Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mokotow posted:

I decided to try it out after years if looking from the sidelines. Roberts had done some great stuff in the past, but the last 10 years of SC development are known to be a clusterfuck.

After a few hours in, I can say what I’ve experienced is a tech demo, maybe an alpha at best. I have to say, there are some fantastic moments, like when you take a train to the star port in New Babbage and lift off over the city for the first time - it’s some genuinely good poo poo. Is it 10-years-in-development good poo poo? Hell no.

I hear people say there is gameplay in this - hell, there’s nothing. There’s some great world building, which Roberts has always been loving brilliant at. The coding and gameplay are on prototype level - first thing I did was go i to hyperspace, lay in bed and get up to find myself deposited into space. Then the server broke down and trains were not running in the city so I couldn’t get back to the star port.

If this was an early access thing with a year or two under its belt, I’d be floored. 10 years? Lol. I knew what I was getting into and I hope my 45 bucks will go to a dev salary and not Gardi Sandiner’s anal bleaching or whatever the gently caress.

Good news! It's actually been in development for almost 14 years now. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

dialhforhero posted:

BG3 owns and you should also play with friends.

Wait.

It's multiplayer?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Time_pants posted:

Wait.

It's multiplayer?

Yes. Quite similar to the older BGs, in a way.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Picked up BG3 a couple days ago, and can concur it's pretty drat good and full of really impressive and fun surprises.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
sound
https://i.imgur.com/zDKqVM3.mp4

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yes, in flight a message appears...new CVE found crafted by the turtles or the tigers. You have to run around and patch the inflight entertainment systems.

I did get a kick out of it when Star Trek Resurgence made data breach disclosure a Major Command Decision

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Boy do I have fun news about weekly carrier fees for you

Nono I meant 'hire allies/mercenaries' - Elite didn't let you do that when I last played.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

DarkDobe posted:

Nono I meant 'hire allies/mercenaries' - Elite didn't let you do that when I last played.

I’ve got a little twerp taking like 12% of my haul to zip around in a fighter that I periodically give birth to to protect me

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Sometimes we switch roles tho iykwim

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Time_pants posted:

Wait.

It's multiplayer?

While I am the opposite of the DoS2 cheerleader, Larian came up with a pretty great solution to multiplayer there and that has been rolled into BG3. It's not how I prefer to play an RPG but it's certainly a thing.

Since I cannot stop wondering what the citizenry are thinking... what was the BG3 reaction? It was a critical and end user darling and I'm expecting "just imagine what it'd be if it was good" comments.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DarkDobe posted:

I mean that's not unreasonable and better games from nearly 30 years ago (Escape Velocity) already handled it.
Every ship you own costs upkeep - at the very least fuel - and you can HIRE OTHER SHIPS that charge you a flat fee per time-period to stay teamed up with you.
This second half is something that games like Elite Dangerous never did and it's idiotic beyond measure.
EV also let you conquer planets that would then pay you tithes so it's already more advanced.

Cheating in the forklift weapon and then extorting a planet before defeating 400 or so defense ships to subjugate it was rather amusing :D

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Mailer posted:

Since I cannot stop wondering what the citizenry are thinking... what was the BG3 reaction? It was a critical and end user darling and I'm expecting "just imagine what it'd be if it was good" comments.

IIRC, they were mostly just touting its numerous bugs as proof of Star Citizen's virtues. Pretty much the same way they react to any given buggy, much-anticipated game launch.

They do love anything that helps them to see their own exorbitant financial/emotional investment in the project as relatively justified.

Happy Sisyphus fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 7, 2024

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
What BG3 bugs are there? I only get occasional camera wonkiness in combat.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

There have been a bunch from the minor to the more serious, from surface save DCs not scaling properly to the caster, to character affection spiking oddly (hence "desperately horny Gale"), some spells and abilities not quite working right, and a general increasing roughness and lack of polish after act 1. They also did a bunch of tweaking and optimization post-release to help it run better. Patch notes obviously get into more issues.

Not really much on the "camera stuck in the toilet" tier that SC had a little while ago, though.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Time_pants posted:

Wait.

It's multiplayer?

OH yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmZFxAqZKuU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
The MP is what makes it awesome simply because you can have SO many different play through results.

Not least of which is when you are in a cutscene and your friends are loving around in the background like in Bethesda glitches during NPC conversations.

Also you don’t have to be near each other so literally your friends can go in three other directions and /start/continue/complete quests so you aren’t really limited.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

The first act of BG3 was already solid by release—but there was definitely a lot of wonkiness that could spring up in the last chunk of the game. major bugs with reactivity and quests, no epilogue, etc.

Basically, there were some real reasons to complain. The patches have helped a lot.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

This feels like being stuck in a nightmare or Kojima’s PT.

Wake up in bed. Travel do dock and get in my ship. Fly to moon to pick up box, lie down in bed and fall out into space as I get up. Die.

Wake up in hospital bed in hospital gown. This gown is now me and I wake up in it every day. Travel to dock and get in my ship. Fly to another moon to pick up a box. Try to put box on floor, but it reappears in my hands. Finally decide to sit in pilot’s seat with box in hands. Jump to hyperspace, reach destination only to find out controls are not working, I can however rotate the box in my hands. Game crashes.

Wake up in bed. Travel to dock and get in my ship only the trains are not running because the server poo poo itself. Turn game off.

Wake up in bed. Travel to dock only the elevator outside my flat is not working. Game crashes.

Wake up in bed. Etc.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

"its not about the destination, its about the friends profit we made along the way"

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

It’s like the shittiest Groundhog Day ever

Although I do have to ask , does the suicide button still work hilariously so ?

