

tactlessbastard posted:

I'm the dumb poo poo at work.

HR starts with a collegial 'how do you do fellow manufacturing employees? and then goes right into,

'So, I understand yall had this good old boy, you scratch my back, I scratch yours arrangement, but that was really only for during covid,'

I interrupted and said it wasn't an arrangement, we had been told to do so by her predecessor on behalf of corporate. It was a policy handed down from the mothership.

HR wants to see the policy. I said I'd look to see if I have a copy. (I don't, why would I?) We're currently at an impasse.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
It is worth being careful what you wish for.

I got so frustrated with one place's lack of structure that I jumped to somewhere much more regimented. Unfortunately, most of their (admittedly well-documented and comprehensive) policies and practices turned out to be terrible. So much so that I actually came to miss being permanently burned out and confused by constant change.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Volmarias posted:

This is someone who knows that they can never be fired and acts as such.

Alternatively, someone who has spent way too long dealing with broke brained managers who don't actually know or care what they do, but just want to jerk them around.

Knowing this team, it's more likely plain incompetence and inexperience. We had a "hot" operation get approved yesterday, only for someone to notice when parts started coming back today that one of the features was cut way too deep. It was 0.170", should have been 0.050". It's a huge fuckup on engineering's part and no one has an answer for how they'll fix everything, so tomorrow will start off with a nice blame throwing session.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

RocketMermaid posted:

trying to find a place to put a huge loving package when you're in the middle of a critical can't-take-your-eyes-off-it process is lovely.

Your mother has the same problem when I pay a visit, and she doesn't get all angry about it. :smuggo:

blackmet posted:

I know that nothing makes me feel more connected to my office mates than sitting in a meeting room alone for 1/2 my day. Returning back to hybrid hasn't been as horrible as I thought it would be -- almost everyone have talked to here is really nice, and because nobody really knows what I do, they don't really try to manage me. But it's still basically... pointless. Especially if my systems barely work.

Sounds like it's time to put in a requisition for a "new network Switch for the wifi".

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

blackmet posted:

I have a feeling the software is white listed for the company Wi-fi network and their offices in the few primary cities where this is done. But nobody ever thought to make it usable here.

Turns out that the other extremely outdated and manual system I needed to get this going had the same issue. My workaround was to book a "focus room" where the docking station only really exists for the monitors and peripherals, but otherwise has you connect to WiFi. Once I made the move, everything worked perfectly.

I know that nothing makes me feel more connected to my office mates than sitting in a meeting room alone for 1/2 my day. Returning back to hybrid hasn't been as horrible as I thought it would be -- almost everyone have talked to here is really nice, and because nobody really knows what I do, they don't really try to manage me. But it's still basically... pointless. Especially if my systems barely work.

Why not just...unplug the network cable from your dock? Your wifi will work fine with the laptop closed and docked.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

The HLT element is still broken, and our shipment of various fittings, seals and useful things from china including HLT elements is delayed as gently caress, no solid ETA.
We’re doing four kettle sours next week lol gently caress my entire life. Each batch needs to be mashed in and sparged, briefly boiled then cooled to about 35C, has lactibacillus added and is left to sour overnight with a CO2 blanket bubbling slowly through the wort. Then brought up to boil again, cooled to 18C through the heat exchanger and sent to the fermenter. The process generates a lot of hot water, but not hot enough to be sanitary, and without working heating in the HLT we’re going to have to store it in an empty clean fermenter before boiling it in the kettle again to mash in again.
The logistics of this are loving breaking my brain. My body is also broken because I’ve been packing off sixpacks from the canning line all day, which is a) a terrible use of my time as a skilled worker and b) angrying up the arthritis in my lumbar and sacroiliac joints.
Lol gently caress my entire life, I’m gonna spend my whole weekend sleeping and maybe smoking some weed as pain relief.

I gotta leave this industry this year. I’m trying to go back to entertainment tech, because it’s the only other thing I’m good at.

