Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Dejan Bimble posted:

2 actual major league journeymen, lenny russel and thad bosley put music out together under the name "ball players"
it's pretty servicable funk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrrkt5G8gfI

Thad Bosley’s had a pretty interesting life, actually. He was a coach for the Moneyball A’s, and appears in the book for a hot minute

This isn’t his first go-round with music, either. He wrote and produced music for over a decade in between his playing and coaching careers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Dejan Bimble posted:

2 actual major league journeymen, lenny russel and thad bosley put music out together under the name "ball players"
it's pretty servicable funk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrrkt5G8gfI

Bosley, as an A's coach, made a one-scene appearance in Moneyball (the book), wherein Ray Durham was astounded to learn Bosley had stolen 90 bases in a season once in the minors. He stole 47 in his major league career.

e: dammit bravesword :argh:

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Seems like the Red Sox are trying to unload some bad contracts

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1743473877030772814?s=20

Even though he probably won't be that good I'd like it if the Dodgers brought back Jansen

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
congrats to the goon who has outted themselves as trevor bauers child psychologist, dunno why you decided to share that here but you aren't required to carry water for your rapist clients hth

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Bogus Adventure posted:

It started off when he was a kid. Baseball Doesn't Exist released a pretty good breakdown of Bauer after 2021

https://youtu.be/Kcne0vP4NNE?si=rKlJBkxe3fZ1SUk5

He might have been an rear end in a top hat as a kid, but him getting bullied probably made it worse.

This is the video that got me to unsubscribe from Baseball Doesn't Exist.

E: oh no wait it was this other one he made that is also way too forgiving of Bauer https://youtu.be/kZjcGXDRYOw

Kevlar v2.0 fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 6, 2024

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bogus Adventure posted:

I thought he was okay as well until I looked at his stats. He was signed for 5yrs/$90m and provided 0.6 fWAR in his first year.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/masataka-yoshida/31837/stats?position=DH/OF

He's projected to do a bit better next year (1.6 fWAR), but that's not what you'd hope for from your OF/DH.

He started off incredible and was like, impossible to get out. Then the wheels came off.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

I've never heard of this man in my life, but I already can't stand to look at his dumb face

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yoshida had a really good first half of the season (0.872 OPS) then faded in the second half due to the schedule and travel, at least according to what I read.

The optimist can say he'll likely improve next season as he adjusts to the workload, while the pessimist can question how much further improvement can be expected from someone his age.

His defensive shortcomings can be somewhat covered up by playing LF in Fenway but a low-power lefty like him seems like a questionable fit for DH.

Still, if Boston trades him 1 year after signing him to a 5-year contract, that's not gonna be a good look if they're trying to attract more NPB players in the future.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

E: oh no wait it was this other one he made that is also way too forgiving of Bauer https://youtu.be/kZjcGXDRYOw

Yeah, those videos do go too light on Bauer.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Trevor Bauer already got a second chance, he got to go play in Japan well also receiving the money from his Dodgers contract. He isn't owed a chance to play in MLB again and any team that takes him on should be ridiculed.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I saw this from the ESPN article about the Franco case

Franco was paying the mother and there was some kind of sugar daddy thing going on for the daughter but the mother wasn’t giving the money to her and what the gently caress this guy should be kept away from anyone under 70 and the mother should be kept as far away from them both as possible

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Yep same, it's unfortunate because I thought some of their earlier stuff was interesting but as soon as they branched out of obscure and wacky former players to talk about current MLB drama it turned out the guy running it has some real dogshit opinions.

Popete posted:

Trevor Bauer already got a second chance, he got to go play in Japan well also receiving the money from his Dodgers contract. He isn't owed a chance to play in MLB again and any team that takes him on should be ridiculed.

Extremely funny to see people whine online about how Bauer's life has been RUINED BY CANCEL CULTURE when he's made over $100M in his playing career and will be able to live in the lap of luxury for the rest of his life even if he never makes another dollar playing baseball.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Which lovely pitcher winning the cy young was stupider? robbie ray or rick porcello?

I mean, Robbie led the AL in era, starts, innings pitched, and led the majors in strikeouts that year. Seemed pretty deserving.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mcmagic posted:

Which lovely pitcher winning the cy young was stupider? robbie ray or rick porcello?

Bartolo Colon

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The NL Cy race this year was really weird. Snell won on his extremely low ERA but his peripherals are nutty: 5.8 H/9, 5.0 BB/9, 0.8 HR/9, 11.7 K/9, most walks allowed by a qualified pitcher at 99. He was pretty darn wild but also impossible to hit so it didn't matter he was walking the planet because none of those guys were likely to actually be batted in.

Meanwhile Strider posted an insane 13.5 K/9, led the league in strikeouts, and had a FIP and xERA that were both almost a full run lower than Snell's, but he also somehow paired with with a near-4 ERA that kicked him all the way down to fourth on the ballot.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
There is some local speculation that the reason the Red Sox are operating this way; being cheap, shedding contracts, etc. is to prep for being sold

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Me for literally every Trevor Bauer post:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

“Don’t be so hard on Trevor Bauer. He beat the poo poo out of his girl and choked her unconscious, yes, but have you considered maybe it’s because some people made fun of his training methods?”

Is certainly a take

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Bullying is bad but being a narcissistic psychopath is worse. I understand trying to contextualize why he’s a piece of poo poo but plenty of kids got bullied all the time (myself included) and didn’t develop a pattern of sexually assaulting their partners and spewing their one-degree-off-Schilling opinions all over the place.

Very big Patrick Bateman “I’m a child of divorce” vibes from this poster.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Nodoze posted:

There is some local speculation that the reason the Red Sox are operating this way; being cheap, shedding contracts, etc. is to prep for being sold
I love this billionaire logic that, if you want to sell a huge public facing asset like a very old baseball team, you first must slowly destroy its reputation and brand image over a period of several years to make it more attractive to buyers.

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

I was bullied as a child and yet have never committed sexual assault.

Some say there are millions like me with nary a YouTube hagiography nor millions of dollars to our names. We're all very noble.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Maybe I’m too optimistic, but even if Bauer could come back and be decent for dirt cheap, it does seem like he has enough stink on him that even the grossest owners won’t want any part of him. He legitimately has a reputation that will cause a certain portion of fans to get turned off the product. The trade off doesn’t seem worth it to win a few more games for cheap but have a ton of people stop coming to games.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I would assume that the quasi apology was basically teams saying “we’re not even talking to you unless you do some damage control”. So hopefully if there’s just way more “that is incredibly gross, gently caress him” then “poor guy” bullshit they’ll all take a walk.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

DeepDickPizza posted:

Maybe I’m too optimistic, but even if Bauer could come back and be decent for dirt cheap, it does seem like he has enough stink on him that even the grossest owners won’t want any part of him. He legitimately has a reputation that will cause a certain portion of fans to get turned off the product. The trade off doesn’t seem worth it to win a few more games for cheap but have a ton of people stop coming to games.
I think there are a LOT of baseball fans who consume baseball through traditional media and as such will follow the narrative being set out for them on Bauer. Most of the other baseball fans I’ve talked to irl seem to buy his story now. They saw some texts, heard he never got charged or had “some legal thing” dismissed, and think he got set up by a gold digger. None of them heard about the other THREE women who came forward about him. And even when I tell them, it’s easily dismissed as more fake stuff coming out of the woodwork after he first one. Even somewhat online fans have seen things like Bauer’s own bullshit videos, or that Baseball Doesn’t Exist video, and think he’s been unjustly pilloried.

Most baseball fans will not give a poo poo. Signing Bauer isn’t going to tank any team’s attendance, especially to a team like Tampa (what attendance?) or Houston (already conditioned to supporting players everyone else hates).

Now he’s doing the boilerplate “apology” tour, which was the thing he had to do for teams to consider him. He has to prove that he can sit through softball interviews and give PR responses instead of ranting and sounding like a lunatic. Once he checks that box teams will come looking. Our hope before was that he’s such a self-entitled prick he’d be constitutionally incapable of doing this.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 6, 2024

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I don’t think it will “tank” any team’s attendance. Not even like 10% or anything. But at that scale, 1 or 2% is still huge and not really offset by the couple extra wins. Especially when paired with such fans being vocal in their disapproval.

And I dunno what casual fans you’re talking to that have adapted to a gold digger narrative. Most people I talk to are pretty checked out on the details and just know the initial story and maybe that he’s been banished to Japan for it. People don’t pay close attention to this stuff but the know the broad strokes are gross. It’s not like he’s a likeable guy otherwise.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I’m skeptical that there will be any measurable attendance hit for the team that signs him.

American sports fans as a whole are pretty poo poo and don’t generally care about this kinda thing. Opponents will boo him and fans of his team will be galvanized by it/make excuses once he’s “their guy.” Some people will be mad, but not enough to matter and their views won’t be what gets amplified by mainstream sports media.

There was a time when Braves fans I knew hated Ozuna. Then he started hitting again and they didn’t give a poo poo about his awful DV record. Most fans don’t want to think about any of this when watching their team.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 6, 2024

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
personally I hope Bauer's Tesla burst into flames while he's driving and the doors lock and won't open. I just assume he drives a Tesla.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

He does seem like a cybertruck guy yeah

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
He was on WFAN and he was just as annoying as I remembered.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

There was a time when Braves fans I knew hated Ozuna. Then he started hitting again and they didn’t give a poo poo about his awful DV record. Most fans don’t want to think about any of this when watching their team.

Yeah it's this, the reality is fans of whatever team didn't sign him will hate him and fans of the team that does sign him will either also hate him if he's now bad or be extremely smug about him if he's good. For every fan who cares enough to not tune into their favorite team because he got signed there are thousands who won't give a poo poo.

DeepDickPizza posted:

And I dunno what casual fans you’re talking to that have adapted to a gold digger narrative. Most people I talk to are pretty checked out on the details and just know the initial story and maybe that he’s been banished to Japan for it. People don’t pay close attention to this stuff but the know the broad strokes are gross. It’s not like he’s a likeable guy otherwise.

Bauer made zero secret about his politics prior to the sexual assault allegations cropping up and from what I've seen where you fall on the Bauer situation has less to do with how plugged into baseball news you are and more if you're a chud or not. Like that really seems to be it: if you're conservative then Bauer is an innocent good boy whose life was maliciously destroyed by an evil gold digger, and if you're not then he's an obnoxious peace of poo poo who you probably already didn't want on your team even before poo poo hit the fan, and all everything else since has done is galvanize you in that regard.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I honestly think there's only a couple of teams he could not sign with. Mets, Jays, Dodgers. That's the list I think. Might be wrong about the Mets.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

To be clear, the only thing I meant is that Bauer being bullied throughout his life and career might have contributed to him being the piece of poo poo he is now. I didn't mean that it should be an excuse for his views, actions, or sexual assault, or to garner any sympathy for him. If that's what it sounded like, then I'm sorry. I think he's a bad person who should be paying for his actions in jail, and has no business getting a second chance to play professional baseball.

It was a bad post I wrote late at night, and I'm sorry.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

bawfuls posted:

I’m skeptical that there will be any measurable attendance hit for the team that signs him.

American sports fans as a whole are pretty poo poo and don’t generally care about this kinda thing. Opponents will boo him and fans of his team will be galvanized by it/make excuses once he’s “their guy.” Some people will be mad, but not enough to matter and their views won’t be what gets amplified by mainstream sports media.

When I lived in the Pittsburgh area I was astounded at how many women I saw wearing Roethlisberger jerseys

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I honestly think there's only a couple of teams he could not sign with. Mets, Jays, Dodgers. That's the list I think. Might be wrong about the Mets.

I hope the Yankees wouldn't get near him with Cole on the roster.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

If there’s truth to their limit on Ohtani being Cole’s contract, they’d definitely stay away from a guy he has known beef with.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

bawfuls posted:

Most baseball fans will not give a poo poo. Signing Bauer isn’t going to tank any team’s attendance, especially to a team like Tampa (what attendance?) or Houston (already conditioned to supporting players everyone else hates).

I’m going to go out on a limb and say there’s zero chance Tampa will wander into this mess

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Luigi Thirty posted:

I’m going to go out on a limb and say there’s zero chance Tampa will wander into this mess

lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Luigi Thirty posted:

lol

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

:thurman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

:vince: