Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This has been so obvious for a while there's all the not-really-jokes about how the Star Wars shows only get to be good as long as Disney's c-suite is busy ruining something else.

It also should explain a lot that at this point, Disney is staffed almost entirely by Disney Adults.

Hell, it's been a thing for so long that it's the maybe not true story behind the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie being decent and original. Although in that case it was because it was supposed to spearhead a project of ride based movies that they gave up on so no one cared about the weird pirate movie anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

They released The Haunted Mansion the same year and Country Bears the year before, so I can't really see that story being true.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Simplex posted:

They released The Haunted Mansion the same year and Country Bears the year before, so I can't really see that story being true.

I had to look that up to see if you were just making poo poo up but goddamn, I absolutely memory-holed that one.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yeah both of them bombed, with iirc the Haunted Mansion movie being the hyped one which got their focus, so I see that story being true

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pirates of the Carribean really was lightning in a bottle. I think the casting is a big part of it, you got a bunch of actors hamming it up on their a-game, and the straight-faced leads actually work pretty well playing off Jack's wackiness.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

At least Red Sonja only has that one Schwarzenegger adaptation which either is forgotten or has people nostalgic for it (because they have forgotten how mediocre it is).

Hasn't helped that the RS movie has been in development hell for like one or two decades at this point.

Like I definitely wouldn't mind it actually coming out, a sprinkle of fantasy movies would nice once in a while.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The first pirates movie is still one of my favorites (Depp aside) but they went downhill pretty fast after that

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1743057807119708597?s=20

lmao

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Idk how Peloton works, did she know he was in the "class" or was he just catching strays out of nowhere?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My understanding is that instructors see some kind of name but she probably wasn't aware that it was actually Christopher Nolan.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Travis Scott song from the credits came on so that’s why she talked about how she didn’t like the movie.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

He was watching a recording of an old class, so barring the additional irony that she's a time traveller, she had no way of knowing he'd see it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Sir Kodiak posted:

He was watching a recording of an old class, so barring the additional irony that she's a time traveller, she had no way of knowing he'd see it.

Look she's seen TENET, she obviously knows all the in's and out's of time travel. We can't rule this out.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

The Travis Scott song from the credits came on so that’s why she talked about how she didn’t like the movie.

what a weird choice for a nolan song

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Look she's seen TENET, she obviously knows all the in's and out's of time travel. We can't rule this out.

From what we learned of her watching Tenet, she very much seems not to.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

One by of the things I liked about Tenet is how time travel costs time. You can live your entire life and only progress 20 years if you want.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

honestly gotta go Team Peloton Instructor on this one, Tenet sucked rear end

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Saw Wonka and I enjoyed it. It helps that it is a very earnest movie and doesn't try to be ironic or winking at the audience. Also would have seen it sooner if someone had told me Rich Fulcher was in it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

honestly gotta go Team Peloton Instructor on this one, Tenet sucked rear end

I went in with a 0% expectation because I hated the last few things Nolan worked on (DKR, Interstellar, and Dunkirk) and really enjoyed it. I think a lot of that is because of Pattison and Washington as well as just embracing it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Peloton instructor is half-right, because the time-magic mechanics of Tenet’s plot are so convoluted that they effectively cannot be explained in any detail.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tenet is perfectly fine

It’s not incredible but i think it’s worth watching

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
What, tenet was awful

I've brought it up before but a particularly emblematic scene for me is how rpats and JDW have their big conversation at the end of the movie where rpats explains the entire convoluted time travel scheme and lays out the entire emotional basis of their relationship... except Nolan chooses to have them shout at each other while they're 100 feet apart and walking away from each other in a big field of rubble

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Temporal Pincer Movement was dumb fun

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
One of the first characters in the TENET organisation that the Protagonist meets literally tells the audience that they shouldn't care too much about the science of it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Carpet posted:

One of the first characters in the TENET organisation that the Protagonist meets literally tells the audience that they shouldn't care too much about the science of it.

I listened to her and I didn't care too much, it worked out nicely

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Carpet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0q65EvDMvs

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Gonna make a movie about dragons and then spend several minutes having characters talk about how they shouldn't think about how several tons of crocodile shouldn't be able to fly or breathe fire.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Carpet posted:

That's the dumb thing. It has this whole huge complex plot, but Christopher Nolan keeps on trying to tell his audience they shouldn't think about it too deeply. He even tries to use it justify his lovely sound mixing.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Carpet posted:

They should have embraced that attitude while writing the movie. Instead we got something that probably does make internal sense but hosed if I could enjoy the film enough to care if it did.

