Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This thread got me to try the first chapter of Higurashi When They Cry and er, what the gently caress is this game? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I need to try out Roottrees and Elsinore. Probably Slay the Princess too (though I might just wait for that expanded release people mentioned.

And then there's Infinite Wealth and FF7R2 and Granblue Relink and gah

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Speaking of upcoming games, I don't think I've seen Unicorn Overlord mentioned here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bmh1B-sglo

Day one for me.

Rarity posted:

This thread got me to try the first chapter of Higurashi When They Cry and er, what the gently caress is this game? :stare:

If it's anything like the anime you've not seen anything yet.
It's been like 15 years and I still have an irrational fear of my fingernails getting torn off.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Picked up Hi-fi Rush during steam sale based on the thread and having a blast! I imagine I will also pick up Lies of P and Alan Wake II when they are more heavily discounted. Love thread, thanks again VG and Rarity for all your efforts.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

JonathonSpectre posted:

Well, Slay the Princess was loving amazing. Do NOT read this spoiler unless you've beat it, because you don't want to know! Trust me!

I'm not cruel enough to tell him "Hey your plan is loving ridiculous and I'm not going to do it, now die and know you failed," though.
I was! gently caress that guy! he tried to break the fundamental rules of the universe! gently caress'im!!!!!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

VideoGames posted:

Loving all these extra posts :D I am going to have to add a ton of stuff to my upcomings.

Just to let you know that results day WILL be next Saturday, 13th of January at 1:00pm my time, which is GMT. So by the time it is a comfy afternoon for most other people it will be near the end.

:peanut:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

There's no reason for this silly debate when Froggy's Battle is clearly the sleeper hit of 2024.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

I bought (played on game pass) Pentiment based on last year’s thread and completed it in enough time for it to make my top 5 that year!! Such a brilliant game, god drat.

Also yes Perfect Dark is still so good. I used to waste hours even just in the base area.

Me too it was some good recommending people did last year

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bugblatter posted:

The 2023 release is divisive. Some love it, some hate it. It has a lot of rough edges both technically and design wise, but it does a few things extremely well. I personally wouldn’t go so far as to call it good, but I thought the strengths made it worth trying. I’d be very selective about who I recommended it to though.

The 2014 game on the other hand is just awful. (Its team went on to make The Surge and its sequel though. Those are really good!)

Oh, I didn't realize that was the same team -- The Surge was alright, although I felt it overstayed its welcome, and Surge 2 was loads of fun and I actually played a ways into NG+, which I usually don't do.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Makes me want to go out and but a working N64 right now. I love that game so much.

You can play it on PC now! At 60fps and with proper mouselook and everything, not super janky "we convinced this emulator to translate mouse inputs into stick inputs in a way that mostly works" mouselook.

Also, wow, I am out of practice. Datadyne Central - Escape is kicking my rear end on Perfect Agent even with mouselook, mostly because Dr. Carroll really wants to snuggle the attack helicopter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I was! gently caress that guy! he tried to break the fundamental rules of the universe! gently caress'im!!!!!

He is voiced by Jonathan Sims who voiced the protagonist of the Magnus Archives who is the biggest fuckup to ever exist so I may have been biased in that direction.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Jusant is on sale on PSN and I bought it because of this thread. Just have to finish Blasphemous 2 first (gently caress Eviterno btw)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

haveblue posted:

Jusant is on sale on PSN and I bought it because of this thread. Just have to finish Blasphemous 2 first (gently caress Eviterno btw)

Jusant is lovely. I want that game to be twice as long.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

Oh, I didn't realize that was the same team -- The Surge was alright, although I felt it overstayed its welcome, and Surge 2 was loads of fun and I actually played a ways into NG+, which I usually don't do.

You can play it on PC now! At 60fps and with proper mouselook and everything, not super janky "we convinced this emulator to translate mouse inputs into stick inputs in a way that mostly works" mouselook.

Also, wow, I am out of practice. Datadyne Central - Escape is kicking my rear end on Perfect Agent even with mouselook, mostly because Dr. Carroll really wants to snuggle the attack helicopter.

It's easier for me to go to one of the many used shops around here and buy an N64 than it is to get anything running on PC. The last game I played on PC was Disco, vanilla. PC just ain't my wheelhouse.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The Xbox version is probably still fine? If you can tolerate controller aiming, anyway, but I think most of us just relied on auto-aim in the N64 days anyway

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Grabbed Ghostrunner 2 and it owns. Even more annoyngly hard than the first one though lol.

Also gonna pick up Talos 2 and Ziggurat 2 in the sale which should give me enough game to play until Dragon's Dogma 2, as well as covering everything I wanted to play, but didn't have time for in 2023, except finishing Cocoon, which is already on gamepass.

Surprised at just how much the knocked off GR2 and Talos 2 in the sale with how new they are.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's easier for me to go to one of the many used shops around here and buy an N64 than it is to get anything running on PC. The last game I played on PC was Disco, vanilla. PC just ain't my wheelhouse.

Fair enough! I'm a PC girl first and foremost, so that's pretty much always going to be my preference; I tend to buy consoles rarely (and second-hand) and retire them as soon as emulation is advanced enough to play all the games I care about.

For the N64 and Perfect Dark in particular, I'm extra excited about this because:
- I never liked the N64's mutant three-handed controller or how it worked with PD (not that that stopped me from 100%ing the game in high school)
- N64 emulation in general, and PD emulation specifically, is perplexingly difficult even today
So this is a chance for me to revisit my favourite N64 game without making either of those above compromises.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I can't speak to specific games having issues, but N64 emulation is pretty simple with modern emulators--it's just that the top google results are often ancient emulators, not modern ones.

