Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I haven't read the Reacher books but I have listened to several I Don't Even Own a Television episodes covering them and I can confidently say that whoever is cast for Jack Reacher will never have large enough hands. They will need to CGI in his big meaty hands in order to do the books justice.

See you'd think that and then in the first season of Reacher he's handed a Desert Eagle and it looks like a toy in his hands. The dude is firing it one handed and I absolutely did not have to suspend my disbelief. The dude is HUGE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FFT posted:

Not to anyone but the audience or those within a few yards, mind.

AVENGERS!!
assemble

The callback to that brief moment in uh Avengers 2 where Cap managed to wobble Mjolnir was way more impactful imo but I'm all-in for Comedic Thor.

I don't even know what you're referring to unless it's "it's clobberin' time!" or "flame on!"

Do the F4 even have a collective catchphrase?

My Marvel character knowledge is very sparse. I'm more familiar with animated series vs comics but I don't get the feeling they've really done anything in line with that for anyone but Spider-Man, Hulk, and that's about it? Maybe it's just that I don't know Black Panther, GotG or Captain Marvel that well but I don't think they had any lines that're very well known from their comics?

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 09:12 on Jan 6, 2024

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Obviously you have forgotten all the times that reed has yelled out "I blinded you, with science!"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fil5000 posted:

See you'd think that and then in the first season of Reacher he's handed a Desert Eagle and it looks like a toy in his hands. The dude is firing it one handed and I absolutely did not have to suspend my disbelief. The dude is HUGE.

It is awesome how effortlessly Alan Ritchson portrays Reacher the character unironically as intended, and it's great instead of lame. It could have been so stiff and wooden but he's got charisma and a kind of menacing aura. And also at one point he headbutts someone else's pitiful fist and breaks it

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I only saw the second (2005) Fantastic Four movie on DVD so probably somewhere around 2006 or 2007? No prior Fantastic Four knowledge and I haven't seen either of the bad sequels or Multiverse of Madness so I've got nothing to compare him against.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

dr_rat posted:

Oh god this. I'm so sick of movies that are just filled with generic good looking hollywood actor types and it's really hard to tell who's who, and everyone looks boring as hell. People in real life often have interesting faces not boring generic hollywood ones.

Hollywood producers you suck.

Haha I watched American Assassin last night, for over half the movie I legitmately thought the protagonist and the antagonist were the same person.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CJacobs posted:

It is awesome how effortlessly Alan Ritchson portrays Reacher the character unironically as intended, and it's great instead of lame. It could have been so stiff and wooden but he's got charisma and a kind of menacing aura. And also at one point he headbutts someone else's pitiful fist and breaks it

I think that's probably careful casting because you absolutely need someone who can make the character work to make the premise not laughable.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think that's probably careful casting because you absolutely need someone who can make the character work to make the premise not laughable.
I think another thing that makes season 1 work so well on Prime is that you have two other main characters who aren't in awe of Reacher the whole time and honestly seem kind of irritated by his Reacher-ness while still appreciating that it helps them that this weird guy is willing to randomly slaughter four people in a house and explode a warehouse or two in the name of justice.

The second season, from what I've seen so far, lacks the 'normal people having reasonable reactions to this giant murderer' energy and it is very much worse for it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Season 2 is great and people just like bitching about things.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I don't know if this has ever been discussed before given it is now 8 years old, but after 48 years and countless movies, I have never been so let down by a horror/thriller movie so badly as the last ~10 minutes of A Dark Song. I watched it last night and was really into it up to that point.

You have this movie with an unsettling tone throughout and then in the last few minutes there's a 20' tall, cartoonish CGI roman gladiator-looking guy who is kneeling and doubled over to fit within the confines of the house that appears to have elephantiasis of the head and while his mouth moves, nothing is said. Evidently, this was the woman's guardian angel who was granted by completing the ritual performed throughout the movie but the CGI was so bad I went from "I quite like this" to "wtf is this poo poo" real quick.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kirk Vikernes posted:

I don't know if this has ever been discussed before given it is now 8 years old, but after 48 years and countless movies, I have never been so let down by a horror/thriller movie so badly as the last ~10 minutes of A Dark Song. I watched it last night and was really into it up to that point.