Professor Shark posted:

Temporal Pincer Movement was dumb fun

No it wasn't. It was a cool dumb, fun idea executed in the most straightforward, uninteresting, 'action that looks like behind the scenes footage of the action' way possible.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Feldegast42 posted:

The first pirates movie is still one of my favorites (Depp aside) but they went downhill pretty fast after that

Honestly, the first two sequels are very good upon rewatching them a few months ago.

It does help if you approaching them more as the story of Swan becoming a pirate queen. That story is sorta there and started in the first movie but it’s more of the c/d story.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

IShallRiseAgain posted:

That's the dumb thing. It has this whole huge complex plot, but Christopher Nolan keeps on trying to tell his audience they shouldn't think about it too deeply. He even tries to use it justify his lovely sound mixing.

I watch everything with captions, but it always feels like a victory finger if it's a Nolan movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hate that everyone watches everything with caption in every tv. Fucks with my adhd and I can’t pay attention. I’m reading useless repeated info

Blows

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I love Nolan's movies, and respect his craft even when I think the movie isn't my cup of tea (Dunkirk), so with that said TENET is a goddamn stinker and every one of his worst impulses cranked to 11 and poo poo onto the screen. I am sure that the story makes narrative sense on paper, and yes, the actors are acting their hearts out to try and make that poo poo work, but the actual cinematography decisions made for that movie are baffling and absurd. I felt like he was gaslighting me with that sound mixing until I realized that theaters were having to put up actual signs telling people that it wasn't the theater's fault that no one could understand the dialogue. His "two people sit in a static location to explain the plot" gimmick reached such comical levels that YouTube videos making fun of it are actually less complicated than the film itself (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2FXfFeRtJo). And the climax involves a series of gunfights where Nolan made the specific decision to never show the antagonists or who anyone was actually shooting at. It was such a bizarre movie, and I refuse to be convinced that I was just too dumb to understand it, because I rewound that fucker enough times to follow the plot, but the plot was just shite.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I remember reading an interview with Nolan after Interstellar came out where he was asked if the wormhole or whatever it was closed at the end and he said yes, which meant that Matt McConaughey’s character basically just jumped into a ship to commit suicide at the end and will never find Anne Hathaway, and some goon responded to a post about it I made saying that it was symbolic of the character’s hope and sense of adventure or something.

Nolan definitely forgot the ending to his own movie lol

(This was from years ago, very possible I got some details wrong here)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

I hate that everyone watches everything with caption in every tv. Fucks with my adhd and I can’t pay attention. I’m reading useless repeated info

Blows

Stick to watching your own tv

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

I remember reading an interview with Nolan after Interstellar came out where he was asked if the wormhole or whatever it was closed at the end and he said yes, which meant that Matt McConaughey’s character basically just jumped into a ship to commit suicide at the end and will never find Anne Hathaway, and some goon responded to a post about it I made saying that it was symbolic of the character’s hope and sense of adventure or something.

Nolan definitely forgot the ending to his own movie lol

(This was from years ago, very possible I got some details wrong here)

tbf forgetting about Anne Hathaway is a thing he does

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Thwomp posted:

Honestly, the first two sequels are very good upon rewatching them a few months ago.

It does help if you approaching them more as the story of Swan becoming a pirate queen. That story is sorta there and started in the first movie but it’s more of the c/d story.
My Irrationally Irritating moment from Pirates 3 is the payoff to that story where she does become the pirate queen and assembles this collection of other cool pirates and sails to face a giant flotilla of East India Company ships... and then a magic whirlpool prevents the naval battle and we get, essentially, three guys in a swordfight and then afterwards a magic pirate ship destroys one East India ship and everyone else goes home.

Where was my pirates vs. East India Company giant naval battle, movie? That's all that I wanted to see.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I only like the first POTC movie. They get really dumb after that. When On Stranger Tides came out I was overly charitable towards it because at least it wasn’t the same poo poo as the first two sequels. But I rewatched it a few months ago after a reread of the book and it was awful too.

With the last one Depp seems really out of it the entire time. His substance abuse issues must have been ramping up at the time. You can only shoot around that so much when it’s the main character. If they insist on doing any more they should really just reboot. Too much story baggage at this point and they’re well out of the Golden Age of Pirates at this point. Of course people might not go to see one with no Jack Sparrow in it.

As an aside I rewatched Cutthroat Island al last year. All the way through anyway. I tried to watch it again a long time ago and the terrible dialogue made me turn it off. If you can get past that there’s a pretty fun pirate movie underneath the problems.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Oh hell yeah

https://twitter.com/worldofreel/status/1743796147808797049

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

man i hope he really gives it to advertising