Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Arkanian
Sep 18, 2013

Clarste posted:

Speaking of immortal isekai stories, there's a villainess reincarnation webtoon called The Vampire's Plans to Die in Peace, which is about a girl who reincarnates as an immortal vampire queen, the antagonist of a novel she read. Except she reincarnates about a thousand years before the events of the story, and also she originally died from committing suicide and considers being immortal now some kind of sick joke for a person who wants to die. So her only goal is to die, and the only way she can die is to be killed by the holy sword wielded by the hero, so she spends a thousand years manipulating things behind the scenes to set up the circumstances of her own death. Except less painfully this time, hopefully.

According to comments where I've been reading it, the stuff from chapter 52 onward is not from the original novel, and it's very possible they're just speeding to the final confrontation because the adaptation's getting axed. Which is unfortunate, because the stuff up until then was pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

New chapter of 'Captain Corinth: The Galactic Navy Officer Becomes an Adventurer' dropped

https://mangadex.org/title/48221bce-0fd2-4519-b5f3-4fdc1921007b/kouchuugun-shikan-boukensha-ni-naru

Finally getting to see the city and castle the ship's AI has been working on in the demon forest and as expected, its awesome

I decided to re-read this and I found my other gripe with it

EVERYONE LOOKS ANGRY AND FROWNS ALL THE TIME.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think they're not smiling because post panels are focused on people that're the villains of the story or the characters are in situations that tend to grind down on any optimism.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Just read it upside down.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah I like that manga but it has some issues with character design. The sci-fi tech stuff looks awesome though.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
New reverse isekai popped up. The Sado life of Rosé the Witch

A witch, who just wants to help people but gets hated regardless, transports herself from her world to Sado island in Japan.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I can’t remember which isekai thread talks about this but

https://x.com/yenpress/status/1743321468958650724?s=46&t=X6-Ut4Z5gjBZ_q10eeG_mg

Hey an official localization

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
A bit of a doubletake about "subtext" until I realized it was talking about between the protagonists.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 5, 2024

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

:hellyeah:

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

thetoughestbean posted:

Phew not crunchyroll

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I'll Become a Villainess Who Will Go Down in History

The villainess gives some healthy relationship advice.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Hero's Party wants to experience love
This story really shows the logical conclusion of what happens when an entire generation is raised on wish-fulfillment isekai stories. But I'm glad the mage isn't completely anti-social outside of his group.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a few chapters of is it odd that I became an adventurer after graduating from the magic academy?

we finally learn the downfall of the ancient civilization: monogamy

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Elfface posted:

I'll Become a Villainess Who Will Go Down in History

The villainess gives some healthy relationship advice.

I like the eye patch.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Somebody dumped a bunch of chapters of Parallel World Pharmacy and now we're getting to some of the juicy stuff in the lore and story.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I like the eye patch.

She magically gave one of her eyes to a blind dude and now she looks even more badass

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Last two chapters of SSS Class Revival Hunter Have been the story banging away on all cylinders. Using the effect of another Apostle to overcome the limitation of the Hungry Ghost skill is fantastic, I'm looking forward to seeing the Heavenly Demon martial artists finally able to cut loose. Using pain to overcome the Lady Goldenrod's physical invulnerability rings the same as the Giantess Isekai for how Hinako defeated Junko. I just hope we can see the Inquisitor go all out as well because his power is absolutely broken given he can borrow the power of any God whose name he knows. All of this is making slogging through the mushy romance stuff worth it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lol at the part where the manga protagonist owns the game protagonist with Facts and Logic by explaining that actually apartheid is necessary because otherwise the oppressed people will go on a rampage.

(I don't think the author is actually aware of the real-world analogues to what they were arguing there)

edit: I do give this manga credit for actually having the "villainess" protagonist be rude towards other people. A lot of these stories just have the protagonist be nice, everyone quickly start liking them, and then they're constantly still worried that they'll suddenly face a terrible end even though everyone is already friends with them.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 12, 2024

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ytlaya posted:

lol at the part where the manga protagonist owns the game protagonist with Facts and Logic by explaining that actually apartheid is necessary because otherwise the oppressed people will go on a rampage.

(I don't think the author is actually aware of the real-world analogues to what they were arguing there)

edit: I do give this manga credit for actually having the "villainess" protagonist be rude towards other people. A lot of these stories just have the protagonist be nice, everyone quickly start liking them, and then they're constantly still worried that they'll suddenly face a terrible end even though everyone is already friends with them.