E: we’re also super low on CO2 hahahahahahahaaaa omg gently caress

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Shithouse Dave posted:

The HLT element is still broken, and our shipment of various fittings, seals and useful things from china including HLT elements is delayed as gently caress, no solid ETA.
We’re doing four kettle sours next week lol gently caress my entire life. Each batch needs to be mashed in and sparged, briefly boiled then cooled to about 35C, has lactibacillus added and is left to sour overnight with a CO2 blanket bubbling slowly through the wort. Then brought up to boil again, cooled to 18C through the heat exchanger and sent to the fermenter. The process generates a lot of hot water, but not hot enough to be sanitary, and without working heating in the HLT we’re going to have to store it in an empty clean fermenter before boiling it in the kettle again to mash in again.
The logistics of this are loving breaking my brain. My body is also broken because I’ve been packing off sixpacks from the canning line all day, which is a) a terrible use of my time as a skilled worker and b) angrying up the arthritis in my lumbar and sacroiliac joints.
Lol gently caress my entire life, I’m gonna spend my whole weekend sleeping and maybe smoking some weed as pain relief.

I gotta leave this industry this year. I’m trying to go back to entertainment tech, because it’s the only other thing I’m good at.

E: we’re also super low on CO2 hahahahahahahaaaa omg gently caress

as someone who also has chronic pain my loving god just call in sick before the process starts, no job is worth being in loving agony

also I wonder if your seals and fittings are nestled amongst the sex arses on Mr Teatime's ship

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Agents are GO! posted:

Sounds like it's time to put in a requisition for a "new network Switch for the wifi".

You kid, but I do have a Nintendo switch I won for free from work. It's hooked up to the Samsung TV I also won from work.

quote:

Why not just...unplug the network cable from your dock? Your wifi will work fine with the laptop closed and docked.

My manager just suggested the same thing. With my luck, I would probably somehow permanently shut down the internet for the entire building.

If that happened, I would be hailed as a hero. I'm going to have to do it.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

blackmet posted:

You kid, but I do have a Nintendo switch I won for free from work. It's hooked up to the Samsung TV I also won from work.

My manager just suggested the same thing. With my luck, I would probably somehow permanently shut down the internet for the entire building.

If that happened, I would be hailed as a hero. I'm going to have to do it.

Life must be hard for you in the digital economy Mr. Pulsifer.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

darkwasthenight posted:

Becoming increasingly clear that the company owner is not just bad at running a company but may in fact not actually understand what a company is.

He refuses to employ anybody because he was shoved into a locker by a work contract as a child or something, so we're all self-employed contractors. Instead of doing a rota, every Sunday evening he puts out an all hands email asking who is going to be in this week and what days they're planning to work. This usually lasts until at least Tuesday when people start not turning up/changing their shifts. At the end of the week everybody just writes down their hours and submits it to accounts. Sometimes staff will disappear for weeks at a time without any notice, but that's okay because nobody actually has job descriptions so we're all expected to have eyes on everything all the time.

On one hand it's extremely flexible for me, but it's getting impossible to organise workflow or have budgets because his planned staffing hours are just "???" every single month. That's okay too because he's sketchy on the concept of budgets - we don't have any planned yearly budget for staffing, materials, maintenance, or shipping as far as I'm aware. These things just sort of happen and are expected to work themselves out naturally.

He's somehow personally worth somewhere in the early seven figures. Every single day I wake up and am baffled that he's as successful as he is because it sure as poo poo isn't because of his captain of industry talents.

He's gonna get shoved in a locker by the IRS.

There is not much chance you all would pass the ABC test. Assuming this isn't California?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

darkwasthenight posted:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/worker-classification-101-employee-or-independent-contractor

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

We just had a nebulous Teams meeting thrown on our calendar by the department Director today. All the invite said was going over an upcoming policy change.

After sitting in mostly silence for 10 minutes due to the director having other meetings run long, he starts in. Apparently the mothership company wants everyone in the office a core three days a week, Tue-Thurs. This is up from two days a week, with everyone in on Wednesday and one other day of choice.

