Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Fozzy The Bear posted:

From a few pages back, but what is this? I'm in northern California and my Accuweather® forecast isn't going below 40° for the next few weeks. I don't see even a mild cold front coming in.

A couple of the forecast model runs from two days ago were predicting the entire west coast would be obliterated by mr freeze, it's not going to happen

More importantly, 2024 temperature anomaly is kool aid manning into the chat

https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1743615655117758526/photo/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

OIL PANIC posted:

just glad i got to eat a lotta (edit: cheap!!!) snowcrab before... well, you know...
what else should be on my list? i saw dolphin and whale mentioned - anything else?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPggB4MfPnk

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

OIL PANIC posted:

plasticizers? in my foods?
yes, universally. but fear not, consumer reports will help you identify lesser evils:

"how to stay safer"

lol

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

OIL PANIC posted:

plasticizers? in my foods?
yes, universally. but fear not, consumer reports will help you identify lesser evils:

quote:

A serving of Pizza Hut's Original Cheese Pan Pizza, for example, had half the phthalate levels of a similar pizza from Little Caesars.
as a consumer, i love making Informed Choices :stoked:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The problem with too much plastic can be solved with more naturally occurring asbestos in the ocean

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

A couple of the forecast model runs from two days ago were predicting the entire west coast would be obliterated by mr freeze, it's not going to happen

*laughing maniacly*

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

ikanreed posted:

The problem with too much plastic can be solved with more naturally occurring asbestos in the ocean

once all the ice and permafrost melts, there will be more ocean. we are already solving the problem.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

need a weather literacy thread

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

pls stop sending me this graph

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
holy poo poo, pro click
"the only descriptions of [giant tortoises] are comparing them to chicken, beef, mutton, and butter, and saying how much better they are than all of those things. no one who'd ever eaten tortoise had ever eaten anything better. and the liver, and the bone marrow, every part of it was unbelievably delicious"

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
as you contemplate the multi-variate horrors awaiting us over the next several decades, just remember that through all of it, you'll still have to go to work

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER

The Oldest Man posted:

it's shaping up to be everything I had dreamed of it being. i'm so proud & tearing up. the chart is growing up healthy and strong :)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

you guys, we did it

I'm so proud

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

:rubby:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

RIP Syndrome posted:

"how to stay safer"

lol

"We tested 100 different brands of canned air to see which one has the least microplastics"

soon

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Wakko posted:

Biosphere Collapse: we’re gonna get there

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Laterite posted:

as you contemplate the multi-variate horrors awaiting us over the next several decades, just remember that through all of it, you'll still have to go to work

*Going to work at the biosphere destruction factory, proud, in my lane, absolutely beaming every day as I crush my goals*

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

trucutru posted:

"We tested 100 different brands of canned air to see which one has the least microplastics"

soon

air with bespoke genetically tailored additives that are addictive

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
So I guess extinctions will just start coming in waves corresponding with periods of excessive regional daily temperatures, a tough time for anything that cannot migrate

Laterite posted:

"Did you hear? All the whales died. I'm still gonna need that report, though"

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I can't wait to explain to someone how computer bugs got their name, but as part of it I have to explain what bugs were.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Salt Fish posted:

I can't wait to explain to someone how computer bugs got their name, but as part of it I have to explain what bugs were.

If these temperatures are truly "incompatible with organized human society" you'll be explaining what computers were

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

OIL PANIC posted:

holy poo poo, pro click
"the only descriptions of [giant tortoises] are comparing them to chicken, beef, mutton, and butter, and saying how much better they are than all of those things. no one who'd ever eaten tortoise had ever eaten anything better. and the liver, and the bone marrow, every part of it was unbelievably delicious"

the fears of nanobots assimilating the world was projection, because part of our great work is turning all biomass into human biomass.

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU

OIL PANIC posted:

just glad i got to eat a lotta (edit: cheap!!!) snowcrab before... well, you know...
what else should be on my list? i saw dolphin and whale mentioned - anything else?

