Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I really wish the game gave us the choice of letting characters swap in and out of conversations. It would make complete sense for the persuasive and suave group member to gently insert themselves into the conversation to try and convince an apprehensive NPC. Like an actual group trying to work a mark, rather than failing a roll and just retrying it with another group member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

10 Beers posted:

Ha, that's what was throwing me off. I was using torches but having to spend a move equipping your weapon was kinda lame.

I also cast Light on some party members but was never really sure if it helped.

Lets talk about the time I found out that when you cast Daylight on someone it goes to the equipped weapon and not the actual person. So I had your problem except it was a salami I had equipped for comedy reasons earlier.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Monathin posted:

[*]Cull the Weak: Not bad if you're funneling all the tadpoles into one character, but kind of extremely meh otherwise.

Cull the Weak is a significant source of damage for every run I’ve used the tadpoles in. I usually give them all to two or three characters, so an extra 10+ damage every round or two really adds up. By the beginning of act 3 it’s going off constantly because every new power increases both the damage and the range where it goes off.

poo poo, I keep adding powers I know I’ll never use just to make Cull the Weak more powerful.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The biggest trick to illithid powers is to do the thing that lets you use them as a bonus action, so you can slap down AOE spells and pull a bunch of enemies directly into their center.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Geekboy posted:

Cull the Weak is a significant source of damage for every run I’ve used the tadpoles in. I usually give them all to two or three characters, so an extra 10+ damage every round or two really adds up. By the beginning of act 3 it’s going off constantly because every new power increases both the damage and the range where it goes off.

poo poo, I keep adding powers I know I’ll never use just to make Cull the Weak more powerful.
Cull the Weak is actually very good especially in large scale or tough fights. The difference between a tough enemy left alive with 16HP then taking a turn and that same enemy being dead so not having a turn is obviously huge. And it also makes your AOE much more powerful.

The only problem is it can interfere with some abilities that activate when you kill an enemy since it doesn't quite count as you landing the killing blow.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 6, 2024

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Luck of the Far Realns is great, but do note that on certain types of characters, it means a *ton* of clicking to decline to use your reaction. I have it on my warlock Tav, so I gotta click decline 3 times for every eldritch blast until I use up my one charge per LR. Also an annoyance on my dual crossbow Astarion.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Impossible, no warlock could ever knowingly refuse an Eldritch Blast crit.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It's problematic in the same way being a divination wizard is problematic, because you get a pop up on every roll asking you to use your absolutely busted special ability.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
Am I correct that you can't get the legendary actions from honor mode at tactician difficulty without a mod? I tried to do honor mode and then die on purpose but that doesn't allow you to quick save still which is really what I'm looking for.

The custom difficulty doesn't work, you can't set the game to allow quick saves except for at the start of the game, and if you're honor mode that isn't an option you can actually choose so it seems like it's impossible?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

FungiCap posted:

Am I correct that you can't get the legendary actions from honor mode at tactician difficulty without a mod? I tried to do honor mode and then die on purpose but that doesn't allow you to quick save still which is really what I'm looking for.

The custom difficulty doesn't work, you can't set the game to allow quick saves except for at the start of the game, and if you're honor mode that isn't an option you can actually choose so it seems like it's impossible?

Yeah it kinda sucks, my buddies and I wanted to see the legendary action stuff but honor mode was just kinda frustrating because there's still so much jank. Also we ended up not even seeing the ones added in act one because we still steamrolled everything lol

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

ChronoReverse posted:

Cull the Weak is actually very good especially in large scale or tough fights. The difference between a tough enemy left alive with 16HP then taking a turn and that same enemy being dead so not having a turn is obviously huge. And it also makes your AOE much more powerful.

The only problem is it can interfere with some abilities that activate when you kill an enemy since it doesn't quite count as you landing the killing blow.

Cull the weak really shines when you're up against a lot of enemies with relatively low hp and you can either do area of effect, or cast magic missile. On magic missile especially it basically guarantees the deletion of 3+ low hp enemies.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hulk Krogan posted:

Luck of the Far Realns is great, but do note that on certain types of characters, it means a *ton* of clicking to decline to use your reaction. I have it on my warlock Tav, so I gotta click decline 3 times for every eldritch blast until I use up my one charge per LR. Also an annoyance on my dual crossbow Astarion.

The worst is when the pop--up says "You need 12 to hit. You rolled 20 (critical hit). Would you like to use Luck of the Far Realms?"

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Thundarr posted:

The worst is when the pop--up says "You need 12 to hit. You rolled 20 (critical hit). Would you like to use Luck of the Far Realms?"

maybe the experience on consoles are a bit different but you can hover over the roll and see that the roll is after proficiency bonuses. I've also never experienced this on a crit, either, on a warlock that spams eldrich blast. It's always skipped the far realms notification on a natural crit for me.

that said, I don't take that poo poo anymore until late game because the minmaxer in me wants to save it for when I need it, but clicking that poo poo constantly is so annoying.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Thundarr posted:

If you wipe out the Zhents under the inn, does Roah still sell things in act 2 or does that piss her off too much to deal with you?

It has no effect on Roah

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I think there's a bug with Merregon enemies, whenever I walked into their attack range as Shadowheart, I got a prompt for Polearm Attack Reaction. Stupidly thinking it was for Shadowheart (stupidly due to the fact she had a hammer, not polearm), I reacted every time and I think I must have done 30+ of damage to Shadowheart by having the Merregons react. Seems weird I could have chosen not to react as the Merregon.

