Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Cerebro did an episode on Juggernaut recently. His stories tend to focus either on wanting revenge against Xavier, doing crimes with/for his boyfriend... er, I mean, "partner" Black Tom, getting drawn into fights he has no actual interest in (see the bar fight, any Dr. Strange crossover, and that time he thought he killed Dazzler), or lately trying to find a place for himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Ah, I fondly recall the time Dazzler saw him in Scotland, thought he was up to no good and tried to KO him only to pass out herself. He thought he'd killed her, buried her respectfully because he was actually a fan, then the rest of the team showed up and they ended up wrecking Edinburgh together, good times.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm not gonna sugarcoat it, I'm probably going to go back to not reading X-Men comics once the Krakoa era is fully done with. I was really into the status quo change up and now that all the toys are going back into the box I'm back to not really giving a drat. Yet another common Marvel L

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i will read the comics i like and not read the comics i don't

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i will read the comics i like and not read the comics i don't

hell, thats what i've been doin

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Afaik we don't even know what the post krakoa landscape is other than, is not krakoa, so I'm not ready to be pre emptively mad yet

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I'm waiting to see what the creative teams are.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For sure. Would you have liked the Krakoa era to last a couple more years, and/or have these writers last more years? Do you feel like it'll be satisfying to drop a lot of the stuff or is it in a good spot, say character wise etc?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Post-Krakoa Australian era

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Like the only hint we've had was the shot in Timeless of Magneto in Xavier's old hover chair and Cyclops is one of the characters in silhouette.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Gologle posted:

Get the person who wrote the horny all girls title back, I'm ready for more cheesecake in my X

Give us an X-Terminators ongoing cowards

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I'm optimistic for the post-Krakoa status quo (although even this seems a bit of a hard line, I'd expect that the next era follows up heavily on this one, I'd be surprised if it's literally just back at the mansion) as long as they stick to the same formula they've been doing creatively: a strong cohesiveness to the line overall, an emphasis on bringing in new talent and voices, and letting the books run for more than 12 god drat issues.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

site posted:

Afaik we don't even know what the post krakoa landscape is other than, is not krakoa, so I'm not ready to be pre emptively mad yet

I will never not be preemptively mad. If you're constantly disappointed you can never be disappointed

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Codependent Poster posted:

Like the only hint we've had was the shot in Timeless of Magneto in Xavier's old hover chair and Cyclops is one of the characters in silhouette.

And the Age of Apocalypse style X-Men logo tease.

If they do go back to the mansion, having Cyclops and Magneto there could be interesting since they were on the other coast for the longest time.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Krakoa and everything that entails is an awfully big toy to put back in the toybox so I can't imagine it'll be entirely like it never existed. Selfishly I'd at least like Arakko to stick because everything built up there was really cool and having a planet in the solar system to do cosmic marvel stuff on and not get interrupted by every superhero seems like a decent tool for stories in the future.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Open Marriage Night posted:

And the Age of Apocalypse style X-Men logo tease.

If they do go back to the mansion, having Cyclops and Magneto there could be interesting since they were on the other coast for the longest time.

They said they were going to reveal more about that in November and nothing ever came of it. I'm thinking that whatever that was supposed to be has been dropped.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Hearing Marvel wanted Jim Lee to take over the X-Books (granted, this was in a rumor stated by The Rob) does not instill a lot of faith in me for the post-Krakoan era

Gail Simone has been kinda 50/50 for me, so I'm not giving up all hope or anything, but expectations are lowering at a steady pace

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Hearing Marvel wanted Jim Lee to take over the X-Books (granted, this was in a rumor stated by The Rob) does not instill a lot of faith in me for the post-Krakoan era

Gail Simone has been kinda 50/50 for me, so I'm not giving up all hope or anything, but expectations are lowering at a steady pace

Isn't Jim Lee still a top level guy at DC?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Air Skwirl posted:

Isn't Jim Lee still a top level guy at DC?

