Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I can't remember the last time i've died to tarnesh. Typically a magic missile from imoen's wand interrupts his cast and he dies real fast right after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'm unreasonably annoyed that the best voice set from BG1EE (female relaxed) isn't in BG2EE so my blackguard is going to get the 'they changed actresses between seasons so it feels a little off' treatment. What are you doing beamdog

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I thought voice sets could be imported into other IE Games?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm unreasonably annoyed that the best voice set from BG1EE (female relaxed) isn't in BG2EE so my blackguard is going to get the 'they changed actresses between seasons so it feels a little off' treatment. What are you doing beamdog

This but male scholarly. In BG2 I miss the sound of LET'S GIVE THEM A RIGHT THRASHING.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
I’m upset the best voice set from bg2 (female 2) isn’t in bg1. I don’t like any of the bg1 ones.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Can't you just find the sound files and copy them over?

Duderclese posted:

This is true for me, too. If he gets mirror image off I may as well just restart.

There's enough time to run away before he gets his next spell off! Just run down the timer by travelling south and then back to FAI, it's perfectly legal and only slightly cheesy.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The best voice sets and portraits are actually in Icewind Dale and they should be in BG1 and 2. :colbert:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Randallteal posted:

The best voice sets and portraits are actually in Icewind Dale and they should be in BG1 and 2. :colbert:

https://github.com/GraionDilach/Icewind-Dale-Voice-Pack-For-EE-2.6

That same modder also has a few other voice packs (IWD2, PST, Baldur's Gate NPCs, some from NWN, possibly others) in his github.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The volume levels between the different games' soundsets are sometimes noticeably different, i remember making an Audacity macro that mostly corrected them but it was a hassle

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

The volume levels between the different games' soundsets are sometimes noticeably different, i remember making an Audacity macro that mostly corrected them but it was a hassle

Yeah, to say nothing of the custom voices that come with NPC mods which are, uh, a land of contrasts.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

docbeard posted:

Yeah, to say nothing of the custom voices that come with NPC mods which are, uh, a land of contrasts.

This is the reason I did not voice Valerie (or Darian, for that matter). I have a pronounced Deep South accent and am terrible at acting. :v:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Randallteal posted:

I did look into just straight up pulling the voice set from BG1EE into BG2EE but snooping around online indicates there were a few new voice lines in BG2EE that just make your BG1EE voice file play nothing during those bits

I also wanted to do at least one full playthrough without loving around with mods and hex edits and custom giant breasted character portraits and etc

chaosapiant posted:

I thought voice sets could be imported into other IE Games?

Lol I was so annoyed by the voice thing I just ended up loving around in IWDEE's character creator for an hour and googling old party composition chat, sounds like archer really breaks the difficulty wide open which sounds fun

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Cythereal posted:

This is the reason I did not voice Valerie (or Darian, for that matter). I have a pronounced Deep South accent and am terrible at acting. :v:
I am really enjoying suddenly hearing Imoen's voice in my head with Gomer Pyle's accent

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wolfsheim posted:

I did look into just straight up pulling the voice set from BG1EE into BG2EE but snooping around online indicates there were a few new voice lines in BG2EE that just make your BG1EE voice file play nothing during those bits

I also wanted to do at least one full playthrough without loving around with mods and hex edits and custom giant breasted character portraits and etc

Lol I was so annoyed by the voice thing I just ended up loving around in IWDEE's character creator for an hour and googling old party composition chat, sounds like archer really breaks the difficulty wide open which sounds fun

Yeah, Archer really fucks up the balance, as does sorcerer, since you don't have to rely on the stingy scroll placement for the better spells.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Randallteal posted:

The correct answer. The Squidward guy is always my rogue.

"The silent blade cuts best"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The icewind dale 1 heart of winter voices are especially charismatic!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

mitochondritom posted:

The correct answer. The Squidward guy is always my rogue.

"The silent blade cuts best"

Using this one for my current Ironman character because while he doesn't sound that much like Matt Berry, he sounds closer than any of the other available options.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

docbeard posted:

https://github.com/GraionDilach/Icewind-Dale-Voice-Pack-For-EE-2.6

That same modder also has a few other voice packs (IWD2, PST, Baldur's Gate NPCs, some from NWN, possibly others) in his github.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/82008/graions-soundsets-for-bg-sod-bg2-iwd-eet-ee-2-6-last-update-2022-11-13/p1 links to all of them. They cover all of the games and then some, so no need to copy files yourself.

I used them in my BG1EE run where I created a 5 char party.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I finally beat BG1 for the first time today. Thanks to the Ironman challenge thread for the motivation. :unsmith:

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

docbeard posted:

Using this one for my current Ironman character because while he doesn't sound that much like Matt Berry, he sounds closer than any of the other available options.

