Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Scarabrae posted:

Thought exercise for this thread, can someone explain to me the most logical evidence people can come up with that the moon landings were faked? Of course I know they’re not, just arguing with flat earth adjacents is kinda funny

I think the why files does a decent job laying out the pro-conspiracy case
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDyJe1nmSOM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
My favourite debunking of the moon landing being fake was a director of cinematography explaining why the equipment they had at the time couldn't have produced the needed footage in terms of duration.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
My favorite silver bullet - excepting the literal equipment, tracks, and footprints they left behind - is the way the dust kicks up and falls with respect to the moon's lower gravity. Very, very difficult to fake properly with CGI and certainly at the time just impossible.

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmizQk1P5sk

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
there's a pretty fun movie called Capricorn One that riffs on this

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

mawarannahr posted:

similar vibe

Cool to know these people and assholes like Bill Gates are malthusian fucks who cannot shut the gently caress up about “overpopulation”.

even right wingers are now talking about this. Watch the last 15 minutes of the Bret Weinstein interview with Tucker that just dropped.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
https://x.com/420joke/status/1743502362528924113?s=46&t=k7smcuhYKGGdqS7NiFekpQ

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

:catstare:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Kubrick would have insisted on filming on location.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

That's the good stuff.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The Top G posted:

Searched the thread and didn’t see any mention of Kurt Sonnenfeld. I just stumbled upon him a few minutes ago but his case is compelling. Honestly his whole Wikipedia article is :stare: type stuff so I just posted it here I. It’s entirety:

the one time the cops don’t immediately rule a gunshot to the head a suicide

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

the moon landing being fake let’s the US government off the hook for spending ludicrous amounts of money on Nazi rockets to unnecessarily put humans beings on a barren rock when the Soviets smartly just sent probes and rovers

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

MonsieurChoc posted:

Kubrick would have insisted on filming on location.

this is what happened - the moon landing was filmed on a sound stage but the sound stage was on the moon to get that authentic moon gravity

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Endman posted:

the moon landing being fake let’s the US government off the hook for spending ludicrous amounts of money on Nazi rockets to unnecessarily put humans beings on a barren rock when the Soviets smartly just sent probes and rovers

yes, also it was just spacewashing for our ICBM research and production

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Just like nuclear power plants are an excuse to produce shitloads of weapons grade plutonium

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Zadok Allen posted:

Cool to know these people and assholes like Bill Gates are malthusian fucks who cannot shut the gently caress up about “overpopulation”.

even right wingers are now talking about this. Watch the last 15 minutes of the Bret Weinstein interview with Tucker that just dropped.

Drake no: overpopulation problem

Drake yes: distribution of resources problem

The earth can support 8 billion people, but not under capitalism

borgnar
Dec 30, 2018
i have no doubt that they would've faked the moon landings if they thought they could get away with it, but there's a whole lot of factors that make me think they most likely did it for real. the main thing is how would they have done it without the soviets knowing about it, and if the soviets knew about it why wouldn't they have said something about it. i can understand why people think they faked that poo poo and i approve of automatically assuming the government is lying when they say anything, but in this case i think the main chance is they actually did the thing they claim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_loUDS4c3Cs
here's a neat video about the technical challenges that woulda been involved in faking the footage

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is the Stephen Hawking midget stuff for real? Sorry I'm too lazy to go digging for it right now but I was so blown away when I heard ghat at work today, I couldn't believe it.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Mister Speaker posted:

Is the Stephen Hawking midget stuff for real? Sorry I'm too lazy to go digging for it right now but I was so blown away when I heard ghat at work today, I couldn't believe it.

Uh what? Can you elaborate?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Endman posted:

The problem with this theory is that the Soviets tried to send people to the moon too, though. They just didn't have the computing and manufacturing resources to make their rocketry approach work for that.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

FMJ was shot in England one of a hundred reasons the movie is dumb.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

barry lydon is more impressive than a moon landing

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

linoleum floors posted:

Just like nuclear power plants are an excuse to produce shitloads of weapons grade plutonium

Environmentalists love to complain about how uranium mining is harmful to the surroundings, but then ignore the potential of breeder reactors that can manufacture fissile material by itself so that nuclear fuel doesn't have to be mined out of the ground.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

Eric Cantonese posted:

The problem with this theory is that the Soviets tried to send people to the moon too, though. They just didn't have the computing and manufacturing resources to make their rocketry approach work for that.

They built the world's biggest and shittiest rocket

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Environmentalists love to complain about how uranium mining is harmful to the surroundings, but then ignore the potential of breeder reactors that can manufacture fissile material by itself so that nuclear fuel doesn't have to be mined out of the ground.

breeder reactors still need mineral inputs, it just lets you mine thorium rather than uranium. its not like a perpetual motion machine

Endman
May 18, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

If my son took another shot at me after I missed on purpose in a duel with him I'd go Fransico Goya's Saturn on that motherfucker

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
anyone else remember jerking it to the tit scarf scene in barry lyndon when they were 13?

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
no

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
well this is embarrassing

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the moon landing hoax didnt need slow mo it could have been shot in a pressurized vessel of some sort of bubble-resistant liquid - i dont really believe this

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ElParece/status/1743387773782884509
https://twitter.com/ElParece/status/1743600122473165043
https://twitter.com/ElParece/status/1743651242994188517

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yeah the cartels are totally CIA

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I love hearing conspiracy theories about Bill Gates because people aren't satisfied with him openly stating his bond villain plans and come up with more convoluted schemes that just end in the same result.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
https://twitter.com/BoltzmannBooty/status/1743875567961665654

https://twitter.com/BoltzmannBooty/status/1743878633486172326

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Yes and i am more surprised that no one ever made a "what if Directors other than Stanley Kubrik faked the moon landing" sketch than by this fact.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 08:29 on Jan 7, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Toplowtech posted:

Yes and i am more surprised that no one ever made a "what if Directors other than Stanley Kubrik faked the moon landing" sketch than by this fact.

Respect to the best obviously

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Respect to the best obviously
Sure but what would the moon landing filmed by Tommy Wiseau or Ed Wood look like?

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Toplowtech posted:

what if roman polanski faked the moon landing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Toplowtech posted:

https://youtu.be/BJ6IPQ2lTeQ?si=eK8tVIOeup-ql0Rf