He is currently president of Dc Comics and got that job in early 2023

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
why the gently caress would you believe anything Liefeld said?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ryan Ottley was at Marvel, and they let him go! They bleeeeew it. Plus he is the Michelangelo of drawing redheads, could be useful.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
New team on the main book, Chuck Austen and Greg Land.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i heard a rumor from frank miller on instagram that they're putting john byrne in charge of the xmen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Joe Fisto posted:

New team on the main book, Chuck Austen and Greg Land.
From surrounding posts I figure this is a joke, and I'd really prefer to never read anything with "art" by Greg Land ever again, but I don't know the deal with Chuck Austen. Is he also terrible? What would one know and dislike him for?

I also read the chronological HoXPoX book last night, it was a neat way to reread the whole thing but (as the preface states) it would be a bad way for anyone to first experience it. The original run of HoXPoX is intentionally confusing and that shouldn't be lost, the chronological one makes it a bit easier to understand what was going on. Also a nice little reminder before reading the first Fall of the House of X issue, which was... fine, I guess? It felt kinda rushed somehow.

I'm gonna miss the Krakoan era and really think it's a poorly conceived move to end it when there's still so much that could be explored in it, but it's worth noting that Hickman originally planned to end it way earlier than this. It only kept going as long as it did because creators wanted to explore it more (if I remember correctly, I think this was brought up when he was on Jay and Miles). I do suspect that the end it's facing now is more due to editorial mandate than creators wanting it to be over, though.

Hopefully the post-Krakoa era will be more interesting than just a return to business as usual. Just as a bit of brainstorming, I could see the following things making sense:
- General sentiment post-Krakoa is mostly anti-mutant, with some people still being on their side - like, maybe a 80-20 split or something. I'd expect the average human civilian to have a strong opinion one way or the other for a while.
- Surviving mutants are divided on what to do next. Some cling to the Krakoan dream, some accept that it's failed and they'll have to live as a minority group once more, and some become or return to being radical mutant supremacists.
- Xavier gets into his own guilt and exiles himself or fakes his death or something, typical Xavier poo poo.
- Some of Xavier's closest students try to reopen the school, ideally in a different place and a different manner than pre-Krakoa. There's no way the X-Mansion would be anything but a giant target so returning there would be idiotic imo.
- Orchis either dissolves completely or shrinks into the shadows, with some of its main actors remaining as recurring antagonists.
- Arakko mutants probably don't get to keep control of the planet, but hopefully at least get to keep sovereignty of some kind. Maybe they get shunted into some corner of Shi'ar space.
- Comedy option: Moira resets the timeline and none of this ever happened.

I kinda hope I'm wrong about all of that because I'd like to be surprised (unless the surprise is "we're just gonna pretend Krakoa never happened", I don't want that). If the school reopens in some form I really hope it's reminiscent of the Wolverine and the X-Men run, that was excellent.

Woebin fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jan 6, 2024

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Krakoa Jr never turned up. :(

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Do they still have that island on a Shi'ar planet or something? Put the school there, where mutant haters will really have to work for it to go commit murders, and incidentally start a war with the Shi'ar empire. That'll fuckin' learn 'em

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Has it ever been explained how Professor X could afford a mansion in the first place? Or how it’s been able to be rebuilt so many times?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Has it ever been explained how Professor X could afford a mansion in the first place? Or how it’s been able to be rebuilt so many times?

The mansion is just his childhood home so he comes from money originally, and there's enough super-rich people in his orbit (Warren, Emma, etc.) that it's never an issue, presumably.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's old money and then there's dozens of supersonic passenger jets money. realistically, xavier makes money using telepathy. it's easy for him and it doesn't hurt anyone. he's done much more questionable things over the years.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

highly lucrative shiar tech imports

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Woebin posted:

From surrounding posts I figure this is a joke, and I'd really prefer to never read anything with "art" by Greg Land ever again, but I don't know the deal with Chuck Austen. Is he also terrible? What would one know and dislike him for?

If you've ever heard about shockingly bad X-Men stories in the 00's like "A mutant-hating church tried to make Kurt the new Pope with an image inducer, before revealing that the new Pope is a blue-furred devil mutant turning all of humanity against mutant" or "Mystique actually boned a demon and that's Kurt's real dad" chances are Austen wrote them.

I think both stories have been mostly retconned away now.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The Austen run is really interesting to me because tonally it is such a perfect fit for X-Men. It's got a huge cast, really soapy, it's terminally horny. You've got some inspired ideas like the aforementioned Juggernaut joining the team. And somehow it just sucks.