I recommend Bizhawk; it's a multi-system emulator that handles anything N64/PS1 or older with no fuss and with a much much better UI than retroarch

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

- I never liked the N64's mutant three-handed controller or how it worked with PD (not that that stopped me from 100%ing the game in high school)

lol if you didn't use 2 controllers

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The N64 controller is one of my favorite pieces of tech because it mystifies me so deeply. How did anyone design this? Had the designer ever seen a human hand before? How did enough people think it was a good idea that it entered production? I love it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Well, if you’re operating under the belief that players will either use a d-pad or an analog stick, never both, it makes perfect sense!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Fave FE: Engage battle tracks

4. Engage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5YUuHFTXmc&t=7806s

3. Tear Streaked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5YUuHFTXmc&t=6411s

2. Keeper of History
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5YUuHFTXmc&t=2933s

1. Last Engage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5YUuHFTXmc&t=7956s

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

the N64 controller was my first ever controller so it's totally fine and normal

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Kerrzhe posted:

the N64 controller was my first ever controller so it's totally fine and normal

What's it like having three hands?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i only have two hands. it's normal to hold the n64 controller you just put your hand on the joystick part

the part on the left with the d-pad is never used

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
outing yourself as someone who didn't play mischief makers

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The 64 controller really does suck regardless of how many hands you have though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

The 64 controller really does suck regardless of how many hands you have though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For my special list I present Top 10 Things VideoGames Said While Streaming In 2023. We only started compiling a spreadsheet of his quotes towards the end of the year, but even in that short space of time there were some real classics:

10. “You can’t be on the phone if you’re dead.”

09. “Wait, are the Yiga Clan friends with Ganon?”

08. “Am I stuck? No, I just couldn’t move.”

07. “It’s not the journey, but, uh, the, um, off-ramp.”

06. “I like the word ‘question mark’. Actually it’s two words. I like the two words ‘question marks’.”

05. “I hit him with lightning, and then I do attacks on him, and then he discharges all over me.”

04. “22 is more than 20, isn’t it? Let me think. 20…..plus 1, plus 2, is 22.”

03. “I don’t wanna be gimp bones!”

02. “Y’s not a vowel! A, O, U, I…….and something.”

01. “You can’t hurt hot with hot. Spikes no to plasma.”

Thank you to veeg for running the thread solo this year and also for his streams being a consistent highlight of my week for over three years now. Also hey why not check out the veeg stream highlight videos I made here and here!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I hope that "Tolkein was 300 years ago" charts high in 2024

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Veeg is a national treasure

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Veeg is a national treasure

Which nation though, as yet undetermined

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Escobarbarian posted:

For my special list I present Top 10 Things VideoGames Said While Streaming In 2023. We only started compiling a spreadsheet of his quotes towards the end of the year, but even in that short space of time there were some real classics:

06. “I like the word ‘question mark’. Actually it’s two words. I like the two words ‘question marks’.”

05. “I hit him with lightning, and then I do attacks on him, and then he discharges all over me.”

Thank you to veeg for running the thread solo this year and also for his streams being a consistent highlight of my week for over three years now. Also hey why not check out the veeg stream highlight videos I made here and here!

These highlight videos are wonderful.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I had forgotten about the epic battle of VG vs. Pipe in MGS2

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

Which nation though, as yet undetermined

All of them

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Escobarbarian posted:

quoted for posterity

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

haveblue posted:

I thought that guy was the biggest pile of bullshit. After getting murdered a half dozen times I looked up some strats ranging from cheesy to reasonably fair and felt like a complete buffoon after winning with what should have been extremely obvious.

Just use the dual swords and dash attack through him constantly. He has no answer for this. It's almost 100% safe. You can also usually get a few back attacks in with ease. I never even found the thing to unlock the 3rd tier of upgrades for that weapon and still bodied him my first try just doing this after I read a post from some steam forum guy saying just get good.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That’s what I did too. Apparently you can also equip fervor regain and use the down attack of the mace, which lets you regain fervor fast enough to support near-constant uptime of the spell that stops time and just beat him to death while he literally can’t do anything

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

haveblue posted:

That’s what I did too. Apparently you can also equip fervor regain and use the down attack of the mace, which lets you regain fervor fast enough to support near-constant uptime of the spell that stops time and just beat him to death while he literally can’t do anything

I tried that out and either my build for it was dumb or they nerfed it because I couldn't get enough fervor together to chain the timestop.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

people should at least play the Vividlope demo so they can see why i enjoy it so much (or question my taste)

actually a fair number of games in my top 50 have demos on Steam: Final Profit (#49), Zortch (#48), Skator Gator 3d (#42), Lunark (#40), ProtoCorgi (#27), Paquerette Down the Bunburrows (#23), Slayers X (#19), HROT (#11), Misericorde (#6), Chants of Sennaar (#4), Octopath Traveler 2 (#3), and Vividlope (#2).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Paid 10 bucks to get Pentiment in the Steam sale after finally caving to the endless praise here and in other threads. Alright, alright, you lot... if it's a tenner, fine, let's see eh?

Have just completed Act 1. It's not even the end of the first week of January and I will be very surprised if this doesn't end up being my Game of the Year 2024.

Anyway, gotta go, gotta play some more Pentiment this weekend.