Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Timby posted:

Reich was lost in Indianapolis after Luck retired, and he was overmatched and clearly exhausted in Carolina. He might get an offensive coordinator position but I think his fire to be a head coach is gone.

And yet he still made them playoff relevant for several seasons post-Luck with their endless qb carousel, and an owner doing lines off Hendrix’s guitar. Not saying he’s a HoF coach or anything, but compared to Arthur Smith? eh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Pontius Pilate posted:

And yet he still made them playoff relevant for several seasons post-Luck with their endless qb carousel, and an owner doing lines off Hendrix’s guitar. Not saying he’s a HoF coach or anything, but compared to Arthur Smith? eh

Frank Reich once lost a game because he called three consecutive passes by Wentz, one of which lead to an INT late in the 4th with a small lead and the clock on his side when his RB was averaging 5 yards a carry. He's a horrible head coach and play caller. His offense is 20 years out of date.

Bijan would have about 1500 yards and they'd finish 8-9

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

How is Atlanta's defense? They've gotta be the second most desirable coaching spot behind the Chargers if Smith gets fired, between the offensive weapons and just how lovely the south is and will probably continue to be

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The thing about Reich is the Colts OL was loving awful last year under him, and.... good now and the Panthers OL was fine-ish last year and was a dumpster fire this year.

That's a pretty bad sign from what a guy's doing.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Kalli posted:

good now and the Panthers OL was fine-ish last year and was a dumpster fire this year.

After Reich was fired didn't Carolina change their OL blocking scheme and their OL play got instantly better? That's pretty damning, provided I'm remembering correctly.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Q_res posted:

After Reich was fired didn't Carolina change their OL blocking scheme and their OL play got instantly better? That's pretty damning, provided I'm remembering correctly.

panthers ran a power run blocking scheme last year, frank tried to install a zone blocking scheme and it failed utterly, which is what seems to happen literally every time people try it yet they keep doing it for some reason, after he got fired they switched back to power run blocking

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Alaois posted:

panthers ran a power run blocking scheme last year, frank tried to install a zone blocking scheme and it failed utterly, which is what seems to happen literally every time people try it yet they keep doing it for some reason, after he got fired they switched back to power run blocking

Shanahan offense uses a lot of zone. That's why teams keep trying to change.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Shanahan offense uses a lot of zone. That's why teams keep trying to change.

yeah and San Francisco's o-line sucks rear end except for one all-pro! weird!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Alaois posted:

They’re at least good at run blocking, even if they suck at pass blocking. The Panthers were good at neither.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They’re at least good at run blocking, even if they suck at pass blocking. The Panthers were good at neither.

they're good at run blocking, to the left, behind Trent Williams lol

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Alaois posted:

I'm saying it's not a mystery. We've got 5 Shanahan HCs and I don't know how many oc's running around it's not a surprise.

Browns were making it work in pervious years, but there again all pro guards.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The titans switched to zone blocking when vrabel took over and it was very good for our offense while we had peak Henry, elite line play at three of five positions and the tannehill/AJB connection but I’d be thrilled to go back on it, we don’t have the personnel to be effective up front at anything right now

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Pontius Pilate posted:

I mean and they are back to relevance with a QB carousel so maybe that’s just how the colts roll now

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

per schefter...

-Tepper has hired outside firm to hire next head coach
-Fitterer is out on Monday
-Lots of internal support for Dan Morgan to get the GM job

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Thinking about the Eagles… is there any precedent if the Eagles had realized Shane Steichen was the brains of the staff and fired Sirianni to promote him to HC?

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I think the thing about what the Shanahan boys do that's tricky is that it's really not about wide zone blocking so much as it is having a ton of concepts meant to burn teams off of their adjustments to it. Coaches on the outside looking in think they can replicate it, but you need more than "run wide zone and sometimes bootleg play action off of it", there's like 25+ years of institutional knowledge in terms of adjustments and tricks there that seem to require some scheme fluency rather than just trying to reverse engineer it from the outside looking in.

Alaois posted:

I think one of the things that suckers teams in with it is that they've got a fair amount of plays that are dangers to generate chunk plays as long as you've got like, two guys who land their blocks, and a lot of it is WR/TE/FB play and not as much OL play.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

AndrewP posted:

Thinking about the Eagles… is there any precedent if the Eagles had realized Shane Steichen was the brains of the staff and fired Sirianni to promote him to HC?

Didn't the Rams essentially shove Vermeil off the boat to promote Martz?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

FizFashizzle posted:

per schefter...

Ah, the old "blue ribbon committee" approach.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Ah, the old "blue ribbon committee" approach.

THE WOODY JOHNSON SPECIAL!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Timby posted:

I mean Vermeil was in his mid-60s at the time, it was easy to sell as a passing of the torch.

