Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LividLiquid posted:

That's one hell of a bird.

An absolutely amazing line in an absolutely amazing sequence in an absolutely amazing episode.

LividLiquid posted:

Did people really not like 12 here? I remember those years being quite well-liked, if nitpicked a bit for funsies.

12 was extremely well liked, and most of his run was considered very good albeit of course with issues and bad episodes here and there. Remember though, the first rule of Doctor Who fans is that we we can't agree on anything (including that first rule), and it used to be a very common thing during the Tennant and Smith years at least for an episode to air and 95% of the posts to be wildly positive and optimistic, then one single person would say,"I didn't like it all that much" and somebody else would (unironically) post,"I can't stand the relentless negativity anymore, I don't care what you all say, I liked that episode, I guess I just don't "get" Doctor Who! :smugbert:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

Did people really not like 12 here? I remember those years being quite well-liked, if nitpicked a bit for funsies.

I found the initial character actively repellent in a way his character arc didn't fully address, so I've never gotten fully on board with the guy.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

LividLiquid posted:

If I had to describe the consensus (coincidentally my own view) I'd say that seasons 8 and 9 are hit and miss (some great episodes, some stinkers, arcs that don't really land) and that season 10 is one of the best of the revival.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Open Source Idiom posted:

I found the initial character actively repellent in a way his character arc didn't fully address, so I've never gotten fully on board with the guy.
I get that. Negging Clara was a lot to get over and there was never a moment where that changed in-canon. It just kind of... did.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I don't think it was the character himself, I was just getting fed up with the show. Cyber-brigadier was my breaking point, I found it offensive and I haven't even seen any episodes with him lol.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

This is why I did click off. Smith was my first Doctor. I had went backwards to Eccleston at the time. When he became Capaldia, it felt like a place to step off. When Jodie became Tenant again, that got me back into Doctor Who again and led to the roleplaying game and me catching up and getting into Big Finish and Classic W--

God drat, Rusty's loving publicity stuck got me hook, line, and sinker. I am proof of that "you are not immune to propaganda" meme.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lmao that Rusty has saved this show twice over

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Series 8 is my fav one. First half of Deep Breath is a slog, but the minute Clara and the Doctor sit down in that restaurant it's like a switch has flipped and the Doctor is here. Such a tonal departure from Matt Smith, marking a clear delineation between eras without a change in lead writer, an underrated trick. Ditches complicated myth arcs for thematic and emotional ones; I'm a sucker for a series where the stories all rhyme with each other in some way- robots, soldiers, power relations. It has an episode where the villain is a mummy, an episode where the villain is the protagonist's fear of the dark, and an episode where one of the heroes is Santa Claus. The Doctor is really interesting, ruthlessly pragmatic and socially uninterested to the point of "deleting" people from his memory moments after meeting them. Nobody's inviting this guy to Christmas dinner after he helps them defeat a monster. Even he's unsure who he is and what he should be after so many regenerations, going so far as to compare himself to the Ship of Theseus. (one year later in Heaven Sent: "how long can I keep doing this? Burning the old me to make a new one?") Plus he's got that snazzy jacket with the red lining. It's a great time

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I’m generally split between seasons 4 and 5 being my favorites, but I’ve only watched a couple eps of 12’s run (fell off the show for years for various reasons and only recently got back into it)

4 just had the loving incredible chemistry between Donna and 10 plus several genuinely extremely good eps, and 5 feels like the series of the 11 era where Moffat was most successful in keeping all the plates spinning without poo poo hitting the ground and raising questions.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Gaz-L posted:

It's kind of funny, because Ncuti's outright said in interviews that he feels his Scottish accent makes him sound posh (there is a slight whiff of middle class about it, for sure)

That's because he's from edinburgh and they all sound like toffee nosed pricks over there.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If I had to describe the consensus (coincidentally my own view) I'd say that seasons 8 and 9 are hit and miss (some great episodes, some stinkers, arcs that don't really land) and that season 10 is one of the best of the revival.

This is pretty much where I'm at as well. Even if Series 10 has the Monks thing.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

keep punching joe posted:

That's because he's from edinburgh and they all sound like toffee nosed pricks over there.