You have this movie with an unsettling tone throughout and then in the last few minutes there's a 20' tall, cartoonish CGI roman gladiator-looking guy who is kneeling and doubled over to fit within the confines of the house that appears to have elephantiasis of the head and while his mouth moves, nothing is said. Evidently, this was the woman's guardian angel who was granted by completing the ritual performed throughout the movie but the CGI was so bad I went from "I quite like this" to "wtf is this poo poo" real quick.

It's not CGI, that was a real angel. That's just how they look. Be not afraid.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Nah I've seen real Angels. They just look like people in dollar store angel costume outfits.

Heavens cheap and people back in biblical times were just much more easily wowed I guess?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

dr_rat posted:

Nah I've seen real Angels. They just look like people in dollar store angel costume outfits.

Heavens cheap and people back in biblical times were just much more easily wowed I guess?

There's more than one kind of angel, okay? For example wikipedia has this Orthodox icon of nine orders of angels.

The art styles back then didn't have the ability to show the true glory of the dollar store angels and bad CGI angels, but they're in there.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I mean, obviously keeping white regal robes spotless in the desert requires some sort of miracle.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

I only saw the second (2005) Fantastic Four movie on DVD so probably somewhere around 2006 or 2007? No prior Fantastic Four knowledge and I haven't seen either of the bad sequels or Multiverse of Madness so I've got nothing to compare him against.

best FF movie is still The Incredibles.

I don't understand why such a simple premise of the FF otherwise is so hard to do well. but then again, I said the same thing about the xeno Alien and Predator franchises, and here we are with more bad movies than good.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Finally saw the "new" dark universe The Mummy movie

It's... bad. Such a worse movie in literally every way compared to the prior version

The most IIMM thing though was the whole series pilot feel to it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cowslips Warren posted:

I don't understand why such a simple premise of the FF otherwise is so hard to do well. but then again, I said the same thing about the xeno Alien and Predator franchises, and here we are with more bad movies than good.

the best way to do FF would be as a tv series without an origin story. just give us this group of four people and have them go on wacky science adventures

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Len posted:

the best way to do FF would be as a tv series without an origin story. just give us this group of four people and have them go on wacky science adventures a pointless serialized plot which is supposed to be resolved in another piece of media but gets abandoned or forgotten about

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Len posted:

the best way to do FF would be as a tv series without an origin story. just give us this group of four people and have them go on wacky science adventures

I feel like they would need some sort of adorable pet for this format to really work.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

It's not that complicated, all the movies so far (minus the sequel which was lovely for other reasons) were trying to do their whole origin and a whole origin for Doctor Doom and tie all that together because that's how some successful movies in the past had done it (it was Joker that killed Batman's parents!), along with that same mentality of "we better wrap this up because we may not get a sequel." If they stick to just the FF origin and an easy lower stakes villain with no connection like Mole Man, it'll be fine.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

CJacobs posted:

The Reacher movie is a travesty. The Reacher Amazon show is awesome schlock. It properly represents the story pace and character really well.
I love how Reacher is consistently described as extremely large and the movie version chose Tom Cruise. The Amazon show is both better and more believable. The show also spends the right amount of time with him eating other people’s food and buying clothes at a gas station.

edit: also the running pie joke in season 1 was very on-brand

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 03:22 on Jan 7, 2024

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’m ok with another FF movie with another Dr Doom as long as they stay to his character

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

theironjef posted:

It's not that complicated, all the movies so far (minus the sequel which was lovely for other reasons) were trying to do their whole origin and a whole origin for Doctor Doom and tie all that together because that's how some successful movies in the past had done it (it was Joker that killed Batman's parents!), along with that same mentality of "we better wrap this up because we may not get a sequel." If they stick to just the FF origin and an easy lower stakes villain with no connection like Mole Man, it'll be fine.