That's very different from telling a guy "gently caress off, we think your OC is better anyway" after a tough SB loss.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Timby posted:

No. Vermeil retired less than a week after the Super Bowl win. Always emotional, he thought he was done with coaching again now that’d he’d won a ring and had that magical 1999 season. However a few months later, I believe he has specially said in interviews it was when they got their Super Bowl rings, Vermeil realized he’d made a mistake and still wanted to keep coaching, so the next year he went to Kansas City.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Benne posted:

I mean Vermeil was in his mid-60s at the time, it was easy to sell as a passing of the torch.

That's very different from telling a guy "gently caress off, we think your OC is better anyway" after a tough SB loss.

lol okay I forgot they had just gone to the Super Bowl. That's a tough move... but hard to argue the Eagles wouldn't be better off for it

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

mcmagic posted:

THE WOODY JOHNSON SPECIAL!

Great thing about the Blue Ribbon Committee is the owner can choose to completely ignore their recommendation but still blame them when it doesn't work out.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I feel like owners either hire a name brand coach where you know what you're getting or they get lucky/unlucky with a first timer. Those are the only two options

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

mcmagic posted:

I feel like owners either hire a name brand coach where you know what you're getting or they get lucky/unlucky with a first timer. Those are the only two options

I mean, yes, going with someone who has a track record and someone who has none are generally the two options

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
"Can't hire a first-timer, he has no experience"

"Can't hire an experienced guy, he's just a retread"

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

FizFashizzle posted:

per schefter...

More stuff from this article:

-Situation in Tennessee is uncertain; some people think Vrabel and the franchise could have mutual interest in parting ways
-Mike McCarthy is not safe and could be in trouble if the Cowboys end the season on a sour note. Also Dallas wants to retain Quinn very badly
-Arthur Blank is torn on whether to keep Smith; Atlanta has explored what other options could be out there if they fire him
-Dennis Allen is probably safe
-Raiders are letting their assistants look for jobs elsewhere which might be a sign Pierce isn't a lock to get the interim tag removed. Davis could be tempted by a big name like Harbaugh
-Eberflus is probably safe
-Bowles could be in trouble if the Bucs lose to the Panthers (which, duh)

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

xbilkis posted:

-Bowles could be in trouble if the Bucs lose to the Panthers

if someone’s job is contingent on winning one game then just fire him

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Also, stuff from Russini:

-Atlanta's staff thinks they're coming back, but Blank is anxious to win ASAP and could be tempted to fire Smith. Falcons could take a big swing for Belichick if the position opens up
-Panthers still want Ben Johnson, and Johnson is supposedly open to it
-Chargers prefer to hire someone with head coaching experience
-Dennis Allen is probably safe, but there will probably be changes to the Saints coaching staff
-Unclear what the Bears are going to do but Kevin Warren is going to play a big role in making the call
-McCarthy could be on the hot seat if the Cowboys lose to the Commanders

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

AndrewP posted:

The Cowboys effectively ousted Wade Phillips so they could promote his OC Jason Garrett

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

AndrewP posted:

The Bucs dropped Lovie Smith after two seasons as HC for their OC Dirk Koetter in 2016 'cause they didn't want him to get poached. They were 6-10 and Koetter guided them to 9-7, 5-11, and 5-11 before he was fired.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
After reading those two articles, I got the sense that Dallas firing McCarthy so they can keep Quinn by making him HC is very much a possibility

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Completely lost on the hype around Dan Quinn

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

syzpid posted:

He wears his baseball cap backwards so he can better connect with the youth

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
you get to use "#quinning" in all your social media posts

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Rooster Brooster posted:

you get to use "#quinning" in all your social media posts

Also #28-3.

Because the 28 is the number of seasons since the Cowboys were in a Super Bowl.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

syzpid posted:

Cowboys defense is good. Gotta hire coaches from somewhere and there’s not enough Shanahan offensive disciples to go around. A retread who wasn’t a disaster at his first stop and has been good in a coordinator role since being fired isn’t the worst resume. Beats the years of hiring Belichick guys.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

syzpid posted:

DC's get their shots off their defense being good. The Dallas defense is good. This must be because of his scheme and coaching, not the talent.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Ches Neckbeard posted:

DC's get their shots off their defense being good. The Dallas defense is good. This must be because of his scheme and coaching, not the talent.

To be fair to Quinn, he had extremely good defenses in Seattle, and they’ve never been as good since, and now he’s got a very good defense in Dallas when they sucked before he got there. Based on the evidence he’s probably a pretty good defensive coordinator. Yea, he’s had talent to work with but every NFL team has talent and plenty of coaches still manage to waste it.

None of this is an endorsement for him as HC, but like I said, you’ve got to hire *someone* and proven commodities are pretty rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

AndrewP posted:

The Browns fired Hue/Gregggg to promote and retain Freddie Kitchens