Yeah that weirded me out to, same with the fact that a lot of the heroine's proposals don't seem...bad? Like they wont fix things immediately, but there's definitely some stuff about helping the poor and lower/middle class and what not. This kind of crops up in few other series and it kind if nags on me a good bit as well as other issues I notice.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

doomrider7 posted:

Yeah that weirded me out to, same with the fact that a lot of the heroine's proposals don't seem...bad? Like they wont fix things immediately, but there's definitely some stuff about helping the poor and lower/middle class and what not. This kind of crops up in few other series and it kind if nags on me a good bit as well as other issues I notice.

The kind of frustrating thing about that part is that you can definitely criticize someone for just spitting out platitudes and literally having no clear ideas of how to facilitate the change in question. But "remove the barrier around this settlement" is a very clear and straight-forward demand (and basically the only specific thing that other-protagonist mentioned), while the protagonist's objection was basically a bunch of muddying the waters about how "complicated" it is.

I also couldn't figure out what point the protagonist was trying to make when she was making some sort of confused argument against egalitarianism. Something about how we should "value hard work"? She makes the valid point that other-protagonist is, functionally, incredibly privileged, but it's not clear how that connects to her broader argument. If anything, it seems to support other-protagonist's argument more! To be fair, both protagonists at least seem to explicitly oppose the existence of nobility, even if the main protagonist does so in a weird wishy-washy way. That's more than you usually get from stories like this, that just sort of assume the nobility is inherently justified.

I find that a lot of the time when political topics show up in manga they tend to adopt what I can best describe as a sort of "oblivious right-wing sentiment." It's like if you removed the partisan elements from US politics and just had everyone adopting a set of right-wing assumptions/truisms as "common sense" without even being aware that they're right-wing (whereas in the US people tend to adopt these truisms in an explicitly partisan context, where they're fully aware that they're trying to "own the libs"). Which I guess sorta makes sense given Japan has spent most of its post-war existence dominated by a single center-right political party.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ytlaya posted:

The kind of frustrating thing about that part is that you can definitely criticize someone for just spitting out platitudes and literally having no clear ideas of how to facilitate the change in question. But "remove the barrier around this settlement" is a very clear and straight-forward demand (and basically the only specific thing that other-protagonist mentioned), while the protagonist's objection was basically a bunch of muddying the waters about how "complicated" it is.

I also couldn't figure out what point the protagonist was trying to make when she was making some sort of confused argument against egalitarianism. Something about how we should "value hard work"? She makes the valid point that other-protagonist is, functionally, incredibly privileged, but it's not clear how that connects to her broader argument. If anything, it seems to support other-protagonist's argument more! To be fair, both protagonists at least seem to explicitly oppose the existence of nobility, even if the main protagonist does so in a weird wishy-washy way. That's more than you usually get from stories like this, that just sort of assume the nobility is inherently justified.

I find that a lot of the time when political topics show up in manga they tend to adopt what I can best describe as a sort of "oblivious right-wing sentiment." It's like if you removed the partisan elements from US politics and just had everyone adopting a set of right-wing assumptions/truisms as "common sense" without even being aware that they're right-wing (whereas in the US people tend to adopt these truisms in an explicitly partisan context, where they're fully aware that they're trying to "own the libs"). Which I guess sorta makes sense given Japan has spent most of its post-war existence dominated by a single center-right political party.

I KIND OF get the one about egalitarianism or at very least I think she was going for the idea that some people will just be more talented, more hard working, or privileged or SOMETHING, but still feels...wrong or something(can't quite find the word). This actually goes into a broader issue with some these "YAS QUEEN" type of Villainess isekai and adjacents in that the MC is not only ever not wrong, but her adversaries have a sort of almost comical ineptness to them and the solution is to eventually come around to the MC's views or get crushed in the way. Granted this is an issue with drat near all of them, but more so in some than others. I started noticing it a lot in that one, One Within the Villainess, Accomplishments of a Duke's Daughter, and Father is a Hero Mother is the Spirit Queen and I'm a Reincarnator. Some do it things better than others with the last one in my opinion having the most issues.

It's hard for me to quite properly parse my thoughts on these.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
It's a problem with isekais in general, that they just carry a lot of cultural baggage and that's just a part of it. In general the worldbuilding seems fairly secondary to how the protagonist relates to, fits into, or reshapes that world. It's almost kind of solipsistic in outlook, and I think someone could natter for days about how it reflects dissatisfaction with the state of the world as it exists. It's easy to see how poo poo our world is and long for a "better" one, or one where we feel more in control, but few people are truly prepared to wrestle their own biases. So it becomes another thing you don't question, like why all these ersatz Medieval-European settings always have Japanese-style hot springs, or why nobody thought to make coffee or chocolate before (when theses plant exist in their current state precisely because of thousands of generations of selective breeding and cultivation), or what the toilet sitch is like. And don't get me started on why nobody ever seems to have a complete existential breakdown and question the nature of reality itself if they find themselves in a video game world.

