Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

So at least some mobo OEM's are releasing updated BIOS'es that also have that UEFI fix that addresses all those new super hosed attacks that got brought up a while back.

The Gigabyte one is still in beta but so far so good as far as I can tell for stability. Didn't do a thing to improve overclocking the RAM or anything but seems no worse as well. Dunno if it really plugs all those security holes though.

So when are are going to ban use of C and C++ globally? Insane amounts of absurdly hazardous security vulnerabilities are written with them every day, because the languages and their base concepts are thoroughly rotten to the core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ihmemies posted:

and their base concepts are thoroughly rotten to the core.

I’ve got some bad news about what all code ends up being in the end

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's going to take approximately forever to get rid of C and C++ but at least something is happening, rust has gained enough traction that microsoft is now rewriting security sensitive bits of windows using it, and it's Torvalds Approved for use in linux

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Cygni posted:

While I agree that power users will figure out the difference between the CPUs and the days of simple naming schemes arent coming back, the fact that the naming scheme is intentionally misleading and designed to bilk money out of the vast majority of laptop buyers who don't know the difference should still be called out. If we, the turbo dorks, don't call the Big 3 out on their scammy naming schemes, who will??

The vast majority of users don't go beyond "its an i5 :)" when buying a laptop, a smaller minority will get to "its a 2000 series i5", a teeny-tiny amount of people will get to "its a Sandy Bridge i5", and a laughably small amount of people will get to "here, lets look at the marketing decoder chart to see what CPU this really is before buying", and the Big 3 count on that when they do their naming. It sucks, call em out!

(obviously scammy naming isnt new in this industry, its almost an institution. but we will talk about things like the "5k86 PR120" later)

I worked with a guy who fancied himself a PC enthusiast that believed his Alienware laptop with one of the Nehalem architecture CPUs was still top of the line because it was "an i7."
Whether that speaks to him being full of himself, the naming scheme being confusing, or a combination of both I'll leave to y'all to decide.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

EU goons - any idea what might be behind the recent price hikes on the 7950X3D? I was initially thinking Christmas demand but it hasn't cooled off. I'm hoping that it goes back sub 600EUR in early Jan but perhaps there's other factors forcing it upwards for a while.

Other CPUs in the same generation don't seem to be affected by the recent changes. There's an Avatar bundle currently running until end December but I don't think that's causing it.

Houthis probably. A lot of stuff recently got rerouted from Suez canal to all the way around Africa. It's made a bunch of stuff more expensive

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ihmemies posted:

So when are are going to ban use of C and C++ globally? Insane amounts of absurdly hazardous security vulnerabilities are written with them every day, because the languages and their base concepts are thoroughly rotten to the core.

The idea that you can't write insecure code in Rust or whatever other FOTM language is laffo.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

that's right, better to wait for a hypothetical perfectly secure language rather than take any half measures

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Houthis probably. A lot of stuff recently got rerouted from Suez canal to all the way around Africa. It's made a bunch of stuff more expensive

Ah, the sex arses conundrum

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ihmemies posted:

https://twitter.com/memecrashes/status/1741206245313216982?t=sxMlC6oQe_rVM9YESS4Iqw&s=19

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Klyith posted:

The idea that you can't write insecure code in Rust or whatever other FOTM language is laffo.

You can definitely write insecure code in any language (I’ve done it!) but it turns out that most security bugs that people actually write, by a large margin, are memory safety issues, and they are a lot harder to write in memory-safe languages like Rust. Rust now has an automotive-and-so-forth safety-certified toolchain as well, which will help it see more use in critical applications.

I think it has progressed well past “FOTM” when stuff from
Cloudflare’s main HTTP proxy to production parts of Windows are written in it, but I suppose that’s a debate for another thread.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I wouldn’t care so much if the issues didn’t cause so much wasted effort. Old memory settings did not work with new logofail patched bios, and I had to spend a few hours readjusting and testing again.

All this because some guy didn’t bother to validate the input, and just blindly assumed the images will be of some nicely behaved dimensions. Directly accessing memory will end up with tons of more or less critical security issues every time it seems. So many of them just haven’t been found yet.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Cygni posted:

While I agree that power users will figure out the difference between the CPUs and the days of simple naming schemes arent coming back, the fact that the naming scheme is intentionally misleading and designed to bilk money out of the vast majority of laptop buyers who don't know the difference should still be called out. If we, the turbo dorks, don't call the Big 3 out on their scammy naming schemes, who will??

The vast majority of users don't go beyond "its an i5 :)" when buying a laptop, a smaller minority will get to "its a 2000 series i5", a teeny-tiny amount of people will get to "its a Sandy Bridge i5", and a laughably small amount of people will get to "here, lets look at the marketing decoder chart to see what CPU this really is before buying", and the Big 3 count on that when they do their naming. It sucks, call em out!

