Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
you can make it a goal to try to up your rosen score and see for yourself how wild your chess can get. without even keeping them in mind i've earned 18 trophies across 6 categories, and they each feel good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

you can make it a goal to try to up your rosen score and see for yourself how wild your chess can get. without even keeping them in mind i've earned 18 trophies across 6 categories, and they each feel good
tell me you play too much bullet without etc

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I have randomly gotten Pawn Cube, Pawn Diamond and Promote a Pawn Within 8 Moves. Just love doing weird things with pawns apparently

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

jesus WEP posted:

tell me you play too much bullet without etc

:whitewater:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
No help because it's an ongoing game but:

Today in Winning Positions I'm At Least 50/50 to Blow

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I would blow that so hard.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

former glory posted:

I would blow that so hard.

:same:, but as either side

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

quote:

Artem_kr15
I am infuriated by those people who specifically make one move in 24 hours, look at my profile I won 20 games, and 1000 elo player makes one move in 24 hours on purpose

:qq:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Mate in 1 puzzles being rated 2000ish just feels wrong

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

oh it actually links to the relevant games, too, this is fun

lol

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

was this another dubov / nepo game

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Saw on TikTok an analysis board that actually explained why something was an inaccuracy, mistake, or blunder, rather than just saying x was best. Does anyone know what might be? Thought it was lichess but can't find it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Saw on TikTok an analysis board that actually explained why something was an inaccuracy, mistake, or blunder, rather than just saying x was best. Does anyone know what might be? Thought it was lichess but can't find it.

Lichess lets you do that, but doesn't do it for you.

Convert your analysis to a study, comment away

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Chess.com's game review will do this behind a paywall. I know the top tier gives you unlimited and the middle tier gives one per day. I'm not sure if below that you also get one per day or not.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Huxley posted:

Chess.com's game review will do this behind a paywall. I know the top tier gives you unlimited and the middle tier gives one per day. I'm not sure if below that you also get one per day or not.

You get a free one every day with no subscription I think. It's mostly pretty good, it'll tell you why a move is categorized in a certain way and then show you the line that results from it. So if you blunder, it will say "this loses a rook" and then show you the line of computer moves ending with the rook gone. The only issues with it are: A: that it sometimes fails to do this, especially on moves that are good/inaccuracy where the shift in value is due to subtle positional stuff and B: it does not scale the advice to your level and will label something a blunder and then show a line of like 20 brilliant moves in a row from your opponent who, in real life, hung mate in one on the next move because this is a like 700 rated game.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Huxley posted:

It's the coaches commentary you get one of at middle tier. Game analysis is unlimited.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The game had reached a drawn position, and I offered the other guy a draw. He declined, and then spent the last few minutes on his clock very carefully thinking through his moves. He offered me a draw with 2 seconds left on his clock. I declined.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Who wouldn't?

My strategy of playing one move a day on the chess.com tournament is paying off. Wild how people who don't want to play 1 day time control sign up for 1 day time control tournaments. I do feel bad for the people who had a decent elo getting it erased by me starting out at 400. I haven't lost and am up to 700 but that is way lower than what I am, so there is more damage to come lol

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Did someone make a youtube video advertising the Englund gambit recently? I have seen it more often this week then in the whole of 2023.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Today in Time Better Spent Than Thinking About Openings: Doing this until it is impossible to get wrong ever again.

https://www.chess.com/endgames/pawn/winning-king-and-pawn/challenge

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:

Huxley posted:

Today in Time Better Spent Than Thinking About Openings: Doing this until it is impossible to get wrong ever again.

Getting my head around king opposition took forever and I still get mega stressed I’m going to bungle into a draw/stalemate….and often do just that.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

Huxley posted:

I am so bad at these lol

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think the idea is, you should be able to do these 100% of the time as cleanly as you do King and Queen mating (which this will also make you absolutely bulletproof at, since you have to do it every time).