Where this gets pretty dumb is the location I work at just got finished consolidating so they could give up the lease on a bunch of space. We already couldn’t fit everyone in the office on Wednesday, but had dispensation to work around it. It’s sounding like the Directors have absolutely no idea how this is going to work out at all, but they have all of a month to try and figure it out.

And yes, the consensus among a few of us peons is that this is a step towards voluntary headcount reduction. They are not bringing back a bunch of contract employees this year already. We figure this is the second step to try and reduce headcount. We will see what raises and bonuses look like when those numbers come out in February. Supposedly as of 3rd quarter last year, the company was on track for its pretty standard bonus metrics. But I think the utility rate case getting completely trashed (mid December) by the state has really spooked the executives.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Shithouse Dave posted:

We’re doing four kettle sours next week lol gently caress my entire life.

:stonk: That is ludicrous, sorry you have to deal with that poo poo. We're small enough that if we do *one* kettle sour it pretty much clears out our entire brewing week.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

If someone's hiding in the bushes outside your job hollering at them to make a decent simple ale and decent simple lager, it's definitely not me

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Bondematt posted:

He's gonna get shoved in a locker by the IRS.

There is not much chance you all would pass the ABC test. Assuming this isn't California?

No

And yeah, neither site is US but we all know the relevant laws and how they do or don't apply. It's slightly more nebulous for me because I do occasionally have other employers as a contractor, but there's a running joke that when you finally leave you just go straight to court instead of filing your final invoice.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah I have bad news for anyone who enjoys...any sort of entertainment, and it's that movies, games, music etc is all produced by people hired as contractors. Even the bigger, longer projects - for example, game studios do rotations letting people go for just long enough they won't be considered employees, then bringing them back in. It's a well-known practice and no one does anything, no one is going after these companies for this stuff. And even when they do the penalty is never going to be more than the money they saved not paying for the bennies, pensions, sick days, etc of the contractors.

Until there's real regulatory oversight with actual teeth, the current laws about contractors vs employees are mostly aspirational and only stop the very good at heart, goody two-shoes bosses from doing it. And we all know how many of those there are, lol

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 6, 2024

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Shugojin posted:

If someone's hiding in the bushes outside your job hollering at them to make a decent simple ale and decent simple lager, it's definitely not me

Dreaming of a stout that isn't Birthday Cake Peanut Butter Caramel Barrel Aged Stout with 15% ABV

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

withoutclass posted:

Dreaming of a stout that isn't Birthday Cake Peanut Butter Caramel Barrel Aged Stout with 15% ABV

It’s always Bourbon barrel aged too

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
A red wine barrel aged stout could be good if you didn't gently caress it up with peanut butter and poo poo

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Outrail posted:

A red wine barrel aged stout could be good if you didn't gently caress it up with peanut butter and poo poo

What's the matter, friend? It's just our new sherry aged stout with potato peelings and yogurt. You're gonna love it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can I get it hazy?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Catastrophe posted:

What's the matter, friend? It's just our new sherry aged stout with potato peelings and yogurt. You're gonna love it.

Doesn't sound terrible tbqh

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
My job just paid me 24 hours of my last paycheque at a rate of $0.00.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Chocobo posted:

My job just paid me 24 hours of my last paycheque at a rate of $0.00.

I hope you got time and a half on on the 8-12 and double after that.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
There's a wage averaging agreement due to the work schedule, so I end up with 10 hours of time and a half and 4 hours of double time each paycheque. I did receive the overtime I was supposed to, because they actually did log that I worked the correct number of hours, they just decided that 24 of those worked hours should be paid at a wage of $0.00.

This paycheque also had three stat holidays on it, so I'm pestering some coworkers to see if their cheques were also wrong. I could totally see the company trying sneak a few days off their payroll because they had to pay us for the holidays.