You could try to eat starfish like the Masaru guy on youtube attempted and regretted.

Unfortunately I've tried whale (not on purpose, it was unlabeled at a small native event)and it's the worst thing I've ever had. Like beef soaked in a metallic brine. Do not recommend.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Rauros posted:

the fears of nanobots assimilating the world was projection, because part of our great work is turning all biomass into human biomass.

people who always assume projection are projecting

Communist Cop
Jun 29, 2023

The Oldest Man posted:

I personally love positive feedback loops

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

Jizzny Princess posted:

You could try to eat starfish like the Masaru guy on youtube attempted and regretted.
[edit:removed video - it was pretty gross and sad - mlmp]

OIL PANIC has issued a correction as of 23:56 on Jan 6, 2024

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Surely my town full of hills in the PNW has taken a clue from the last few years and invested in serious snow plow efforts. Surely.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Is there run away global warming or do we need snow plows? Make up your mind!!!!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
You expect me to believe these constantly changing extremes are bad??? I thought you types liked diversity!

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Dokapon Findom posted:

Remember when Red Lobster had the all-you-can-eat crab and then they ran out of crab?

Lol this is the exact same thing that happened to the Atlantic cod fishery. Once they fished the cod out the whole structure of that ecosystem reorganized itself (or, "collapsed" is probably a more apt term) so there basically wasn't a place for them anymore in the trophic levels, so the numbers never recovered

I got curious about Deadliest Catch and stumbled across a clip where the King crab season was canceled so the crews 'had' to go hunt other species or face financial liquidation. What follows is jubilee over exploiting Pacific Black Cod that are presently not viewed as overfished...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM75TwzHGAg

Anyways - Snow Crabs

https://apps-st.fisheries.noaa.gov/stocksmart?stockname=Snow%20crab%20-%20Bering%20Sea&stockid=10820

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU

Rip Testes posted:

I got curious about Deadliest Catch and stumbled across a clip where the King crab season was canceled so the crews 'had' to go hunt other species or face financial liquidation. What follows is jubilee over exploiting Pacific Black Cod that are presently not viewed as overfished...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM75TwzHGAg

Lol, brilliant. Fish a species that takes 6 years to reach sexual maturity and can live for up to 90 years old. What happened with the crabs definitely won't happen here!

I don't understand why this show is still around.

At least with Meerkat Manor no species went extinct during the filming of its show.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

it’s a model from two days ago showing something potentially funny that is unlikely to happen now
looks like I will have to return all the p'fassy outerwear and environmentally friendly fleeces made of recycled plastic I bought for $1000

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Dokapon Findom posted:

Lol this is the exact same thing that happened to the Atlantic cod fishery. Once they fished the cod out the whole structure of that ecosystem reorganized itself (or, "collapsed" is probably a more apt term) so there basically wasn't a place for them anymore in the trophic levels, so the numbers never recovered
lol reading about the collapse of cod fishery and then the move to groundfish like halibut, flounder etc.

quote:

As the predatory groundfish population declined, a thriving invertebrates fishing industry emerged, snow crab and northern shrimp proliferated, providing the basis for a new initiative that is roughly equivalent in economic value to the cod fishery it replaced.[3]

also how is the northern shrimp industry doing?

:rip:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I'm sure Americans will love to eat extremely r selected species that thrive in eutrophicated environments. Jellyfish will absolutely be just as good as crab for red lobster soups

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
don't worry

there's always more fish in the sea

:shepface:

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

ikanreed posted:

I'm sure Americans will love to eat extremely r selected species that thrive in eutrophicated environments. Jellyfish will absolutely be just as good as crab for red lobster soups

Uni is a delicacy, everything will be fine.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Humbly farming mosquitos in the year 2078

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Salt Fish posted:

very optimistic to assume that mosquitoes, ticks, and roaches won't be around in the future

sure, everything else will be dead, but those aren't going anywhere

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

:pusheen:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

number goes down...? that can't be right at all. please profit the same chart but with profit. thanks in advance