Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Rene you’re wanted for attempted murder and parole violations, you have some of the royalty money from the scam presumably, just get out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 2/10/52

Archie 3/10-12/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 11/1-3/76

Bonus Headline!

Yep, in 1976, after the deaths of Howard Hughes, J. Paul Getty, and H. L. Hunt, there were only two billionaires left in the country.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Murdstone posted:

Andertoons

:allears: I love Andertoons

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Selachian posted:

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 11/1-3/76

Winthrop? They're doing a crossover with Trading Places?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I like the exclamation point on the text box. Hey, guys, look who it is! Rene Belluso!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Hwurmp posted:

Gee Whillikers, Rex! Your arch-nemesis might...key your car, or troll you on Facebook

Rene's got kidnapping, threatening with a firearm and attempted murder under his belt so he's had a real glow up in the last year. For uh, criminality in Rex Morgan!

I appreciate that not even two strips after I gave Mark Trail a bit of praise Jules immediately submitted this lazy first draft sketch. At this point I know it's coming every time but shucks, once you give up on hope what have you got left? Maybe somebody could teach Jules how producing a backlog works.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

I'd say I'm gonna barf when he bonds with his Difficult Child with the power of guitar, but I don't want to puke that badly.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Haifisch posted:

I'd say I'm gonna barf when he bonds with his Difficult Child with the power of guitar, but I don't want to puke that badly.

He's going to actually be a really good guitarist and will win her over with the power of "Share The Land" by The Guess Who. They'll cry, they'll hug, and she'll stop hating cops.

John Allison posted:

This story is what we in the "comics game" call "filler".

Goblins are easier to draw than people. If I was being absolutely honest with you, the reader, with some minor adjustments I could have drawn this whole thing with Shelley and Amy, and I would not have received emails from people who said they "don't get it".

When I was young, there was a desperation not to seem that you didn't know something. Now there is a willing coalition of people admitting that they don't understand things. What happened to good old fashioned shame?

The internet is a place where a man can parade in a gold lamé bodystocking - in my day gold lamé was kept firmly behind closed doors. So I blame the internet. And TV. And "rapping music". And "hippity hop".

But I listen to feedback, and as a result I scrapped a seven-week story about a couple of elves on a golfing weekend.

So, this wasn't a very popular story with the unashamed, but I think it's a pretty good one. There are more ideas in most of these strips than I managed in a week of material in the late 1990s.

Some readers asked if the character of "The Wogun" was related in anyway to broadcasting legend Terry Wogan, mainstay of TV and radio for my entire life. And the answer is, of course not. While The Wogun and Terry Wogan do share an Irish heritage, a hairstyle, a career in broadcasting and a robust and cheerful worldview, The Wogun is green and three feet tall. Terry Wogan is six feet tall and pink.

Other readers asked if the pixie receptionist working at Goblin RTE was [qpoiler]Natalie Durand (see "Count My Toes")[/spoiler]. And I think it probably is!

"Crock of Gold" has lessons for all of us. Admittedly, not easy lessons to decipher. But if you don't come away from this story a little wiser, then I've failed both of us.

Scary Go Round (January 3-5, 2004)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
No big post tonight, but let's get to the end of Mousetrapped week one (which is going to be a Monday-Friday thing, at least in the short term).

(Randy's notes. The executive summary: Pete the Pup is a silent-era Walter Lantz character. He's being used here because Mickey's "proper" friends are still under protective custody in California for the next few years.)

For what it's worth, a writeup of this series showed up in an animation history Facebook group, and after a full week of news of multiple projects with some form of horror movie Mickey, the reaction was a deep sense of relief.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

what in the gently caress is rene doing still being in town.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

EasyEW posted:

No big post tonight, but let's get to the end of Mousetrapped week one (which is going to be a Monday-Friday thing, at least in the short term).

(Randy's notes. The executive summary: Pete the Pup is a silent-era Walter Lantz character. He's being used here because Mickey's "proper" friends are still under protective custody in California for the next few years.)

For what it's worth, a writeup of this series showed up in an animation history Facebook group, and after a full week of news of multiple projects with some form of horror movie Mickey, the reaction was a deep sense of relief.

Is really that hard to creat something new instead of ripping off old garbage?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Crab Dad posted:

Is really that hard to creat something new instead of ripping off old garbage?

this is the thread for comic strips

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

most of the characters in these comics were created before your parents were born :v

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

most of the characters in these comics were created before your parents were born :v

so was randy milholland but we aren't complaining

other than all the people who are

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

hexwren posted:

wait are we Calvin derailing again because of the same guy as last time???

