Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Silly Burrito posted:

New one for me today, I’m sitting downstairs at Brak’s work, waiting for her to get done so we can catch our flight, and someone comes in with a live baby pelican in a ream of paper box. I guess it’s wounded? They’re calling LSU, and putting rocks on this box to keep him from leaving.

When they lift the box lid, the pelican is pecking to get out, I say let him out but I’m just a visitor here. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Kalli posted:

Also I found a bug today where our name parser breaks if someone enters a provider with the same first and last name. Which is really annoying because how many Dr's could there possibly be in the US with matching names and secondly, that's the exact kind of bug I'd expect to have been found in testing as surely someone would've been lazy enough to put in Smith,Smith as a dr name somewhere.

Not a doctor but my kid’s therapist does, that’s at least 1 potential more conflict in the country!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

LeeMajors posted:

lol what town? I have to know

Anderson. Basically was like "lol no, my college football team is in the championship, I can in on zoom, thank you"

Edit: I've already been there, no desire to return unless I need to.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Because of my my first named is spelled I constantly get called other popular 80s girls names that start with the same letter. A friend of mine works in an office where 4 people have her first name and someone's last name differs only at the ending (think Michael vs Michaels).

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

seiferguy posted:

Anderson. Basically was like "lol no, my college football team is in the championship, I can in on zoom, thank you"

Edit: I've already been there, no desire to return unless I need to.

Oh, sir, we have way more middle of nowhere than that now. Haha.

But yeah, that would’ve been a bad choice go huskies

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Freaquency posted:

Dr. Duran Duran thanks you

Dr. Durand Durand :eng101:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kalli posted:

.... Fine I'll submit the bugfix

I assume you've probably seen this essay at some point but just in case you haven't, or want the link to pass around:
https://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names/

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

LeeMajors posted:

When I last went there, I flew into Charlotte and drove down. The interstate was closed either for construction or an accident for a short bit so it routed me through a real podunk town. Now, granted this was at night but holy hell I felt like I was gonna get murdered while I was driving around, some eerie vibes there.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I also got a drone at Christmas, gonna try and take it to a park or something when the weather warms up a bit.

Early experiment with the drone (and with editing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAhtGX0CYcE

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Silly Burrito posted:

New one for me today, I’m sitting downstairs at Brak’s work, waiting for her to get done so we can catch our flight, and someone comes in with a live baby pelican in a ream of paper box. I guess it’s wounded? They’re calling LSU, and putting rocks on this box to keep him from leaving.

When they lift the box lid, the pelican is pecking to get out, I say let him out but I’m just a visitor here. :shrug:

DON'T PELICAN OPEN INSIDE

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

General Dog posted:

Early experiment with the drone (and with editing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAhtGX0CYcE

Thats cool

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Just got back from our Christmas road trip. Some real sicko stats here:

Really annoyed that I was off from an even 4400 by .1 of a mile, and that a light rail train blocked me and kept me from an even 70 hours :mad:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

LeeMajors posted:

lol yeah, there are way worse places than Anderson these days.

Not that it's great, but Greenville isn't that far away if you need to get away

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Freaquency posted:

Just got back from our Christmas road trip. Some real sicko stats here:

Really annoyed that I was off from an even 4400 by .1 of a mile, and that a light rail train blocked me and kept me from an even 70 hours :mad:

70 hours? In a car?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I get the shits when I have to drive more than an hour.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Where’d you go, the North Pole?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

No Butt Stuff posted:

70 hours? In a car?

We certainly didn’t walk it :) Left the 21st and got back about an hour ago. 4 days out, then 10 or so days visiting, then 4 back. We stopped in:

*Manhattan, KS
*St Louis
*Asheville
*Atlanta
*Memphis
*OKC

We don’t make any one leg too long so we can check stuff out along the way. Saw the Gateway Arch, got BBQ and listened to some music on Beale Street in Memphis, visited Tupelo and took a picture in front of an Elvis mural, and did quite a bit of hiking. Coolest place was Memphis, OKC was kinda meh. It’s fun!

General Dog posted:

Where’d you go, the North Pole?

CO > NC and back

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
My maternal grandparents drove most everywhere instead of flying. They weren't against flying but just seemed to prefer driving. They owned a home in Idaho and my granddad taught in Houston so they would summer in Idaho and drive back to Houston for the school year, pretty much every year. When I was two I lived in Alaska and once they drove me a toddler, to Houston from Anchorage and watched me for two weeks so my parents could have a break.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I like a good road trip and while talking to my sister over dinner we got to talking about cars. I'll likely need to replace my 2002 Toyota Highlander soon and I'll likely get a Toyota hybrid. I'm not 100% set on going full electric vehicle as I often go out in the woods and long road trips can mean longer downtime recharging the battery.