I do have a major soft spot for it, though; the prequel issue of The Draco was the first comic I bought with my own money.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Warren has sex with Paige, who is either still a teenager or barely out of her teens, right in front of her entire family.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

In the air. Directly above Mama Guthrie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

If you've ever heard about shockingly bad X-Men stories in the 00's like "A mutant-hating church tried to make Kurt the new Pope with an image inducer, before revealing that the new Pope is a blue-furred devil mutant turning all of humanity against mutant" or "Mystique actually boned a demon and that's Kurt's real dad" chances are Austen wrote them.

I think both stories have been mostly retconned away now.

That second one was very, very much retconned away in the recent X-Men Blue. Destiny is Kurt's mom and Mystique is Kurt's dad, as Chris Claremont originally intended.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

rantmo posted:

In the air. Directly above Mama Guthrie.

In a story literally called 'She Lies With Angels.'

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

One of Marvel's free comic book day books will show post-Krakoa X-Men. There's also been some promo ads using the 90s X-Men logo so it may well be a "back to basics" kind of thing. Remains to be seen.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
My only problem with putting the toys back in the toybox here is it's possibly the biggest status quo being undone I can think of in the whole of the time I've been reading superhero comics. Like yeah, I know it's just the nature of the beast with comics and mutants can't stop being a hated and feared minority or the story ends. But this just feels so much bigger. The only thing I can kind of remotely liken it to was when Peter Parker went from being a tech CEO to a loving loser again, but that made more sense both in-story (because Doc Ock founded the company when he was controlling Pete's body) and out-of-story (because Dan Slott is a bad writer). Everything happening here just feels so forced, not like an inevitable downfall, but just "welp, it's time, boys".

this is where if I were an actual artist I'd make a parody of that Defenders Beyond panel with the Enigma crown and change it to just be the word "EDITORIAL"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
What exactly has been the arc with Kurt's level of Catholicism? Because I feel like for a long time it was just "Well, he's semi-religious, and that's part of why he's so sensitive" and then it went all the way "MAYBE HE WANTS TO BE A PRIEST" followed by "WHAT IF HE MADE A NEW MUTANT RELIGION?"

Maybe I just don't know a lot enough theologians but the ones I do are the furthest thing from swashbucklers that I can think of (unless your idea of being a swashbuckler is being a missionary), so I always felt it to be a weird direction to go in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

My only problem with putting the toys back in the toybox here is it's possibly the biggest status quo being undone I can think of in the whole of the time I've been reading superhero comics. Like yeah, I know it's just the nature of the beast with comics and mutants can't stop being a hated and feared minority or the story ends. But this just feels so much bigger. The only thing I can kind of remotely liken it to was when Peter Parker went from being a tech CEO to a loving loser again, but that made more sense both in-story (because Doc Ock founded the company when he was controlling Pete's body) and out-of-story (because Dan Slott is a bad writer). Everything happening here just feels so forced, not like an inevitable downfall, but just "welp, it's time, boys".

The money thing and Peter also helps with that panel where he straight up tells Tony he just doesn't value it.

OnimaruXLR posted:

What exactly has been the arc with Kurt's level of Catholicism? Because I feel like for a long time it was just "Well, he's semi-religious, and that's part of why he's so sensitive" and then it went all the way "MAYBE HE WANTS TO BE A PRIEST" followed by "WHAT IF HE MADE A NEW MUTANT RELIGION?"

It's varied. First Kurt was a Catholic but also he liked to have fun! A very positive representation. Then more and more they decided that if Kurt was going to be a priest that meant he had to be brooding and talk only about faith and God which got worse from Claremont (in his second run) to Joe Casey and then to Austen (where we found out Kurt's dad was Actually Satan or whatever), just more and more Kurt being miserable which culminated in Kurt dying to save Hope and going to Heaven but his demon dad using him to invade Heaven. Kurt became The Religious Mutant.

Way of X helped to pull Kurt out of that spiral while he was toying with a mutant religion even if it feels misguided on a few tenets of faith - not dying is not the end-all be-all of Christianity - or going anywhere much but it has worked to make Kurt fun again so that's nice.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 6, 2024