How is talking about a comic strip in the comic strips thread a derail? Is there someplace better if I wanna discuss it?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you were talking about lovely fanfic of a comic strip

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

goatface posted:

Does baseball not have any dead ball rules? If the guy is leaking out of a cracked skull the play just continues?

the rules of baseball are a series of interlocking if/then statements and it is a mistake to try and understand them

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

goatface posted:

Does baseball not have any dead ball rules? If the guy is leaking out of a cracked skull the play just continues?

The play goes to conclusion and then the umpire halts the game for the medical emergency. Sometimes players may stop on their own out of respect (aka, stop at first and not go for a double when the pitcher is dying on the mound), but the rule is that the play closes out and then everyone deals with the injury.

This apparently happens often enough that, when I went back to look for video of the game I went to in 2000 where the pitcher's career was basically ended by a skull-cracking line drive (Bryce Florie), I had to scroll through like eight other more recent ones. In every video I checked, they finished out the play first. The one for 2000 matched my memory, also; play concluded and then everyone ran to the mound.

The only real dead-ball rules aren't safety-related, but things like the infield fly rule or ground-rule double rules, interference, etc.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 7, 2024

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sundae posted:

The play goes to conclusion and then the umpire halts the game for the medical emergency. Sometimes players may stop on their own out of respect (aka, stop at first and not go for a double when the pitcher is dying on the mound), but the rule is that the play closes out and then everyone deals with the injury.

This apparently happens often enough that, when I went back to look for video of the game I went to in 2000 where the pitcher's career was basically ended by a skull-cracking line drive (Bryce Florie), I had to scroll through like eight other more recent ones. In every video I checked, they finished out the play first. The one for 2000 matched my memory, also; play concluded and then everyone ran to the mound.

The only real dead-ball rules aren't safety-related, but things like the infield fly rule or ground-rule double rules, interference, etc.

hitting a pigeon with a pitch

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The manager training a pigeon for years to fly into Copper Ma's bat as he swings; even the wildlife seek to own me, he thinks

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

if only Rene had waited one more day to skip town the lawsuit would be settled and he could make an honest living as a legal con man doing the seminars

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Elsewhere literally right next to the comics page: I dunno, how ultimate could this even be...

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Aaand she's gone. Maggie has left the building.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Correction: can't wait for the happy end to Demons where Maggie and Planck are wrapped up in a couple's double-sized straightjacket, laughing in a romantic padded room

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

davidspackage posted:

Correction: can't wait for the happy end to Demons where Maggie and Planck are wrapped up in a couple's double-sized straightjacket, laughing in a romantic padded room

Also, the real fun part's coming up - is Copper going to blow the game in return because he can't stand Planck handing the game over on a silver platter?

You know - 'I still haven't beat him, he let me win'?

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 03, 2002)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Zippy The Pinhead

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

EasyEW posted:

Calling Mickey Mouse "Mick" just reminds me of this Achewood.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Hwurmp posted:

you were talking about lovely fanfic of a comic strip

I wasn't even talking about that anymore, I was talking about an actual aspect of the comic

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(9/17/1993)

(9/18/1993)

Ziggy

(6/30/1971)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/6/04

Brenda Starr 5/22-24/52

Smokey Stover 1/18/59

Everyday Movies 2/13/37

"I could really enjoy myself if I thought your father was keeping the apartment tidy."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 11/14-16/42

Nitpicking your wife's makeup skills? Not helping, Ott.

Now wait a moment, how does the butler know this?

Closer Than We Think! 1/18/59

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 5/22-24/52

Well at least at the flagrant spending is to give some quality of life to friends and family

quote:

Closer Than We Think! 1/18/59

Car-Brain really is a hell of a thing. Personal aircraft for grandma! Even and especially if she can’t qualify to drive!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Grandma's hoverplane was shot down over the Outback Steakhouse. It spun in. There were no survivors.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I just want to say that Josh is very far past the point where I care if he's technically in the right about his ultimate fate later, or respecting him for being happy being a corporate yes-man. Just throw him in a wood chipper already if the most important thing in his workday is making sure the abused worker can be tricked into more abuse somehow.

Jucika "486 - Jucika As An Extra"

"487 - Jucika And First Aid"

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Fire is too good for Josh now. Lather him with honey and throw him into a nest of fire ants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

He’s still holding the ball. Does that mean he caught it & they’re all out? So the runs will be nullified?