Stephen Root as Mole Man. I'm irrationally irritated it hasn't been done yet.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

maybeadracula posted:

It's... bad. Such a worse movie in literally every way compared to the prior version

The only good part was when they rescued him from the mummy and mention she didn't get the gemstone and he was like :stare: Yea she was REAL mad about that...

I dunno if it was him playing against type or what but that hit my giggle button.

The rest was basically just a fever dream because of the massive amount of mercury fumes everyone inhaled by being around literal tons of it with no form of safety equipment.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

I just watched The Golem, a horror thriller movie about a village of Latvian Jews summoning a monster to protect them from invaders. Except the village is very generic and the big monster in the promo shots doesn't show up except in the five seconds intro. They even tease that the kid monster can evolve into the big monster and then they just don't. Also the invaders decide to kill the whole village because the bad guy lost his daughter but the hero is forgiven and sympathetic after she kills the whole village as a result of losing her son. I think. It was not a great movie.

BigHead has a new favorite as of 07:47 on Jan 7, 2024

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

It's pretty simple, the FF are largely defined by their family dynamic and that's not something that action movie execs are interested in. The Incredibles was made as a family movie so it had no issues with that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

the holy poopacy posted:

It's pretty simple, the FF are largely defined by their family dynamic and that's not something that action movie execs are interested in. The Incredibles was made as a family movie so it had no issues with that.

The other issue with an FF movie is that you need to make Reed Richards likeable when he's by definition a massively arrogant prick who canonically is only not evil because Sue loves him.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Any time a movie has a computer declare "nope, [thing] is impossible" and then they go ahead and do it without incident. The big one was in one of the Iron Man movies (creating a new element or something?) but I just watched the drama 1000 Days in Space and the computer happily calculates that it's impossible to return to Earth in the Soyuz capsule. Outside of one shot of the person frustratedly trying to run the numbers it's never mentioned again, and then, what do you know, the astronauts figure out a solution on what amounts to Post-It notes and a whiteboard.

It just adds useless drama the emotional impact from which is immediately undone by its effortless resolution.

Anyway, I'll have a baconator and two fries.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jedit posted:

The other issue with an FF movie is that you need to make Reed Richards likeable when he's by definition a massively arrogant prick who canonically is only not evil because Sue loves him.

Weirdly enough I feel like the character you could use as a taking off point is Woody from Toy Story, an egotistical prick whose saving grace is having loved ones he genuinely cares about.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Weirdly enough I feel like the character you could use as a taking off point is Woody from Toy Story, an egotistical prick whose saving grace is having loved ones he genuinely cares about.

Man, correctly aged Hanks would have been a fun Reed Richards.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

poo poo, you're not wrong.

Also one episode brought up that Rick Sanchez ultimately is based a lot more on Reed Richards, the whole Council of Ricks plot is literally taken straight from the F4 comics.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

maybeadracula posted:

What I found most annoying is that Russell Crowe's character talks down to Tom Cruise's character because he's younger.

Tom Cruise is ~2 years older than Russell Crowe.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

FreshFeesh posted:

Any time a movie has a computer declare "nope, [thing] is impossible" and then they go ahead and do it without incident. The big one was in one of the Iron Man movies (creating a new element or something?) but I just watched the drama 1000 Days in Space and the computer happily calculates that it's impossible to return to Earth in the Soyuz capsule. Outside of one shot of the person frustratedly trying to run the numbers it's never mentioned again, and then, what do you know, the astronauts figure out a solution on what amounts to Post-It notes and a whiteboard.

It just adds useless drama the emotional impact from which is immediately undone by its effortless resolution.

This reminded me of the eighties with “We put the information into the computer and got these results” and it could be loving anything.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

the holy poopacy posted:

One of the struggles with making FF movies is that while the characters of Ben Grimm and Johnny Storm basically translate without any alterations from 1960s comic to modern cinema without much alteration (though a lot of adaptations want to make Ben kind of dumb cause big guys in movies are kind of dumb) Reed and Sue are a challenge.

