Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
HENNIMORE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

RBA Starblade posted:

Rebel Moon 1.04 patch notes:

-Spider boss now has 15% more HP.
-Plasma sword damage cut 10%. We feel like their damage was out of line with other weapons.
-Fascist aim improved. They were missing too many shots, reducing difficulty more than expected. To assist with this we have also increased the bullet time meter by 20 seconds.
-Reduced efficiency of miracle builds.

Added more slo mo

Added more snapped necks

Added more oiled muscley men

Toned down the glowing blue dong

Added more exploding wheelchairs

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Space Fish posted:

IIRC Stranger Things changed a line or two of dialog to an older season so it would line up with series continuity, or something like that.

Plus Across the Spider-Verse having multiple versions with small/negligible differences.

The big one i remember is removing George Bush's severed head from Game Of Thrones.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm holding off on Rebel Moon until the full Snyder Cut comes out, but I did finally watch Army of Thieves. Have to admit, I think I liked it more than Army of the Dead. Dawn of the Dead is still the best Snyder zombie movie, though.

Space Fish posted:

IIRC Stranger Things changed a line or two of dialog to an older season so it would line up with series continuity, or something like that.

Plus Across the Spider-Verse having multiple versions with small/negligible differences.

Who could forget the Cats update to add the completed cat costumes to the actors?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Captain America 2 also had the different catch-up lists for versions released in different countries.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's entirely possible to have all the data in the world and still make stupid decisions based on failson cocaine vibes.

Season Three Barry had a pretty good take on this. Spoilers if you’re mid series but probably not something that will mess up your enjoyment too much if you end up watching it down the line.

https://youtu.be/ktAbh39aoU8?feature=shared

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

movie owns :black101: but still, #releasethesnydercut

edit: ah whoops, this isn't the moon thread.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

In the running to be my favorite character introduction in a Snyder film. I mentioned it in the Rebel Moon thread, but the title card reveal panning down to the subtitle with the way the imagery is shot felt like the opening to a stage play -- big "curtain opening" energy.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It being 2024 of course means that the same, tired discourse around Man of Steel and Batman v Superman (specifically the "Martha" scene) continues to rage on as if they came out yesterday. But it did get me thinking about some criticisms I remember seeing expressed around the Snyder Cut of Justice League came out. Someone said it was the best of three films of "the least interesting depiction of Superman". That one stuck with me for some reason and I don't know why. But since those three films I've been slowly more interested in reading Superman comics and I got a few last year. I only gravitated towards either stand alone stories or author arcs where I pick up an author's run and stop when they're finished or if the main story arc they've been telling ends. After reading a few of them, of which I'll get into in a bit, I can now say that I have no idea what "interesting" means to the person who said that and to what it means to the fandom at large.

Superman tends to be the least interesting character in his own stories. Interesting stories happen around him and sometimes someone, usually the antagonist, brings up interesting points but they never get explored by Superman - due to lack of talent on the writer, editorial cowardice (we've all see the reaction to Superman struggling with something other than fighting a being that can punch harder) or a combination of factors. Space Age is a good book with a great premise that does explore this a little bit and the character does come to a great conclusion. Likewise I gave Morrison's initial run on New-52 (or at least until the conclusion of his first major story arc) and it had the opposite trajectory: it started off with golden age Superman attitude that was swiftly dropped the moment he got his suit - like they were afraid to have Superman threaten big buisnessmen into being decent human beings and being in conflict with the pigs in his "traditional" look so he only does it when he's dressed by a blue collar worker.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some wholesome chungus Superman stories as much as the next person. He's built for that sort of thing, but I'd like to know what fans who thought Man of Steel's Superman was uninteresting is considered interesting stories in the comics. Like outside of Elseworld stories. We all know Secret Identity is top-tier incredible and super interesting, but like mainline comic stuff that would be the basis for a franchise. The trouble with the internet is that you can say any kind of declarative statement without offering a follow-up (examples, for instance). How about you all? Which books would you consider the character to be really interesting an why?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Jimbot posted:

Superman tends to be the least interesting character in his own stories.

I say this as a Snyder fan, but I was really feeling this on my last Man of Steel rewatch. I'm no professional critic, but it struck me how little Henry had to say in Man of Steel - he's more of a shadow over the story, and I wish we had spent some more time with him and his character.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

roffels posted:

I say this as a Snyder fan, but I was really feeling this on my last Man of Steel rewatch. I'm no professional critic, but it struck me how little Henry had to say in Man of Steel - he's more of a shadow over the story, and I wish we had spent some more time with him and his character.

This is a big reason why don’t really like it. I got nothing to latch on to.

