Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

mcbexx posted:

Grabbed the Guardians of the Galaxy freebie from EGS (available until 1/11) and I am postively surprised by it.

They nailed the characters, the crew banter and the aesthetics so far, even if they could not use the the MCU likenesses.

Some amazing set pieces and art direction. I just finished the Sacrosanct chapter last night and that was some cool design.

Combat can get hectic and a bit repetitive, there are QTEs and unskippable cutscenes that lead up to them, so if you fail because they are a bit obscure at first (or are old like me) you gotta sit through them multiple times.
(Seriously, sudden QTE out of nowhere where you need to figure out you have to align three circles with mouse AND keyboard at the same time and in the end confirm with MIDDLE mouse button or it's game over?)

Solid performance (100 fps) on a 2070S at 3440x1440 with DLSS set to balanced, looks very crisp overall.

But apart from that, good fun so far and the story seems to be compelling enough to push forward. Was not expecing to enjoy it as much as I do.

If you're not a Steam purist, hop on and get it.

It's a fun game but only if you can play it with the licensed music on. I watched a few streams here and there and it's just a sad affair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yes, playing the game is usually more fun than watching a video of someone else playing it. A sad affair, one might say.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Serephina posted:

Yes, playing the game is usually more fun than watching a video of someone else playing it. A sad affair, one might say.

lol

why are nerds so desperate to punch down about literally anything

you dweeb. you dorklord

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

boofhead posted:

lol

you dweeb. you dorklord

you don't know what punching down means

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

you don't know what punching down means

its what i do to your dad when we fight over extra shifts at the dick sucking factory

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

boofhead posted:

lol

you dweeb. you dorklord

There’s something about video games that makes people want to turn every conversation into a fight, even when people agree with each other. I blame gamefaqs but I don’t know why

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Ainsley McTree posted:

There’s something about video games that makes people want to turn every conversation into a fight, even when people agree with each other. I blame gamefaqs but I don’t know why

No this is untrue and you are wrong. Wanna fight about it?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Harvestella: I feel like I'm playing a SNES game just with 3d graphics. Everything is super charming, weirdly clunky, dialogue is not deep at all, and there's pure insanity like "you can't unlock manual saving until after the multiple hours long tutorial"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Serephina posted:

It was a really complicated and long post but I took the time to do some analysis. It turns out they were talking about the licensed music going away when you have streaming mode on, not that the game is more fun when you’re playing it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Harvestella: I feel like I'm playing a SNES game just with 3d graphics. Everything is super charming, weirdly clunky, dialogue is not deep at all, and there's pure insanity like "you can't unlock manual saving until after the multiple hours long tutorial"

Harvestella was a ton of fun. There isn’t a single area where it excels but it was still one of the most enjoyable games of the year.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
No more fighting! I'm having a dreadful day! Stop!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

Harvestella was a ton of fun. There isn’t a single area where it excels but it was still one of the most enjoyable games of the year.

:yeah: I'm not far in - like, I'm STILL in the tutorial and haven't unlocked saving, but everything about it is oozing charm and chill vibes, and it's going perfectly when paired with more serious, thinky stuff like the Banished Vault.

Which, speaking of, I did actually pick up and it does feel like homework, but in a way where it's super satisfying?

Genuinely if my math classes had given me their assignments wrapped in a beautiful spooky religion-in-space aesthetic with free restarts of any level and a lavish manual to flip through in-game, well, I might not have failed some of those classes!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Apart from the music, which is generally often excellent, everything about harvestella is like a 6/10 on its own, but it all combines into something much more satisfying, I like it enough that I think I’m going to actually finish it.

I do hope that at some point the creepy green fairy stops saying “see you laterrr *hehhh*” every time I leave the farm though, I do not like her

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Imagine spending $20 on what is basically a newgrounds flash game just because it has your favorite angry racist attached to it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Is there a way to see your steam library, date bought, and time playing each game?

Chubby Henparty posted:

DOS1 is great and its just long enough that I've played through (hopefully) 3/4s twice and hopefully I'll get back and end it this time

"Yaheetech" sold me the best cheapo tiny pc desk at £35

That looks perfect for what I want.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Chubby Henparty posted:

DOS1 is great and its just long enough that I've played through (hopefully) 3/4s twice and hopefully I'll get back and end it this time

"Yaheetech" sold me the best cheapo tiny pc desk at £35

What desk is that, by the way? I think I found their store but it doesn't look like they're selling that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

StrixNebulosa posted:

Which, speaking of, I did actually pick up and it does feel like homework, but in a way where it's super satisfying?

Genuinely if my math classes had given me their assignments wrapped in a beautiful spooky religion-in-space aesthetic with free restarts of any level and a lavish manual to flip through in-game, well, I might not have failed some of those classes!

What did you pick up? Please tell me the name of this game!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

StrixNebulosa posted:

the Banished Vault.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Banished Vault is math.gif the game and it has a lot of style... probably going to make my GOTY list this year.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The latter, it is very "Cold Equations" in that you have a solar system with resources of varying difficulty to access and process to make the things you need to survive to the next system, and you have to spend resources to get resources in a limited number of turns. Your guide gives you all the formulae to plan things out but you also have to take into account attrition from random events, and/or the extra costs to mitigate those random events.

