Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Counterpoint, if your internet is down, being able to change your SSID on your AP isn’t what your focus should be on.

Not sure I understand the rest. Connection to a third party is what the internet is. Unless you are trying to build an isolated network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

s/cloud/butt/g

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Cyks posted:

Counterpoint, if your internet is down, being able to change your SSID on your AP isn’t what your focus should be on.

Not sure I understand the rest. Connection to a third party is what the internet is. Unless you are trying to build an isolated network.

There are certain kinds of cloud-managed AP that will just stop the network from being broadcast at all if it loses contact with the cloud service, taking all local networking access away from you as well.

Definitely spent around a week of increasingly angry calls from a business customer who had APs like that while literally no one else was having issues and it "resolved itself" without us doing anything at all. loving piece of trash

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 22, 2023

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Cyks posted:

Just last week, Ubiquiti accidentally gave people access to other people's accounts, including the ability to modify their network's security settings. There's no good reason to put this kind of stuff in the cloud.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Ubiquiti had the gateway lite in stock this week for a few hours, just long enough for me to think about picking it up before yanking it back out of stock. S’okay, I think I want to spent the $20 more for the one with an AP built in… if they ever make more.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I might have figured this out. I need to do more testing to confirm but I am cautiously optimistic for now.

Turns out, it was a Verizon problem. I found a thread on Reddit from September of this year when people started getting the gateway firmware version that I'm on now. It sounds like it completely broke both DMZ and IP Passthrough mode and the symptoms are exactly like what I am experiencing. Luckily, another Ubiquiti user was who figured this out and the fix required changing their MTU/MSS settings. I SSH'ed into the USG, changed those, and ran some tests.

Everything that wasn't working before, is working now. The only thing remaining to test is Rouvy (an indoor cycling app that I use), which I'll test tomorrow as I've already destroyed my legs with two indoor workouts today.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Inept posted:

Just last week, Ubiquiti accidentally gave people access to other people's accounts, including the ability to modify their network's security settings. There's no good reason to put this kind of stuff in the cloud.
Not to put too fine a point on it, but for a company who generally talks about security at some length, this is basically an admission of complete and utter incompetence.

Why does any customer have the ability to decode another customers stream?
Supposedly it was "a tiny subset" who could access another "tiny subsets" streams. This either implies that they aren't doing per-user end-to-end encryption (and if so, why not, as there's no real impediment to scaling it out), or it implies that the only thing preventing anyone from seeing anyone elses data is that nobody at Ubiquiti push a configuration error.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 23, 2023

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

169.254/16 was allocated for zero-configuration link-local networking in 2005, and I'm pretty sure I remember people attempting it before then.

It didn't work then, and it hasn't worked since - and if it ever gets to a point where some people claim it works, I'm still going to be skeptical enough to rely on it.
Networking isn't hard, just occasionally tedious - and nowadays, it's not like the bad old times when I started, and none of it was documented.

And if anyone ever makes it work what a waste of effort given it actually does work in ip6. Since it was designed from the start to include it as a feature, not just some random "gently caress it" address.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
The Internet of poo poo is slowly taking over my home network and I’d really like to separate it from the rest. I’m running UniFi APs and an EdgeRouter X SFP. Wasn’t there some easy way to present a separate ssid to iot devices and separate them from the rest?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

bolind posted:

The Internet of poo poo is slowly taking over my home network and I’d really like to separate it from the rest. I’m running UniFi APs and an EdgeRouter X SFP. Wasn’t there some easy way to present a separate ssid to iot devices and separate them from the rest?

I dunno about the edge router specifically but yea, you set up a separate SSID, associate it with a separate VLAN, and then set up a routing rule so that the new IoT vlan can't talk to the other VLANs.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

bolind posted:

You can create a VLAN and then create a private pre shared key (PPSK) on your AP that goes to that VLAN. This allows you to keep one SSID but each device goes to a different VLAN depending on the password it uses. I am actually going to try and set this up this weekend.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I did the iot ssid and vlan thing before I replaced my ER-X with a UXG-Pro. You just have to do it twice, once in unifi and once in edgeos.

Haven't ever tried the single ssid with psk though, that sounds interesting if it's not a lot of work?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I have no desire to go update SSIDs and passwords on a bunch of iot crap. The least annoying solution seems to be make a second ssid move things like phones and computers over to that then start locking doors the original?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
That's also fine.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Is there a way to set up a iot vlan on the att 320?

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Burden posted:

You can create a VLAN and then create a private pre shared key (PPSK) on your AP that goes to that VLAN. This allows you to keep one SSID but each device goes to a different VLAN depending on the password it uses. I am actually going to try and set this up this weekend.

I was looking into this because it sounds great. Downside is that it doesn't work with wpa3, at least from what I've read. I suppose not an additional risk really if your in wpa2/wpa3 mode like I am because the weakest link is what matters.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Dyscrasia posted:

I was looking into this because it sounds great. Downside is that it doesn't work with wpa3, at least from what I've read. I suppose not an additional risk really if your in wpa2/wpa3 mode like I am because the weakest link is what matters.