Why I vastly prefer the UC of BvS because it really gets more into Clark as a character without the flashbacks. I don’t like the flashbacks

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

roffels posted:

I felt the opposite. I adored how the flashbacks set up his actions as an adult. He's trying to find himself and where he stands in the world then has to decide what he wants to do when he can no longer hide. He's unsure of himself and powers, he makes mistakes and decidedly human in the depiction. We get to see him at his most vulnerable several times in the film and it's great.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1743367098133516304?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

icon-ic

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Who's going to be number two

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Thanks for the heads up :sickos:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

GoldStandardConure posted:

I think I remember you posting about the Williams concert, was that the one that had Speilberg there introducing and talking about Williams music?

Missed this, but yep. That was just amazing.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

RBA Starblade posted:

Who does number two work for?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

"This is for what now?"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

RBA Starblade posted:

Compared to Snyder

Everybody is number two!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Should've had Scorsese do one.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
I think this belongs here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9X_FmCbrIA

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

It definitely does.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/realtheclint/status/1746010313378373751?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

lol what the gently caress is that first reply.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

So I got around to watching this and unfortunately I didn’t like it all that much. It wasn’t awful but I’m generally on Zack’s wavelength and this movie just didn’t work for me. I’m sure the directors cut will be better, just not sure it’ll salvage it for me. My issues, which have already mostly been brought up:

- it has some really nice shots but it’s not nearly as nice to look at as Zack’s films with Larry Fong as DP. I did find the exaggerated bokeh lens distracting in some shots as well.
- characterization is almost completely absent for pretty much everyone. Noble is the only character that feels realized and that’s largely due to Skrein just chewing the hell out of scenery.
- the action is dull. It lacks impact and feels let down by the choreography. I miss the speed ramping. Some of the action scenes are almost completely incomprehensible. The final shootout is devoid of any geography. It just feels like people facing in random directions shooting guns at random.
- the most interesting threads are dropped in favor of moving then plot along quickly enough to get to the climactic battle so we can end the movie to set up part two. I wanted more Jimmy. Would have even enjoyed more politics.

Anyway, kinda bummed but I’ll give it another shot when the directors cut comes out.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

- the action is dull. It lacks impact and feels let down by the choreography. I miss the speed ramping. Some of the action scenes are almost completely incomprehensible. The final shootout is devoid of any geography. It just feels like people facing in random directions shooting guns at random.

This is the real killer for me. Normally Snyder is great at showing the whole action/reaction exchange and that keeps being missing in this cut. Hopefully that means, unlike BvS which was shot for PG-13 with a little blood added for R, this has some gnarly stuff that had to be completely removed.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The giant syringe headshot is surely going to be gnarly as hell

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do get the strong vibe it's basically the cut-for-syndication version of the movie coming out first.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

After seeing how much the two cuts changed the final product for M3gan, I think I’m going to wait for the unrated cut to drop.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I didn't like Rebel Moon at all, haven't liked anything other than Dawn of the Dead until I saw the ZS Justice league. now I don't know whether I liked ZSJL because I hated the other version so much or if I saw anything to like in it. I think I'll try the directors cut to make sure.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Does anyone have any of the good video essays on Zack Snyder's work? I remember this one, but I'm sure there were others I remember enjoying but can't seem to find now.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Here's one about the same length as the on you posted. Another that's two minutes long. Both well-made. The first one is kind of a rebuttal of some popular criticisms of the director, the other is an analysis of a scene from Man of Steel. I like the second one a lot just because of how insightful it is towards film-making techniques. It's short, concise and ties the film-making with the story being told. I like a good ol' deep dive in the themes, text and subtext of a film but I've really started to appreciate more technical analysis of these films in recent years.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 20, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Agent Rush posted:

Does anyone have any of the good video essays on Zack Snyder's work? I remember this one, but I'm sure there were others I remember enjoying but can't seem to find now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY7EnEuqb7M

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Ah yeah, that's the one where the comments are full of people making detailed comments about how Zack Snyder would kill them in a movie for being gay.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Agent Rush posted:

Aside from the ones Jimbot mentioned, here's a few others

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wRO_OJS848
From our very own Robot Style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zA2tRl7d-s&t=2s
And this one is from Josh

Both of these are excellent, and their other videos are great too, well worth a look

In addition to these, I'd give this one a look
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMrWK4RxyiU&t=1s

And while technically not an essay, i think this short video is cool too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tt_42YRIJo

I will find you and speed-ramp punch you out a window, CP

https://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=537295512

Oh hi. Still waiting for that lotr video you teased at the end of your Rogue one video!

McCloud fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 20, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

😈

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm gonna flame James Gunn now

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Adbot