Only Morningside REALLY.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
To be fair they have a point. I'm from England and even I think Edinburgh people sound a bit posh.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Anyway the only eps of Capaldi's run that I can never seem to get into is the double parter Under the Lake & Before the Flood - Just think the villains a bit naff, with its romper stomper boots, and there's too much faffing about.

Otherwise I think 12 had a really solid run that was such a tonal difference to what people were used to that it probably threw them off a lot.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Infinitum posted:

Anyway the only eps of Capaldi's run that I can never seem to get into is the double parter Under the Lake & Before the Flood - Just think the villains a bit naff, with its romper stomper boots, and there's too much faffing about.

Otherwise I think 12 had a really solid run that was such a tonal difference to what people were used to that it probably threw them off a lot.

See I love that one because of the lecture to camera about the bootstrap paradox and because the romper stomper booted villain has Peter Serafinowicz's voice. Plus the silent blank eyed ghosts stomping around are genuinely creepy.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Capaldi had some disastrously bad episodes like Kill the Moon, Forest of the Night, and the Zygon two parter. Real contenders for the worst stories in Doctor Who history. And then there'd be some amazing episodes. It was an era of whiplash.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I'd argue the worst whiplash was between Extremis and the rest of the monk episodes, largely because setting up the story with some amazing bits of horror and then paying it off with a bunch of people doing really stupid things is a terrible combination.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
The lows of the Capaldi run just weren't as horrible or consistent as the lows of the Smith run to me, maybe just because I like Peter so much as an actor. The highs are my favorite Who. I like all three of his seasons, warts and all.

Please bring back Jamie Mathieson, RTD!

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Yeah a large part of it for me is that I rate Capaldi as an actor whereas I... very much do not think Matt Smith has the same depth of skill. And I liked a lot of his Who!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I know there are some parents in the thread: how early did you start show them Doctor Who? My oldest is five, which still feels young to me, but he wants to watch it because he got a few Doctor Who books from relatives.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bicyclops posted:

I know there are some parents in the thread: how early did you start show them Doctor Who? My oldest is five, which still feels young to me, but he wants to watch it because he got a few Doctor Who books from relatives.

Space Cadet is 7 at the moment. She'd seen some classic stuff when she was a bit younger but we started modern Who earlier this year.

It's going to depend a lot on the kid and how well they deal with scary stuff. Some episodes you can pick in advance are going to be an issue but some are a bit harder. She found the alt-universe Cyberman two-parter pretty scary because of the cyber conversion scene (I think it was the first person perspective for the blades and saws) which was a really brief bit and one I'd forgotten about.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

I tried my eldest at about 7 with series 5 and he got scared when we hit the Angels episode. Tried a few years later when he was 13 and his brother was 9 and they both decided Capaldi was their favourite doctor but they lost interest before Whittaker started.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. It's hard to remember what the "behind the sofa" moments are, or sometimes even to know what's scary for him specifically. He's fine, for example, with the big scary Ursula in The little Mermaid, but he gets really upset at the scene where King Triton blows up all of the mermaid's stuff. I think I'll just wait for now, there's plenty of Number Blocks.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

My little sister (who is now nearly 18) watched David Tennant's werewolf episode when it came out, and she was 1 year old at the time. She's been watching it since.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Also my first memory of Who is the glass Dalek from Revelation when I would have been five? And I'm still watching thirty nine years later so yeah it defo depends.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

5 is a tad younger but my parent's system was to put on The Empty Child and The Doctor Dances to keep their children quiet while hosting an adult dinner, and then just let it haunt me for year and years to the point I still get the shits from gas masks into their late 20s and counting. I'm still watching so seems foolproof.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If the message of the Weeping Angels episode were "You have to eat your vegetables," then I'd consider it...

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
What's the point of even having kids if you aren't exposing them to nightmare fuel at a young age?