I set it up a little while ago and my U6-Pro did not like it. It just kept restarting every few minutes, so I reverted back to how it was before. I do have a Flex-HD that had no issues with the PPSK so I may just use the PPSK on that and keep the U6-Pro for my main network wifi devices.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Burden posted:

I set it up a little while ago and my U6-Pro did not like it. It just kept restarting every few minutes, so I reverted back to how it was before. I do have a Flex-HD that had no issues with the PPSK so I may just use the PPSK on that and keep the U6-Pro for my main network wifi devices.

Not an option from my end even, either because I've got wpa3 enabled or the image I'm running is out of date. Odd that it fails on the latest hardware.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Hello thread! Can I get some recommendations for a modem and router? This is for my apartment internet. I plan on doing a decent amount of gaming, streaming, downloading, etc. I'm looking to get something relatively top of the line, that'll last me for a few years. I have a temporary modem and router for now, but I'd like permanently upgrade to some nicer stuff. Unfortunately, PC Part Picker doesn't have a modem/router section to peruse. Thanks!

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

literally this big posted:

Hello thread! Can I get some recommendations for a modem and router? This is for my apartment internet. I plan on doing a decent amount of gaming, streaming, downloading, etc. I'm looking to get something relatively top of the line, that'll last me for a few years. I have a temporary modem and router for now, but I'd like permanently upgrade to some nicer stuff. Unfortunately, PC Part Picker doesn't have a modem/router section to peruse. Thanks!

Which internet service provider do you use? What is the speed you pay for? Do they provide a modem? Do they allow third party modems to connect?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fwiw unless you are doing something out of the ordinary I’ve found the modems they give you are perfectly fine. The router might not be the greatest though.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Isn't bufferbloat still a huge issue on every single CPE device?

I've yet to hear about any of them implementing SQM with PIE or CAKE, and they all use big buffers to try and achieve the speeds they advertise.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 5, 2024

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Isn't bufferbloat still a huge issue on every single CPE device?

I've yet to hear about any of them implementing SQM with PIE or CAKE, and they all use big buffers to try and achieve the speeds they advertise.

Yeah I don't think CAKE etc is on anything below prosumer stuff. I know Mikrotik has an implementation in ROS 7.something+ that works pretty well. Re general consumer stuff though, I think they're mostly banking on total speed of package >>> reasonable use meaning bufferbloat won't come up.

e: It's pretty chonky on resources though, the RB4011 (which is getting a bit old to be honest) doesn't seem to want to push gig on my connection with any CAKE running, I end up limited to around 800-850mbps instead of the raw 950ish. Which isn't awful and I get this free from my employer so lol it's fine

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 5, 2024

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Shugojin posted:

Yeah I don't think CAKE etc is on anything below prosumer stuff. I know Mikrotik has an implementation in ROS 7.something+ that works pretty well. Re general consumer stuff though, I think they're mostly banking on total speed of package >>> reasonable use meaning bufferbloat won't come up.

e: It's pretty chonky on resources though, the RB4011 (which is getting a bit old to be honest) doesn't seem to want to push gig on my connection with any CAKE running, I end up limited to around 800-850mbps instead of the raw 950ish. Which isn't awful and I get this free from my employer so lol it's fine
Yea, that’s another reason to avoid the CPE and even prosumer gear - the instant you want to do something that the packet processing ASIC can’t handle on the fast-path, your bandwidth slows down because the low-power MIPS/ARM CPUs can’t do soft-routing.

Interestingly, Kristof Provost has finished his project to disentangle dummynet from ipfw in FreeBSD, so that pf (and any other firewall using netpfil) can also use it.
I assume it's eventually going to be available in some of the FreeBSD appliance OS' - but have no idea when.

EDIT: For anyone who isn't familiar, dummynet lets you configure either packet scheduling (1), and it also lets you probabilistically delay or drop packets (2).
It's also pretty drat fast and can easily handle 20/20Gbps bidirectionally.

1: Either SQM via CoDeL/PIE, or WF2Q+/RR/QFQ - the latter two are exceptionally fast with an O(1) upper bound at around 250ns/packet
2: Quite useful if you're emulating links when doing network simulation to test out new internet protocols, or if you want to ensure that only a sample size of every packet on your network gets sent to a mirror port where Suricata/Snort is listening.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jan 6, 2024

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
I was getting annoyed because I was paying for symmetric 1 Gbps up/down recently and getting nowhere near the speeds and then realized the modem I had is maxed out at 300-400 mbps. I have a Motorola MB7621 which is after some research is clearly outdated. Should I upgrade to the Arris S33 or Arris SURFboard SB8200 modem or is there a current forums favorite?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

adnam posted:

I was getting annoyed because I was paying for symmetric 1 Gbps up/down recently and getting nowhere near the speeds and then realized the modem I had is maxed out at 300-400 mbps. I have a Motorola MB7621 which is after some research is clearly outdated. Should I upgrade to the Arris S33 or Arris SURFboard SB8200 modem or is there a current forums favorite?