It's very mentally taxing but I thought in a good way

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2341070/The_Banished_Vault/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3NifGK7HfM

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bless you, I missed that context. Onto the wish list it goes…

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

slidebite posted:

Is there a way to see your steam library, date bought, and time playing each game?

Yes, kind of! Not in a combined view.

Go to your library, and you can sort it by last played / hours played / date added to library, etc.

For more crunchy stuff, go to: https://store.steampowered.com/account/licenses/ and https://store.steampowered.com/account/history/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Here's an example screenshot of how the sorting works:

Categories are also super easy to make - I have my library sorted by genre, then by some arbitrary stuff like "Is good for co-op" or "stuff I am focusing on right now"

e: my default library view is "stuff I am focusing on right now" sorted by last played, and the last thing I played was Total Annihilation, as I continue my quest to beat the Core Campaign one mission a day. Then it's stuff like BG3 and Harvestella and Fantasy General

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

slidebite posted:

You can see the date you bought games in your account history but that only shows games that you purchased on Steam. Anything that's free or that you got a key from elsewhere isn't tracked.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

You can see the date you bought games in your account history but that only shows games that you purchased on Steam. Anything that's free or that you got a key from elsewhere isn't tracked.

It is in the license activation page!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Gort posted:

What desk is that, by the way? I think I found their store but it doesn't look like they're selling that.

This was the listing from 2019, last review 2020: https://amzn.eu/d/9YVofHW

Shame if its gone, it's really ideal with the middle shelf removed for a tower.

Random unsolicited tip for the day: a cheap, upside down monitor arm makes a good keyboard tray

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
how’s riders republic? it’s still on sale for $10 (or $50 for the ultimate edition) and I’m in the mood for a big ol sandbox racer

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Playing through Talos II and I have to give the game props, its philosophy discussion is on point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3nKDr35ChA

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Serephina posted:

Recently played last of us part 1 and that experience convinced me to watch part 2. No regrets.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Rebel Blob posted:

Playing through Talos II and I have to give the game props, its philosophy discussion is on point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3nKDr35ChA

The John Carpenter interview where he says he doesn't give a poo poo if people remake his films as long as they pay him so he can continue to smoke weed and play video games all day is why he's a legend.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
If I like the combat and love the exploration in Souls games, did not click with those things in Sekiro, and love the combat in Nioh 2 - will I enjoy Wo Long? Or maybe Strangers Of Paradise?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Strangers is (kind of?) more on the character action branch of things and while Wo Long is parry focused it's both much more forgiving in its timing and wider in the things you can do in between parrying.

That said Wo Long is basically still just a Nioh game for the most part, exploration is pretty limited.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

My experience with Wo Long was it being a gigantic step back from Nioh and just terrible, terrible design. The way in which HP / Stamina works, the enemy design. It just didn't feel good.

Strangers of Paradise has a bad PC port but feels really solid and is closer to Nioh. Bad level design, but really solid combat / build diversity. Also the funniest storyline.

Neither of them are big on exploration ala Souls because they're 'level' based with a hub menu between them, like Nioh. I believe Wo Long is on game pass?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Wo Long had cool combat and spells (I like the parry focus even if it never felt as tight as Sekiro) but it also had some really bizarre steps backwards from Nioh 2 in terms of general QOL inventory/menu management stuff. It was a shame because I thought Nioh 2 did so well refining all those elements over the original, then Stranger of Paradise and Wo Long reintroduced a bunch of the jank.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

GhostDog posted:

If I like the combat and love the exploration in Souls games, did not click with those things in Sekiro, and love the combat in Nioh 2 - will I enjoy Wo Long? Or maybe Strangers Of Paradise?

From my experience: Wo Long no, Stranger yes.

Wo Long is more of a parry-fest like Sekiro, though it's not quite as extreme. You definitely have to master the parry, it's the core game mechanic, but there are still a lot of RPG systems like different weapons and spells and whatnot for you to play with.

Stranger of Paradise is way more similar to Nioh 2. There are some differences, like not having stamina, but in general it has the same mission-based structure and the combat has a similar feel. It's just more over the top and final fantasy-y, which is fun. And the plot is, like, genuinely good, which I did not expect out of a Team Ninja game.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Thanks, leaning more towards killing Chaos now, but going to wait for a Steam sale I think.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GhostDog posted:

I second the "Stranger of Paradise, Yes. Wo Long, No."

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
There's so much goddamn sandrock in my time at sandrock there's so much SO MUCH it's not even grinding it's well paced and the missions are always fresh there's just so much like I'm going pretty fast and I'm going to have 80 hours in the tank and about 1.5 in games years when the main quest completes

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m halfway through the second year now and honestly if it ended now that would be OK, but I can see that there are some things I haven’t unlocked yet, and number must go up

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My Time at Sandrock is really good and I'm not even that into these kinds of games normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
FWIW they massively improved Wo Long over the release of its DLCs. Granted, a lot of those improvements were stuff Nioh 2 either shipped with or already had by the end of its lifetime, so it's pretty weird, but I'd say it's a very good game right now. It's just nowhere near as varied or engaging as Nioh 2, more like a Nioh 1.5 - I'd say poor enemy variety is its biggest flaw at the moment. Also the DLC weapons are cool as hell but the end bosses of DLCs 2 and 3 are absurd difficulty spikes.