Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Killer robot posted:

I think there's a significant number of westerners/anime fans who just know it as that book Dragon Ball was kinda cribbed from early on and Goku's a good kid, right?

Presumably if he didn't have his head trauma he'd be closer to the source material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, the monkey king is an infamous total loving poo poo. It's kind of his whole thing.

An awesome total loving poo poo, though. Going to Heaven to beat everyone up until the Buddha tricks him into pissing on his hand is a rad backstory.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

finally read the updated garou fight. loved it. the changes were all pretty good and kept the spirit of the original, while also cranking everything to 12. one issue tho is i feel the logic of actually throwing zero punches is probably more akin to beating watch for rolling rocks in x0.5 a presses.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Yeah, I wouldn't say that the Monkey King is a bad person, he's just deeply, deeply chaotic and way too powerful to suit the strict hierarchy of heaven.

Joke's on heaven, since it turns out that Monkey King is also Buddha.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Haystack posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't say that the Monkey King is a bad person, he's just deeply, deeply chaotic and way too powerful to suit the strict hierarchy of heaven.

Joke's on heaven, since it turns out that Monkey King is also Buddha.

He trashes heaven like at least twice because they disrespected him if I remember correctly. Stable boy is no place for him!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well the Monkey King also misbehaved when Heaven gave him a place there and he abused their trust and stole a bunch of stuff so he could be 60 fold immortal.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

and the reason his eyes are always red is because he got hotboxed.

his staff? He stole a pillar holding up the bottom of the ocean.

He once challenged some monks to a head chopping contest and made them go first.

He's an all round rear end in a top hat who's fun to read about, but no be around :v

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I believe he is only outright defeated and injured in combat once after starting the Journey. When he fights Lady Scorpion Demon who overpowers him and Piggy. Piggy is forced to drag him off in retreat after Wukong gets knocked out by poison.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 6, 2024

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Basically he's the prototypical furious dumbass

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I read a story years ago that I think was an excerpt from a bigger book (maybe Journey to the West?) where Buddha asks the Monkey King to show off by jumping as far as he can and writing his name down to show where he landed. The Monkey King does it three times and is super impressed with each jump, then Buddha opens his hand and reveals the Monkey King's name written three times on the palm? I remember thinking that was loving cool as hell.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I read a story years ago that I think was an excerpt from a bigger book (maybe Journey to the West?) where Buddha asks the Monkey King to show off by jumping as far as he can and writing his name down to show where he landed. The Monkey King does it three times and is super impressed with each jump, then Buddha opens his hand and reveals the Monkey King's name written three times on the palm? I remember thinking that was loving cool as hell.

hahah you must have read a sanitized version. He does mark his territory but does it in the way of a dog. :v

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ahaha, really? That's incredible.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
This is the version I grew up with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nY516Z0S_0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DRpYOHxEzA

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
One of the boasts Lady Scorpion gave about her being a badass was that even Buddha feared her. And this is true, cause she once attended one of Buddha’s readings in Scorpion form and stung his hand causing him great pain, after which she escaped any retaliation.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61nuXrvqNgI

is a good video series summarizing it

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.

Gologle posted:

Did that old man just pass off his enormously important mission of journeying to the west to attain enlightenment or some poo poo to a teenager?

The orb contained the Monkey King, but also cocaine. Kappa guy was this close to getting busted.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

If you do the math, the monkey king boasts about a super impressive jump distance... which is about equal to the circumference of the Earth, he jumped so far he ended up in the same place.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

If you do the math, the monkey king boasts about a super impressive jump distance... which is about equal to the circumference of the Earth, he jumped so far he ended up in the same place.

no he jumps to the end of the universe, it's just that the buddha being one with the universe still has him in his palm

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Elfgames posted:

no he jumps to the end of the universe, it's just that the buddha being one with the universe still has him in his palm

yeah the whole point of the metaphor is that no matter where Monkey King jumped to he'd still be unable to escape the universe he was in

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Looks like ONE's Bug Ego one shot is getting turned into a full series

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1747653123395535024

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Honestly....why
Unless they just take the premise it works much better as the oneshot.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i didn't like the one shot that much, and also this will almost certainly send the webcomic back on indefinite hiatus.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Bug Ego chapter 2 is out:

https://mangadex.org/chapter/1bc8ab3b-4ca8-44b3-ab49-f9fe5d770057

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

I enjoyed it! The dream poo poo was very hosed up. Great end too, pretty classic One gag.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Good night.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I didn't think this needed a follow up but I really enjoyed that, and it looks like there is a hook there for continuing stories.

Good night :shobon:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Good night.

And now back to OPM, new raws: https://tonarinoyj.jp/episode/10044607041234842720

Edit: Wow that's really gross

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Translation out: https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/P2F9TOS/1/1/

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo :stare:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Short chapter but yeah, looking forward to whatever's about to go down

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Wow, the dude made swords out of blood and entrails.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

This feels very 90s Image comics

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Man, we’ve been spoiled by ONE!

Within a single week we’ve gotten a new Bug Ego chapter, OPM webcomic chapter, OPM manga chapter, and just now a new Versus chapter…

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Darth TNT posted:

Wow, the dude made swords out of blood and entrails.

You need the blood of 600 adults to make one sword, let alone two.

Very unrealistic in my comic about heroes fighting abominable monsters. :colbert:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Donkringel posted:

You need the blood of 600 adults to make one sword, let alone two.

Very unrealistic in my comic about heroes fighting abominable monsters. :colbert:

That's if you limit yourself to blood. There's considerably more iron in the liver and marrow as well.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

There's about a gram of iron in a human body. Then again these guys are monsterized, so maybe they got more iron in them. Otherwise, that's a thousand dudes for 1 1 kg mass, which is like a rapier or 2 typical combat knives

Mr. Lobe fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 24, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

There's about a gram of iron in a human body. Then again these guys are monsterized, so maybe they got more iron in them. Otherwise, that's a thousand dudes for 1 1 kg mass, which is like a rapier or 2 typical combat knives

Are you saying Magneto lied to me?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If you're referring to the scene from the movie where he rips the guard's iron out of his blood, mystique specifically injected that dude with a little bit of extra metal for him to work with

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Babe Magnet posted:

If you're referring to the scene from the movie where he rips the guard's iron out of his blood, mystique specifically injected that dude with a little bit of extra metal for him to work with

I dont think I saw that movie but that'd be one hell of an injection to put a kilogram of iron in a human body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

I dont think I saw that movie but that'd be one hell of an injection to put a kilogram of iron in a human body