Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

When I bring up Asian food in Kingston, people recommend the Mandarin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Hubbert posted:

it's anything past the rockies

Anything past Hope

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Canada is well beyond Hope

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

When I told people in Victoria that I was moving back to the east coast more than one person asked me where in Ontario I was moving.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
it's funny, you learn the names of the provinces in grade school and maybe you can label them on a map. but not until you drive east from the prairies and think "holy gently caress how much ontario is there", and/or drive east from "eastern canada" and think "oh there's more?" does anything sink in

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The longitudinal center of Canada is near Winnipeg, so logically Manitoba is central Canada and everything east of that is eastern Canada. :colbert:

If you want to talk about the little ones at the end you call them the Maritimes.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

pokeyman posted:

it's funny, you learn the names of the provinces in grade school and maybe you can label them on a map. but not until you drive east from the prairies and think "holy gently caress how much ontario is there", and/or drive east from "eastern canada" and think "oh there's more?" does anything sink in

Drive to Saskatoon from Regina and then marvel at how much more Saskatchewan they've got tucked away up there

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I should visit winnipeg I was born there and we moved to vancouver when I was a baby I've never been back

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
https://twitter.com/ElizabethMay/status/1743662485524079049?t=7w-3-b6jWtisf-BmWnmplw&s=19

Green Party running on a "actually, everything is fine, especially housing" platform

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Frosted Flake posted:

Is that Cambodian crêpe place still there, just off Princess? It was dope.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

https://twitter.com/ElizabethMay/status/1743662485524079049?t=7w-3-b6jWtisf-BmWnmplw&s=19

Green Party running on a "actually, everything is fine, especially housing" platform

Ah yes, the famously affordable ... Lower Mainland

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I was about to say I'd like to see their methodology but actually I'm confident in my preconceived notion that it's stupid as poo poo.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Precambrian Video Games posted:

I was about to say I'd like to see their methodology but actually I'm confident in my preconceived notion that it's stupid as poo poo.

lol it's indexed to New York, and then presumably expressed in USD.

Everything's fine folks.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Karach posted:

Everything's fine folks.

EIU are bozos, they gave Vancouver 100/100 for healthcare in the latest livability index.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Karach posted:

Everything's fine folks.

That much is clear but even setting aside how Toronto is supposedly cheaper than Detroit and Cleveland, you'd have to do some very interesting math to find it more affordable than Calgary and Montreal.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Surprised that Lizzie can see anything from beyond her vineyard

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Litty Lizzie doesnt understand exchange rates or how to read a graph. Sad!

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

That much is clear but even setting aside how Toronto is supposedly cheaper than Detroit and Cleveland, you'd have to do some very interesting math to find it more affordable than Calgary and Montreal.

Maybe public health care makes that much of a difference?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Karach posted:

Maybe public health care makes that much of a difference?

between toronto and montreal?

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Arivia posted:

between toronto and montreal?

They're at the same point on the index? I was thinking of the difference between Toronto and Detroit.

Look, I'm sending this whole article back to London with SHOW YOUR WORK written in red ink on it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Karach posted:

They're at the same point on the index? I was thinking of the difference between Toronto and Detroit.

Look, I'm sending this whole article back to London with SHOW YOUR WORK written in red ink on it.

sorry i missed the first part of the post you quoted. my bad.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Frosted Flake posted:

they're not wrong

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

it's 2024 they should be calling it the Humandarin

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Karach posted:

Maybe they're using average wages and that's skewed by rich finance guys in New York and Toronto? Only way I can explain it.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

its the economist they dont even know what the gently caress they're doing themselves

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Everything is just "gotcha" posting now. "Haha my source says you are wrong, you are owned!" Who gives a poo poo about material reality when you can own your opponents, nevermind if it makes you look like a completly out of touch rear end in a top hat.

Marie Antoinette rear end politicians.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Virtual Russian posted:

Everything is just "gotcha" posting now. "Haha my source says you are wrong, you are owned!" Who gives a poo poo about material reality when you can own your opponents, nevermind if it makes you look like a completly out of touch rear end in a top hat.

Marie Antoinette rear end politicians.

#factsmatter bro

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

RBC posted:

#factsmatter bro

Imagine living on Vancouver Island and looking at this and thinking "I knew it, I always knew Vancouver was in the bottom of the ranking of cost of living in NA." Beyond Clueless.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Arivia posted:

sorry i missed the first part of the post you quoted. my bad.

the economist fucks everybody up. I used to think my dad was really smart because he pretended to read it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

ElehemEare posted:

EIU are bozos, they gave Vancouver 100/100 for healthcare in the latest livability index.

health-related innumeracy is a bc speciality

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Karach posted:

the economist fucks everybody up. I used to think my dad was really smart because he pretended to read it.

sounds like he was smarter for pretending to read it instead of actually reading it.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Virtual Russian posted:

Imagine living on Vancouver Island and looking at this and thinking "I knew it, I always knew Vancouver was in the bottom of the ranking of cost of living in NA." Beyond Clueless.

With this tweet she deserves to be removed from any office holy hell but why would I even expect a career politician boomer have any idea what housing costs.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Chillyrabbit posted:

Agreed, Canadians love their parking lots and strip malls consist of more than 50% lot.

Just FYI to anyone reading but the city did not listen to the whiners in this case and built the housing anyway (see this page):

You can see the old parking lot on Google street view and apparently the community managed to survive the loss of this critical public space by making do with the existing parking lot directly outside the hockey arena and the circle for drop offs, both of which were closer than the former lot.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
I'm glad they did, I just had that old article bookmarked because the ridiculousness of a parking lot being why we can't have more dense housing.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
that parking lot was the beating heart of the community, if you darned kids read a book once in your life you would know you cant live without a heart and now that its heart has been torn out the community is dead and buried thanks to woke liberals and their communist policy of giving people homes with a roof

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Albino Squirrel posted:

Is that Cambodian crpe place still there, just off Princess? It was dope.

Wok-In?

Yeah it rules.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Just FYI to anyone reading but the city did not listen to the whiners in this case and built the housing anyway (see this page):

You can see the old parking lot on Google street view and apparently the community managed to survive the loss of this critical public space by making do with the existing parking lot directly outside the hockey arena and the circle for drop offs, both of which were closer than the former lot.

Note how there are no humans in this picture? Yeah, they all died because of the parking lot disappearing.

Shame.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

vyelkin posted:

that parking lot was the beating heart of the community, if you darned kids read a book once in your life you would know you cant live without a heart and now that its heart has been torn out the community is dead and buried thanks to woke liberals and their communist policy of giving people homes with a roof

Speaking of books, we're defunding the public library

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Fidelitious posted:

Note how there are no humans in this picture? Yeah, they all died because of the parking lot disappearing.

Shame.

the parking lot didnt have enough staircases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saints gambit
Apr 8, 2004
a donut with no holes is a danish

Fidelitious posted:

I've been to Pub 101 (once only of course) and it was definitely bad. It does not even come close to the shamefulness of the Lowertown Brewery. I am shocked that that place is somehow still operating.

Legitimately, I work with the Ontario Craft Brewers and maintain a map of the breweries in the province.

I have been wondering when Lowertown was going to go under for years at this point. It's so generic that between wondering about its closure, I mostly forget about it.