Symmetric on DOCSIS? Seems unlikely. Which ISP?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SamDabbers posted:

TIL : https://corporate.comcast.com/press/releases/comcast-multi-gig-symmetrical-speeds-world-first-docsis-4-deployment

Fios must be eating their lunch in some of these markets. That gives me hope that spectrum will follow suite for my new place.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

TIL : https://corporate.comcast.com/press/releases/comcast-multi-gig-symmetrical-speeds-world-first-docsis-4-deployment

Fios must be eating their lunch in some of these markets. That gives me hope that spectrum will follow suite for my new place.

Right, but is D4 actually deployed anywhere?

Edit: Anyway OP, if you're on a D4 system and can actually subscribe to symmetric 1Gbps then you should get a modem certified by your ISP to get the speeds you're paying for. Those Arris ones are D3.1 and neither is even activated for mid-split upload speeds (100-200Mbps) on Comcast, so you definitely wouldn't get symmetric 1Gbps out of them. A cursory search says there aren't any retail D4 modems available yet.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 6, 2024

astral
Apr 26, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

I've heard that Spectrum is rolling out fiber for areas that didn't have Spectrum service before, but you can hope they'll meet their goal of getting high-split out in the next few years.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
At&t fiber skipped my side of the street for no discernable reason so I'm stuck with crazy asymmetrical 300/10 speeds from spectrum. I'd give up 100 down for 10 more up. It's loving brutal. The worst part is I pay them the same for that as AT&T charges for symmetrical gigabit service. :negative:

I hope Spectrum offers some symmetrical plans for a reasonable price. I'd jump on them.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I remember when Verizon started wiring my city for Fios. The wait to leave Comcast was brutal.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

SpartanIvy posted:

At&t fiber skipped my side of the street for no discernable reason

I once lived in a two story apartment building that had Verizon fios downstairs, but only Comcast cable upstairs

The fios box was in the laundryroom, I could see it :(

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Good lord what a day of home network bullshit. I wanted to install a camera and AP in my garage so I bought a U6 Pro and G5 flex camera from ubiquity and a MOCA setup from screenbeam because I only have coax running through the garage. It was gonna be great, Id use my ancient unmanaged switch and the two UI POE injectors i had from before I got a L2 POE switch. The MOCA install was pretty straightforward once I figured out where the MOCA filter needed to go but I could not get the new camera or AP to power up. I was checking patch cables, power cables, the injectors themselves. Nothing worked. I tried plugging them into the new switch and they got recognized immediately, WTF. Randomly I tried my old AC LR ap out in the garage and it booted up immediately. The old flex camera worked too. So the old stuff is out there now and the new stuff is in my office. Hours banging my head on this poo poo and I'm still not sure what the deal is but at least now I have eyes and wifi in the dang garage. What a dumb idea that was IDK why I even bothered

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

SamDabbers posted:

Spectrum, Southern California. Yeah while speeds are 'to a maximum of 1 Gbps'* I'll see if I'm anywhere near there with the correct modem. I'll just use their recommended modem list and pick one on there. Probably leaning towards another Arris SBG8200/8300 since I've used their stuff in the past.Thanks!

editor
Feb 4, 2007

Arson Daily posted:

Id use my ancient unmanaged switch and the two UI POE injectors i had from before I got a L2 POE switch.

Randomly I tried my old AC LR ap out in the garage and it booted up immediately.

careful. are the poe injectors 802.3 compliant, or ubnt passive 48v injectors? the latter can fry gear, but the AC LRs were built for it

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

IIRC the U6 Pro uses a much higher voltage than the UAP-LR did so it's likely that you just didn't have the right POE injector

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Shugojin posted:

IIRC the U6 Pro uses a much higher voltage than the UAP-LR did so it's likely that you just didn't have the right POE injector

I'm such an idiot. You're right the U6 is 44v minimum and the injectors I have are both 24. Dang I didn't even think to check.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, there was a crossover period during the AC generation where some models/versions of Unifi APs supported both passive 24V and standard negotiated 48V - I think I have an AC Pro and an AC Lite which are both able to do either. I believe that the AX generation is all negotiated 48V. You can still use the old injectors to run small Mikrotik boxes if you have any.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 7, 2024

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Are there any consumer routers to avoid? Or brands? My current TP-Link AC router is gradually failing, so I need to replace it, but I keep bouncing off the research I feel I should do.

Really looking at ASUS, Netgear, and Linksys - I've kind of soured on TP-Link at this point. I'm not above getting another TP-Link if they're all about the same, though.

One thing I'd really rather avoid is having a requirement to use a proprietary phone app to manage the device - just let me log in from a web browser, goddamnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Anything sub-$20 is probably not a good idea, they're usually very low on memory and thus can be overloaded by a simple visit to Instagram.

For some reason the "new" router from Optimum / Altice is similarly underpowered, idk so weird as in New England their competitors Comcast (for business) and Verizon ship pretty ok hardware.