Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Iodine is a controlled substance since it can be used for making drugs.
Notably meth.

Great, now I'll have to show my ID at CVS to buy table salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Potato Salad posted:

Mr President we cannot allow an oxidane gap

Wind gaps only ITT

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Buttchocks posted:

Great, now I'll have to show my ID at CVS to buy table salt.

Is this why all the cooking people use kosher salt

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

gwrtheyrn posted:

Is this why all the cooking people use kosher salt

Kosher salt is superior.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Kwyndig posted:

It's like somebody took the old line about grad students being expendable and wanted to put it into practice. Or like somebody who has no idea what safety regs are took one look at the line item for maintaining a safe working environment and thought to themselves "if I get rid of all these pesky regulations I'll save so much money"

I somehow read that as "grad students being explodeable" and it still made sense.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The Claptain posted:

I somehow read that as "grad students being explodeable" and it still made sense.

Expendable, explodeable, exploitable.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Expendable, explodeable, exploitable.

"Grad students blow up, who cares where zhey come down. Zat's not my department." - T. Klapotke.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Exploidable.

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023
Gradsploitation

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Gradsplosions.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BM-21_Grad

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Well, unfortunate news everyone, I've moved on from USP 800 compounding (for now) and transferred out of Milwaukee.

But I do have one final story for you all. Nothing really exciting in terms of chemical properties but still involves nasty chemicals.

A call came in from a different pharmacy in our network. They needed a pharmacy with three specific requirements:

- Licensed in the patient's state
- USP 800 compounding
- Access to the two drugs in question

The amount of pharmacies in the whole system that meets all three of those is two, maybe three (out of several thousand). The drugs in question?

Trametinib (Mekinist) and dabrafenib (Tafinlar). Two brand name chemotherapy drugs, both are H1. The kid can't tolerate the commercially available versions of it, so we have to make it. So I got to crush up, and I kid you not here, over 12,000 dollars* worth of drugs for a kid. Fun flex there, eh?

They both suck to compound though, as Mekinist is coated, so you have to tap the tablets until they crack and then add some of the vehicle to make it break up more, and Tafinlar likes to clump up as you mix it with the vehicle (it'll break up as you shake it in the bottle, however). Ah well.

*gently caress drug companies so much

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
speaking of compounding pharmacies- many of them making bank on cheaper formulations of the newish weight loss drugs and poisoning people in the process trying to fill ridiculous amounts of orders

I am wondering if the same thing is happening to a lesser extent with newer performance enhancing drugs that aren't scheduled

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Cranappleberry posted:

speaking of compounding pharmacies- many of them making bank on cheaper formulations of the newish weight loss drugs and poisoning people in the process trying to fill ridiculous amounts of orders

I am wondering if the same thing is happening to a lesser extent with newer performance enhancing drugs that aren't scheduled

alchemists going "wait you want what? WHY?! aight fuckit, here you go..." and helping rich idiots poison themselves is a tradition as old as time, yes.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/7Oap892.mp4

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

silentsnack posted:

alchemists going "wait you want what? WHY?! aight fuckit, here you go..." and helping rich idiots poison themselves is a tradition as old as time, yes.

It's probably not affecting rich people that much since they don't have to care if their insurance denies coverage.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

kirtar posted:

It's probably not affecting rich people that much since they don't have to care if their insurance denies coverage.

most of these compounds insurance would never pay in the first place but also many aren't verified to do much of anything in the human body much less what they claim. I wasn't clear before but I'm talking about injectable peptides, some used to stimulate production of androgenic hormones and dodge detection, but also the ones that allegedly boost longevity, neuroplasticity, etc. I'm not saying the drugs will do absolutely nothing but the claims by the producers are wild and you'd spend a fortune to use the compounds regularly. Side-effects not well-studied.

With androgenic hormones, HGH, other performance enhancing drugs and even certain supplements (not just like creatine), there is at least an understanding that they'll have a specific and performance-enhancing effect.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Cranappleberry posted:

how are they poisoning people? is it not as simple as cutting the injectables?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Potato Salad posted:

how are they poisoning people? is it not as simple as cutting the injectables?

Sheer volume put together as cheaply as possible leaves a lot of room to gently caress some up probably.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

Sheer volume put together as cheaply as possible leaves a lot of room to gently caress some up probably.

in the case of stuff like semaglutide and similar orders from some compounding pharmacies, it's this. It's also onboarding people with little compounding experience/poorly training new staff and drops in proper sterility, potency, etc. For example, some pharmacies might use the salt forms in the product, which are not FDA approved.

There are articles floating around about poisoning- accidental misuse or contaminants, it's difficult to get the big picture, as the data is far from complete.

I was more using it as a jumping off point to discuss "performance enhancing" peptide drugs also made by some companies and compounding pharmacies.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Cranappleberry posted:

most of these compounds insurance would never pay in the first place but also many aren't verified to do much of anything in the human body much less what they claim. I wasn't clear before but I'm talking about injectable peptides, some used to stimulate production of androgenic hormones and dodge detection, but also the ones that allegedly boost longevity, neuroplasticity, etc. I'm not saying the drugs will do absolutely nothing but the claims by the producers are wild and you'd spend a fortune to use the compounds regularly. Side-effects not well-studied.