Oh my god. I'd absolutely kill for a Matt Berry voice pack.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I love that rough raspy male dwarf voice from IWD1. He could corrode steel just by talking.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

mitochondritom posted:

Oh my god. I'd absolutely kill for a Matt Berry voice pack.
Having watched only Garth Marenghi's Darkplace and What We Do in the Shadows I feel like you could put together an appropriate voice pack, let alone anything else he has done

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I finally beat BG1 for the first time today. Thanks to the Ironman challenge thread for the motivation. :unsmith:

Does that include both expansions?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Does that include both expansions?
Hell no, those places sound like deathtraps!

If I ever venture there, it won't be on a blind no-reload solo run. :D

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

If I ever venture there, it won't be on a blind no-reload solo run. :D

Blind ironman Durlag's sounds like the Kaizo experience for Baldur's Gate

You know what you must do, SHODAN :getin:

(also goongrats on your first ironman win! :comfyoot:)

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

The weird thing about Durlag's Tower is those two guys outside of it are the hardest encounter until the final boss of it, so the actual combat difficulty is mostly bookends

The rest is just clearing eight traps from every room you enter every five minutes

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

The weird thing about Durlag's Tower is those two guys outside of it are the hardest encounter until the final boss of it, so the actual combat difficulty is mostly bookends

The rest is just clearing eight traps from every room you enter every five minutes

the dwarven doom guards inside are much harder, and the four guards you have to fight on the first level are tricky too!

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Node posted:

I love that rough raspy male dwarf voice from IWD1. He could corrode steel just by talking.

Easy as Goblin pie.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

voiceless anal fricative posted:

the dwarven doom guards inside are much harder, and the four guards you have to fight on the first level are tricky too!

Also there's a fair number of gimmick fights in there that are a cinch once you know what to do, but will kill you dead the first few times. (Chess room, I'm looking at you.)

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The best part of the TARNESH fight is when he casts a lightning bolt that kills the entire party and himself.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Dying to a thunderstorm in the first area of BG1.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Vargatron posted:

The best part of the TARNESH fight is when he casts a lightning bolt that kills the entire party and himself.

I've only ever see him cast mirror image, horror, magic missle. He can actually do lightning bolt?

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Dr. Quarex posted:

I am really enjoying suddenly hearing Imoen's voice in my head with Gomer Pyle's accent

"Howdy, y'all! It's me, Imoen!"

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Flowing Thot posted:

I've only ever see him cast mirror image, horror, magic missle. He can actually do lightning bolt?

No he can’t. Tarnesh is less dangerous than Shank and Carbos for an Ironman run, you just approach him with Imoen and then instantly run away and let the guards kill him. He doesn’t have enough magic missiles to kill them all, he’s only a threat to your run if you fail the horror save and then he focuses all his damage on CHARNAME, which he can’t do if he only ever sees Imoen.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Xzar joins with 2 casts of larloch's minor drain memorized. It casts very quickly, faster than Tarnesh's mirror images and horror and so will always interrupt them. You should also use Imoen's wand of missiles for guaranteed extra damage since it always hits.

Ever since I started doing drain + missile then drain + missile again, I've never seen Tarnesh get a spell off and I've always successfully killed him without assistance from the exp-stealing guards.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Ahhhh help me I've fallen down the rabbit hole of trying to construct the perfect IWDEE party with cool names and backstories and perfect class synchronicity and I can't climb out

Fighter/thief halforc + dragon disciple halfelf or illusionist/thief gnome + berserker halforc? Pure cleric or fighter/cleric? Do I really need a druid because I vaguely remember them getting extra dialogue? Do crossbows suck? Have halfings always sucked? Should I just give up and go start BG2EE for real?!

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

MASSACRE, at Lyons, i. 336; caused by jealousy, iii. 260

Wolfsheim posted:

Ahhhh help me I've fallen down the rabbit hole of trying to construct the perfect IWDEE party with cool names and backstories and perfect class synchronicity and I can't climb out

Fighter/thief halforc + dragon disciple halfelf or illusionist/thief gnome + berserker halforc? Pure cleric or fighter/cleric? Do I really need a druid because I vaguely remember them getting extra dialogue? Do crossbows suck? Have halfings always sucked? Should I just give up and go start BG2EE for real?!

Halflings can wear the Helm of the Trusted Defender which is really good, and the save bonus is nice too imo. Fighter/druid is always fun too, ironskin is a great tanky buff and insect swarm trivializes some mage fights (and you can pick good proficiencies unlike Jahiera).

My last playthrough I ran halfling berserker, halfelf fighter/druid, halfelf mage/thief, and a human sorcerer and it was really fun.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I'm trying to do an ironman LoB run of BG1, and even with a custom party, it's not very fun so far (which is not far).

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I'm trying to do an ironman LoB run of BG1, and even with a custom party, it's not very fun so far (which is not far).

Yeah LoB mode makes things difficult in a way that isn't very fun. Everything just becomes a tedious grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

e: you're right, it was a stupid and pointless idea

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 7, 2024