Chocobo fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jan 6, 2024

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Catastrophe posted:

Ooh. Do you put a potato beetle grub in the bottle?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My company has been asked to inspect some lift shafts.

The client will not be providing a lift engineer to assist.

So my boss is doing it himself.

Hopefully he does not fall to his death or decapitate himself in the process

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Outrail posted:

Red wine tannins + peanut butter sweetness = :barf:

I have a port-barrel aged old ale called Castlewood that turned out loving great. Trust me, most brewers are tired as gently caress of pastry stouts and slushie sours too, but the industry is in a pretty tight state right now and if it sells, we pretty much gotta brew it. Thankfully I feel like those breakfast cereal gimmick bullshit beers have reached their peak of popularity and are backing off now.

I will flat out tell our owners "no" to certain ideas, and milkshake IPAs and peanut butter beers are two of them. It's almost impossible to put nuts in beer without the fats completely killing head retention and potentially going rancid, and it's hard to get any decent extraction from them. And thankfully our owners are relatively oldschool beer nerds and absolutely love when I push ideas for new lagers or English or Belgian ales. I still get to do some fun experimentation though, especially since we have a contact who's gotten us collaborations with a few Japanese breweries who brought over some unique ingredients. (Sansho green peppercorn in a saison is exquisite.)

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

My boys want to do a watermelon kolsch. Why must we jam a fruit in everything? And why watermelon, of all things? It’s so mildly flavoured in and of itself.

E: the HLT still isn’t fixed. I’m on day 2 of sour 2, and the boss is aiming to mash in again after the boil, but I am absolutely not sticking around for that carry-on, he’ll be here til midnight boiling the mash and sparge water in the ding-dang kettle

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Shithouse Dave posted:

My boys want to do a watermelon kolsch. Why must we jam a fruit in everything? And why watermelon, of all things? It’s so mildly flavoured in and of itself.

E: the HLT still isn’t fixed. I’m on day 2 of sour 2, and the boss is aiming to mash in again after the boil, but I am absolutely not sticking around for that carry-on, he’ll be here til midnight boiling the mash and sparge water in the ding-dang kettle

Cucumber drinks are also starting to take off and that's one of the least noticeable flavors available. Thomas Hooker makes a watermelon lager that is just basically sugar and Jolly Rancher Watermelon flavoring if you want to follow that pattern. It's OK at best, but f you are going to pack that much fake flavoring into a drink you need to give it a high ABV or just make a fruit flavored seltzer instead. Just completely disregard the idea of a beer.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If you want it to be fermented and alcoholic you could make a kombucha. Those were big at one point and came in all sorts of weird flavours.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Craft breweries are in a never ending struggle between what they want to make and what makes money.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

wash bucket posted:

Craft breweries are in a never ending struggle between what they want to make and what makes money.

Unless they just want to make money. Then they're a marketing division with a brewery annex.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Lazyfire posted:

It's OK at best, but f you are going to pack that much fake flavoring into a drink you need to give it a high ABV or just make a fruit flavored seltzer instead. Just completely disregard the idea of a beer.

As someone who ran a real ale pub for a few years, it is depressing how many people just want alcoholic fruit drinks but don't want to admit that's what they want.

Anytime one of the breweries sent us a sampler of something ridiculously sweet and we set it up, it got bought much faster than much better beers.

Note that we also stocked Smirnoff ice, Bacardi breezers, etc, but people didn't really want them. They wanted beer. That tasted like those things.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

I just want my Munich Dunkel to be a regular brew. It’s delicious and there’s no fruit or lactose or bullshit, just nice malt and some noble hops.
It sold through, but in a couple of months rather than 3 weeks like some of the stupid hazies and ice cream sours.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I don’t know why breweries don’t make more radlers and shandies. It’s my favorite time of year when Schöfferhofer grapefruit and Stiegl lemon radlers start showing up at the grocery store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
We need more full strength radlers imo. Better for pouring over ice in a giant insulated cup and passing out in a hammock under a big leafy tree.