(obviously scammy naming isnt new in this industry, its almost an institution. but we will talk about things like the "5k86 PR120" later)

Yeah, I agree, we should call this out as being suboptimal. The only reason manufacturers ever do this kind of SKU renumbering is because they want consumers to think older tech isn't older tech, and to thereby be OK with buying it. It's not a new practice though, and unfortunately it's fairly common. I don't think that selling an 8840U which is a 100MHz faster 7840U is fundamentally any different than selling a 14900K which is just an overclocked/binned 13900K, and I think it's a hair less dishonest even than letting reviews go out for a GT1030 with GDDR5 and then quietly launching a DDR4 version.

I also feel like the harm caused by this kind of rebranding is pretty unclear. How many people actually see a 7520U next to a 7840U and think "the number at the front is the same, a 7520U is probably good enough" and how many of those people in turn actually have a use case for which the difference will be important?

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 2, 2024

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Eletriarnation posted:

I don't think that selling an 8840U which is a 100MHz faster 7840U
Quick pedantry note, the 8840U and 7840U have the exact same listed clocks across the board. The only known difference is that the 8840U will clock its NPU/AI block higher when its in use. Which is never.

quote:

I also feel like the harm caused by this kind of rebranding is pretty unclear. How many people actually see a 7520U next to a 7840U and think "the number at the front is the same, a 7520U is probably good enough" and how many of those people in turn actually have a use case for which the difference will be important?

Only The Brands will have the marketing research data on it obvi, but if you've ever participated in a shoppers focus group, youll know that the average person's purchasing decisions are based on basically zero information or research. That a consumer will see 8XXX and think its more than 7XXX is an absolute give-in, which is exactly why the Big 3 love them some rebrands. I would think this is especially true in the normie-dense mobile market. For boxed CPUs, there is a much higher assumed knowledge factor. There is a not insignificant information hill to climb to build a DIY computer... and wouldn't ya know it, AMD and Intel have been more reticent to play the rebrand game in that market, even going the length to run completely separate branding practices for the exact same silicon in the two different markets.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I think if you are literally buying based on nothing more than "the number at the front is higher" when actual specs and benchmarks are out there, you are doing the same thing as walking into a car dealership and asking the first person you see "Hey, what's hot right now?" and buying that. You are admitting with your actions that you don't really care about the fine details of the actual object you're buying, you just want to get sold something functional with a good story of "something new" and hey you're gonna get that so what's the harm?

If it's actually important to you that something have specific performance characteristics, then I absolutely think that the manufacturer must not lie about those characteristics or try to obfuscate them - but I don't think "well, if you check the decoder wheel then all this means is it's a 2024 model year instead of 2023" rises to that level. Someone who wants to play a particular game or run a professional workload can handle that, I think.

It would be easier to track what's actually going on if vendors didn't try to play games like this, but as long as the practice helps their OEM partners move machines to people who don't care to know more I do not know why it would change.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 3, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is AMD really going to be shipping product where only the left-most digit is moved up from a 7 to an 8, but all the rest of the digits (meaning the actual technical specifications) are the same?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Why not, the other numbers don't mean "is exactly the same".

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Eletriarnation posted:

I think if you are literally buying based on nothing more than "the number at the front is higher" when actual specs and benchmarks are out there, you are doing the same thing as walking into a car dealership and asking the first person you see "Hey, what's hot right now?" and buying that. You are admitting with your actions that you don't really care about the fine details of the actual object you're buying, you just want to get sold something functional with a good story of "something new" and hey you're gonna get that so what's the harm?

There are cars that literally no changes between some model years too. It’s clear what they’re trying to do, but if you’re going to just do model years then do model years?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

gradenko_2000 posted:

is AMD really going to be shipping product where only the left-most digit is moved up from a 7 to an 8, but all the rest of the digits (meaning the actual technical specifications) are the same?

Its just traditional, every vendor does it. Remember the Nvidia 8800 GT / 9800 GT?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

hobbesmaster posted:

There are cars that literally no changes between some model years too. It’s clear what they’re trying to do, but if you’re going to just do model years then do model years?

I kind of agree but suspect that if they actually started off trying to faithfully follow model years then you'd have an effect where uninformed consumers would not want to buy a model from the previous year, even if nothing newer had actually replaced it yet. This would lead vendors to fudge the model years as well, just like car manufacturers do:

quote:

The new model year typically begins in August to September of the preceding calendar year, though can be as early as February, such being the case for the fourth generation 2022 Acura MDX, which started production in January 2021. This was partly due to the advertising of a new model being coordinated with the launch of the new television season in late September, because of the heavy dependence between television to offer products from automakers to advertise, and the car companies to launch their new models at a high-profile time of year.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 3, 2024

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The number one thing a normie laptop buyer is looking at is price. I struggle to imagine the person who looks at a $800 laptop that says "7750U" and a $300 laptop that says "8320U" and imagines that the cheap one is better.

That was what made Intel's failure of a call-out so dumb: their imaginary consumer would do exactly that, but with an intel CPU in the expensive slot.

Basically the only place where it makes a real difference is when someone is comparing this year's $350 laptop versus last year's $450 laptop that's on sale for $75 off. That is the amount it matters. Yes, someone might make the wrong choice there and buy a 7320 when a 5500 is better. But it's really not a huge difference in performance. Nobody who would have been ok with a 5500 is gonna be shafted by a 7320.