Sue, in the original comics, loving sucks. She's not a good character, she's not interesting and she doesn't have a lot going on with her superhero powers for a long while. Later comics largely fix this but putting fixed Sue into FF Origin comics messes up the character balance and changes the initial relationships and conflicts quite a bit.

Origin Story Reed, on the other hand, just doesn't exist in modern media. He's not a nerd, he's not socially awkward or insecure about his ideas challenging established science basically on every page; he's a Science Pulp Hero more akin to Doc Savage or, from this page, Jack Reacher than Peter Parker or Tony Stark. Like his nemesis Dr. Doom, he's literally the best at everything and that's why he's the leader of the FF who launches them on their thought to be impossible mission that gives them all superpowers.

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo

FreshFeesh posted:

When it's stuff like "Will this make this new element?" and the computer goes "no, that's not a real element" I'm fine with it because humans program computers to know stuff so the computer isn't gonna be able to do the leap needed for something like that. If it's "no it's impossible" and the humans do the exact thing that was impossible and just make it work somehow then yeah it's bullshit.

At least with Iron Man you can quickly show him reprogramming the A.I. or whatever to understand what the new element is because he's a genius playboy philanthropist bing bang bom so easy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FFT posted:

What I found most annoying is that Russell Crowe's character talks down to Tom Cruise's character because he's younger.

Tom Cruise is ~2 years older than Russell Crowe.

The funniest actor age thing is in Morbius where there's a flashback to 20 years before (IIRC it explicitly says 20 years) with Morbius as a little kid. Except 20 years ago Jared Leto was a grown rear end man. Motherfucker is in his 50s.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

FreshFeesh posted:

"Hyperspace skipping? Hyperspace skipping is impossible! Even if hyperspace skipping was possible the Millennium Falcon could never hyperspace skip!"

The Millennium Falcon immediately proceeds to hyperspace skip about 540 times.

e:

muscles like this! posted:

The funniest actor age thing is in Morbius where there's a flashback to 20 years before (IIRC it explicitly says 20 years) with Morbius as a little kid. Except 20 years ago Jared Leto was a grown rear end man. Motherfucker is in his 50s.

Legit question here - how was Morbius? The only reviews and opinions I've seen of the movie were all tainted by internet memelord bullshit.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 15:37 on Jan 7, 2024

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Megillah Gorilla posted:

"Hyperspace skipping? Hyperspace skipping is impossible! Even if hyperspace skipping was possible the Millennium Falcon could never hyperspace skip!"

The Millennium Falcon immediately proceeds to hyperspace skip about 540 times.

e:

Legit question here - how was Morbius? The only reviews and opinions I've seen of the movie were all tainted by internet memelord bullshit.

I say this not as Internet meme lord bullshit but the ending of Morbius is Michael Keaton as the Vulture finding Morbius and saying they should team up. That is indicative of the quality of the movie as a whole. If you've seen the scene with Matt Smith dancing about and occasionally making a monster face then you've seen the best of it, and if you haven't it's on YouTube.

Seriously this movie went back into theatres after endless memery and it STILL tanked, it's real bad.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's not good but it's not utterly terrible either like you might think

Hating it is more a meme than a reality

I actually kind of like some of the effects

Flash-tier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Illegal Hen
Hot take: Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer had a decent plot line where Reed felt so bad about getting the rest of his friends in the mess that is their origin story that he builds a machine to try to remove their super powers (with humorous results).

It maddens me that the Fantastic Four archetypes should translate if done well.

gently caress it, let's use another foursome group with a working dynamic and map them accordingly using… the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles:

Reed is Leonardo. The natural leader. Sometimes his arrogance means he doesn't listen to the others.

Sue is Donatello. Actually the smartest, but introverted and doesn't like drawing attention to themselves.

Ben is Raphael. Pretty emotional, thinks it's him vs. the world. Deep down though he still cares for his family I will fight those that wish them harm.

Johnny is Michelangelo. Party dude, free spirited. Gets into antics sometimes because it would get a laugh from the others (like Ben).