Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Real pros use the forward slash to open their menus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So if I have Windows 11 set up with a Storage Space and then smoke that install, format the system drive, and reload Windows.... will it see that Storage Space?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

AlternateAccount posted:

So if I have Windows 11 set up with a Storage Space and then smoke that install, format the system drive, and reload Windows.... will it see that Storage Space?

Yes, storage spaces have all the config data on the drives in question, not the Windows install.

However, a quirk of storage spaces is they can't be used by a previous version of the OS -- and that's build # version, not like 10 vs 11. So after a format & reinstall you may also need to fetch windows updates before the drives show up.

(Also they may not auto-load if they can't get the same drive letter(s) as they had previously.)

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Nam Taf posted:

Remember physically removing the windows key from your keyboard because you’d accidentally hit it when gaming and it’d gently caress everything up?

Well, it’s back.

That's the vision of the future. That's what the customers truly want! Microsoft is slowly becoming the prime example of what happens if you insist on reinventing the wheel, even though what you're selling is, essentially, a desk. The desk has been solved. Stop. Just stop.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Blattdorf posted:

That's the vision of the future. That's what the customers truly want! Microsoft is slowly becoming the prime example of what happens if you insist on reinventing the wheel, even though what you're selling is, essentially, a desk. The desk has been solved. Stop. Just stop.

If they sold a version of Windows that was basically just Windows 2000 Professional UI, with the current Windows libraries and whatnot so modern programs launch, but with the AI/telemetric poo poo turned off, even at a premium over regular Windows, they would probably sell more licenses than they'd think they would.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Branch Nvidian posted:

If they sold a version of Windows that was basically just Windows 2000 Professional UI, with the current Windows libraries and whatnot so modern programs launch, but with the AI/telemetric poo poo turned off, even at a premium over regular Windows, they would probably sell more licenses than they'd think they would.

I could go for a hardware accelerated version of the old gray interface.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Annath posted:

Hey there.

So, I run Win10 on my personal computer. I have to use 11 on my work laptop, and I loathe the UI changes, so I've been putting off updating.

However, I acknowledge that I probably should go ahead and pull the trigger.

My questions:

1. Am I able to just upgrade the OS without a full wipe? I have a lot of stuff set up that I don't want to redo, which a full wipe would require.

2. Are there any notable applications that aren't working with 11?

3. Is there a way to get rid of the UI changes. Or really all the user-facing changes. Like, can I essentially make this "Windows 10 with 11 under the hood".

I'd still be running Win7 if it was still supported tbh, even 10 was a downgrade imo.

FWIW, I just did an upgrade in place a few days ago on my old Surface pro 5 (7 gen, unsupported even) and it was super smooth. Didn't lose anything, all files/apps there. Just needed to configure some aesthetics things and uninstall some 11 crap.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

:same:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Flipperwaldt posted:

ctrl + insert and shift + insert are copy and paste from before Windows existed or something and work to this day.

thats hosed up. if i ever see someone doing this i'm deleting their system32

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

slidebite posted:

FWIW, I just did an upgrade in place a few days ago on my old Surface pro 5 (7 gen, unsupported even) and it was super smooth. Didn't lose anything, all files/apps there. Just needed to configure some aesthetics things and uninstall some 11 crap.

Other than the start menu fixes, what crap does 11 add that I should look at removing?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Annath posted:

Other than the start menu fixes, what crap does 11 add that I should look at removing?

Cortana and Copilot.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think Cortana was taken out back a while ago

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

It was there and uninstallable.

Also various other things I never use on that device, like office, other various bits of shovelware.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

The Photo and Video Editor apps have been changed for much, much worse ones called 'Clipchamp'. It's loving terrible and of course requires integration with all of the other MS 'services'. You can get the legacy stuff still I think if you dig through settings.
Context menus are completely hosed.
The new MSPaint is worse, but it's sins are relatively minor compared to the rest of the OS.
UWP notepad hasn't pissed me off yet, so I guess that's something.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

The Photo and Video Editor apps have been changed for much, much worse ones called 'Clipchamp'. It's loving terrible and of course requires integration with all of the other MS 'services'. You can get the legacy stuff still I think if you dig through settings.
The new MSPaint is worse, but it's sins are relatively minor compared to the rest of the OS.

I don't use Paint or photo/video editors, at least not the windows ones, but can the context menus be fixed?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
IMO biggest addition was that if you briefly turn off one monitor and all your windows jump to the other monitor, they get restored to the old positions correctly when you turn it back on.

Annath posted:

I don't use Paint or photo/video editors, at least not the windows ones, but can the context menus be fixed?

Yes there's a registry edit to set it to old-school context menus all the time.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Irfanview is the only photo viewer I've needed in a long time. I don't have suggestions for a video app.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
If you just want to clip a bit out of a video, lossless-cut is wonderful

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

The built in Videos app can also do basic timeline trimming of videos, it’s when you want to do anything else you gotta find a 3rd party app because Clipchimp is dogshit demo software

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

Windows has always done the effective thing dating back to at least Vista. The only thing that changes is the display on task manager and whether caches are included in the most user-visible readouts or hidden. They made them hidden starting in 7 so that people wouldn't complain.

