Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Entropic posted:

I thought of that but if they're stuck in the barrel it's a closed system...

If they're breathing, it ain't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I started basically the first major dungeon of this game (the goblin camp) by whacking the goblin priestess on her lonesome, and eventually a full slugfest to take out the other two leaders. Eventually basically everyone was dead, except for two aggro'd spiders on the bottom floor. The spiders can't be reached, and my party is completely depleted so they will probably die trying to take out two 30 HP spiders anyway, but they prevent the fight from ending. Trying to flee combat only works for one party member at a time for some reason, and Halsin can't flee at all because he's a follower and I'm afraid he'll die if he's left in the encounter, making the whole thing moot. Is there anyway out of this? I really don't want to start the fight over :(

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Maybe nonlethal knock out Halsin? Make sure you do it with melee and not spells or ranged attacks

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

mycot posted:

I started basically the first major dungeon of this game (the goblin camp) by whacking the goblin priestess on her lonesome, and eventually a full slugfest to take out the other two leaders. Eventually basically everyone was dead, except for two aggro'd spiders on the bottom floor. The spiders can't be reached, and my party is completely depleted so they will probably die trying to take out two 30 HP spiders anyway, but they prevent the fight from ending. Trying to flee combat only works for one party member at a time for some reason, and Halsin can't flee at all because he's a follower and I'm afraid he'll die if he's left in the encounter, making the whole thing moot. Is there anyway out of this? I really don't want to start the fight over :(

Maybe go around picking up furniture and barrels and loose weapons and poo poo and throw them at the spiders from the top of the pit? You might also be able to throw alchemist's fire or something at the gate leading into their area if that's where they're hanging out. Thrown stuff seems to get much better range from high ground, compared to ranged weaponry and spells.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh God I finally resolved it by forcing every party member to go to camp individually and dragging Halsin far enough that he wasn't considered "in danger", which made every quest update at the same time. Weird.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

unattended spaghetti posted:

What is it about BG3 that inspires nerds to act so arrogant? I swear I've seen more people's intelligence insulted around this one specific game than I have anywhere else. Lol

20 years of retail work has taught me exactly how intelligent the average person is. it’s really quite life changing when that particular veil gets lifted.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

20 years of retail work has taught me exactly how intelligent the average person is. it’s really quite life changing when that particular veil gets lifted.

*comic book shop guy voice*

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

What is it about BG3 that inspires nerds to act so arrogant? I swear I've seen more people's intelligence insulted around this one specific game than I have anywhere else. Lol

idk but I've never seen a fanbase so neurotic over the most banal poo poo. I'm in a fb group and people get into full blown fights about how you're supporting toxic behaviors if you find astarian hot and how if you don't want to bang shart first you're literally wrong and must be gay (or straight, whichever applies)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's because it's so popular that more people are talking about it. People are just like this about everything and you usually don't see so much of that concentrated on one game because it's rare for a videogame to have a true pop monocultural moment across a wide enough demographic, at least in Europe and America, to notice.

On that note,

Tonetta posted:

idk but I've never seen a fanbase so neurotic over the most banal poo poo. I'm in a fb group and people get into full blown fights about how you're supporting toxic behaviors if you find astarian hot and how if you don't want to bang shart first you're literally wrong and must be gay (or straight, whichever applies)

Bet you a lot of this kind of discourse would normally be scattered across dozens of different fandoms all being about as crazy about their own niche things, but this game just kind of got everyone's attentions focused onto one place so they can all be terrible about it instead, at least for a while.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Tonetta posted:

people are hosed (and deeply ignorant). Anyone who pays any attention at all to the text can see that Astarion is an abuse victim who needs help. It’s really gross that mod sites have to kick off bigoted scumbags that try and erase trans and lgtbt people from the game, someone even tried to put out a mod to remove all the PoC from the game and make Wyll white. it’s like this game kicked over a great big incel nest. I’m super proud the broader community is taking a stand against this poo poo though.

It’s also really really disgusting that every time I try and watch a youtube clip of the game to see other dialogue options and things that I’ve missed invariably the person who recorded the clip has shadowheart walking around in her underwear.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Shadowheart underwear is about what I expect from the internet, I’d be somewhat shocked if the BG3 meme videos did NOT have the entire cast walking around in their lingerie all the time.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

That’s happening elsewhere though. Crusader Kings 3 had a “gay people don’t exist in this world” mod that had to get yanked out

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
This game is so aggressively and deliberately against the white straight man fantasy that I'm pretty sure anyone making those anti-diversity mods are doing it out of sheer spite.