I wish car companies went with the hydrogen slurry system so that it could be sucked out/pumped in of cars to quickly "recharge" them instead of using the current battery system.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I think the worst I ever did was about 3,500 miles. Chicago to the east tip of Maine and then back via Vermont and Detroit. God that was so much driving. I don’t really mind a good road trip, but that was the most I could stomach.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I did Ohio to Austin, TX and by the end of it I wanted to strangle the 3 other guys in my car

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Mines only 1500 miles from LA to Grants Pass Oregon and back

The 5 all the way up and the 101 most of the way down…..gently caress San Fransisco. Bumper to bumper at 2am on a Sunday haha

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 6, 2024

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

I've done Seattle to Tijuana but it was a surly teen so I hated all of it.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

a sexual elk posted:

Mines only 1500 miles from LA to Grants Pass Oregon and back

The 5 all the way up and the 101 most of the way down…..gently caress San Fransisco. Bumper to bumper at 2am on a Sunday haha

I think my longest drive was from Madison, WI, to Denver, with my ex-wife before we were engaged. So that was from south-central Wisconsin to Iowa, then west on I-80 all the way across the state, then Nebraska (which has, like, one turn after you get past Lincoln) and then a huge chunk of Colorado.

That drained my soul.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Stayed up all night with 18-year-old Braks at her dad’s house in Lexington, left around 6am, drove 832.3 miles straight with only a 10 minute rest stop (I was stupid), got home at 6:55 pm, made the family church portrait appointment at 7pm, went home and collapsed.

Worth it.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

/whip noise

E: the family pic I mean

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

a sexual elk posted:

/whip noise

E: the family pic I mean

Either one works I guess. :)

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Two former roommates and I once made the return trip from San Francisco to Seattle without stopping. During my leg from like midnight on I definitely dozed off for a few seconds on the freeway. Frankly, I'm not sure how we got back safely, that was an incredibly stupid decision but I was fed up enough with the two of them that I just wanted to get back to my parents' house for a few days.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Manoueverable posted:

Two former roommates and I once made the return trip from San Francisco to Seattle without stopping. During my leg from like midnight on I definitely dozed off for a few seconds on the freeway. Frankly, I'm not sure how we got back safely, that was an incredibly stupid decision but I was fed up enough with the two of them that I just wanted to get back to my parents' house for a few days.

Dude my 3 y/o was up the entire time from Eureka to LA…. I’m still holding a grudge

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Longest nonstop drives I've done was was Boston, MA to Savannah, GA and Portland, OR to San Diego, CA.

Longest overall drives were Boston to San Diego, Boston to Portland, OR, and The Villages, FL to Portland, OR.

This helped me to reach my goal of being in every state in the US. Last one on my bucket list is Hawaii because I can't drive to it, then I've been in all 50 states.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Flight from Mobile to Charlotte on a little Embraer tin can, got to cruising altitude and ripped the longest, loudest fart in years. Surrounded by skinny women so I was instantly the suspect. Just put on a dumb, ignorant smile for the rest of the flight and tried to ignore the visual daggers.

Scoped out the gate that the OKC flight is leaving from in 4 hours. Looked behind and one of them saw me there and silently did the arms down gesture of "you have got to be kidding me"

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

GD_American posted:

Flight from Mobile to Charlotte on a little Embraer tin can, got to cruising altitude and ripped the longest, loudest fart in years. Surrounded by skinny women so I was instantly the suspect. Just put on a dumb, ignorant smile for the rest of the flight and tried to ignore the visual daggers.

Scoped out the gate that the OKC flight is leaving from in 4 hours. Looked behind and one of them saw me there and silently did the arms down gesture of "you have got to be kidding me"

Next time tell them to open a window if they're so offended.
Just wait until the plane lands before doing so, or you get this:
https://x.com/jammulinks/status/1743645499528204761?s=46&t=crshEc6ZJO1zh40ZDAIfPQ

I took my sister to PDX this morning so she could fly home & causally mentioned this to her.

She was not amused.

Combined with the attempted crashing of another Alaska Airlines plane a couple months ago, I'm starting to think the sky's of Portland are cursed.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

My train is delayed and I am annoyed. I even got here really early.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I wish someone could make them run on time.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
It's snowing for the first time this season, and carrying on the tradition from last year, it's just heavy garbage slop

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

General Dog posted:

Everyone in the NCAA thread has long known this.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

General Dog posted:

Japanese bureaucracy apologizes when they run ahead of schedule :eng101:

GD_American posted:

Everyone in the NCAA thread has long known this.

:haw:

Longest drive I've done is Portland to Boulder, that was done once each way and split in half at Salt Lake each time, but I couldn't share driving duties either time.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

General Dog posted:

In seriousness, that would require them to ever not prioritize corporate interests(in this case, the freight companies that own most of the actual rail lines and prioritize themselves over passenger cars even though [IIRC] they're not supposed to) and invest in rail infrastructure and better trains. Oh, and a bureaucracy we don't periodically gut like a fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Driving from Norman, OK to Miami to see my team lose to Tim Tebow was a hell of a trip.