How are you meant to defeat invisible enemies? My Tav has that eyeball that can see invis people but this particular enemy just stayed hidden. I had to pop an AoE spell as SH to kill him.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
See invis is just a check to see if you can see them, which can still fail. You can see where they are based on the check message though which is still valuable, use aoe to knock them visible like you did

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Qubee posted:

I think there's a bug with Merregon enemies, whenever I walked into their attack range as Shadowheart, I got a prompt for Polearm Attack Reaction. Stupidly thinking it was for Shadowheart (stupidly due to the fact she had a hammer, not polearm), I reacted every time and I think I must have done 30+ of damage to Shadowheart by having the Merregons react. Seems weird I could have chosen not to react as the Merregon.

How are you meant to defeat invisible enemies? My Tav has that eyeball that can see invis people but this particular enemy just stayed hidden. I had to pop an AoE spell as SH to kill him.

Faerie Fire and just about any AoE attack will remove invisibility.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

grack posted:

Faerie Fire and just about any AoE attack will remove invisibility.

Can I use one of those exploding arrowheads that knock enemies back to accomplish this?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You can even do it by splashing them with Create Water

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Tonetta posted:

maybe the experience on consoles are a bit different but you can hover over the roll and see that the roll is after proficiency bonuses. I've also never experienced this on a crit, either, on a warlock that spams eldrich blast. It's always skipped the far realms notification on a natural crit for me.

that said, I don't take that poo poo anymore until late game because the minmaxer in me wants to save it for when I need it, but clicking that poo poo constantly is so annoying.

It definitely asks if you want to use luck of the far realms on a natty

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Also yeah I ran into that polearm bug too, don’t kill yourself

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

There is a toggle for a lot of those reactions. Like at a certain point your lvl 1 slots are for shield so you just stop asking for permission.

Shooting invisible enemies off of a cliff with a thunderous arrow is like a Wile E Coyote cartoon. Just silence and suddenly 400xp pops up.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Black Noise posted:

Shooting invisible enemies off of a cliff with a thunderous arrow is like a Wile E Coyote cartoon. Just silence and suddenly 400xp pops up.

An amusing and effective way to get rid of all the annoying chanters in the Orin fight.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

grack posted:

An amusing and effective way to get rid of all the annoying chanters in the Orin fight.

This is how I did it on my first run when I realised sanctuary didn't mean they're completely invincible.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've never beaten the Orin fight legitimately, just bet everything on Turn 1 Hold Monster and pummel my way through all the unstoppable stacks.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I've never beaten the Orin fight legitimately, just bet everything on Turn 1 Hold Monster and pummel my way through all the unstoppable stacks.

Abusing the hell out of the mechanics just to see what you can get away with is very much on-brand for D&D.

I mean, I know I end up with a lot of weird poo poo in my playthroughs, but I also go out of my way to see what I can break. For example, using a poo poo ton of explosives to kill everyone except the Drow and Bugbear traders on the main floor of Moonrise just to see what happens.

Spoiler: Neither give a poo poo about you setting off 60 explosives right in front of them, but Ao help you if you try looting a body in their line of sight.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Have your fun but “Barrel go boom” wouldn’t be the example I pull out for the weird poo poo.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

The kobold fight at the crèche is so satisfying with spike growth and hunger of hadar

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Black Noise posted:

Have your fun but “Barrel go boom” wouldn’t be the example I pull out for the weird poo poo.

Trust me, setting off 60 at a time makes the game start to do some weird things.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Qubee posted:

Faerie Fire can reveal hidden foes, or you can guesstimate their location and use an area of effect ability.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

One of the more unsettling moments in the game for me was the vault fight when after it was done and I had the convos with the people in the room, I started walking around and hearing a bunch of rolls being done and it slowly dawned on me that there were more bad guys in the room

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Also the reason they stay invis is that they're passing Dex checks. I usually throw fire bombs at the area to tick a damage and reveal them.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I wonder if they did that on purpose but I definitely also got jump scared by that

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I wonder if they did that on purpose but I definitely also got jump scared by that

I was ready for a long rest so I started thunderwaving with abandon and trashed the place lol

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I kind of love how when you recruit both Halsin and Minthara, they set up in the same tent, and his druid stuff is on one side while she has a pile of skulls on the other. It's like one of those old sitcom plots where the roommates have a big disagreement and end up drawing a line down the middle of the apartment.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I think their behavior got bugged in one of the updates. All of them went aggresive in my first playthrough but I got a few stragglers in my latest.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Hunters mark is concentration right? Assuming so, could you get the refund using concentrated blast? Assuming it killed of course.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

My biggest problem is I cast haste using my sorc and immediately cast call lightning and own myself. Balances the game I guess because I have one almighty turn then blow up my brain which feels fitting.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I do hope that when we get the goty edition or whatever there's a prompt for "hey, dipshit, you're already concentrating on a spell, are you sure you want to cast this?" I know there are mods that basically do the same but they're kind of hacky solutions imo. I don't need an ability that disables spells when I'm concentrating I just need a prompt to remind me how loving stupid I'm about to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 days!)

I have the multiclass to level 20 mod installed and I just realised, getting to level 12 on my main class, that if I try to level up again the game just completely crashes and closes cos level 13 doesn't exist. It's weird how locked in the levelling stuff is.

I guess now I have to just ignore the level up button for the remainder of the playthrough. But that's gonna be a bummer because I like levelling up and it makes a lot of the stuff I have left to do feel a bit more pointless. I guess this is what I get for installing Fast XP and wanting to go nuts at the end of the game with level 20 characters.

Kinda running out of steam on this game though. The city is just sort of boring, I don't like exploring it. I just want to end it.