And Followup question - have they really not added a simple UI element to indicate when the server heartbeat loses communication ?

I’m sure there are all sorts of backwards hacks people have posted on Reddit to deduce if the server is dead , but for the casual player …

Of course the joke answer is why , it would be constantly flashing and chirping every 10 seconds thanks to Chris’ magic server technology lol

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 8, 2024

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah I mean maybe it’s as intended but clicking on anything functional has a 2-3 seconds lag always :shrug:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

the fidelity

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Mokotow posted:

Yeah I mean maybe it’s as intended but clicking on anything functional has a 2-3 seconds lag always :shrug:

i can't be bothered to find the charting, but i remember someone had gone to the trouble to wireshark the traffic between their computer and SC

and aside from the obvious horribly bloated packet spam, they found the 'lag' was in-line with absolute shittiest of modern online games

now that i've said that i will prob find the post

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
i need someone with archival knowledge of 14 years of funny videos to help find something rq

correct, although I'm now having flashbacks to old Star Citizen bugs where person control/ship control got mixed up in ways that made parts of your human body pitch/roll/yaw and now I really can't wait for The Stories about how this all works in the CK under the hood

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

i need someone with archival knowledge of 14 years of funny videos to help find something rq

i just did a little look and honestly there is so much garbage that comes up when searching for bug videos, it's not even worth it for me

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Blue On Blue posted:

i just did a little look and honestly there is so much garbage that comes up when searching for bug videos, it's not even worth it for me

Yeah I did a search before remembering that SC encourages people to upload their own bug videos for bug reports and it's Citizens so that's....a lot of bug reports to look through, so my only hope is someone remembers that they themselves posted a funny video 5 years ago ITT and dig it out of their own post history

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Yeah I did a search before remembering that SC encourages people to upload their own bug videos for bug reports and it's Citizens so that's....a lot of bug reports to look through, so my only hope is someone remembers that they themselves posted a funny video 5 years ago ITT and dig it out of their own post history

i mean the best place to start would be Pgabz videos

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

ok so one of the headline videos on 1st page of this very thread has a good one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go1oFvxUoeI&t=98s

i only skipped through till i found something like you were looking for , there may be more

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
Got around to looking at their financials and a few things need attention. Firstly, they spent $13m on capital expenditure in 2022? That's in the region of $15k per employee for the year. They talk about pandemic and creating great offices that people don't fear to go or whatever but in the previous ten years in total, they spent $20m. They also use that same end of pandemic reason for the increase in overheads, which rose from nearly $12m in 2021 to over $18m in 2022.

I remember once upon a time saying no matter how much money they are given, they will find a way to spend it and somehow this continues to be true. I'm all for another record year of funding just to see how it gets spent. Looking at some milestones. They've now spent over three quarters of a billion on Star Citizen. With another record year, 2024 could just be the year they raise over a billion dollars in total. Unfortunately it will most likely take at least a few months but probably nearer the end of 2025 to hit the one billion dollars spent.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

You know it just hit me

Has cig done any Ukraine 🇺🇦 sales tie in

Like buy this ship to support and stand with Ukraine only $299.50

Half the proceeds go directly to the Ukraine presidents new villa

The other half the sister villa cribberts just bought beside him

It’s perfect for them right up their alley of scummy money making , why leave money on the table is my question

And same for the Israel conflict

They’ve never shied away from political takes in the past

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Knowing their demographic there would be more of them that would want the donations going to the Russians.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Yeah. The median SC player is a conservative US middle aged man or older. They get mad every time there is anything Pride related in the game, but they still keep buying ships.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

lobsterminator posted:

Yeah. The median SC player is a conservative US middle aged man or older. They get mad every time there is anything Pride related in the game, but they still keep buying ships.

Yes good point

But they still manage to poo poo out a pride event regardless of the backlash from the best community in gaming

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Blue On Blue posted:

You know it just hit me

It’s perfect for them right up their alley of scummy money making , why leave money on the table is my question

A while ago, CIG (months into the conflict) picked the path of least effort and published a statement saying they stand with Ukraine. Similar to their "racism wouldn't be tolerated" statement a few months before that.

There were no sales or tie-ins that I'm aware of, but the best gaming community ever was not happy with the anti-authoritarian stance.

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 9, 2024

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Blue On Blue posted:

You know it just hit me

This would entail giving money to Ukraine, though, and wouldn't increase sales at all.

Nobody is sitting on the fence on ordering a new jpeg, just waiting for confirmation that some of the money will be funneled to the most corrupt European country.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i woulda believe the project kept going

but I'm truly staggered that jpg sales have more than doubled since 2019.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Presidents new villa?

Most corrupt european country?

What?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/1744564102008087029

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I tried to deliver a package and failed again. This is the third day trying to complete a quest.

While I managed to find the outpost the package was heading too, once there it really wanted me to put the package on top of a cabinet. I spent 15 minutes trying to do it but the package kept falling behind the cabinet, until I finally wasn't able to fish it out from behind it. Turns out I was supposed to put it into the cabinet, no idea why the marker was on top.

Also, I tried to place the package on the floor and while it did leave my hands today, it also ejected my character from the ship through the roof.

Sometimes the views are pretty :shrug:

Edit: It doesn't have an uninstall wizard, huh

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Mokotow posted:

Also, I tried to place the package on the floor and while it did leave my hands today, it also ejected my character from the ship through the roof.

Sometimes the views are pretty :shrug:

Edit: It doesn't have an uninstall wizard, huh

:allears: