Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Ashcans posted:

You have lost access to some good gear/traders, but you should still be able to get to the ones in Moonrise and get stuff there. If you did not go through the Mountain Pass you can go back to it from the Shadowlands, as there is a good trader in the creche and also gear there if you murder everyone.

You shouldn't need to worry about the endgame, there are a ton of vendors and rewards once you reach Rivington and Baldur's Gate, if you're undergeared you should be able to equip up before you tackle the tough setpiece battles at the finale.

Happily by chance I got both upgrades for Karlach, letting her chow down in Drow Town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BizarroAzrael posted:

Happily by chance I got both upgrades for Karlach, letting her chow down in Drow Town.

Kind of a weird way to refer to the Karlach/Minthara romance but you do you

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Alrighty, another weird one:

Doing a new Honor Mode run, just because I wasn't happy with the way my first run went (everyone dead or gone!)

I was in the Zhentarim hideout and was clearing out the place, and fighting the second group near the locked treasure rooms at the back of the cave. One of the Zhents turned around and blew up an oil barrel that they were standing next to, killing not only themselves but also two of the wolves.

The game can be very amusing at times.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

why would you attack the zhents? just xp?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

grack posted:

Alrighty, another weird one:

Doing a new Honor Mode run, just because I wasn't happy with the way my first run went (everyone dead or gone!)

I was in the Zhentarim hideout and was clearing out the place, and fighting the second group near the locked treasure rooms at the back of the cave. One of the Zhents turned around and blew up an oil barrel that they were standing next to, killing not only themselves but also two of the wolves.

The game can be very amusing at times.
Gondian AI is spreading.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

pmchem posted:

They’re dicks. No one tells me I can’t open a box.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

bird with big dick posted:

<Opens box>
You're not the boss of me!
<Opens flask inside box>
OUCH

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

my PC is a Sovereign Citizen, laws do not apply to me.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

pmchem posted:

I already bought all the stuff from the trader and they have some interesting loot

Also I like to kill things.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

bird with big dick posted:

I had the goofiest outcome to the whole thing. I saved the two guys in the cave from the gnolls, but then stupidly used Detect Thoughts when talking to them and they freaked out and attacked me. So I had to murder them, but it was after they had given me the pass phrase for the hideout. So I opened the box, took the stuff with me, and when the Zhent asked about their pals I said 'Oh yea sorry they didn't make it, but I did save your package!' Only then they freaked out about not keeping it sealed up and attacked me! No one told me buddy, I am trying to be helpful here! So anyway then I had to kill them all, which was a mess. Oh well.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Is there anything later about why they were transporting thst cargo, or who it was for, or anything? I think I missed all that.

lost old man
Nov 4, 2009

I AM HUNGER.
I FEED.
Co-op’ing with a friend of mine and he attacked and killed the zhents too because they’re “evil thieves” and “gently caress these assholes.” He does this every time he comes across an npc he doesn’t like. We’re constantly fighting people who are either just minding their own business or they offer a quest that sounds like a crime and he’s like “nope, I don’t do quests for evil people.” He pouted for an hour because the hag got away after the fight and he didn’t get to kill her outright. He yelled at me for doing the boots quest in the underdark and accused me of “siding with slavers” even though doing the quest and then killing them are not mutually exclusive.

Neither of us have finished act 1 and have no idea what’s going to happen later on. I keep trying to tell him that removing npcs from the game is probably cutting us off from good items or story bits but he doesn’t care. I know there’s no “wrong” way to play this game but it’s all very unsatisfying. Maybe we should have done solo games first?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

lost old man posted:

Co-op’ing with a friend of mine and he attacked and killed the zhents too because they’re “evil thieves” and “gently caress these assholes.” He does this every time he comes across an npc he doesn’t like. We’re constantly fighting people who are either just minding their own business or they offer a quest that sounds like a crime and he’s like “nope, I don’t do quests for evil people.” He pouted for an hour because the hag got away after the fight and he didn’t get to kill her outright. He yelled at me for doing the boots quest in the underdark and accused me of “siding with slavers” even though doing the quest and then killing them are not mutually exclusive.

Neither of us have finished act 1 and have no idea what’s going to happen later on. I keep trying to tell him that removing npcs from the game is probably cutting us off from good items or story bits but he doesn’t care. I know there’s no “wrong” way to play this game but it’s all very unsatisfying. Maybe we should have done solo games first?

your friend's a weird dick and you should cut and do a solo run so you can actually enjoy one of the greatest CRPGs ever

grack
Jan 10, 2012

OzFactor posted:

Is there anything later about why they were transporting thst cargo, or who it was for, or anything? I think I missed all that.

If you give them the unopened chest you can find the item inside on a Zhentarim enemy in Act 3.

Alternatively, you can give the Zhentarim leader the chest and get all the rewards, and then kill them all and take it back.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ashcans posted:

I had the goofiest outcome to the whole thing. I saved the two guys in the cave from the gnolls, but then stupidly used Detect Thoughts when talking to them and they freaked out and attacked me. So I had to murder them, but it was after they had given me the pass phrase for the hideout. So I opened the box, took the stuff with me, and when the Zhent asked about their pals I said 'Oh yea sorry they didn't make it, but I did save your package!' Only then they freaked out about not keeping it sealed up and attacked me! No one told me buddy, I am trying to be helpful here! So anyway then I had to kill them all, which was a mess. Oh well.
Picturing a Beholder playing Yakkity Sax

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Only one npc truly deserves murderhoboing and it's the one that wants to beat your dog

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

After another disappointing level-up, I kinda want to spec shadowheart out of her trickery domain. Could someone who is good at d&d lore tell me, which other domain makes the most “sense” for her Shar-ness? Thx

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

Jay Rust posted:

After another disappointing level-up, I kinda want to spec shadowheart out of her trickery domain. Could someone who is good at d&d lore tell me, which other domain makes the most “sense” for her Shar-ness? Thx

The only one I can think is knowledge cleric focusing on her holding on to secret knowledge of the gods. Of course, she has some (early game spoilers about Shadowheart) significant amnesia, so that's up to you. I can't really see any other lore friendly choice. Light is very good mechanically!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jay Rust posted:

In the various editions of the forgotten realms:

Darkness, evil, knowledge, trickery, death

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

socialsecurity posted:

Only one npc truly deserves murderhoboing and it's the one that wants to beat your dog
I have tried Bethesda Evil and nothing quite made me feel like a monster like surrendering Scratch. Fastest quickload of my life followed by “you touch ANY of these dogs and there won’t be enough left to sell to Raphael”.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Selune's the D&D god of the moon and stars yet doesn't get light as a domain.

?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Tell them this isn’t the playthrough you were hoping for and find a faster paced less consequential game to play with that person. Playing this game worrying about which quest giver is about to die for absolutely nothing is surprisingly stressful.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Shumagorath posted:

I have tried Bethesda Evil and nothing quite made me feel like a monster like surrendering Scratch. Fastest quickload of my life followed by “you touch ANY of these dogs and there won’t be enough left to sell to Raphael”.

I think evil in this game ultimately feels less satisfying because you potentially just wipeout a shitton of characters and get basically nothing in return except for lolth drow mommy and miss out on later content involving NPCs that no longer exist.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
What kind of loot do the zhents have anyways? I never did murder all of them.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Professor Beetus posted:

I think evil in this game ultimately feels less satisfying because you potentially just wipeout a shitton of characters and get basically nothing in return except for lolth drow mommy and miss out on later content involving NPCs that no longer exist.
“Evil is not rewarding” is a good indicator for any RPG if you ask me.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Can anybody think of something that would cause a warlock's Mage Armor (from Armor of Shadows) to spontaneously fall off? A friend is getting pissed that theirs keeps falling off and they don't notice until a fight has started, and they insist they cast it first thing after every long rest and they're not wearing armor. I'm at a loss to explain what might be happening.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Thundarr posted:

Can anybody think of something that would cause a warlock's Mage Armor (from Armor of Shadows) to spontaneously fall off? A friend is getting pissed that theirs keeps falling off and they don't notice until a fight has started, and they insist they cast it first thing after every long rest and they're not wearing armor. I'm at a loss to explain what might be happening.

Are they sure they aren't wearing armor? Remember that armor isn't just the chest piece. If they're wearing medium armor boots etc that would also cause the armor to drop.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Thundarr posted:

Can anybody think of something that would cause a warlock's Mage Armor (from Armor of Shadows) to spontaneously fall off?
It is an exceptionally horny game...?

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Typo posted:

yeah never use friends unless you are ready to fight the person you are charming lol

I know this is an older post, but this only happens if you stick around and the spell wears off. it's a super op spell and should be in every group tbh

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ginette Reno posted:

Are they sure they aren't wearing armor? Remember that armor isn't just the chest piece. If they're wearing medium armor boots etc that would also cause the armor to drop.

I had them send me a screenshot of the gear to verify, and it looks like Bracers of Defense / Bonespike Boots / Circlet of Psionic Revenge / Potent Robe. So nothing that should block Mage Armor.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Obligatum VII posted:

What kind of loot do the zhents have anyways? I never did murder all of them.

if you give them the chest without opening it (you can still obtain the chest in act 3 so there is no loss here) you get access to some special loot, which includes a pair of gloves that gives you advantage on sleight of hands, a bow that scales off str instead of dex, and early access to generic rare +1 gear. it's very much worth doing, even if you're just gonna kill them after.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Tonetta posted:

if you give them the chest without opening it (you can still obtain the chest in act 3 so there is no loss here) you get access to some special loot, which includes a pair of gloves that gives you advantage on sleight of hands, a bow that scales off str instead of dex, and early access to generic rare +1 gear. it's very much worth doing, even if you're just gonna kill them after.

I meant what happens if you DO kill them loot-wise. I always just delivered the thing.

They have anything actually interesting in those heavily defended back rooms?

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Obligatum VII posted:

I meant what happens if you DO kill them loot-wise. I always just delivered the thing.

there's an entrance to the underdark back there, that's about it. I'm pretty sure you get access to it if you deliver the box unopened. it comes out in the area southeast where there's some bombs next to a net which someone always seems to trigger, preventing most players from exploring it from the other end.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Tonetta posted:

The bow doesn’t scale of str instead of dex; it adds your str bonus to damage in addition to your dex. It’s Tavern Brawler: Bow edition.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
If you don't babysit Ketheric's ego by not smacking him down turn two while someone has fear they are feared forever lmao

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

pmchem posted:

They attacked me even though I thoughtfully handed over the flask they wanted me to get when I already had it in my possession. "You've killed us all! We're taking you with us!" I still don't have any context for it but what bloody drama queens. They were half right though.

E: they're also literally slavers?

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 6, 2024

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Obligatum VII posted:

You can loot those rooms without killing anyone. There's good money, infernal iron and some "very rare" grade summoner gloves.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

If you don't babysit Ketheric's ego by not smacking him down turn two while someone has fear they are feared forever lmao

Calm emotions should fix it

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I killed the Zhent Graceful Cloth does the job for me. Convert undesirables into xp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Tonetta posted:

there's an entrance to the underdark back there, that's about it. I'm pretty sure you get access to it if you deliver the box unopened. it comes out in the area southeast where there's some bombs next to a net which someone always seems to trigger, preventing most players from exploring it from the other end.

There’s some shrooms you can jump up