My record so far is 1:46.4. I still get screwed up stalemating in the corner every now and then, but a week ago I couldn't do them at all.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Huxley posted:

this is cool, thanks for sharing.

eventually chess dot com tried to hassle me into logging in, so i found this alternative https://chess-endgame-trainer.firebaseapp.com/home

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Cool daily puzzle on lichess today (Black to play)
https://lichess.org/training/ALBny

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

fisting by many posted:

who needs another queen, when I could have a knight instead?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Is it Qg1+ Kg3 f1=N+ winning White's queen via discovered attack?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Maugrim posted:

Is it Qg1+ Kg3 f1=N+ winning White's queen via discovered attack?

You can do the puzzle at the link and find out yourself!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

fisting by many posted:

I like that these puzzles aren't always about getting a checkmate but I often get stuck because a given puzzle really looks like I'm supposed to be getting a checkmate
but in this case
having wasted time trying to calculate move 3 before making move 1, I went ahead and tried the correct moves 1 and 2, and then it only took one fuckup before I realized the white queen was hanging. I feel like IRL I'd have hosed it up insisting to myself that there was a checkmate on the board and then failing to take the white queen.
nice puzzle!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i love the little icons they use for the different puzzle themes https://lichess.org/training/themes

but especially the one for underpromotion (attached)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

heck yeah

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

1000 elo?

I'm trying to figure out how your opponent could let that happen without a blunder, and it feels like a 1k kind of mistake

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The fact that the rook blocking the king's escape is discovered feels non-obvious to me.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Depending on the previous move its not that easy to stop. Imagine if the bishop was on c1 the move prior.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

ikanreed posted:

1000 elo?

I'm trying to figure out how your opponent could let that happen without a blunder, and it feels like a 1k kind of mistake

:iiam:

It's the first checkmate I've gotten in this chess.com daily tournament. These daily games are fun.

e: and the computer gave me a !

Bruce Hussein Daddy fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 21, 2024

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

Getting my head around king opposition took forever and I still get mega stressed I’m going to bungle into a draw/stalemate….and often do just that.

The ones that kill me are like, "King Opposition Works! Distance Opposition Works! Same-color Corner Opposition Works!"

Unless it doesn't!

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Huxley posted:

The ones that kill me are like, "King Opposition Works! Distance Opposition Works! Same-color Corner Opposition Works!"

Unless it doesn't!

I don't know what any of those terms mean, and a few days ago I would have bungled that endgame for sure. But I trial and errored my way through the King and Pawn endgame section of the link posted by Helianthus for a while until I got a bit of an intuitive understanding of things and could get through all the exercises without making mistakes. I just tried out your example against the computer and had no issue with it, so that's my recommendation. (I haven't delved into the King and Pawn vs King and Pawn section yet, it looks scary).

Edit: In hindsight, it looks like you are already using that site, in which case keep it up.

Pteretis fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 23, 2024

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The trick is, you can take opposition by making a rectangle, stepping into the same color as black just moved to. So you assume Ke2 must be winning, except in this case it doesn't work because when you play Kf4 he just reaches f6 and you lose. So you just have to do the math to see you need the extra tempo of going f2-g3-g4-f4 so you step in front of him, not the other way around.

ie, all your opposition theory works (unless it doesn't)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

:iiam:

It's the first checkmate I've gotten in this chess.com daily tournament. These daily games are fun.

e: and the computer gave me a !

What was the time control on that game?

Trapping the queen earns a !, but if it were me I might have gone g6 to attack the queen without even realizing it was trapped, which means the ! isn't necessarily like... earned, if you know what I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

What was the time control on that game?

Trapping the queen earns a !, but if it were me I might have gone g6 to attack the queen without even realizing it was trapped, which means the ! isn't necessarily like... earned, if you know what I mean.

i just give myself the benefit of the doubt and credit any ! or !!s where the resulting line resembles the computer line at all as Something I Did On Purpose

at <5 minute time controls you're basically just believing the heart of the cards for most moves anyway so you might as well assume that the background chess engine in your brain knew that was going to happen