With androgenic hormones, HGH, other performance enhancing drugs and even certain supplements (not just like creatine), there is at least an understanding that they'll have a specific and performance-enhancing effect.

God, scamming rich assholes like this must be the most satisfying feeling in the world if you're not troubled by an attack of conscience.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lemniscate Blue posted:

God, scamming rich assholes like this must be the most satisfying feeling in the world if you're not troubled by an attack of conscience.

Its an entire industry
Every other day it seems theres a new and expensive Brand Named treatment for performance/beauty/weight loss/health

Thing is they scam everyone but the poor sap spending half their take home on some bunk thinking itll help is going to feel it a lot more than a millionaires whos on a regimen of 4 different scams done weekly.

Its funny when steve jobs dies from ligma ignoring his cancer in favor of juice but its a tragedy when its a person who couldnt afford regular treatment and thinks it will save them.

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 16:49 on Jan 29, 2024

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Cranappleberry posted:

I used to have a friend who regularly did IM shots of BPC-157, and if you look into it, apparently it'll make you effectively immortal? He thought it did good things, I never jumped on that train. I suspect he just enjoyed the rush from injecting things.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm wary of anything that claims miraculous properties that have only been tested on animals. Regardless of similarities humans are not rats or chimps and what works on them doesn't necessarily work on you the same way.

Until I see some solid double blind human trials I'm reluctant to trust anything that claims to do anything.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I ran into this cursed chemistry website:
https://web.archive.org/web/20230208234401/https://chemistry-school.info/

It proposes a new and better periodic table: https://web.archive.org/web/20220305150636/http://www.atomic-elements.info/

A new naming convention, approved by UNESCO!

Detailed descriptions of the elements!

quote:

WHEN HYDRON ATOMS, JOIN WITH THE OTHER HALOGENS,
IT CREATES, THESE FOUR IMPORTANT HYDRO-ACIDS,
HYDRO-FLORIC ACID
THAT IS USED, IN OUR BRAINS and IN ALL GRAINS.
HYDRO-CLORIC ACID
THAT IS USED, IN OUR STOMACH and IN ALL FRUIT.
HYDRO- BROMIC ACID
THAT IS USED, IN OUR PANCREAS and IN TREE BARK
HYDRO-IODIC ACID
THAT IS USED, IN IN OUR SPLEEN and IN TREE ROOTS

quote:

THE WASTE, FROM NUCLEAR REACTORS,
CAN BE RE-USED,FOR AGRICULURAL and INDUSTRIAL USES,
WHEN IT IS BUFFERED, WITH LOWER WEIGHT ISOTOPES,
OF BISMUTON-83,POLONION-84 and TORION-90..
THE FRENCH, ARE USING U233 TO IRRADIATE PLANTS,
TO HELP THEM PRODUCE,HOT HOUSE TOMATOS,SWEET PIMIENTOS
and SEVERAL TYPES OF TOBACCO IN THE FALL and EARLY WINTER.
THE GERMANS,ARE USING,VERY LARGE GREENHOUSES,
HEATED WITH SHIELDED,RADIOACTIVE URANION CHIPS,
FROM FORMER NUCLEAR POWERED SHIPS and TRAINS,
TO GROW VEGETABLES and SMALL NUT BEARING BUSHES.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The position of hydrogen on the periodic table is actually discussed by the people who make periodic tables. The current position is a compromise choice.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Kwyndig posted:

The position of hydrogen on the periodic table is actually discussed by the people who make periodic tables. The current position is a compromise choice.

Do people propose a little island all by itself?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Sometimes it is with little descriptions saying what all the numbers mean!

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I assume they propose sticking it next to helium as part of the halogens.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Some people do, other people want it above carbon or fluorine, it's wild!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Some tables I’ve seen have it on there twice, once in Group 1 and once in Group 7.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The only place for it is above Lithium. How the hell do you argue it being placed above carbon?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Amoeba102 posted:

The only place for it is above Lithium. How the hell do you argue it being placed above carbon?

on an MO diagram for a single atom, all valence shell orbitals contain one unpaired electron?

not sure exactly why said hypothetical idealized monatomic carbon is sp3 hybridized in a vacuum, just some random one-off thing mentioned in a quantum/pchem lecture like 15 years ago for why hydrogen and carbon are analogous

silentsnack has a new favorite as of 01:40 on Jan 31, 2024

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

That's absurd.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Lone Badger posted:

Some tables I’ve seen have it on there twice, once in Group 1 and once in Group 7.

I think I saw that in my one-and-only college chemistry class.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kalman posted:

I assume they propose sticking it next to helium as part of the halogens.

sometimes they put it in both places

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
*Frink voice* hydrogen is a metal

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

silentsnack posted:

on an MO diagram for a single atom, all valence shell orbitals contain one unpaired electron?

not sure exactly why said hypothetical idealized monatomic carbon is sp3 hybridized in a vacuum, just some random one-off thing mentioned in a quantum/pchem lecture like 15 years ago for why hydrogen and carbon are analogous

Hydrogen is like carbon in that they're both atoms.

Also

Cranappleberry posted:

*Frink voice* hydrogen is a metal

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Kwyndig posted:

i've seen periodic tables where it's both "in" group 1 and group 17. should probably just hover above in its own special thing tho

efb

Tunicate posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Tunicate posted:

:quagmire: