Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gripweed posted:

If it was that bad it's no wondering they're cancelling it

I give this joke an D-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

People have explained FAST to me before and the distinction, but I still can't grasp how "FAST" isn't just.... regular television. It's a channel that shows TV programs with ads. That's... that's just regular television! :psyduck:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Jerusalem posted:

People have explained FAST to me before and the distinction, but I still can't grasp how "FAST" isn't just.... regular television. It's a channel that shows TV programs with ads. That's... that's just regular television! :psyduck:

Right, except you don't need an antenna or pay for cable.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God, I’m gonna miss Minx. I liked that show a hell of a lot. American Born Chinese was super mid though so w/e

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GreenNight posted:

Just, you know, Internet.

I think the main difference between television and FAST is that several jerks got paid to come up with an acronym.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I named my Baldur’s Gate 3 character Bambi after Bambi from Minx because I played it while s2 was airing. I understand it’s also the name of some cartoon horse or something ofc

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Just, you know, Internet.

I think the main difference between television and FAST is that several jerks got paid to come up with an acronym.

It’s unlikely you’re paying for internet just to use FAST thought.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

GreenNight posted:

So the only distinction is that it's regular television but you don't need an antenna!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

So the only distinction is that it's regular television but you don't need an antenna!

And apparently you also need internet! Gotta get specific.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

GreenNight posted:

But you already have the internet!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GreenNight posted:

I mean, like, you need decent high speed internet that doesn't experience a lot of interruptions and isn't capped. So that's premium internet, and not just what you'd need to send messages and pay the bills etc. Plus it's an ongoing cost -- so, similar to cable in that sense, or perhaps UK television with its license fees, but different to linear television in that you don't just install a television aerial and buy a screen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The biggest distinction is that it collapses the distribution model.

Cable -> Warner Brothers Discovery reaches a licensing deal with AMC for Babylon 5. AMC schedules Babylon 5 on their channel and sells the ad space to make money. That money, combined with carriage fees that they get from the cable operators, is what allows them to license content. Cable companies use subscriber fees to pay the carriage costs and operating costs. Warner Brother's take is essentially the licencing agreement. If Babylon 5 is somehow widely successful for AMC and the price for the ad slots shoot up, that's unlikely to make Warner Brothers more money unless there was some sort of revenue sharing baked into the agreement, but I don't think that's common.

FAST -> Warner Brothers Discovery works with various companies to create one or more channels. These companies specialize in programming (what should be shown when) and channel creation (graphics, metadata, encoding, all the technical stuff.) Warner Brothers Discovery then pays a FAST provider to carry the channel for some nominal fee. In some cases though, the provider will pay Warner Brothers Discovery to carry the channel if it's desirable content that they want exclusive access to. Here's the REALLY important bit. Ad.revenue.sharing. There are a bunch of different models. In some the FAST provider manages the inventory of ads and the channel and provider split the ad payout. In other instances, both the provider and channel creator have their own ad inventory and they split the available slots. However, no matter what, Warner Brothers Discovery gets paid DIRECTLY for ad revenue on the platform. More people watch, more money they get. It also makes the calculus for residuals easier for them. If they have good enough programming directors, they can figure out what level of ad load will break even to pay the residuals on something so they can ensure that this particular show streaming isn't going to make them lose money. That is why they pulled the show from their normal streaming library in the first place. "Lovecraft Country" isn't likely to get Max net new subscribers, so anytime someone streams it, they take a hit financially that likely isn't being made up for through new or continued subscriber fees or the level of ads that run on ad supported tiers. So, they punt it to FAST where it will almost certainly make some money, even if a small amount.

So, that's really it. FAST allows the content creators to more directly monetize their properties, cutting out the network middle man and getting immediate revenue based on views. It's an end run around the traditional cable distribution model with fixed network channels. You can be drat sure that premium FAST will be coming down the pipeline soon where they introduce a subscriber fee for some premium (ad supported) channels, thus completing the rebirth of cable without networks or cable companies.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Letterboxd will be adding TV show functionality this year

I understand why some might react negatively to this, but I for one am excited.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
They latest Dunkey video does a good job at highlighting the ridiculousness of the streaming landscape these days.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Looten Plunder posted:

They latest Dunkey video does a good job at highlighting the ridiculousness of the streaming landscape these days.
I have no idea if like half of the stuff in that is a joke or real but I guess that says more about the state if streaming

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I think the only non-true part is the content swapping section because it had ABC iView as one of the players which is the Australian national broadcaster but I think that is an error rather than made up. The most ridiculous stuff (Godzilla and Pokemon) is definitely accurate.

What's worse about the Pokemon example is that it's not "some site" it's the official Pokemon website.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Looten Plunder posted:

Hrm. I've been logging movies with Letterboxd and TV shows with Trakt and world really rather use do it all in one place and this doesn't make the decision easier

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
My concern is that television is just too piecemeal to sit comfortably alongside films. But hey ho make the content grow.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hope it’s a different “section” almost. If not I’ll probably end up making another account just for TV lol

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Ahhhghh The Curse is so good. The last half of this episode went from hilarious to loving eerie in minutes.

Escobarbarian posted:

God, I’m gonna miss Minx. I liked that show a hell of a lot. American Born Chinese was super mid though so w/e

So meant to reply to this earlier. Barbie was such a great character, and the second season gave her a really sweet, understated arc that I'm sad not to see continue. I'm very happy with the implications of where she ends up, though.

Joyce and Doug are such trainwrecks that I'm ironically fine with how they ended up, too.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

How is it ok for House of the Dragon to use the exact same theme song as Game of Thrones. Laziest thing ever for a show with a huge budget. It should be against some hollywood union rules to use the exact same song. At least Hans Zimmer moves some of the notes around when he does movie scores that sound the same.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
For a second I thought something fun was going to happen on this episode of Monarch, but I was wrong.

It's hilarious that Wyatt Russell's character gets back to the real world, discovers that he has been gone for twenty years, and then decides to sit in a retirement home for forty years straight, with no explanation why

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Still love Reacher but ooh boy did this week's episode jump the shark for me.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Oasx posted:

For a second I thought something fun was going to happen on this episode of Monarch, but I was wrong.

It's hilarious that Wyatt Russell's character gets back to the real world, discovers that he has been gone for twenty years, and then decides to sit in a retirement home for forty years straight, with no explanation why

The show has been so frustrating, and I thought this episode was one of the better ones. They've totally wasted what they could have done with Wyatt/Kurt Russell

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oasx posted:

Yeah that was a really disappointing reveal.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Looten Plunder posted:

loving finally. I mean, I get that there's value to keeping it ~pure kino~ and I certainly like movies way more than TV, but it's a real pain in the rear end to keep track of TV shows because no other service can touch the functionality or community of Letterboxd. I've been gathering lots of weird old obscure TV that I want to watch, but never actually remember what I want to watch. It's all split between a half-assed IMDB list and a Google Doc I always forget the name of and a bunch of cheap DVD box sets I've purchased over the years.

Worrying about the founders selling a large stake, though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yeah I use an app called TV Time to track my movies and TV shows and I want to move to Letterboxed but it only doing movies prevented me.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I watched the 90-minute pilot of Little House on the Prairie on Freevee. It's a good Christmas movie in the sense that it has a long enough Christmas plot near the end

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The first episode of Delicious in Dungeon has a lot of exposition but whatever I am down for a fun cooking dungeons and dragons anime.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Question, is there a thread on Yellowstone? My mom loves the show and now that she’s temporarily moved in with me I got to watch a few episodes and well it’s extremely not my jam. I’m curious what goon opinions are like

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've never seen the show but the consensus seems to be that it is just boomer bait meant to prop up CBS and Paramount+

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yellowstone streams on Peacock so lol on Paramount+ not getting their flagship series

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Question, is there a thread on Yellowstone? My mom I’m curious what goon opinions are like

Overall not positive.

I’ve seen a few episodes and it’s just too over the top.

It’s Dallas for the 2020s

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Looten Plunder posted:

I’d rather they add recommendations based on your ratings, but whatever.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I had a feeling that was the prevailing opinion of Yellowstone here. Definitely agree.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, no thread, because holly poo poo, it’s boomer bait and not much more.

BUT I have to admit the “not much more” was enough for me to to binge this poo poo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MarcusSA posted:

It’s Dallas for the 2020s

This is precisely and exactly what I've said multiple times.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Timby posted:

This is precisely and exactly what I've said multiple times.

Yeah that’s probably where I got it from and it fits perfectly.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I never saw Dallas. Where the main characters in it mass murderers? I think some of the Yellowstone main characters have a body count running in the 30s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Yellowstone streams on Peacock so lol on Paramount+ not getting their flagship series

This is why they’re happy letting Costner go and making a new show with McConaughey, right? So they can keep the streaming rights?