Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Junpei is probably the best part of the opening. Besides Koromaru of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I hope they buff koromaru so he can be on my team forever

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
he can be on your team forever without any buffs if your gaming heart is strong enough, friend

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I used him all game and it was fine. Game is easy enough not to matter what comp you use.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah I feel like the Tartarus bosses that are actually difficult are going to give you trouble regardless of team composition and most of the rest of the game isn't difficult enough to force specific comps.

Like, my playthrough of the game I just used whoever was lowest-level at the time because of brain worms.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Ken and Koro are probably ditching Elec and Fire bc they're backporting Kouha and Eiha.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It seems like the gameplay will be so radically different that most old things like that won't apply.

Looking forward to it. Might be the last mainline Persona game I ever play if they never release 6. Maybe the plan is to wait so long that 3, 4, and 5 can plausibly be remade again for the PS7 or whatever. Repeat for the PS10.

In 200 years we'll be playing full immersion VR Persona 5.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

It seems like the gameplay will be so radically different that most old things like that won't apply.

Looking forward to it. Might be the last mainline Persona game I ever play if they never release 6. Maybe the plan is to wait so long that 3, 4, and 5 can plausibly be remade again for the PS7 or whatever. Repeat for the PS10.

In 200 years we'll be playing full immersion VR Persona 5.

dev cycles are getting longer and given their model of milking the poo poo out of every one i don't think they can afford a mainline persona game actually flopping, so given that between 4 and 5 was 8 years and they're clearly treating reload like a big deal they'll probably be putting out 6 in like, 2028 or something

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Koromaru was never unusable, he was just kind of redundant and his buff was worse than Junpei's. He had multitarget Agi though, so that was good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

"You know that 'Persona' game your grandparents are always raving about from their youth?

Well, it's coming back as a braindance, and with the characters and setting adapted to the present day. Since robots are now normal, Aigis is an alien. Dogs also went extinct decades ago, so Koromaru is now a dog-sized praying mantis."

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Junpei posted:

Ken and Koro are probably ditching Elec and Fire bc they're backporting Kouha and Eiha.

Koro will still keep Agi since Cerberus always had Fire resistance, unlike Nemesis/Kala-Nemi. His whole thing is being dual element since Junpei was... not very good at casting magic.

Anyway it's very likely we'll get some other way of teaching party members new skills besides levelling up. P4 had social links and bike rides, P5R had the jazz club.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah I wasn't sure how to integrate P3 into the current "Persona brand." Its setting is weirdly semi-futuristic. I feel like its current "brand" is geared towards more realistic settings (both P4 and P5 - which represent most of the modern series' history at this point - basically separate the "real world" and "fantasy" portions of their settings, with Personas only even being usable in their respective "other worlds").

This is actually something of a plot point in P4 Arena -- The way that game presents it, Evokers are required to summon Personas in the Real World, and when the P3 Crew enters the TV World, one of the first things they notice is that they're suddenly able to summon theirs so easily that they almost do it without conscious thought.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

that's very blatantly just so they don't have to animate the evokers in the fighting game

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I mean there's nothing stopping it from serving both purposes. Does make it funny when they do use them for their instant kills tho.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Arist posted:

that's very blatantly just so they don't have to animate the evokers in the fighting game

I mean, obviously that's the reasoning from a Game Design perspective, but that doesn't invalidate the fact that it was also brought up as a specific plot point as well. Game Design Decisions can be Plot Decisions too, two things can be true!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah they use their evokers for their Instant Kills so I don't think it's a modelling issue. They actually put a lot of effort into the model animations for that game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah they use their evokers for their Instant Kills so I don't think it's a modelling issue. They actually put a lot of effort into the model animations for that game.
OTOH I do think that the Instant Kill animations get to be a bit flashier than the animations for basic attacks, they probably didn't want the P3 cast pulling out their Evokers for every special move because in a fighting game it gets repetitive.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

There'll definitely be a persona 6

But will it be worth playing?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

the bigger question is what color will persona 6 be

green, orange, or purple

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Arist posted:

Koromaru was never unusable, he was just kind of redundant and his buff was worse than Junpei's. He had multitarget Agi though, so that was good.

It's been so incredibly long since I played p3 but that was basically how I remembered it, like koromaru isn't bad he's just outclassed by some of the other characters and for bosses I'd rather have the better characters.

ngl I'm pretty hype to play this 18 yr old game again and will happily pay full price

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Mix. posted:

green, orange, or purple

There was a lot of green hints in a lot of the persona series celebration material last year

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Mix. posted:

green, orange, or purple

A notable leaker once said "black and white". Of course, just a leak, not a confirmation

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Flair posted:

A notable leaker once said "black and white". Of course, just a leak, not a confirmation

Persona sin city? I'd play it

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Well hit Kingdom 2 in Tactica. It's not.. bad. The music is fantastic, and it looks stylish as hell. Just.. the gameplay is still lacking that that tactical depth. I appreciate the core message of "doing nothing in the face of injustice is complicity" though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Well hit Kingdom 2 in Tactica. It's not.. bad. The music is fantastic, and it looks stylish as hell. Just.. the gameplay is still lacking that that tactical depth. I appreciate the core message of "doing nothing in the face of injustice is complicity" though.

