Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022
Dougie being only 90% douchebag instead of 100% adds so much to his character. The fact that a drunk driving reality television producer is arguably the most “likeable” of the main characters helps highlight what monsters Whitney and Asher are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

This wasn't posted before, was it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MldMVC82-Po

Nathan just finding new and interesting ways to make every interaction the least comfortable it possibly can be. Love that Emma is 100% in on it too.

"show him the texts!"

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 5, 2024

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Flipanthropy

The Green Queen

The Whistleblower's Wife

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
i actually cant tell if im not buying nathan's take at the end of the ep or if ive been caught in the headlights of whatever the eco friendly version of a ford raptor is seconds before it puts its famed ev acceleration capabilities to use and ramps it

atrus50 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 5, 2024

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

atrus50 posted:

i actually cant tell if im not buying nathan's take at the end of the ep or if ive been caught in the headlights of whatever the eco friendly version of a ford raptor is seconds before it puts its famed ev acceleration capabilities to use and ramps it
It's actually a Scion TC going 100 mph

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
yes nice callback but i seriously cant tell if the hand trembling was some sort of red gatorade prop. i think its possible the character does have that level of manipulation awareness, and going outside the hotel room for just long enough means we dont see him actually put together how he's going to figure the situation out

in all fairness im reading it as not a conscious affectation but whatever it was has Whitney shellshocked. or was she shellshocked from the pottery clip nailing her real feelings to the wall? ahhh its mirrors on mirrors in this show

atrus50 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 5, 2024

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm pretty sure watching my parents have sex would make me feel less uncomfortable than this episode.

It kinda reminds me of Dear Zachary where it's an amazing watch and I will salt the earth so I never have to see it again

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I honestly can't wait to smash the whole thing again, what a delightful sour candy of a show

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

My favorite moment was Whitney knocking Asher's hand off her shoulder in the dinner scene while Dougie scarfed down edamame and nodded along to the HGTV lady even though nobody was looking at him.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't think Dougie is lying to them about HGTV wanting the changes. He'd been gunning to make something more acrid from the start (and also he's right that his version is better televsion and what Whitney wanted to shoot sucked rear end). But the HGTV executive pointedly asks him about the couple and notes they need to get along in a way that makes it seem like she's underlining a point from a prior conversation.

He wanted badly to make something else, but obviously HGTV is not going to go for that. It's not their brand.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

I don't think Dougie is lying to them about HGTV wanting the changes.

The HGTV lady explicitly told him on the show to change that part, because it made it seem like she was going to leave Asher and it was bad vibes.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Harriet Carker posted:

My favorite moment was Whitney knocking Asher's hand off her shoulder in the dinner scene while Dougie scarfed down edamame and nodded along to the HGTV lady even though nobody was looking at him.

That whole scene is what should get Emma the Emmy. Trapped literally between the husband she hates and an executive with her success in her hands that completely doesn't get Whit's 'vision' and is forcing her to stay in that marriage. Its a perfect depiction of hell.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
The "good girl" at the end is creepy, like a flash of what Asher is doing behind his words. I assume Whitney's plan was to push Asher to leave and convince the execs to turn the show into something closer to her singular vision, but Asher read this and understood that if he stays there's nothing she can do about it without losing the show and uses this to upturn the power dynamic of the relationship while seemingly coming from a place of pathetic worship. Amazing writing that in an admission of how terrible a person he is he is doing something terrible.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

He wanted badly to make something else, but obviously HGTV is not going to go for that. It's not their brand.

This has been one of my wife's running commentaries in recent weeks, just how off-brand Dougie's poo poo-stirring was for HGTV. "They'd never show any of this!"

Anyway, this episode was intense even for the show us to this point. I knew I was in for a doozy with a pretty healthy amount of unread posts waiting for me.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
drat that episode made me a little nauseous lol. It's like the social and emotional equivalent of blood and gore

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Whoa! Can't wait to see how this wraps up.

Also....Emma Stone was nominated for a Golden Globe for the show.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

This show breaks my brain, both in the sense of the plot and production, but also that Oscar winner Emma Stone is starring across cool-guy Nathan Fielder working with Benny Safdie to make a really unique and evocative show.

We're all cringing and getting real uncomfortable, even as seasoned vets of discomfort in these forums (I know, turn on my monitor). I truly can't imagine the reaction of someone who knows Emma from LaLaLand or Spiderman hearing trying to get through an episode, much less the season.

I'm really glad they all took the risk to make this. I know Nathan is really the most talented of the three, but he's so relaxed and chill and I'm sure he's teaching Benny and Emma a lot.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Turn on you’re monitor

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I haven't seen Poor Things yet, but this has been really making me come around on Emma Stone. I love the chemistry between her and Nathan. Not their characters, obviously, but they play off of each other so well.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

discoukulele posted:

I haven't seen Poor Things yet, but this has been really making me come around on Emma Stone. I love the chemistry between her and Nathan. Not their characters, obviously, but they play off of each other so well.

emma stone is great, go watch maniac if you want another amazing emma stone show to watch

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Its so funny that Emma Stone was actually given the more brutal cringing moments than Nathan Fielder.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

snoremac posted:

The "good girl" at the end is creepy, like a flash of what Asher is doing behind his words. I assume Whitney's plan was to push Asher to leave and convince the execs to turn the show into something closer to her singular vision, but Asher read this and understood that if he stays there's nothing she can do about it without losing the show and uses this to upturn the power dynamic of the relationship while seemingly coming from a place of pathetic worship. Amazing writing that in an admission of how terrible a person he is he is doing something terrible.