Tonetta posted:

Imagine how bad the "how dare you romance/not romance X" posting would be if there was a gnome/dwarf/halfling party member.

mycot fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 7, 2024

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

There's a modder out there hellbent on putting every character and NPC in a fursuit. It's only a matter of when, not if.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

mycot posted:

This game is so aggressively and deliberately against the white straight man fantasy that I'm pretty sure anyone making those anti-diversity mods are doing it out of sheer spite.

it's a more broadly pervasive attitude since that kind of inclusivity has become the norm rather than the exception in modern gaming. some segments of the internet were absolutely losing their poo poo when SF6 let you choose your pronouns and had a seemingly nonbinary black host character in the battle hub

you really just have to whack 'em with a newspaper until they scamper off, and i'm glad sites like nexusmods aren't tolerating bullshit

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Someone mentioned that there's a baldurian greatsword you can get early in act 3

What...exactly am I supposed to do to "get it early" unless I'm missing some hidden cheat, cause this thing's level 17

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I romanced Astern for the first time and after I pressured him to drink blood for the permanent strength increase potion in Moonrise he broke up with me. Unexpected, but honestly, deserved.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Vermain posted:

it's a more broadly pervasive attitude since that kind of inclusivity has become the norm rather than the exception in modern gaming. some segments of the internet were absolutely losing their poo poo when SF6 let you choose your pronouns and had a seemingly nonbinary black host character in the battle hub

you really just have to whack 'em with a newspaper until they scamper off, and i'm glad sites like nexusmods aren't tolerating bullshit

The word "pronouns" is chud flypaper. Break it out and wait for them to stick themselves to it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Tae posted:

Someone mentioned that there's a baldurian greatsword you can get early in act 3

What...exactly am I supposed to do to "get it early" unless I'm missing some hidden cheat, cause this thing's level 17

The thing that gets you the sword is sufficiently well hidden that you probably wouldn’t come across it without being prompted by the game, but if you already know about it, there’s nothing stopping you from getting it as soon as you get to Wyrm’s rock. (I’d go shopping first, there’s a ton of great gear you can just straight up buy as soon as you hit the city, or stuff you can quickly get from a short quest line (larroakan).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I romanced Astern for the first time and after I pressured him to drink blood for the permanent strength increase potion in Moonrise he broke up with me. Unexpected, but honestly, deserved.

There is a dialogue option you can pick in that convo which will prevent that from happening.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

The Lord Bude posted:

The thing that gets you the sword is sufficiently well hidden that you probably wouldn’t come across it without being prompted by the game, but if you already know about it, there’s nothing stopping you from getting it as soon as you get to Wyrm’s rock. (I’d go shopping first, there’s a ton of great gear you can just straight up buy as soon as you hit the city, or stuff you can quickly get from a short quest line (larroakan).

I mean how are you supposed to kill it early, barrel spam?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Can you not examine ground effects anymore (like fire or toxin or whatever)? I’m almost certain you used to be able to examine ground effects with the T key, but it’s not working for me. Patch mishap, or mod issue?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

There is a dialogue option you can pick in that convo which will prevent that from happening.

Probably the one that says it's somehow on him. I just said "I'm sorry". If it weren't honor mode I'd have reloaded to try and salvage it if possible, but :shrug:

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

The Lord Bude posted:

people are hosed (and deeply ignorant). Anyone who pays any attention at all to the text can see that Astarion is an abuse victim who needs help.

just to be clear here I couldn't care less about how people choose to play their game. if they have one of the cringe mods I might make fun of them for it, butit's a single player experience, I don't give a poo poo. you could make a mod where you get to suck the dick of every npc in the lower city and I wouldn't care

mycot posted:

like 80% of the characters in the game are white & that's including the actual races that could never be white, I don't get this comment. it's a game about choice, and if you choose to be a poly gay slut, that's up to you. the straights can just be straight, except for the one time they accidentally let gale show them the lights, and the snowflakes amongst those can then go angrily post about sjw crap ruining their vidyas (and not corporate culture)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Tae posted:

I mean how are you supposed to kill it early, barrel spam?