And that's why OEMs asked AMD for this scheme. It works in marginal cases that help their margins.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You grossly, grossly underestimate how stupid the average person is and the extent to which they will convince themselves that they have found some magnificent deal.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

hobbesmaster posted:

It is very uncommon for cars to be straight carryover by model year with zero changes. Zero functional changes to you, the driver and owner of the car, sure. But changes to parts, changes to parts sources, and changes to manufacturing processes regularly occur that aren't visible to the end customer.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Americans didn't appreciate A&W's 1/3 pound burger because they thought it was smaller than the McDonald's 1/4 pounder. Bigger number = better.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

borkencode posted:

Americans didn't appreciate A&W's 1/3 pound burger because they thought it was smaller than the McDonald's 1/4 pounder. Bigger number = better.

They deserve to be failures since they didn't go with 5 ounce burger.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

K8.0 posted:

You grossly, grossly underestimate how stupid the average person is and the extent to which they will convince themselves that they have found some magnificent deal.

They aren’t stupid generally, they’re just ignorant.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

K8.0 posted:

Some people can't be helped and marketing is gonna exist whatever AMD's model numbers scheme is. Chip generation as lead number can *also* be exploited for marketing.

The internet is full of decent info and PC reviews written for average people. I really don't give a poo poo about the guy so stupid that he rolls coal in a V8 hemi and then complains about Biden raising gas prices.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

i think this partly comes down to OEM pressure
laptops are like loving cars now, you need a new year model every.. year, numbers *must* go up

except useful numbers like size of disk or ram, cpu perf, resolution, etc. those can stay too low just fine for some reason

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

borkencode posted:

Isn't this why Microsoft call their second generation console the Xbox 360 instead of Xbox 2? They felt consumers would think it was competing against the PlayStation 2 and be a generation behind the PlayStation 3?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Then they named the third Xbox the Xbox One.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they called it the xbox one because when you see it you turn 1 degree and walk away

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

They called it the Xbox Series because of all the game series not on it? Idk, need to workshop this one a bit more.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Branch Nvidian posted:

Then they named the third Xbox the Xbox One.

I’m convinced that someone in Microsoft was pushing hard for Windows One instead of Windows 10

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Truga posted:

i think this partly comes down to OEM pressure
laptops are like loving cars now, you need a new year model every.. year, numbers *must* go up

except useful numbers like size of disk or ram, cpu perf, resolution, etc. those can stay too low just fine for some reason

Apple will sell you an M3 Macbook Pro with 8GB of RAM. For $1800.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Branch Nvidian posted:

They called it the Xbox Series because of all the game series not on it? Idk, need to workshop this one a bit more.

Apple did this too. iPhone numbering jumped from 8 to 10, so not to be a number behind Samsung.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

OhFunny posted:

Apple did this too. iPhone numbering jumped from 8 to 10, so not to be a number behind Samsung.

I thought it was because naive software checks for "iPhone 9x" would think it was running on iPhone '95.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

OhFunny posted:

Not that the general public seemed to notice, since I've never met anyone in the wild that didn't call it the iPhone "Ecks," or the subsequent models the Ecks-R or Ecks-S.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Threadrippers 7XXX have appeared at retailers (Canada). Motherboards ... a little bit less so. There are a few (saw ASRock and ASUS), but usually out of stock. Thank you for keeping money in my wallet.

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023
My store got the motherboards for Threadripper 7000 in stock like, last week or so?

Only the TRX50 chipset tho, no WRX90 so far.

We've had the Threadrippers 7000 in stock since the release date, along with G.Skill 6400mhz ECC Quad ram (same SKU that AMD sent out to reviewers I believe)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The leaked weirdo Zen3 parts are real. Speed summaries:

5700X3D - Same core count, cache, TDP, everything as 5800X3D... but with a 4.1 turbo instead of 4.5. Considering you can't adjust that in the bios for the Zen3 X3D parts, that may actually matter in some games. MSRP is $249 vs the 5800X3Ds $340 current price, so a strong value choice for those that already have an AM4 board and want to keep truckin.

5600GT - They heard someone out there likes Cezanne so they got you more Cezanne? Same core count, cache, memory support, iGPU etc as the 5600G, but this time we have lower base clocks and very slightly higher boost clocks. We also dont know if the iGPU has different clocks this time, but its the same TDP so prolly not. It is the same MSRP as the 5600G ($140), so uh... ok.

5500GT - It is a 5600G with a 300mhz lower base clock... but the same boost clocks? ?? $125.

Both these parts are clearly targeted at Asia where floods of dirt cheap AM4 boards and DDR4 are available. In the US, they likely don't make much price sense unless you are assembling old parts for a kids computer. If you are building from new in the states, the new Zen4 APUs are a better choice.

e: also remember that Vega graphics support is ending from AMD, and these new APUs are Vega based... yes. i know.

As for the "why do these exist" question, it exists because AMD is producing it in a factory and selling them, let me know if u have further questions

Cygni fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Was this from the “AI PC event” or whatever

The only really new news with all this is some manufactures are adding a “copilot” key to keyboards lol