These are all narrative conveniences, because many are ultimately escapism/wish fulfillment, and treated as such. I guess the key is not to think about it too much and just find a concept you click with.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 12, 2024

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I can sometimes give a pass to "we have rice, but nobody ever thought to make mochi" or whatever when I think about how, in our own world, we didn't develop fuel-air explosives until the mid-1900's when we could possibly have created them 800 years earlier. Or the hundreds of years that everyone was convinced tomatoes were poisonous. Or cultural pork restrictions. Sometimes people just have their own conceptions and/or miss things.

Now I'm thinking of an isekai character entering a world where halal is a concept and trying to convince people to eat bacon.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Mirage posted:

Now I'm thinking of an isekai character entering a world where halal is a concept and trying to convince people to eat bacon.

This is just a Japanese salaryman going to Malaysia.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mirage posted:

I can sometimes give a pass to "we have rice, but nobody ever thought to make mochi" or whatever when I think about how, in our own world, we didn't develop fuel-air explosives until the mid-1900's when we could possibly have created them 800 years earlier. Or the hundreds of years that everyone was convinced tomatoes were poisonous. Or cultural pork restrictions. Sometimes people just have their own conceptions and/or miss things.

Having watched enough food history videos I can totally buy the food stuff. It's not like today how a bad case of food poisoning will at worse land you in the ER for a couple of hours, back then it could kill off an entire family or wipe a small village if yoi ate the wrong thing leading to a lack of experimentation. Salt amd smoking are one's that are 100% BS though. People have been using that poo poo to preserve food since before writing was a thing.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

doomrider7 posted:

Having watched enough food history videos I can totally buy the food stuff. It's not like today how a bad case of food poisoning will at worse land you in the ER for a couple of hours, back then it could kill off an entire family or wipe a small village if yoi ate the wrong thing leading to a lack of experimentation. Salt amd smoking are one's that are 100% BS though. People have been using that poo poo to preserve food since before writing was a thing.

The other fact is we are used to food controls throughout the entire food production. Botulism is not a honey only thing, it can happen to any product that isn't sterilized which would be about anything not a beer or booze.

The biggest concern would be diphtheria which ,when read about it, is the plague for children.

If it hits your community, you are going to lose about 40% of all children/ babies at minimum. It's not might lose, it's you are going to make a mass grave site.

I mean look at this:

https://coverage.bluecrossma.com/article/life-vaccines-diphtheria posted:

One of the most massive epidemics to hit New England was The Great Throat Distemper of 1735-1740, according to the New England Historical Society. It mostly claimed the lives of children, and only took about three days to cause death.

“In Ipswich, all eight children in the household of Mark and Hephzibah How died during the month of November 1735,” according to the Historical Society. “A neighbor family also reported losing all eight children. As many as four children were buried in a single grave, a fact that was noted in newspapers as far away as New York.”

The vaccine was made in 1920 but before that it was basically accepted there are some kids that just won't make it.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
There's a trashy sort of enjoyment in the stories where the natives are just ultra stupid though. "You mean, you can tame horses and use them to pull carts? YOU ARE OUR GOD!"

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Mirage posted:

There's a trashy sort of enjoyment in the stories where the natives are just ultra stupid though. "You mean, you can tame horses and use them to pull carts? YOU ARE OUR GOD!"

I like that one two where people in the world can't cook.

Edit: just remembered there are two. One is set in a feudal time where they know how to cook but the only seasonings they use is just pepper and salt. The other is they eat everything raw set in the middle of a plains.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 12, 2024

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Yeah I remember one where a chef gets isekaid and people are like "Food? You mean the horrible stuff we have to shove into our faces twice a day to stay alive?"

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

EVIL Gibson posted:

I like that one two where people in the world can't cook.

Edit: just remembered there are two. One is set in a feudal time where they know how to cook but the only seasonings they use is just pepper and salt. The other is they eat everything raw set in the middle of a plains.

The former I can understand, but the latter was just dumb. If I recall, he had to convince the chief it was good under penalty if death.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Spanish Matlock posted:

Yeah I remember one where a chef gets isekaid and people are like "Food? You mean the horrible stuff we have to shove into our faces twice a day to stay alive?"