I’m operating on the assumption that someone sweaty enough to know about it and do it would also have put at least some amount of effort into optimising their party. I did it pretty early - I got to the city, went shopping took care of Ethel and larroakan and breaking Florrick out and then went straight for it; I would have been level 11 at most. Killed it in one round. There isn’t a huge power jump between 10 and 12 really that doesn’t come from the shopping.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Tonetta posted:

Shadowheart is the bird you walk away from at a party immediately once you have a small amount of life experience.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm pretty sure that honor goes to the host's pet guard goose

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

the life experience is being chased by a goose

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

JBP posted:

Shadowheart is the bird you walk away from at a party immediately once you have a small amount of life experience.

How dare you

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
im on my first playthrough and i can safely say there are absolutely no red flags about a pouty goth chick who worships the darkness who wants to be a mega assassin for the darkness but has amnesia and occasionally looks conflicted over her glowing purple hand and/or the lament configuration

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I was going to say that she puts her red flags out early unlike the one who wants you to beat her up to prove you're worthy but let's be honest, Lae'zel is a bunch of red flags too. Meanwhile Karlach hides her low self-esteem that makes her put up with all kinds of poo poo from you, but also she's the first one that approaches me every game because she isn't an rear end in a top hat like Shadowheart, Lae'zel, or Astarion, and I never end up bringing Wyll or gale at low levels because Wyll doesn't do enough and Gale gets focused down in a round or two.

I like the sassy vampire twink but he disapproves of me being nice and I'm too much of a wimp to do an evil playthrough even in a game.

Is there good dialog I should avoid missing with Orin? I keep switching over to another character and attacking her because stop monologuing and fight me already.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

shadowheart just wins by default by being an attractive human woman apparently in her 20's. that is the ideal type for most people playing this game.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My first playthrough that I abandoned partway through act 1 I ended up romancing Shadowheart at the party because she's the least assholish out of Lae'zel, Astarion, and Shadowheart, and I didn't get around to recruiting Karlach until near the end of that abandoned run because she was kind of out of the way. If that's how a lot of people do their first run, it makes sense.

Maybe this has been discussed to death but did anyone feel like they were potentially setting up sequel characters in Arabella, Mol, and maybe even Mattis? I didn't realize until the end that you could bring Arabella and potentially Mol to the ending fight because no I'm not bringing child soldiers WTF is wrong with you but having tiefling children become capable of defending themselves and surviving where a bunch of the adults die feels like they're trying to make them adventurers in a later game. You've got druid, warlock, and potential rogue right there with those three.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Probably the only companion you'd actually want to know irl is Wyll and he's a dude who was coerced into selling his actual soul

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

It's any popular game honestly. It's just ridiculous how invested people get. Just the other day, some butthurt person in another thread was insisting that people on SA and elsewhere were straight up lying about enjoying Cyberpunk 2077 for internet clout. Like, sorry it broke your heart but don't be that kinda of dick mate.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Actually no, Karlach is also surprisingly well-adjusted for a former child soldier who might actually blow up. All those other guys are :chloe: though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Danger - Octopus! posted:

It's any popular game honestly. It's just ridiculous how invested people get. Just the other day, some butthurt person in another thread was insisting that people on SA and elsewhere were straight up lying about enjoying Cyberpunk 2077 for internet clout. Like, sorry it broke your heart but don't be that kinda of dick mate.

Frankly any popular media, period. Or really any hobby or topic someone might emotionally invest themselves in. It's the same impulse that makes academia or politics as vicious as they are, just made more ridiculous for its pettiness and lack of stakes.

BG3 isn't unique in this regard. Far from it! It's just popular and recent.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I was listening to an interview with Karlach's actor and they said that they took inspiration from Titus Pullo in Rome. Trauma covered by debauchery, but that also means she's a ton of fun and still approves of you being A) good and B) a jackass doing dumb but funny stuff (volunteering to get beat up by the Lathander priest, drinking poisonous booze with the bartender Thorm). Wyll I just never run with because whenever I try to bring him into the group he ends up not filling a niche that I need and my latest run is a girl power run anyway.

Then in Act 3 Karlach's story is just endless gut punches once you're invested.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Tae posted:

git gud

I did it at level 10 on HM. Hide behind the crystals when he does his big energy attack and DPS the poo poo out of him. I did him with throwbarian Karla, Tav sorcadin, pure fighter Laez, and Shart to do some heals and planar bond thing one of the elementals. Each one of those characters (besides Shart) can do ~100+ damage per round. -

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Probably the only companion you'd actually want to know irl is Wyll and he's a dude who was coerced into selling his actual soul

Every time I click on him he shouts "The Blade of the Frontier!" or whatever, he's an obnoxious narcissist.