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I kinda want to say start the kid with Classic Who? There's a whole lot of it, and the effects are naff enough that it might be fun AND scary to them. Pertwee was my first Doctor when we had a really good antenna in NYC and the New Jersey PBS ran episodes in the early '90s when I was growing up. It was colorful and fun, and he's still one of my favorite Doctors.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

2house2fly posted:

I'll say this for Chibs, the last Jodie Whitaker episode is a fun blowout continuityfest in a completely different way to what you'd get from RTD or Moffat. I don't know if I like it (it falls into the same Silence-esque place as the rest of Chibnall's era where I can't remember a drat thing about it when I'm not actively watching it) but I like that it made some of the choices it made

The former companion support group (and getting William Russell on-screen) is so brilliant you wonder why it hadn’t already happened.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Not really Capaldi's fault but I had fallen off 12 because I wasn't feeling the Moffat vibe much anymore and thought the show just needed a new direction. I'm going back to rewatch some of it now and enjoying it more than I did at the time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Covok posted:

Oh fun fact about that TRPG campaign, I came up with this idea where the Doctor's companion was a girl from Victorian England who actually died and was a living paradox because someone changed the past. Last Christmas, my sister in law bought me the Charlie Pollard arc for the 8th Doctor. Imagine my loving surprise.

That's ridiculous.

Charley is from EDWARDIAN times. Totally different.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Gaz-L posted:

That's ridiculous.

Charley is from EDWARDIAN times. Totally different.

No spoilers BUT I see one audio is called "Neverland." In my game, the character was "Alice Little" and, when the Paradox got to be too much, the universe imploded and became Alice in Wonderland. I based that on the "Wedding of River Song," but now I wonder if this is literally what they are building to in the audio dramas.

ONCE AGAIN, NO SPOILERS.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Going with the show ideas from a few pages back. Take the TARDIS idea (please!) as a start:
Different creative team does three-episode arcs, entirely different Time Lord(s) each arc. Like, good Time Lords lost to history, evil Time Lords who destroyed themselves spectacularly, dumb Time Lords. Full creative license, as long as the Time Lord dies at the end. Each Time Lord is a big time celebrity and everyone gets to interact with a Doctor at least once in the series in very very VERY minor ways.

Edit: Time Lords

SpeakSlow fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 7, 2024

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Moffat's run is my favorite and it's not close. I speedrun 9 and 10 to get to 11 and 12. It blows me away that people think he sucks.

Like, at best, he's kind of poo poo. But he doesn't suck.

At Doctor Who. Hoooooo boy does he suck elsewhere.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

LividLiquid posted:

Moffat's run is my favorite and it's not close. I speedrun 9 and 10 to get to 11 and 12. It blows me away that people think he sucks.

I still really love Press Gang.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

He doesn't suck, he just didn't have like six seasons of story to tell, but carried on anyway. There's great stuff throughout those six seasons but there's also a lot of chaff and "keep watching and maybe we'll resolve these hanging plot threads!".

Moffat will always exist in my head as both the guy that gave us the 50th anniversary that the show deserved, but he's still the guy that gave us two Doctor's final episodes that were kinda poo poo. Like, why would you have your final episode as show runner be that bloody dreadful Christmas special when you'd written The Doctor Falls?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think Moffat kinda sucks, but less than I used to. His characterization is frequently quite weak, and I think a lot of arcs are hodgepodges of ideas that he's not super disciplined about handling. He's got fewer big ideas than he needed to in his role, and you can sense them running out as early as his second season in charge, but his stories tend to be vivid even when the hang a lot of weight on deliberately unsatisfying gotchas, or descend into disappointing neoliberal political manifestos.

I also used to feel more strongly about the ways he thought about sex and gender, but those feelings have mellowed with time too. They're still bad, but I feel less intensely than I used to I guess. (Probably a good thing.)

Fil5000 posted:

Moffat will always exist in my head as both the guy that gave us the 50th anniversary that the show deserved, but he's still the guy that gave us two Doctor's final episodes that were kinda poo poo. Like, why would you have your final episode as show runner be that bloody dreadful Christmas special when you'd written The Doctor Falls?

To be fair, there were extenuating circumstances there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

To be fair, there were extenuating circumstances there.

Just make The Doctor Falls a christmas special. CGI a bunch of christmas trees into the background, we even know those are a thing on Mondas.