Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Periodic Table of Elementals

Redcloak would approve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Neat idea, but looking at the sample pdf I dunno that the author is right on all the chemistry. Like, I'm not sure that oxygen elementals should be resistant to fire damage when O2 gas is necessary for fires to occur and combustion results in the O2 gas turning into smoke. I guess the oxygen isn't destroyed, since it just turns into an oxidized gas with whatever burned, but if we're not counting molecular changes no elemental can really be destroyed without either a fission or fusion reaction - making them pretty tough to beat.

Then again, I haven't taken chemistry since high school, so I'm probably missing something.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think it's less the chemistry and more the fantasy aspect.

Combustion requires oxygen to occur as a chemical reaction, so if the oxygen is sentient, it could choose to dampen the reaction by not reacting with the flammable elements when doing so would be to its own detriment.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

It’s a neat idea, although coming up with interesting ideas for all 118 seems difficult.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I would make it that when it gets hit with fire, everything in a 5 ft radius takes the same amount of fire damage to simulate the fire feeding on the pure O2 but that's just me

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
oxygen isn't flammable it's just a super oxidizer, assuming the elemental is pure oxygen it's not flammable at all

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I really hope Titanium Elemental stats will be identical to Earth Elemental, except 40% lighter.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Saraiguma posted:

oxygen isn't flammable it's just a super oxidizer, assuming the elemental is pure oxygen it's not flammable at all

Nothing is flammable on its own, is it? Flammable is definitionally about combustion occurring when paired with the right companion chemical and sufficient energy. In which case oxygen is very flammable because that's trivial to make happen.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

the selenium elemental has no special attacks, it just physically disables everyone nearby from the stench

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

GlyphGryph posted:

Nothing is flammable on its own, is it? Flammable is definitionally about combustion occurring when paired with the right companion chemical and sufficient energy. In which case oxygen is very flammable because that's trivial to make happen.

If we're talking chemistry, no, those terms have specific definitions. Something is combustible if it is capable of undergoing an exothermic reaction with an oxidizer. Something is flammable if it is capable of combusting while exposed to atmospheric air, in which ambient oxygen acts as the oxidizer.

Combustion requires both a combustible material and an oxidizer to occur, but that does not mean those terms are interchangable. There may be some obscure chemical reaction where oxygen acts as the combustible material to an even more powerful oxidizer, I dunno, but oxygen is definitionally not flammable because it cannot combust solely if exposed to atmospheric air.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I feel like a fires destroying all the oxygen around them would make an Oxygen elemental pretty weak to fire, regardless of if they're technically burning or not.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

The interaction of magic and physics in table top games has always been really nebulous and usually solved by GM fiat, outside the most obvious interactions, like the bog standard Fireball spell having the line "The explosion creates almost no pressure." so your oh so clever players can't create impromptu explosives. Even though the spell repeatedly describes the effect as an explosion, it is more like summoning a bunch of regular fire in a sphere.

If I were to try to codify how an oxygen elemental interacts with fire, I would probably do the opposite of everything else, and give more mundane attacks a bonus. A fireball or a magic flaming sword? All those do is heat the oxygen up, as there is no combustion occurring from the magical effect, it just makes things hot. So the oxygen elemental heats up a little, maybe gets a little bigger momentarily. But if you swing a mundane torch through it, the torch flares up and the elemental is seriously damaged as its substance is consumed. Similarly, a Wall of Fire spell would be useless, but a pool of burning oil would be a serious deterrent.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cant wait to drop the ":actually: the source of magical fire is self combusting phlogiston spontaneously formed from the astral aether therefore magical fire is not a source of combustion free radicals or even of ionization in the case of lightning magic that can cascade into or initiate a combustion reaction" on a player

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Physics doesn't exist. There's four, maybe five, maybe six elements, and that's it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Magic makes you roll these dice for damage is an understandable approach to power gamers and rules lawyers, but it does rob magic of its magic

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

If you want to save on spellslots, summon an oganesson elemental and you get a bunch of decay product elementals.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Physics/Engineering is fun though when the players are all engineers playing artificers and the game is how mad they can drive the GM with their hairbrained Pinky and the Brain schemes.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

Physics doesn't exist. There's four, maybe five, maybe six elements, and that's it.
Well, a rogue's attack with the element of surprise can cost you more HP than gravity will on an atmospheric reentry, so yeah.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
New chapter - https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1295.html

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Well, no one called that, I think. drat.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:suspense:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

drat it I didn't memorize familicide this morning.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I do have questions about how Sunny was mind controlled by the dragon if the dragon was in stasis. But gently caress it, magic against magic always makes my head hurt to try to figure out. Or magic versus psionisism.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Probably Sunny's anti-magic field hit the stasis field.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Sunny crossed a yellow line on the bridge a strip or two back, maybe that triggered the dragon awakening?

Edit: on review that’s probably just the tiling on the floor, there’s lots of lines, nvm

Thaddius the Large fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 8, 2024

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

The dragon could have also been awake but unable to move. Potentially for decades. This would let it use spells or spell-like abilities, like Suggestion (which has no somatic component.) Note how the dragon says "that feels quite good?" Definitely the sort of thing one would say if they've been unable to move properly for an extended period of time.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

Probably Sunny's anti-magic field hit the stasis field.

Nah, she only just removed the anti-antimagic lens.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

drat it I didn't memorize familicide this morning.

what did the Empress of Blood do to you :(

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
It's beyond question in my mind I'm that V demanding mercy for the dragon will be part of this mini arc.

The dragon will be ruthless, evil, and a huge strategic liability to keep alive and V will make a point of ignoring all that to do the right thing.

And I think that moment will bring the fiends back into the story

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
That would be incredible and quite possible!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Either that or we get one of the few times "Listen, we get why you're pissed, and you can eat Serini after, but right now all of existence is at stake, would you please bring willing to put off revenge for a couple more days so we can stop reality from being undone?" actually works.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

ikanreed posted:

It's beyond question in my mind I'm that V demanding mercy for the dragon will be part of this mini arc.

The dragon will be ruthless, evil, and a huge strategic liability to keep alive and V will make a point of ignoring all that to do the right thing.

And I think that moment will bring the fiends back into the story

That seems pretty likely. This appears to be a fairly young red dragon, and not something that would be a major challenge to the party in a fight, so there has to be some other reason to introduce it now.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:
Man, Roy is gonna be so exasperated at this idiot looking for a fight while the world teeters on the brink of annihilation.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ultrafilter posted:

That seems pretty likely. This appears to be a fairly young red dragon, and not something that would be a major challenge to the party in a fight, so there has to be some other reason to introduce it now.

I'm pretty sure this is an ancient wyrm given the beard.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I was right! Wrong on the color, it wasn't a gold dragon, it was a red dragon! But the dragon in that drawing has a broken horn and purple wings just like Calder does here.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I wonder if this is the gold(?) dragon that Sunny had a drawing of earlier: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1257.html

The colors match up: deep orange to yellow.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Oh wait, NM, I forgot the species of dragons V Familicided.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Well, no one called that, I think. drat.

I saw this and immediately laughed because I remembered SKULL called not just a dragon but this very specific dragon. Looks like they responded before I could point it out though. It was a damned good guess, though, wow

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Oh dang my dude isn't even being rendered in the normal stick style for dragons, dude's got full resolution graphics. I love when a game drops that kind of art shift on you to let you know you're in trouble.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SKULL.GIF posted:

I was right! Wrong on the color, it wasn't a gold dragon, it was a red dragon! But the dragon in that drawing has a broken horn and purple wings just like Calder does here.

drat good guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
„insufficiently servile, try again if you live“ is great dragon dialog