Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Holy poo poo! This whole time I thought it was just a normal fighting game that had some of the main cast of FF7 in it, I didn't realize there were that many!

They go all out! Cloud and Tifa even have secret 3P costumes. Cloud is a Shinra soldier grunt out and Tifa is Cowboy Tifa.

Also the Roguelike mode it has is hilarious. It's a quest for the Phoenix Down. You get down to the bottom, your character dies, then you have to go down to the bottom as the other character, fight the Phoenix, and then choose to either keep or use the Phoenix Down.

I had to choose between Ehrgeiz and Smash Brothers and I went for Ehrgeiz while my friend got Smash, and while Smash was inarguably better, I got hours of fun out of that stupid roguelike mode and being able to use Zack and make Cloud and Sephiroth fistfight.

I am sure it would be unplayable today but haha, nostalgia means I don't even have to think about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tobal no. 1, the game that is technically a grappling-focused 3d fighting game but it's more like the worst roguelike you've ever played. and for some reason they did not name the sequel tobal no. 2

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

God Bless the Ring

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

It was Cloud, Tifa, Sephiroth, Vincent (both regular and Turks), Yuffie and Zack who was hilariously just a slightly higher effort pallet swap of Cloud.

Also the final boss was budget Red XIII in his alt-color:

Edit:
Also that dude's move list is all stuff like Seto Punch, Nanaki Kick, Biting Bahamut, etc.

looks like the secret Okami skin

great username
Dec 28, 2023

Final Fantasy: Masters of Teras Kasi

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

great username posted:

Final Fantasy: Masters of Teras Kasi

Hey now, let's not get insulting.

(Yes, young me bought that stupid-rear end game too entirely because it had Mara Jade and young me thought Mara Jade was the coolest character.)

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I bet a lot of Finns bought it just because of the title, a Star Wars game with broken Finnish in the title was really bizarre but also kinda charming to see.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nihilarian posted:

God Bless the Ring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TQl4sam2GY

God Bless the Ring

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A place I had to go a lot as a kid had an Ehrgeiz cabinet and lemme tell you a game with way less ff characters and no quest mode was extremely mid but you couldnt keep people my age off the machine to play as Cloud

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Cloud is cool

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It's hosed up they retconned Luke's hot kinky bad bitch redhead wife out of canon

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Colonel posted:

tobal no. 1, the game that is technically a grappling-focused 3d fighting game but it's more like the worst roguelike you've ever played. and for some reason they did not name the sequel tobal no. 2

tobal 1 and spectral tower fighting to the death for the title of shitties ps1 roguelike

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

masters of teras kasi is better than any star wars product disney has released, put some respect on it

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 6, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

Theres an interview with the president of sony where he goes 'ff7 only used 50% of the Playstations power... gran turismo, 70%... tobal number one is the first game to use 100%'

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

Theres an interview with the president of sony where he goes 'ff7 only used 50% of the Playstations power... gran turismo, 70%... tobal number one is the first game to use 100%'

i feel like i remember that being mentioned in the australian ps mag and then the next month there were several reader letters that were just like "what"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Ehrgiez ruled because the dungeon crawler would dictate your stats depending on how balanced your diet was, so you had to keep track of carbs and protein and your vitamin intake. Also the game required spending money to save

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Endorph posted:

I'm looking at footage of the game right now and I'm just like uh what? It looks like it uses barely 5% of it lmao

I don't think the game even uses textures, it's all flat shaded

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It's gouraud shaded but it runs in 514x480 mode which is way higher than straight up 97% of the PS1 library and keeps 60fps during that, it's actually extremely technically sound

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Yeah I was wondering why it was so difficult finding raw PS1 footage of it on youtube, turns out all the videos I thought were emulated was actually running on base PS1 hardware anyway, it's running at native resolution and holding locked 60fps, both of which is an extreme rarity for that era.

Looks like an FF7 minigame though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
bear in mind that ff7 minigames look better than most ps1 games

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The sub game is so cool I hope they got it on the :airquote:remake:airquote:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They somehow need to capture the horror of leaving the Galinka and having Emerald Weapon waiting for you right there

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

No Dignity posted:

They somehow need to capture the horror of leaving the Galinka and having Emerald Weapon waiting for you right there

FNAF-style jumpscare.

great username
Dec 28, 2023

More FF7 weirdness, but I loved how you could go right to Lucrecia's cave or stumble on the key of the ancients before you even need it by tooling around in the submarine.

Also getting your poo poo pushed in at the Gelnika if you go there too early/unprepared.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
The Gelnika was the last place I expected to run into a Turks boss fight. Also has some excellently horrific enemy designs.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

DeadButDelicious posted:

The Gelnika was the last place I expected to run into a Turks boss fight. Also has some excellently horrific enemy designs.

I always liked that they were just called Unknown 1/2/3 like what the hell was going on on that gelnika to spawn those things that should not exist

great username
Dec 28, 2023

Sounds like great fodder for FF7R DLC, involving oh let's say Hojo.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

DeadButDelicious posted:

I actually have no idea how they even got there to begin with.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ApplesandOranges posted:

I actually have no idea how they even got there to begin with.

The ocean hides many horrors.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
FF5 has the undersea trench dungeon that has similar "unknown" enemies populating it. They're also all classed as undead, so it's easily handled by a troupe of bards singing requiem, which is fun.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

XIV's take on Unknown 1:

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

XIV's take on Unknown 1:

:stonk:

I would be interested to see what Unknown 2 looks like updated, that was the creepiest one in my opinion:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
FEMALE HROTHGAR

PICTOMANCER

TJHIS IS THE 55FF5 EXPANSION

6 I MEANT SIX

EDIT: "We will not be releasing on Square-Enix time, we will be releasing on 14 time" What an amazing burn on Nomura holy poo poo

Gologle fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 7, 2024

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont think that was a nomura dig. i think it was a joke about video game development and not about one specific developer.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
"video games sometimes take time and our last expansion got delayed a couple weeks so i dont want that to happen again" drat what an epic burn on some random unrelated guy i dislike

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gologle posted:

EDIT: "We will not be releasing on Square-Enix time, we will be releasing on 14 time" What an amazing burn on Nomura holy poo poo
come on man

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
This cat lady is going to get so much furry art

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gologle posted:

FEMALE HROTHGAR

PICTOMANCER

TJHIS IS THE 55FF5 EXPANSION

6 I MEANT SIX

It was a reference to them loving delaying EW launch you freak goober.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tetsuya Nomura, not at all known for releasing a game roughly every 1-3 years on a regular and consistent basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Holy poo poo a 24 hour maintenance

EDIT: Oh to upgrade the data centers