Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
This ad came across my facebook feed today and I can't expunge it from my brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

V-Men posted:

Tom Servo riffing the latest Axanar promo, presumably

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Tighclops posted:

To conservatives, Star Trek must look like a bunch of white dudes cruising through the universe in their living room while telling off random forehead aliens

And some it's the time they're right!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Kirk did recite the Pledge of Allegiance then admonish the aliens for not following the true Consitution

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Not only that, he interprets the Constitution to have a very broad application, including all peoples, even non-citizens.

He's not a filthy communist but you still have to treat others by the laws you write.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sash! posted:

Kirk did recite the Pledge of Allegiance then admonish the aliens for not following the true Consitution

Was that a result of a lost space probe or Dr. Contrivance's Law of Nazi Planet Development

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The Doctor strikes again!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Sash! posted:

For decades people have said Spock's Brain was the dumbest TOS episode but that one was the worst piece of crap ever conceived in the show's entirety.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

"they don't worship the sun, they worship the Son"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Feldegast42 posted:

"they don't worship the sun, they worship the Son"

Look, I can buy the Dr. Contrivance's Law of Nazi Planet Development thing.

I can buy that Rome endured with minor social changes but major technological changes

I can buy that the same social pressures and cultural mechanics gave rise to the same religious structures

I cannot buy that their soldiers are walking around in lorica segmentata after the invention of machine guns

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh no they just still wear that because they think it's sexy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Crazy that all his theories were discredited on the same day that the holodeck was invented tho

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Sash! posted:

Look, I can buy the Dr. Contrivance's Law of Nazi Planet Development thing.

I can buy that Rome endured with minor social changes but major technological changes

I can buy that the same social pressures and cultural mechanics gave rise to the same religious structures

I cannot buy that their soldiers are walking around in lorica segmentata after the invention of machine guns

Yeah not like there are any soldiers walking around in actual Rome these days in antique uniforms centuries after the invention of machine guns or anything

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

bennyfactor posted:

Yeah not like there are any soldiers walking around in actual Rome these days in antique uniforms centuries after the invention of machine guns or anything

Those uniforms are from 1914. They also have a non ceremonial blue uniform.

They're not wearing a 2200 year old set of armor that was already replaced in antiquity.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
DS9, "Children of Time": kind of awful all around! Shakaar gets booted due to Kira's backwards superstitions. Odo simps. The Defiant crew finds they're destined to crash 200 years in the past and find a no doubt horrifically incestuous colony. More and more of them start wanting to make it happen so that these people, who were never meant to exist, get to live! Creepy Oldo shows up to creep on Kira! He confesses his love and ruins the plan to have everyone get duplicated so they can condemn their duplicates to a life in isolation, forever away from friends and familt in this colony! Odo does not read the loving room and tells Kira he did this!

Christ

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

davidspackage posted:

DS9, "Children of Time": kind of awful all around! Shakaar gets booted due to Kira's backwards superstitions. Odo simps. The Defiant crew finds they're destined to crash 200 years in the past and find a no doubt horrifically incestuous colony. More and more of them start wanting to make it happen so that these people, who were never meant to exist, get to live! Creepy Oldo shows up to creep on Kira! He confesses his love and ruins the plan to have everyone get duplicated so they can condemn their duplicates to a life in isolation, forever away from friends and familt in this colony! Odo does not read the loving room and tells Kira he did this!

Christ

The Enterprise version of this was actually way better.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I never loved the Odo Kira stuff

Fighting Trousers posted:

Yeah. Also the Visitor is a similar theme and structure and is one of the best ST episodes ever. I read somewhere that Odo confessing his love was a late addition to the script. There are some interesting hooks in the rest of the episode, basically everything except the Odo-Kira stuff was pretty cool. A bunch of kids who suddenly meet their Klingon Jesus after following for their whole lives what ever weirdo version of bush'idQ Worf handed down to his descendants.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 5, 2024

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Sash! posted:

:lol:

Even when TOS is bad it kinda owns

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Sash! posted:

Those uniforms are from 1914. They also have a non ceremonial blue uniform.

They're not wearing a 2200 year old set of armor that was already replaced in antiquity.

Either this 1914 number you are citing is when the current pattern was decided on, or they reintroduced an old uniform that the definitely wore in the 1600s. All sorts of current militaries have honor guards and such that wear historic uniforms and some of them even carry current guns while wearing them, like in England. Of all the stupid things in that episode, the idea that maybe an ancient rome that still existed still put soldiers in an iconic uniform sometimes even though it's way outdated is hardly the worst of it.

The worst is the set of knobs that says "boos, hisses, catcalls" like we're suddenly watching an episode of Adam West's Batman.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Fighting Trousers posted:

Is that the one with the Archer brain worms, or something else?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Is that the one with the Archer brain worms, or something else?

You're thinking of Twilight. They're talking about E², where the NX-01 meets a version of itself that got thrown back in time like 200 years so they hung out in the Expanse and just inbred on the ship until they caught up with Enterprise in the present rather than pollute the timeline. So the tension of the episode is whether or not they're gonna repeat whatever threw Enterprise back in time to ensure that everyone from the timeloop gets to live, or make sure the accident doesn't happen so Archer and co can go on to save Earth from affiliation by the Xindi, and I think it's the captain of the timelost version of Enterprise who makes the call and sacrifices the ship so that Archer's NX-01 can stay in the present and continue the mission.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

bennyfactor posted:

Either this 1914 number you are citing is when the current pattern was decided on, or they reintroduced an old uniform that the definitely wore in the 1600s. All sorts of current militaries have honor guards and such that wear historic uniforms and some of them even carry current guns while wearing them, like in England. Of all the stupid things in that episode, the idea that maybe an ancient rome that still existed still put soldiers in an iconic uniform sometimes even though it's way outdated is hardly the worst of it.