Apparently the new UI for task manager in 11 makes caches more visible again?
IIRC it took until 8.1 for them to finally do memory management correctly, the difference between 7 and 8.1 was pretty stark for some workloads. maybe 8 was too, but everyone avoided that like the plague so who knows

that's not to say vista/7 didn't *try*, but it wasn't until after 7/2008r2 that they finally got it right, the previous implementations were really bad at remembering actually relevant things because superfetch or whatever kept interfering. specifically, databases run way better for me now, postgres on windows before 8.1 was an absolute trainwreck unless you had enough ram to fit the entire db and OS, and them some extra on top

and for desktop apps, i was playing an obscure winxp era game on win7 where the community had to make an app that would run for a minute before launching the game, because otherwise the initial loading screen after logging in would take like 3 minutes and you would time out because the load time was so long. iirc the problem was that files didn't cache after being being hit a single time, but the game would access some files more than once during initial loading. definitely an issue with the old game not doing efficient loading, but also lol

if you ran that app first it was a 3-5 second loading screen after the app took a minute to touch all the relevant filesystem bits a couple times to cache them correctly. it was a very funny situation that only really resolved itself for me on 8.1, and for people insisting on staying with 7 until SSDs got cheap enough to fit big games

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

Branch Nvidian posted:

I never get tired of seeing people's reactions when they learn about that for the first time.

I never knew...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

CBD Corndog posted:

The built in Videos app can also do basic timeline trimming of videos, it’s when you want to do anything else you gotta find a 3rd party app because Clipchimp is dogshit demo software

Last I tried it the basic photo/video app reduced the frame rate of any clip to 30, which sucked

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Quick question if anyone knows… is it still a free upgrade from 10 pro to 11 pro?

I’ve got an msdn so, while I’m not strapped for licenses, I don’t want to use an 11 if I don’t have to since Microsoft is a lot more stingy than they used to be.
The plan on this new machine was to install 10 pro as a key, log into a Microsoft account, then upgrade to 11 pro. Then maybe blow it away again by installing enterprise and logging in to activate 11 pro.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

10 and 11 licenses are still interchangeable yeah, you can just plug the 10 key in to the 11 installer and it'll be happy

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

kirbysuperstar posted:

10 and 11 licenses are still interchangeable yeah, you can just plug the 10 key in to the 11 installer and it'll be happy

Hells yeah! Even better… thx

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Nam Taf posted:

Remember physically removing the windows key from your keyboard because you’d accidentally hit it when gaming and it’d gently caress everything up?

Well, it’s back.

My keyboard is an original Model M, there is nothing to remove :smug:

Blue Footed Booby posted:

:same: but add the original color customization because desert was the best color scheme, it has a warmer color temp than default without being garish like Unix CDE.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 6, 2024

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

My keyboard is an original Model M, there is nothing to remove :smug:
"A new keyboard has been detected. Please press the following keys to verify it functions correctly."
"Copilot key press not detected, keyboard has been disabled due to malfunction."

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

nielsm posted:

"A new keyboard has been detected. Please press the following keys to verify it functions correctly."
"Copilot key press not detected, keyboard has been disabled due to malfunction."

“Also, Copilot will now handle all text input. You’re welcome.”

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Klyith posted:

Yes, storage spaces have all the config data on the drives in question, not the Windows install.

However, a quirk of storage spaces is they can't be used by a previous version of the OS -- and that's build # version, not like 10 vs 11. So after a format & reinstall you may also need to fetch windows updates before the drives show up.

(Also they may not auto-load if they can't get the same drive letter(s) as they had previously.)

Thank you much.

Was thinking about going back to 10, soooo…. Might just be time for the NAS to get a little crowded.

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

Thanks Ants posted:

In the MS video it seems to be taking the place of the right ctrl key

Oh Carmack on a crutch. I am never buying another keyboard as long as I live. Right Ctrl is the Jump key for every FPS I play.

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

Video editing isn't something I've touched since like... 2009.
Fortunately for photos I still have Old Faithful (Paint Shop Pro 9) and Notepad++ for all my text and code editing needs.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

In the MS video it seems to be taking the place of the right ctrl key

If keyboard has menu key then copilot is replacing it. If not then control.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

MikusR posted:

If keyboard has menu key then copilot is replacing it. If not then control.

Surely the right windows key would make more sense

Edit: sorry, we shouldn't expect Microsoft to make sense these days

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

imperiusdamian posted:

Oh Carmack on a crutch. I am never buying another keyboard as long as I live. Right Ctrl is the Jump key for every FPS I play.

Are you one of those arrow key movement players? I didn't know there were any still around.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
I imagine arrow key movement is popular among lefties?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

biznatchio posted:

I imagine arrow key movement is popular among lefties?

Numpad gets you way more keys in easy access, though.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Obviously arrow keys on right hand (for movement) and ZXCV on left hand (for actions) is the ideal control scheme. :smuggo:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

HalloKitty posted:

Surely the right windows key would make more sense

Edit: sorry, we shouldn't expect Microsoft to make sense these days

Laptops already nuked the Right Win key.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hasn't everything? Mine is the button that brings up the right click context menu and has been for about five different keyboards now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

My new Corsair keyboard doesn't have a right control anymore. But I'll be hosed if I ever buy a keyboard with a loving copilot key. That's just lol.