The game does start to pick up as it goes on. It's never going to be super complex but they at least add in more mechanics and wrinkles that you have to play around.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

i don't know when the 'akihiko has undiagnosed autism' headcanon started picking up steam in the fanbase but i love it now thank u

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

ImpAtom posted:

The game does start to pick up as it goes on. It's never going to be super complex but they at least add in more mechanics and wrinkles that you have to play around.

I hope so. That first boss was just godawful.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Mix. posted:

green, orange, or purple

Green is the one with the biggest contrast with the previous entries so it would be the most obvious choice.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

weve had a dog, bear, and cat, so the next will be a bunny

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Full versions of Iwatodai Dorm, Unavoidable Battle, Mass Destruction, and It's Going Down Now in this thread:

https://twitter.com/Persona_Central/status/1743565395905130532?t=Tc6LjrodSoda6TnLqNvF_w&s=19

The instrumentals are generally pretty weak here and they replaced the rapper on Iwatodai Dorm with Lotus Juice (because the other rap was from a CD they bought the rights to), but It's Going Down Now is still pretty good.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

is that the deliberately poo poo meme flute playing in the background

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

God the new music is soooo bad

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
why is it so low-energy? that is not the jarringly upbeat Iwatodai Dorm we know and love!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

God the new music is soooo bad

most of it is a bit worse than the original in a way that i will probably get used to fairly quickly but iwatodai dorm is bad even in a vacuum

they also changed the lyrics for some reason. i don't know if this was a copyright issue and they've been forced to make Legally Distinct Iwatodai Dorm and that's why it actually legitimately sucks as opposed to just being not as good as the original

it's coming out on pc though so i guess this poo poo will be modded back to the originals within like 2 hours of release, a mod which i will actually get just for this one song

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

AlphaKeny1 posted:

It's been so incredibly long since I played p3 but that was basically how I remembered it, like koromaru isn't bad he's just outclassed by some of the other characters and for bosses I'd rather have the better characters.

ngl I'm pretty hype to play this 18 yr old game again and will happily pay full price

Honestly P3 balance is kinda whack, because just about every character had notable flaws other than Yukari and Mitsuru.

Junpei lags from the middle of the game, and while he's a competent enough physical attacker and has a decent buff, he only shines on select days when Vorpal Blade peaks. Still your best physical character at the end of the game other than MC.

Akihiko has tons of utility but is also stuck doing all that utility by himself, has less SP than the dedicated mages, and learns zero physical skills to go with his solid Strength. Also poor Luck for whatever that matters in P3.

Koromaru's already detailed.

Aigis' learning curve is really, really bad. She's fine once she learns all her kit but she's practically a liability for most of Tartarus since she can't hit any weaknesses outside of the occasional physical-weak enemies (which everyone can take advantage of), and she has like a 25+ level gap between new offensive moves. If you're not running Junpei and/or Koromaru she's also like Akihiko where she's doing all the buffs by herself.

Ken is really just worse Yukari other than learning Mediarama earlier. Cruel Attack is nice and I guess Zionga/Ziodyne could come in handy but otherwise Yukari is better 90% of the time.

Shinjiro, lol. He would be good otherwise.

Yukari is pretty much a perfectly designed mage/healer other than not learning Wind Boost/Amp. She's squishy but not as much as Ken, her only other real flaw is that a lot of enemies pack Elec attacks.

Mitsuru is also pretty much a perfectly tailored mage with just enough utility that she's not a one-trick pony. She could do with improvements here and there but honestly her kit is about as good as you can expect of a P3 character.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yukari and Mitsuru also have major problems, though? Like, Yukari's AI is completely busted and she takes forever to learn her second-tier spells, and Mitsuru is constantly wasting turns on Marin Karin, Tentarafoo, and Mind Charge (Mind Charge being actively a waste of turns in most versions of 3 because the damage multiplier is 1.9x instead of 2.5 or even just 2x)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also Ken learns Mediarama at 51 and Yukari learns it at 43

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
well yeah if you play the inferior versions where you can't control party members instead of the glorified visual novel that adds the correct MC

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Well guess what I'm doing right now, because I'm very stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

well yeah if you play the inferior versions where you can't control party members instead of the glorified visual novel that adds the correct MC

FES has part control patches so that's not really a consideration if you're emulating.