'Ratatouille in a Soylent Universe'

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Yeah, and like I said, I can buy into anything in the service of a good story/setting. The doctor isekai one where he cured vampirism with tortillas was a funny one when you think about just how much human interference went into making corn the way it is and how long nixtamalization has been known about, but who cares, it was a funny, charming, and educational story! It does kind of stretch credulity a bit that they only ever had one food and never once experimented with it or even tried to eat it any other way, but whatever. Maybe their ancestors just liked being goth and it kind of snowballed from there.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

The former I can understand, but the latter was just dumb. If I recall, he had to convince the chief it was good under penalty if death.

I think it was something like "wasting food is punishable by death, so if the chief thinks you've made something inedible that's wasting food, and therefore..."

which was dumb, because they were already basically eating raw turdgrubs and handfuls of crapgrass or whatever anyway, and I think the idea of "flavor" was supposed to be foreign to them? so who gives a poo poo if somebody sautees the turdgrubs and makes a crapgrass soup

read to me like the chief was just an old rear end in a top hat who hated change and liked chopping heads but idk, I didn't read much of it lol

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean, if I had no idea what cooking was and someone said he wanted to apply fire to my food, I would probably assume that there was a large risk of him just burning it all into inedible ash. Like, you have no concept of what sauteeing is so you'd just think of it as a binary between "unburnt" and "burnt"?

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Ok, but the soup ...

Yeah fair point, dammit

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My issue with the specific manga I was commenting on is that it actually is choosing to get "explicitly political." Which is distinct from the more common "various biases passively present in a setting" situation (which is much essier to overlook). It literally has the protagonist debating with another character about why you shouldn't remove the magical barrier keeping the people of this poor village imprisoned. It then shows a villager (who the protagonist saved, from the poor village) employed by the protagonist informing her of the results of a survey she requested - the results are "yes, the villagers will go on a violent rampage if the barrier is removed."

It leaves me wondering where exactly this Japanese mangaka (or writer if it's based off a WN or something) picked up apartheid South Africa/Israel's pro-apartheid arguments.

Edit: And this same protagonist explicitly acknowledges that she was born into good fortune (as a noble) and hasn't earned or deserved her wealth and influence. But...she still thinks she has the right to decide whether the people of this village are kept imprisoned? Why does she think she (and the kingdom's nobility/royalty in general) have the right to decide things for this village? It directly contradicts her own arguments!

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 13, 2024

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I forget that the name of the isekai about the guy adopting the two kids of the water god is called but it's annoying how much of it is him bringing new food ideas in versus the five year olds punting monsters

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ytlaya posted:

My issue with the specific manga I was commenting on is that it actually is choosing to get "explicitly political." Which is distinct from the more common "various biases passively present in a setting" situation (which is much essier to overlook). It literally has the protagonist debating with another character about why you shouldn't remove the magical barrier keeping the people of this poor village imprisoned. It then shows a villager (who the protagonist saved, from the poor village) employed by the protagonist informing her of the results of a survey she requested - the results are "yes, the villagers will go on a violent rampage if the barrier is removed."

It leaves me wondering where exactly this Japanese mangaka (or writer if it's based off a WN or something) picked up apartheid South Africa/Israel's pro-apartheid arguments.

Edit: And this same protagonist explicitly acknowledges that she was born into good fortune (as a noble) and hasn't earned or deserved her wealth and influence. But...she still thinks she has the right to decide whether the people of this village are kept imprisoned? Why does she think she (and the kingdom's nobility/royalty in general) have the right to decide things for this village? It directly contradicts her own arguments!

If I recall, the reason the villagers will go on rampage is do to righteous anger at the nobles or at least, that was one of my readings of it. Legitimately not sure what we're supposed to take from that since I still think you should remove the barrier and simply setup security check points and social as well as financial assistance to help them integrate into society again.

There's more, but it's more akin to a general one where a lot of these villainess stories veer uncomfortably into some Shield Hero territory where there's always a woman who's sole purpose is to exist as a negative contrast to the MC and meets some dire fate.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
it's not apartheid it's a penal colony full of convicts, and it's all machine translated past chapter 3 so complicated dialogue may not even be even accurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Swilo posted:

it's not apartheid it's a penal colony full of convicts, and it's all machine translated past chapter 3 so complicated dialogue may not even be even accurate

That would explain things more. I know about the place being a penal colony, but the issue is that it's also including the children of the convicts down the generations(or at least, that's how I understood it).