I didn't read it as that. It seemed to me like she clearly wants out of the marriage. She was fine with doing a 180 and being affectionate again it that's what the show needed. But then Asher began acting extra repulsive with his cuck fetish and empty bravery. Once the HGTV exec made it clear that they don't really want to make the show she has in mind, it seems like her plan was to push asher away, but also allow that to nuke the show so she isn't blamed for it. I don't think asher is manipulating her, as much as he's just actually that pathetic. It was hard to read whitney's reaction since I wasn't sure if she was genuinely moved (probably not) or saddened that she's saddled with the obligation of being with such a dork and there's no way she's going to be able to get out of it without looking like an awful person.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I truly can't imagine the reaction of someone who knows Emma from LaLaLand or Spiderman hearing trying to get through an episode, much less the season.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

unbelievably good show, the audience is wrong

holding my breath for 45m a week is doing me good right

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Lister posted:

I didn't read it as that. It seemed to me like she clearly wants out of the marriage. She was fine with doing a 180 and being affectionate again it that's what the show needed. But then Asher began acting extra repulsive with his cuck fetish and empty bravery. Once the HGTV exec made it clear that they don't really want to make the show she has in mind, it seems like her plan was to push asher away, but also allow that to nuke the show so she isn't blamed for it. I don't think asher is manipulating her, as much as he's just actually that pathetic. It was hard to read whitney's reaction since I wasn't sure if she was genuinely moved (probably not) or saddened that she's saddled with the obligation of being with such a dork and there's no way she's going to be able to get out of it without looking like an awful person.
I agree with that reading of Whitney and I suppose you're right too that she was looking to nuke the show blamelessly. I suppose his "good girl" could have just been another of his pathetic macho overtures blindly delivered in the midst of his disgusting servile behaviour.

On paper he's bullied and troubled by his social awkwardness, and I've felt bad for him sometimes, and Whitney and Dougie are also terrible, but then I see who he really is and I probably hate him the most.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The real flipanthropy is gonna be Whitney and Asher losing everything.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

it's important to note that it's fliplanthropy, an even worse title

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Not to be confused with her jeans project, flip-pantsthropy

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

The real flipanthropy is gonna be Whitney and Asher losing everything.

It's gonna be a fliptastrope

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Imagine paying 1.5k for one of those little bowls.
Also it's weird how much better Whitney / Emma looks when she has her hair tied back.

Nathan is a good actor and makes me so goddamn uncomfortable. "That's a good girl."

atrus50 posted:

ahhh its mirrors on mirrors in this show

Makes sense. Most scenes are shot through glass or reflections after all. I consciously watched for that this episode. It's specifically Whitney. Either she's behind glass or has her face turned way from the viewer. The scene viewing was actually one of the first clear shots of hers.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 6, 2024

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Was anyone shown to be in the car that drives past Whitney to the stores at the start? Or was this just a cool little opening?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

snoremac posted:

Was anyone shown to be in the car that drives past Whitney to the stores at the start? Or was this just a cool little opening?

there's been a lot of implied camera crew filming footage through the show - and not all of it feels like the hand of Dougie

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

:stare: that ending lmao. I love this show.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

alf_pogs posted:

I honestly can't wait to smash the whole thing again, what a delightful sour candy of a show
Big same, and I’ve already watched nearly every episode twice! If this sticks the landing it’s probably gonna be my fave show since Twin Peaks: The Return

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I heard the ending is very divisive and outlandish and Nathan and Benny seem to think nobody will be able to guess it; I'm gonna guess it's something like, the paranormal is real and they end up with a paranormal TV show that's a huge success for having conclusive proof of ghosts and I dunno, maybe they start gentrifying the afterlife or something while Whitney refuses to get the curse lifted because it's culturally insensitive. Or I dunno, maybe they were dead all along.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I have three ideas ordered by decreasing likeliness.

La Espanola is actually a sealing ground for ancient evils. Whitney is tearing down houses and erroding the community to destroy the sanctity of the place to let them free.

The show is happening in the real world, but it turns out that's not ours. We are a fictional world within the Curse-Verse. Whitney and Asher had a side gig where they played the characters "Emma Stone" and "Nathan Fielder."

Everything turns out fine and these crazy idealists manage to influence the world for the better and will stay in a happy realtionship built on a foundation of trust and mutual respect.

Let's see if Nathan can top any of this.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 6, 2024

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Reddit is full of completely unhinged theories, as per usual.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the show is completely unhinged, of course the theories about it are going to be as well

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

A rare moment of support for the Tomatometer here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
id place a tenner on it going out like the holy mountain, where all three characters get happy endings and a season 2 renewal announced before the show makes it on air