The worst is the set of knobs that says "boos, hisses, catcalls" like we're suddenly watching an episode of Adam West's Batman.

Wat. The satire of tv is the best part of the episode. Spock is like “but what if we communicate with the enemy instead of fighting guys in costume in a fake arena for others’ entertainment?” And the producers are like “then you’ll gently caress up our rating and we’ll torture you to death.”

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Watched the rest of the last season of Lower Decks. I was not expecting *gestures wildly* all of that, but it was pretty neat and fun. Nice callbacks to TWOK in the finale as well.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

zoux posted:

I never loved the Odo Kira stuff

It never worked for me because Odo is a fascist and I doubt Kira would have had anything to do with him beyond "I work with this rear end in a top hat"

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 6, 2024

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Arivia posted:

Watched the rest of the last season of Lower Decks. I was not expecting *gestures wildly* all of that, but it was pretty neat and fun. Nice callbacks to TWOK in the finale as well.

I wish Paramount would quit jerking us around with the blu-ray. Retailer announcement went out for a Dec 19th release and then it....just didn't happen. I grabbed the first 3 seasons while ago (along with Prodigy's season 1) since I don't trust these networks to keep anything around, especially with Paramount circling the financial drain.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

V-Men posted:

Huh. Is that a Belknap-class?

zoux posted:

Was that a result of a lost space probe or Dr. Contrivance's Law of Nazi Planet Development

Hey now, the Nazi planet was due to a history professor deciding to try out his horribly wrong theories!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

bennyfactor posted:

It's a real thing for crowd reaction, even of live events, to be completely faked up by foley artists. It was even a minor scandal in Finland a couple of months ago when it came out that ALL of the sound of televised cross-country skiing events, from the ski swish to the crowd cheering to that cowbell that some random person was banging, ALL of it is faked up.

The modern Ancient Rome planet might not have had programmable MIDI keyboards, but they could certainly have tape loops of a given crowd reaction, which could be turned up and down in the mix to create any impression they want.

(I'll grant you that the labels are comically big, but they wanted the viewers to be able to read them even if they had a lovely TV and terrible static-filled reception.)

lukevictorious
Mar 31, 2019

this is the water

davidspackage posted:

Christ

Hell yeah I came to this thread just to discuss "Children of Time", and by discuss I mean the show should have gone hard and let Worf honor kill all the Sons of Mogh.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Sash! posted:

Never saw the episode but I mean if your going up against people who are using Phases and other stuff that can just vaporize pretty much anything bothering with Armour at all seems a bit useless in most cases.

Really most person to person fire fights should be over in seconds at most.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

lukevictorious posted:

Hell yeah I came to this thread just to discuss "Children of Time", and by discuss I mean the show should have gone hard and let Worf honor kill all the Sons of Mogh.

Especially if it's after the "time is their enemy" speech and they've finished the planting. He just shows up on the Defiant out of breath and covered in purple blood.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

It's time, having watched start to finish ,for my children to see all good things.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
The final episode of Season 2 of DS9, "The Jem'hadar," finally brings us into direct contact with agents of the Dominion for the first time.

Hell of a season finale. I enjoyed the scene with Quark tearing into Sisko about his own prejudices against the Ferengi, and how humans used to be much worse. I also appreciate his single-minded pursuit of profit being what ends up tipping him off that the entire ordeal was just a set up to try and plant a spy on the station.

RIP to the Odyssey and her crew.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Dysgenesis posted:

It's time, having watched start to finish ,for my children to see all good things.

Good you can finally get them started on Deep Space Nine

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

W.T. Fits posted:

RIP to the Odyssey and her crew.

I can't believe they blew up the enterprise! I'm going to send them a strongly worded letter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nominating "I cannot defeat this Klingon. All I can do is kill him" as the hardest loving line in any trek series

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Seconded

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Yeah I think about that a lot

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

zoux posted:

Nominating "I cannot defeat this Klingon. All I can do is kill him" as the hardest loving line in any trek series

Quote the whole thing!

"I yield. I cannot defeat this Klingon. All I can do is kill him, and that no longer holds my interest."

Worf jobs for the whole sequence of being captured but it's for a point other than showing how badass the threat of the week is. A welcome change of pace.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Admiralty Flag posted:

Quote the whole thing!

"I yield. I cannot defeat this Klingon. All I can do is kill him, and that no longer holds my interest."

Worf jobs for the whole sequence of being captured but it's for a point other than showing how badass the threat of the week is. A welcome change of pace.

Jobs? He wins every fight except for the last one, and that's likely only because the Jem Hadar were constantly throwing him into the ring. If he'd lost before that, he wouldn't have lasted to the boss fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

A.o.D. posted:

Jobs? He wins every fight except for the last one, and that's likely only because the Jem Hadar were constantly throwing him into the ring. If he'd lost before that, he wouldn't have lasted to the boss fight.

I stand corrected. I only remember him getting the poo poo beat out of him every time but forgot that he had to win to get there.